Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GoPro is also a failing company with engineers that are likely too busy trying to figure out something, anything to make people upgrade to bother reading a spec sheet for a cable.

It is kinda funny how much e-waste is being generated in bad cables, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This isn't a cable issue, it's a charger issue.

The problem is, the logic being used is likely some off the shelf component that could be used in other products.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is Lightflow still the only way to control the LED for notifications? My Pixel is incredibly overzealous on flashing the LED in situations where my 5X never would have flashed. For example, the notification for apps updated and the weather timeline persistent notification both flash. Neither of those ever flashed on my 5X. What gives?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Is Lightflow still the only way to control the LED for notifications? My Pixel is incredibly overzealous on flashing the LED in situations where my 5X never would have flashed. For example, the notification for apps updated and the weather timeline persistent notification both flash. Neither of those ever flashed on my 5X. What gives?

Yes it is.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The pixel has a notification led? Oh huh it does.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Yes it is.

God dammit. It's been unreliable to the point of being unusable on the last 4 phones I've tried it on. 5th time's the charm, I guess

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The thread's recommendation for car chargers seems to be any good USB-A 12W (with an approved A-to-C cable), but is that useful for a 6P? I haven't found anyone confirming it can charge at 2.4A.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would some kind goon please link me to the list of goon-approved chargers and cables for the Pixel I'm about to go and drop £600 on in 30 minutes? I'm in the UK if that's any odds.

I think this is up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

LastInLine posted:

Yes it is.

What about Light Manager?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Taffer posted:

The 6P does it too. I've started getting them for traffic alerts.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

seravid posted:

The thread's recommendation for car chargers seems to be any good USB-A 12W (with an approved A-to-C cable), but is that useful for a 6P? I haven't found anyone confirming it can charge at 2.4A.

No, the 6p can only charge at 1.5a even on an apple 12w charger. Only the Pixels can respond to that special 2.4a signaling Apple's charger sends.

Nathan K is hopeful though that given the differences in the phones, this is simply a software difference and can be patched in a future update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

God dammit. It's been unreliable to the point of being unusable on the last 4 phones I've tried it on. 5th time's the charm, I guess

I've used LightFlow on every Nexus since the Galaxy Nexus and it's always functioned flawlessly. I know Samsungs have LED weirdness so I could see those maybe not working and of course the Nexus 6 couldn't use the LED in certain situations but that's a hardware limitation. Either way, it's still working perfectly on my Pixel.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I've used LightFlow on every Nexus since the Galaxy Nexus and it's always functioned flawlessly. I know Samsungs have LED weirdness so I could see those maybe not working and of course the Nexus 6 couldn't use the LED in certain situations but that's a hardware limitation. Either way, it's still working perfectly on my Pixel.

I used it on a HTC G2, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5, and Nexus 5X, and it worked completely inconsistently on all of them.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

anakha posted:

No, the 6p can only charge at 1.5a even on an apple 12w charger. Only the Pixels can respond to that special 2.4a signaling Apple's charger sends.

Nathan K is hopeful though that given the differences in the phones, this is simply a software difference and can be patched in a future update.

Thanks and I think I'm gonna go with the regular 10W; I doubt this update is (ever) happening.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I honestly don't know if lightflow is working on my PXL or not. Huh.

Either way, its working like I want it to.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I used LightFlow for years, but switched to Light Manager last year when I got my 6P. Now I'm using it on my Pixel. I would recommend it to people who don't like LightFlow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

I used it on a HTC G2, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5, and Nexus 5X, and it worked completely inconsistently on all of them.

You've got to be doing something wrong which I'll admit is far too easy for a user to do with the complexity that LightFlow has. Are you using the legacy version? Are you trying to do anything more complicated than "Light up [color] for [app notification]?"

I've never tried to do anything with sounds or vibrations or anything like contact colors or stuff like that. The only time I tried doing that was with Google Now notifications and those weren't inconsistent but rather too consistent since every time Google Now would refresh in the background, the notification would trigger anew. I've never had it not work every time though, it's been completely rock solid the whole time.

Edit: Never did reply to this:

Guillermus posted:

Is it only me or the Nokia 6 looks really nice for its price. 229€ for a SD430, 4GB RAM and 64GB storage is a killer.

According to Ars, there's only 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage at that price. Still, if that's the price and they update the way they say they're going to, it's certainly going to get some recommendations around these parts.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 28, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

seravid posted:

I think this is up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

What about Light Manager?

Thanks. Jesus, why are all these chargers so expensive?

I currently have this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A42R46G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could I pair it with this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...usb+a+to+c+6+ft

and charge the Pixel at full speed without blowing it up?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Quality was always expensive (relatively).

It just didn't matter as much until now. When you start including logic into the charging circuit, it becomes all that more important to get it right and test properly.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Benson Leung keeps a wish list of approved cables and chargers on his Amazon account, and this $10 car charger is on it:
Vinsic USB Type C Car Charger

He only took off a star because it doesn't split the power correctly when two things are charging; I don't foresee ever using both at the same time so it doesn't bother me.

Get it with an approved USB C cable (Anker's is $8) and be good to go.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Humerus posted:

Benson Leung keeps a wish list of approved cables and chargers on his Amazon account, and this $10 car charger is on it:
Vinsic USB Type C Car Charger

He only took off a star because it doesn't split the power correctly when two things are charging; I don't foresee ever using both at the same time so it doesn't bother me.

Get it with an approved USB C cable (Anker's is $8) and be good to go.

If you're directing this towards me, I don't need a car charger. If you're not directing this towards me, ignore me :unsmith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have that charger.

You are better off with an Apple charger with A-C cable if you have a Pixel.

The charger doesn't have IR drop compensation so the voltage with most cables drops too low for the Pixel to request a full 3A. It usually charges at sub 2A. It's safe and compliant, but not optimal for the Pixel due to its charging logic.

The only exception I found is with the short Belkin thunderbolt cable on the approved list because it has insanely low IR drop. But it's also a $30 cable.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Does Android (Pixel, specifically) use a phone's fingerprint sensor like the iPhone does for logging into apps securely? I'm trying to think of the things I'll miss by switching and not having to remember (or enter) passwords for a lot of my apps is something I really enjoy about iOS.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ShoogaSlim posted:

Does Android (Pixel, specifically) use a phone's fingerprint sensor like the iPhone does for logging into apps securely? I'm trying to think of the things I'll miss by switching and not having to remember (or enter) passwords for a lot of my apps is something I really enjoy about iOS.
Assuming the app includes it, yes. Android Pay, Mint, various online banking, LastPass all use the fingerprint to authenticate.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Benson's list is outdated, guy named Nathan K has taken over. List posted above. The Vinsic charger, for example, besides being picky about cables, also tries to charge your car if the socket isn't always powered.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I currently have this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A42R46G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could I pair it with this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...usb+a+to+c+6+ft

and charge the Pixel at full speed without blowing it up?

A to C limits you to 2.4A. Full speed requires a(n expensive) USB-C charger.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShoogaSlim posted:

As long as the app allows it, yes. My credit card app does, and it also works for the play store but other stuff might not. There's not really a "keyring" style quasi-SSO where your service-specific passwords are stored encrypted behind your fingerprint and passed to the app from your phone or anything if that's what you're looking for. At least not natively, it may be a KeePass/1password/lastpass thing though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oppo has a pretty cool camera in a prototype device:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpQnkcP6DE

It's basically a physical 3x zoom rotated 90 degrees so it can use the length of the phone to provide the physical space necessary for the zoom, rather than a huge camera bump.

I'm hoping to see stuff like this in the next couple of years from other makers too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

The 6P does it too. I've started getting them for traffic alerts.

The Pure Nexus rom adds notification light settings natively to the Rom. After using Stock for a while I forgot how much more active it uses the light and how little if ever it gets used on the stock rom without a 3rd party push.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oppo has a pretty cool camera in a prototype device:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpQnkcP6DE

It's basically a physical 3x zoom rotated 90 degrees so it can use the length of the phone to provide the physical space necessary for the zoom, rather than a huge camera bump.

I'm hoping to see stuff like this in the next couple of years from other makers too.

Yeah, saw that on AP. We humans really are slow at thinking in three dimensions... I can't wait to see it catch on.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Syrinxx posted:

Assuming the app includes it, yes.

FAUXTON posted:

As long as the app allows it, yes.

Thanks! Doesn't necessarily need to be the same tech that iOS uses. Whether either method is more secure or not would be completely unnoticeable a dumb user like me. Just want my convenience.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

WSJ reported Apple will move toward USB-C on iPhones but it seems like it might be more that chargers/Lightning cables will have USB-C ends rather than A and the phone itself still uses a Lightning port. That would at least give you one presumably reliable option for chargers and maybe force other major vendors to get on the same page. I hope?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple already makes USB-C chargers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And they have already had misfires with some of their products.

They had to recall one cable already and I think their notebook chargers don't strictly follow spec.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How can so many decent companies make such a mess of this?

Also, I bought a blue Pixel. It's quite nice. Setup was lots of fun, where the phone crashed 4 times during setup and restarted itself. Then there was this:

Google.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 28, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

seravid posted:

Benson's list is outdated, guy named Nathan K has taken over. List posted above. The Vinsic charger, for example, besides being picky about cables, also tries to charge your car if the socket isn't always powered.

A to C limits you to 2.4A. Full speed requires a(n expensive) USB-C charger.

Thanks for the head's up. It sucks that consumers have to do all this research but I'm sure when my mom is ready to upgrade her Galaxy S3 her new phone will be USB-C and I'll be ready.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, I bought a blue Pixel. It's quite nice. Setup was lots of fun, where the phone crashed 4 times during setup and restarted itself. Then there was this:

Google.

Could not having a SIM in it during setup be the cause? Spitballing here, not that it makes it any less ridiculous (if a SIM/cellular service is the "fix").

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Could not having a SIM in it during setup be the cause? Spitballing here, not that it makes it any less ridiculous (if a SIM/cellular service is the "fix").

I had my SIM in my S7 during this setup, so possibly. Technology, eh?

Oh, meant to ask... are these two safe?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M62LT3P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3SDP7R0Q4OS09&th=1

I could live without that charging at full speed, so long as it isn't destined to destroy this Pixel.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 1, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:lol: another one

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/28/google-quietly-launches-meet-an-enterprise-friendly-version-of-hangouts/?ncid=rss

quote:

Google has quietly launched a new video conferencing application called Meet by Google Hangouts, which is designed for HD video meetings.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh, meant to ask... are these two safe?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M62LT3P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3SDP7R0Q4OS09&th=1

I could live without that charging at full speed, so long as it isn't destined to destroy this Pixel.

Maybe? The cable has a 56k ohm resistor so it should be fine, but you might as well go with an approved cable from the list like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...powerline+usb-c

Regarding the charger: since you have a Pixel you should go with an Apple-type 12W to charge at 2.4A. Quick Charge and other proprietary techs won't do you any good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hello.

Has android's autocorrect been made way more aggressive recently? I've started to have problems where it just decides to change things and then I have to backspace to get it to revert.

Thank you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mine has been getting aggressive. I presume you mean the Google keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PerrineClostermann posted:

Mine has been getting aggressive. I presume you mean the Google keyboard

Yes, if that's the default keyboard that pops up from the bottom of the screen.