Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Oh coolio, champ status for everyone this weekend :)

It's also nice that you benefit from your opponent's champ boost while playing duels. Thats a neat little addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If they really wanted to make gear matter they should tie the feats to gear. Then you could put on certain stuff and have certain feats. Base players would have base (easy to use) feats.

Obviously they would need more feats for each character but the Gear could have different cosmetic effects (i.e. the bombs look different, the smoke is a different color) and so that would be kinda fun.

Just allow gear in 1v1. Poors don't deserve fair fights.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like the main problem with skirmish is that there doesn't really seem to be sides in the fight. Players just spawn near the fight and the npcs are just in little clumps around the map. If you always spawned in your base with npc archers to prevent spawn camping, it would feel better I think.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Skirmish became fun when I stopped treating it like an endless search of 1v1s and just roam the map Lawbringer spearing people who are messing with my team. That said, I don't play it unless I've got orders pushing me that way.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

As long as gear score as a concept exists in game dominion and 4v4 will remain a garbage fire. That ain't good for the longevity of the game when a big chunk of multiplayer is in that state regardless of how good dueling is. This needs a patch asap.

I feel so bad for new players going in unaware and slamming face first into an impenetrable wall of revenge over and over not understanding why.

Mate, I got to Prestige 3 through 2v2's. I never touched 4v4 before that except maybe once or twice on launch day. Having a gear level of 60 leaves you strong enough to fend off against the higher geared players. People who have gear levels of 108 are few and far between. I basically got instant gear level of 60 upon dinging prestige 3 and I've never gone against enemy champs in 4v4 who wipe the floor with me cause of their scary item levels.

People put too much emphasis on it. The only thing that sucks about it is if you're playing another class who isn't Prestige 1 or above, it can be hard to compete cause gear levels before P1 are poo poo. But yeah, a basic gear level of 60 is more than enough to handle things in 4v4, especially if you're skilled at playing your class. Gear level doesn't magically make their attacks unparryable. It just means if you get hit, it'll hurt more. But the flip side of that is, with 60 gear, you'll be hitting slightly harder too.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

FAUXTON posted:

You'd think more people would like it with how it's dominion-style deathmatch without any cap points. You even can slay mooks for a point a piece and the bots have the same waypoints. It does, however, have gear stats so naturally it will boil down to one boosted jackass on their team sprinting around the map like Benny Hill.

Skirmish: Wow this is so boring, why aren't there objectives? gently caress this dumb mode, it's just team deathmatch with respawns.

Dominion: gently caress off with your "help" ping over on C, I have to accomplish nothing but getting killed at B for the entire match trying to play team deathmatch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The dumb thing about Skirmish is that since respawns are kind of all over the map, the first team to win a teamfight can then just roam around as a giant murderball picking off the enemy team one by one as they respawn all over the loving place.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Also, if I see someone has just gained revenge and they don't pop it. I'm not gonna swing at them. If they have revenge and go instantly to defensive play waiting to pop it as I attack, I'll gently caress off and leave them. That's the best thing about 4v4, you can piss off and go fight somewhere else, or run to a teammate to get them to assist you.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Campbell posted:

For Honor became fun when I stopped treating it like an endless search of 1v1s and just roam the map Lawbringer spearing people who are messing with my team.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The only class I ever thought beat me BECAUSE of gear score was a shugoki who took half my health in a single non revenge hit with armor.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The big dirty secret of most competitive games (including this one) is that for the vast majority of the population playing, 99% of the time they lose is because they hosed up and poo poo like gear and character match ups had very little to do with it.

The number of Lawbringer players crying on Reddit about the PK/Orochi buffs is lmao

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Loopoo posted:

Mate, I got to Prestige 3 through 2v2's. I never touched 4v4 before that except maybe once or twice on launch day. Having a gear level of 60 leaves you strong enough to fend off against the higher geared players. People who have gear levels of 108 are few and far between. I basically got instant gear level of 60 upon dinging prestige 3 and I've never gone against enemy champs in 4v4 who wipe the floor with me cause of their scary item levels.

People put too much emphasis on it. The only thing that sucks about it is if you're playing another class who isn't Prestige 1 or above, it can be hard to compete cause gear levels before P1 are poo poo. But yeah, a basic gear level of 60 is more than enough to handle things in 4v4, especially if you're skilled at playing your class. Gear level doesn't magically make their attacks unparryable. It just means if you get hit, it'll hurt more. But the flip side of that is, with 60 gear, you'll be hitting slightly harder too.

As someone who games a lot but is not hardcore because time constrictions and such let me tell you that it is frustrating watching the matchmaker pit you in match after match where you are gear score 16 or 18 and the enemy is 74 or 89 or 106. There is a difference, it is frustrating and it is poor game design decision to have it occur so frequently.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SoggyGravy posted:

As someone who games a lot but is not hardcore because time constrictions and such let me tell you that it is frustrating watching the matchmaker pit you in match after match where you are gear score 16 or 18 and the enemy is 74 or 89 or 106. There is a difference, it is frustrating and it is poor game design decision to have it occur so frequently.

If it's any consolation the other team is having twice as much fun so it all evens out.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

SoggyGravy posted:

Also it's not even just gear level. People can say "get good" but when my team is 4 people who are under prestige 1 and thus have only a few hours in the game played and the enemy team is prestige 3 and up or gear level 106 pro poop socker who knows every match up, it's pretty "not fun" even if gear score isn't making them imbalanced or whatever. I think it was someone in the Street Fighter community that said the popular idea that you learn from playing people better than you is true but when someone is facing people so much better than them that they literally can't even know what they are doing, it doesn't help at all and is not fun. That kind of stuff will really hurt player retention and will create a vicious circle that'll depopulate the game quickly if it's something that isn't fixed early on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Gear isn't really an issue unless it's whatever high level people are doing to be able to pop revenge after blocking two or three hits. Revenge in general is kind of a dumb mechanic and makes fighting a high prestige player feel like you're up against some bullshit fighting game boss that revives themselves and comes back stronger when you kill them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I almost never run into an issue where my entire team is drastically new and the other team is 108 geared people. I do run into issues where someone on my team is screaming that everyone else sucks while they're getting killed every round. I think that's more of a common issue.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
The heck happened to the servers that even 1v1 duels become teleporting jank-fests? I was having so much fun with this game until every connection became unplayable. And to stem off the "check your connection" feedback, done and done (plus I'm on a wired connection).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SoggyGravy posted:

I'm an Engineer student, buddy, I don't have much time to play this game either. Orochi is P3 and everyone else hasn't even hit level 15 yet. That being said, I hopped in a 4v4 match the other day with my level 9 Kensei and poo poo gear, and I got to the top of the leaderboard cause I know how to counter other classes and how to best use Kensei to his max. Gear isn't the be all, end all. I had one guy on my team with level 80 gear, and the other team had 3 guys with 80+ gear.

Kaidyn posted:

Also it's not even just gear level. People can say "get good" but when my team is 4 people who are under prestige 1 and thus have only a few hours in the game played and the enemy team is prestige 3 and up or gear level 106 pro poop socker who knows every match up, it's pretty "not fun" even if gear score isn't making them imbalanced or whatever. I think it was someone in the Street Fighter community that said the popular idea that you learn from playing people better than you is true but when someone is facing people so much better than them that they literally can't even know what they are doing, it doesn't help at all and is not fun. That kind of stuff will really hurt player retention and will create a vicious circle that'll depopulate the game quickly if it's something that isn't fixed early on.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo. Prestige don't mean poo poo. It just means they've played longer with that specific character, but I've seen P3 players who can't even tech guardbreaks. Anyone can get to Prestige 20 if they hammer out enough games, it's not indicative of skill level.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Gear isn't really an issue unless it's whatever high level people are doing to be able to pop revenge after blocking two or three hits. Revenge in general is kind of a dumb mechanic and makes fighting a high prestige player feel like you're up against some bullshit fighting game boss that revives themselves and comes back stronger when you kill them.

You can play around the revenge gear builds by just not ganging up on them tbh. They still get it faster even in a 1v1 but it's a lot more manageable.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

I'm an Engineer student, buddy, I don't have much time to play this game either. Orochi is P3 and everyone else hasn't even hit level 15 yet. That being said, I hopped in a 4v4 match the other day with my level 9 Kensei and poo poo gear, and I got to the top of the leaderboard cause I know how to counter other classes and how to best use Kensei to his max. Gear isn't the be all, end all. I had one guy on my team with level 80 gear, and the other team had 3 guys with 80+ gear.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo. Prestige don't mean poo poo. It just means they've played longer with that specific character, but I've seen P3 players who can't even tech guardbreaks. Anyone can get to Prestige 20 if they hammer out enough games, it's not indicative of skill level.

Prestige 3 is what? 15 hours? 20? More? I'm pretty sure you've played the game plenty.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Proof that gear stats and levels don't mean poo poo. I played awfully with Nobushi cause I don't know her combos yet and when I panic, I just resort to weak combos that are easy to block. 7 kills, 4 deaths, and the enemies had better gear than our team. We had one dude with level 80 gear, they had 2 people with 80 gear. I managed to kill them a solid few times as Nobushi despite having gently caress-all in terms of gear. I realised I was a poo poo Nobushi, so instead I'd protect A and C and try and bait enemies to follow me to where my teammates were so we could smash them. I was also the resident team reviver. Their enemy berserker was really strong, so I'd keep fighting him to keep him busy, just playing defensively, and then I'd run off and lead him into my teammates.

I do a lot better when I pick Kensei cause I actually know how to play him, despite him also having nothing in terms of gear.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People can't pop their revenge when a Shugoki picks them up and snaps their spine.

Shugoki is a team player.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Proof that gear stats and levels don't mean poo poo. I played awfully with Nobushi cause I don't know her combos yet and when I panic, I just resort to weak combos that are easy to block. 7 kills, 4 deaths, and the enemies had better gear than our team. We had one dude with level 80 gear, they had 2 people with 80 gear. I managed to kill them a solid few times as Nobushi despite having gently caress-all in terms of gear. I realised I was a poo poo Nobushi, so instead I'd protect A and C and try and bait enemies to follow me to where my teammates were so we could smash them. I was also the resident team reviver. Their enemy berserker was really strong, so I'd keep fighting him to keep him busy, just playing defensively, and then I'd run off and lead him into my teammates.

I do a lot better when I pick Kensei cause I actually know how to play him, despite him also having nothing in terms of gear.

Guy you're kind of dumb so I'll lay it out in really simple terms:

If two equally skilled players are fighting, the one that has gear that makes them get Revenge off of two or three blocks is gonna win.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

If two equally skilled players are fighting, the one that has gear that makes them get Revenge off of two or three blocks is gonna win.

Nah, not necessarily. You can bait revenge, throw them off, parry their attacks etc.

You're obviously at a disadvantage but it's not 10-0.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

fadam posted:

Nah, not necessarily. You can bait revenge, throw them off, parry their attacks etc.

He said they're equally skilled. Put another way, if you had a mirror match between Bob and Bob, gear score would be the defining factor.

He's right.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

As someone who runs into this since i dont scavenge this is not true. People are even more predictable in revenge mode than normal and cliffs and spikes are everywhere.

The only player ive seen use revenge properly in 1v1 waited till he was both low hp and out of stamina to pop it which is something ive seen literally once.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

fadam posted:

"If two equally skilled players fight, better gear wins"
"Nah, not if one player is more skilled"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

"If two equally skilled players fight, better gear wins"
"Nah, not if one player is more skilled"

A less skilled player can throw a higher skilled player off a cliff. Consistently good players lose to random people in fighting games all the time.

I get that it's nice to try and blame losses on something other than being bad but lmao at the number of people in this thread who think its their gear or their character holding them back.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

fadam posted:

The big dirty secret of most competitive games (including this one) is that for the vast majority of the population playing, 99% of the time they lose is because they hosed up and poo poo like gear and character match ups had very little to do with it.

The number of Lawbringer players crying on Reddit about the PK/Orochi buffs is lmao

And yet you give the Lawbringers new stuff and they tell you, "I'm not using that! It is a bug. Report this man for being so dishonourable."

So what if Lawbringer has a buggy kit with a bit of a execution barrier to use, the tools the devs intended to give him are pretty lackluster and he can be waay more interesting.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Guy, you're kind of rude, so I'll lay it out in really simple terms:

See that little shitter of a Peacekeeper at the back? She had better gear than me, and played pretty well. I still kicked her rear end. She'd pop revenge and I'd just go defensive until it ran out. She started running from me in fights cause I wasn't a retard and didn't play aggressively against someone in revenge who has uninterruptible attacks.

My point wasn't about two equally skilled players. My point was you can be low level, low gear and still do well in 4v4s and have fun. Too many of you bitch about it being a death sentence when it loving isn't. Aye, they get revenge quicker, and their attacks hurt more. But it doesn't magically make them better players. If you're retarded and try to get hits in on a revenging player, you deserve to die.

PS: Look at our Prestige 5 Orochi with oooh scary 100 gear level. He was poo poo.

I've also noticed, playing lower level classes with poo poo gear, I do much better in 4v4s. When I'm my main, I go too ballsy and try to bite off more than I can chew.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 28, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Some baffling arguments going on here. 1v1 matches with one character having statistically more powerful gear are actually balanced because the person with high level gear might be bad at the game? It doesn't make them invincible and you can beat high level players if you play well yourself, but if I have an axe with 1 attack and you have an axe with 2 attack, you clearly have the advantage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Some baffling arguments going on here. 1v1 matches with one character having statistically more powerful gear are actually balanced because the person with high level gear might be bad at the game? It doesn't make them invincible and you can beat high level players if you play well yourself, but if I have an axe with 1 attack and you have an axe with 2 attack, you clearly have the advantage.

When people really like a game, they start to become invested in the idea of that game being good as part of their identity. This can turn a smart person very loving stupid.

It's not worth engaging with people like that after a point. They'll come down from the high eventually :shrug:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xeremides posted:

He said they're equally skilled. Put another way, if you had a mirror match between Bob and Bob, gear score would be the defining factor.

He's right.

He's right but that doesn't happen ever in this game. It's Bob and Bob and Jerry when Jerry's running up behind Bob and guard breaking him. It's Bob on a Kensei and other Bob on a Peacekeeper. The game literally never has equal footing even in duels and you will never fight a guy who is 100% like you. It's a stupid pedantic argument.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That's not what 90% of the people are moaning about though. They're moaning about the fact that gear stats ruin the game and give people some godlike sort of advantage that you can't do anything about.

I'm merely saying that for a majority of complainers, it's about the revenge mode builds, so in that case, the second they pop it, just block their attacks or run until it's over??? So many people try and attack someone revenging and it's just dumb cause they don't get interrupted, so their attack will land as well as yours and you'll come out worse at the end of it.

When people really like a game, they start to become invested in the idea of that game being good as part of their identity. This can turn a smart person very loving stupid.

It's not worth engaging with people like that after a point. They'll come down from the high eventually :shrug:

I don't know what your issue is or why you're being a jerk about this. Maybe it's not the people who are "invested in the idea of that game being good as part of their identity" and more the fact you are one hell of a condescending person. Just my two cents.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 28, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Doltos posted:

He's right but that doesn't happen ever in this game. It's Bob and Bob and Jerry when Jerry's running up behind Bob and guard breaking him. It's Bob on a Kensei and other Bob on a Peacekeeper. The game literally never has equal footing even in duels and you will never fight a guy who is 100% like you. It's a stupid pedantic argument.

Here, let me put it another way for your dull and unimaginative little brain.

"If two players are approximately equally skilled, gear can cover over the incidental mistakes of one player that might normally make the match a toss up and tip the balance in their favor". People who are of very similar skill levels fighting is not some outlandish scenario.

This mostly wouldn't be an issue if Revenge Gain wasn't a train wreck of game balance. The gains from other stats are very, very marginal.

Loopoo posted:

I don't know what your issue is or why you're being a jerk about this. Maybe it's not the people who are "invested in the idea of that game being good as part of their identity" and more the fact you are one hell of a condescending person. Just my two cents.

It is regrettable that you are unable to reflect on your own biases and predispositions in a sober fashion.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 28, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Nobody said it's balanced. It's just not unwinnable.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

fadam posted:

Nobody said it's balanced. It's just not unwinnable.

He isn't arguing that it's unwinnable. He's saying it skews the balance in favor of the person with better gear.

I feel like everyone is arguing past each other for the sake of continuing the argument.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
In the name of science, how many times can you do the Raider zone attack in a row before revenge ends with decent-max level gear. I don't have a raider with good gear yet to test for helicopters.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Why are there so many raiders in this match that you say is all about skillz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The only thing I learned this page is that you don't have to be very smart to study engineering.