Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dizz posted:

Believe it or not a lot of people voted trump because he said what they wanted to hear, and now they're regretting it because they not only didn't get what they wanted, but because of all the other poo poo too.

It's pretty great.

stone cold posted:

incredibly bigoted pandering on the part of Trump

I covered that, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Brainiac Five posted:

This is solely based on personal associations, rather than the actual programs of the people involved. So, we can assume that voters are just inevitably stupid and ignorant and have to be pandered to with staginess forever and ever, or we could actively reshape American politics to be less soundbite-oriented through directly resisting the novocaine atmosphere of edutainment.

No I'm saying the majority of Americans do not have the time and education to accurately follow politics, not that all voters are stupid and ignorant.

Most people don't know poo poo about how the government works, largely because our schools are terrible with civics and a complex slew of cultural reasons.

Personal associations matter quite a bit in politics as well, I don't know why you think they wouldn't. Hillary's association with noted war criminal Kissinger certainly didn't help her, and the Trump administration's association with a fuckload of Russians is not helping them.

I would love to reshape American politics and move it in a less soundbite direction, but that requires like 100 changes that need to be in effect for half a generation, minimum. And in order to get those changes, you have to play the optics game.

In fact, I cannot remember a time when Democratic governments didn't pander with staginess. From the Greeks to now that his how you sell things to the people. Maybe we should try actually playing the game instead of pretending that we can win while being above it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RasperFat posted:

No I'm saying the majority of Americans do not have the time and education to accurately follow politics, not that all voters are stupid and ignorant.

Most people don't know poo poo about how the government works, largely because our schools are terrible with civics and a complex slew of cultural reasons.

Personal associations matter quite a bit in politics as well, I don't know why you think they wouldn't. Hillary's association with noted war criminal Kissinger certainly didn't help her, and the Trump administration's association with a fuckload of Russians is not helping them.

I would love to reshape American politics and move it in a less soundbite direction, but that requires like 100 changes that need to be in effect for half a generation, minimum. And in order to get those changes, you have to play the optics game.

In fact, I cannot remember a time when Democratic governments didn't pander with staginess. From the Greeks to now that his how you sell things to the people. Maybe we should try actually playing the game instead of pretending that we can win while being above it.

But they're following internal politics poo poo like the DNC chair election, huh.

I mean, you seem to sincerely believe that only lying and deceit can achieve anything and I hope you get the therapy you need for your clear depression but I ain't gonna argue with someone's warped worldview because that's just trying to be CBT via the internet.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Brainiac Five posted:

So are we gonna recruit Nazis? We gonna adopt a Nazi platform? How many Jewish people are you gonna put into the gas chambers?

You might need to take a bit of a timeout

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
the working class consists of more than just white people, no one needs to be thrown under the bus to reach out to them (except corporate lobbyists). if someone decides they care more about loving over minorities than their own livelihood then we don't want their vote but that is absolutely no reason not to reach out to the rest of them when they're a crucial group of voters currently getting hosed over by both parties.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheRat posted:

We can't turn down Nazi votes, Norwegian. It is essential we pander to Nazis lest we lose the fascist vote. Maybe if instead of borking all the drat day and footling around with hydroelectric power you actively supported Nazis you'd be a superpower like the USA.

yellowyams posted:

the working class consists of more than just white people, no one needs to be thrown under the bus to reach out to them (except corporate lobbyists). if someone decides they care more about loving over minorities than their own livelihood then we don't want their vote but that is absolutely no reason not to reach out to the rest of them when they're a crucial group of voters currently getting hosed over by both parties.

Who are the people saying anything else? Someone quote this post so my vagueposting can react to her vagueposting.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Brainiac Five posted:

We can't turn down Nazi votes, Norwegian. It is essential we pander to Nazis lest we lose the fascist vote. Maybe if instead of borking all the drat day and footling around with hydroelectric power you actively supported Nazis you'd be a superpower like the USA.

Are you ok? Do we need to call someone?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

This might be presumptuous, but I'm pretty sure he means "you need a way to make those jobs happen. Full stop, no ambiguity." Wanting to create jobs and actually managing it are two separate things, and it's clear that most voters cannot distinguish between trying and being stopped from doing something and lying about it.

Are we doing another "well its impossible to pass anything ever" Left communist argument?

KwegiboHB posted:

You're right, how dare I even suggest getting more votes is a good thing.

You need a therapist because you won't acknowledge that stone cold is a poor persecuted genius who is always right.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brainiac Five posted:

So are we gonna recruit Nazis? We gonna adopt a Nazi platform? How many Jewish people are you gonna put into the gas chambers?
Let's ask Crowsbeak, he is usually repeating the latest nazi talking points pretty loud.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Brainiac Five posted:

Please seek help.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

Let's ask Crowsbeak, he is usually repeating the latest nazi talking points pretty loud.

Crowsbeak can't use verb tenses right, he'd end up demolishing the whole death camp in a zany slapstick moment straight out of Jerry Lewis's The Day The Clown Cried.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Please seek help.

I'm curious as to why you're defending the proposition that we need to pander to racists and sexists because we can't afford to turn down their votes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There's no need to pander to racists, just win back the 6 million Obama voters who didn't vote.

poo poo, you only gotta win back like half, really.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Are we doing another "well its impossible to pass anything ever" Left communist argument?

You need a therapist because you won't acknowledge that stone cold is a poor persecuted genius who is always right.

And you need serious institutional help since you think normalizing pedophilia is okay.

I cannot stress enough how hosed up that is.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

There's no need to pander to racists, just win back the 6 million Obama voters who didn't vote.

Please tell "KwegiboHB" that, he seems to not understand it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Brainiac Five posted:

But they're following internal politics poo poo like the DNC chair election, huh.

I mean, you seem to sincerely believe that only lying and deceit can achieve anything and I hope you get the therapy you need for your clear depression but I ain't gonna argue with someone's warped worldview because that's just trying to be CBT via the internet.

They're following it because it's being framed as a war for the soul of the Democrats, not because they're genuinely interested in internal D politics.

Also, saying that stagecraft is a part of politics is not that other poo poo you're saying but way to say that people who disagree with do so because they're mentally ill and need therapy, Zak Smith.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Confounding Factor posted:

Anything you can tell me what Perez has said that gives you hope? I'm still suspicious of the Democratic Party.

There was the thing about making the Democrats actually run in elections which is a huge boost. I could have sworn he said something Sunday as well but I don't remember what it was

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

They're following it because it's being framed as a war for the soul of the Democrats, not because they're genuinely interested in internal D politics.

Also, saying that stagecraft is a part of politics is not that other poo poo you're saying but way to say that people who disagree with do so because they're mentally ill and need therapy, Zak Smith.

I recommend you read kwegibo's posts. I've been down that hopeless hole, and I sincerely hope that's just a posting gimmick, because that's an extremely unhealthy place to constantly be in. I genuinely get worried about people like that.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Comrade Fulchrum how do you intend to accomplish your proposed revolution? I mean you seem pretty adamant that a good portion of this country should be put in reconditioning camps.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brainiac Five posted:

Crowsbeak can't use verb tenses right, he'd end up demolishing the whole death camp in a zany slapstick moment straight out of Jerry Lewis's The Day The Clown Cried.

I always get that movie confused with Life is Beautiful. What specifically happened at the end?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

No, I straight up don't believe that the average person cared about this election at all, and conflating people on twitter who talk about politics with them is a bad idea.

Saying that you need to lie to people, that you can't be honest with people, is exactly what is being proposed. You have to tell them the chair of the DNC is elected while carefully restraining anyone from entering the race who could be seen as "the establishment candidate". You have to prioritize the image over the reality. That's dishonesty and putting it ahead of honesty is probably far more of a factor in the decline of the Democratic Party than anything people talk about in this thread.

It would be real great if you didn't call me a transphobic stalker and serial harasser in the future, thanks.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

TheRat posted:

He's going to post another 300+ times in the next few days and then the thread will be gassed

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

I always get that movie confused with Life is Beautiful. What specifically happened at the end?

According to people who've seen it, Jerry Lewis runs crying into the gas chambers out of guilt for his work supporting them and dies. It ends with an image of bodies in a mass grave.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

poo poo, you only gotta win back like half, really.

No you see because they didn't vote their really super racist and sexist. Also I hear they all use gendered insults like once a year.

Also I must be a pretty bad nazi to advocate gulags for all nazis in America.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Perfect Potato posted:

He's going to post another 300+ times in the next few days and then the thread will be gassed

People's personal obsession with me is really creepy and I guess I ought to buy some bear spray or something. Maybe a whistle.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Comrade Fulchrum how do you intend to accomplish your proposed revolution? I mean you seem pretty adamant that a good portion of this country should be put in reconditioning camps.

Well, we'll start with you, trying to cure you of your dual compulsions to spread right wing propaganda, and to defend the molestation of kids.

If we can remove those cancerous parts of your personality, we'll, you'd still be a douche, but at least we'll have made you marginally more tolerable.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Brainiac Five posted:

No most Americans will hear 45 seconds about the chair and that's it.

"Perez won the vote for DNC chair this week, beating out Bernie and progressive backed Ellison. Ellison was named deputy chair"

Trump literally tweets that the election was rigged like the primaries, and the news covers that.

Then it's on to the Oscars "oh my god they messed up the best picture announcement! Let's go to the red carpet."

And when did I ever say I supported lying to people? Making a show of your platform and making some symbolic public gestures is not lying. I'm not really depressed either so I'm jut confused where that idea came from.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Well, we'll start with you, trying to cure you of your dual compulsions to spread right wing propaganda, and to defend the molestation of kids.

If we can remove those cancerous parts of your personality, we'll, you'd still be a douche, but at least we'll have made you marginally more tolerable.
You declaring anyone a cancer is hilarious.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I straight up don't believe that the average person cared about this election at all, and conflating people on twitter who talk about politics with them is a bad idea.

Saying that you need to lie to people, that you can't be honest with people, is exactly what is being proposed. You have to tell them the chair of the DNC is elected while carefully restraining anyone from entering the race who could be seen as "the establishment candidate". You have to prioritize the image over the reality. That's dishonesty and putting it ahead of honesty is probably far more of a factor in the decline of the Democratic Party than anything people talk about in this thread.

It would be real great if you didn't call me a transphobic stalker and serial harasser in the future, thanks.

Sorry, I reversed sides in this conflict. I agree with you 100% and I apologize for my comment.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Sorry, I reversed sides in this conflict. I agree with you 100% and I apologize for my comment.

It's no problem. These things happen.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm enjoying the extent to which Bernouts would, if someone they thought was a centrist-liberal-Maoist said "No!! There's a bus coming, get out of the road!", immediately tuck into a combat roll to get in front of the drat bus, and to hell with any neoliberal that says getting hit with a bus is a bad thing, they're just conspiring to disenfranchise people.

lol if you don't think Clinton's supporters didn't turn into the saltiest people on the planet after November

You just don't hear about much of them here because a shitload of them got banned for toxxing

The Dems will make zero headway in 2018 and 2020. They rather die off than move further to the left.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

lol if you don't think Clinton's supporters didn't turn into the saltiest people on the planet after November

You just don't hear about much of them here because a shitload of them got banned for toxxing

The Dems will make zero headway in 2018 and 2020. They rather die off than move further to the left.

You're a guy who shrieks about identity politics and political correctness and insists everyone must be made to suffer and rape survivors need to be told they deserved it so pardon me if I find your predictions unlikely.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I have more faith. Mostly because I have already seen centrists cancers pushed out of my local party. The part can be saved from them. As long as we remain engaged.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

"We cannot achieve utopia so we might as well not do anything. I see you're a left communist. Like good comrade Bordiga.

You used that to attack him as a Muslim. Seriously racist. I am starting tosee what the cntrists mean about racists among the left. We got a racist bolshivik here.

You suggested it comrade Fulchrum.

I remember the post you are talking about and I'm 99% sure that's not what he was doing and 100% sure I told you you were wrong and to shut up at the time. You misread something.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

I have more faith. Mostly because I have already seen centrists cancers pushed out of my local party. The part can be saved from them. As long as we remain engaged.

If we can get a big push to primary out these assholes on 2018/2020 me might see change. Just look at the response to getting barrages of phone calls to support Ellison. "We won't be told what to do"

If that is our reps response to demands from their constituents, they don't deserve the position.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So what I'm taking from this thread is that the typical voter is literally an animal, more specifically pan troglodytes, and that we must tell them outrageous lies to trick them into voting for us, but if our deception involves, depending on the audience, putting social justice issues on the backburner in favor of economic arguments, while remaining true to both, then we are filthy heretics and must be burned at the stake in the cleansing fire of identity politics. Sacrificed to the gods of centrism.

I mean, poo poo, it's a fine line to walk, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it :shrug: you've hardly let us down so far, after all.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Maybe we should just vote for socialists instead though, I dunno. This ∞-dimensional chess apparently required for a Democrat to win an election for so much as loving dogcatcher seems like a lot of effort and duplicity for the returns we get? Seems like there ought to be a better way. I will meditate on this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

I remember the post you are talking about and I'm 99% sure that's not what he was doing and 100% sure I told you you were wrong and to shut up at the time. You misread something.

Well you have this nasty habit of being an apologist for racists so its certainly wrong.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Brainiac Five posted:

You're a guy who shrieks about identity politics and political correctness and insists everyone must be made to suffer and rape survivors need to be told they deserved it so pardon me if I find your predictions unlikely.

Your thing where you tilt at strawmen is really getting unhinged. You need to take a break, you're not making any sense.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Kilroy posted:

So what I'm taking from this thread is that the typical voter is literally an animal, more specifically pan troglodytes, and that we must tell them outrageous lies to trick them into voting for us, but if our deception involves, depending on the audience, putting social justice issues on the backburner in favor of economic arguments, while remaining true to both, then we are filthy heretics and must be burned at the stake in the cleansing fire of identity politics. Sacrificed to the gods of centrism.

I mean, poo poo, it's a fine line to walk, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it :shrug: you've hardly let us down so far, after all.

You and me baby ain't nothing mammals,
So let's lie to the people on the CSPAN channel.

I don't know why telling people we will work on building factories in their districts = supporting nazis, but that's infighting on the left. We must preface every argument with bigotry is bad, or else we are supporting racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Voters are not that stupid. People do, however, want a simple coherent message and that is what Bernie's main appeal was.

• Locked thread