Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

nawcom posted:

Oh I'm referring to IMDB reviews and a couple Metacritic reviews - I should've been specific regarding that. Looks like in IMDB it's starting to reach 90% but it was low 80s and was curious on the reasoning behind the low scores.

Those people need more blue vape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I love this show, maybe more than the Expanse. And I hate Marvel shows now

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I keep seeing ads peddling The Expanse as "Game of Thrones in Space!" and even though I enjoy GoT, that ad alone has made me avoid The Expanse.

I'm just thankful nothing overtly advertised Legion as "Kubrick/Refn/Lynch with Super Heroes!" or I would be missing this rad show.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 25, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I keep seeing ads peddling The Expanse as "Game of Thrones in Space!"

I like GoT, I like the Expanse, but I wouldn't describe the Expanse as "Game of Thrones in Space!"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

hangedman1984 posted:

I like GoT, I like the Expanse, but I wouldn't describe the Expanse as "Game of Thrones in Space!"

If the protomolecule is the white walkers I can see the parallels. Humanity is locked in conflict while a greater threat is waiting in the wings.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Expanse is like I thought Game of Thrones would be based on all the hype. (instead it was just feudalism + nukes which is....just OK). The Expanse + Legion = awesome Wednesday night.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nawcom posted:

I'm looking through all the bad reviews out of curiosity. They seem to consist of:

- It's confusing and even by episode 3 I still don't understand the plot which makes it boring.
- It's difficult to follow.
- Jumpy storyline. No structure.
- It's pretentious. Trying to be like Kubrick.

All of those critiques are true though...? :raise:

I mean I like the show but I'm still waiting for there to be a plot. It seems like we kinda dropped that at the start of episode 2 and as of this week it still hasn't picked up. This show reminds me of the early season hump of Sense8 if anything. Visually stunning and intriguing but confusing and slow as hell.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's true that we didn't really learn much this episode, besides the rest of the characters learning EXACTLY how hosed up David is (which we've known for some time now), it's just that the ride is so good that I'm not planning to ever get off.

Seriously that episode was basically Psychonauts The TV Show and I can watch that all day

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nawcom posted:

I'm looking through all the bad reviews out of curiosity. They seem to consist of:

- It's pretentious. Trying to be like Kubrick.

Have these people _seen_ Kubrick any time recently? Legion is dreamy and warm. Kubrick's filmography has the emotional life of a stick of chalk. They're both good (Kubrick's obviously better), but they're very very different. Plus, Legion doesn't do zooms.

(Ryan Murphy, on the other hand, loving loves extreme zooms. Chew on that one, critics.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Psychonauts the TV show is a great comparison haha

anyway yeah this show is pretentious as hell and the plot moves slow but I absolutely love those things about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Ryan Murphy, on the other hand, loving loves extreme zooms. Chew on that one, critics.)
The People vs. O.J. Simpson had the funniest camerawork I've ever seen on tv.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Seriously that episode was basically Psychonauts The TV Show and I can watch that all day

I had that exact thought, especially at the weird recurring World's Angriest Boy in the World monster and the walls cracking and hands poking through in the psychiatrist's office.

Escobarbarian posted:

the plot moves slow

Would you call the plot a Slowy Joey?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The Expanse + Legion = awesome Wednesday night.

Add The Magicians to that list. It's probably more on the fun side of the fun/great divide, but I've really loved season 2.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MiddleOne posted:

I mean I like the show but I'm still waiting for there to be a plot.

The plot is the exploration of David's mind.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's definitely one of the few shows I watch where I have to actually watch it as opposed to watch while fiddling with something else. If I don't concentrate I'm lost.

Also that book crushing her hand was hosed up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McDragon posted:

It's definitely one of the few shows I watch where I have to actually watch it as opposed to watch while fiddling with something else. If I don't concentrate I'm lost.

Also that book crushing her hand was hosed up.

You don't gently caress with the World's Angriest Boy in the World. :colbert:

Also, my guess is that the Shadow King possessed David and he did some very bad things to people as a kid that were so outlandish no one blamed him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
This show is rad as hell

AndyElusive posted:

I keep seeing ads peddling The Expanse as "Game of Thrones in Space!" and even though I enjoy GoT, that ad alone has made me avoid The Expanse.

I'm just thankful nothing overtly advertised Legion as "Kubrick/Refn/Lynch with Super Heroes!" or I would be missing this rad show.

Expanse is also rad as hell, and you should watch it, it has nothing in common with Game of Thrones (imo Expanse is much, much better).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Expanse is fantastic and you should not be putting it aside just because of a dumb ad.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Expanse suffers from being very slow at first and only really getting good during the last 3-4 episodes of season 1, but season 2 is great so far.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone think that the scientist guy is forge?

Also, I think that the dude in chapter 1 was a time traveling Legion.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I will be pretty disappointed if any characters in this are more than vague analogs of people from comics, including the shadow king. Syd as Rogue-ish is perfect, more than that is pushing it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

That is false advertisement and you should watch The Expanse. It's got great writing for the most part and surprisingly good production design. I think season 2 isn't quite as good so far since it's missing the sense of mystery that permeated season 1, but it's still pretty good and episode 4 brings some of that mystery back.

Legion talk:

People have probably already said this, but the yellow-eyed guy is probably an invader who has partially locked down David's mind. He seems particularly interested in hiding the identity of David's father, and the Angriest Boy book seems to be part of that ploy. Not sure about the purpose of the physical manifestation of the Angriest Boy yet. My assumption is that it's a scare tactic created by the yellow-eyed guy?

Also, Syd can probably see him since she swapped with David for a bit.

That reminds me... that Syd could use David's powers would mean that David's mutant powers are a physical ability inherent to his body, rather than being manifested from conscious thought. An interesting pseudo-scientific implication.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

ViggyNash posted:

That reminds me... that Syd could use David's powers would mean that David's mutant powers are a physical ability inherent to his body, rather than being manifested from conscious thought. An interesting pseudo-scientific implication.

Well yeah. I mean they are mutants whose DNA has mutated and evolved to unlocked unique abilities. The idea that their power is tied to their physical body is sort of the crux of the entire X-men universe.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

The Expanse suffers from being very slow at first and only really getting good during the last 3-4 episodes of season 1, but season 2 is great so far.

C-

You mixed up "really getting good" with "getting really good"

easy mistake.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonrah posted:

Well yeah. I mean they are mutants whose DNA has mutated and evolved to unlocked unique abilities. The idea that their power is tied to their physical body is sort of the crux of the entire X-men universe.

My thinking is this. Lets say we have a phone with some set of features. We add an OS onto said phone which can interface with only a subset of the features. It is no longer capable of, in any way, understanding information coming from those other features, if any.

On the other hand, we could get swapped into a bat and, if we apply the empirical evidence given by the Syd-David body swap, be fully capable of using echolocation and being able to fly, given time. Even though our consciousnesses were not "designed" to work with the features of a bat's body, we would be able to interface with them and use them. It would imply that consciousness is fully adaptable to its environment, which is wholly different than a computer program.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's a binary assumption at work in those examples that might not entirely fly depending on how they work out David's situation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was ready to write this show off after two episodes that were mostly a collection of disjointed scenes, but I liked this episode, it's coming together into a semi coherent narrative right when it needs to.

RE: The Expanse, the way I think of it is The Expanse does for space opera what Mr. Robot does for hacking shows, a far more accurate setting with excellent writing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welp, you guys have done more to interest me in The Expanse than anything else I've seen.

So maybe I'll give Game of Thrones in Space a shot after all!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dragonrah posted:

I hope this means we get a hilarious/horrifying episode down the line where people keep bodyswapping with Syd and causing havoc with each others' powers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So what are the chances that Jean Smart is got possessed by the yellow eyed monster?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mulva posted:

There's a binary assumption at work in those examples that might not entirely fly depending on how they work out David's situation.

Yeah, there's definitely assumptions in there. It's more of a potential implication, if you were willing to roll with those assumptions.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

McSpanky posted:

I hope this means we get a hilarious/horrifying episode down the line where people keep bodyswapping with Syd and causing havoc with each others' powers.

I wonder if that would be the best way to treat his illnesses. Put him somewhere he can wreck havoc for a while.

Syd seemed to survive being in his body without ending the world, too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Syd seemed to survive being in his body without ending the world, too.

She's recovered from that entire ordeal remarkably well. Not sure whether to put that down to deliberate or accidental characterisation -- though you'd have thought she'd have made a bigger deal out of accidentally murdering someone.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's recovered from that entire ordeal remarkably well. Not sure whether to put that down to deliberate or accidental characterisation -- though you'd have thought she'd have made a bigger deal out of accidentally murdering someone.

Who burnt those goons to a crisp at the swimming pool? Was it Syd?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
When I first saw the episode I assumed that it was Kerry, if we go by the logic of one mutant = one power. (Barring David, because he's a special case).

But she and Cary seem to have some body sharing thing going on, so that could be the limit of it or they could be some sort of Firestorm analogue.

If not, I assume Melanie Bird has some sort of power, so she could be the pryokinetic, and there was another unnamed mutant down at the sea shore during the raid (in addition to the TK guy, Kerry, Ptonomy, David, Dr Bird and Syd), so they could have done it.

Syd just seems to be able to do her version of body swapping.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
David is connected to a pretty powerful pyrokinetic in the comics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McSpanky posted:

I think she can only do one swap at a time until it wears off and she comes back home. The doctor literally dragged her/David off after their swap, and it seemed like her power was temporarily disabled.

I'd like to state again what a delight Lenny is. She lights up every scene she's in with her incredible crudeness. :allears:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well that was the scariest hour of TV I can remember. Yikes. Every time the Angriest Boy moved forward I was loving skeeved out.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Well that was the scariest hour of TV I can remember. Yikes. Every time the Angriest Boy moved forward I was loving skeeved out.

He scares me way more than the fat man with the yellow eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Legion is kinda low key the best horror show I've seen in a long time. The yellow eyed devil and the world's angriest boy are both pretty creepy.