Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

They're not using Amazon Payments. They are using PayPal and some other PCI compliant payment processor.

I know. I was just remarking about how it's "such a big partnership", yet Amazon is like "Crowdfunding? Get out of here with that bullshit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

neonbregna posted:

Stop spreading fud

Well, Hellion is a buggy mess right now. But at least I can mine!

EDIT: And I love Hellion's orbital mechanics (It's like Kerbal Space Program had a baby with Rust.)

MinorInconvenience fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 28, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

At least there is always some money in the banana stand.

did you burn down the banana stand?

oh most definitely

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

neonbregna posted:

Has anyone let them know that Conan has dong slider tech?

Quiet you!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MinorInconvenience posted:

Oh my. This whole saga is insanity manifest. I am speechless. And a little ashamed I (in a very small way) contributed to this mess. (And thanks for pointing me to this.)

:allears: it's so cute watching them grow up right before your eyes

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

:allears: it's so cute watching them grow up right before your eyes

I've been burned by Kickstarter before (drat you GMS, I wanted to see Far West done!), but I learned my lesson years ago. So I see this less of a "growing up" thing and more of a "weeping for humanity" thing.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
About the whole employees flipping jpegs on the grey market thing...

Wasn't there an employee years back, one of the times LTI was going away, that would let someone send them a ship and some cash, LTI token it, and send it back? Like, this was all happening on the official forums.

Seems like that would be a decent source to help support the theory and if they could get jpegs cheap enough on internal discount to make it worth the extra income.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I get that I'm really late to this drama, but I ran across this article from last month. In it, Mr. Roberts admits that current development is funded from the monthly ship picture sales with a reserve to finish S42 if the monthly backer contributions dry up:

"Roberts explained:
'First of all, we always have a decent amount of money in reserve, so if all support would collapse, we would not suddenly be incapacitated. We plan the scope of the development based on what arrives monthly by the people to support. I’m not worried, because even if no money came in, we would have sufficient funds to complete Squadron 42. The revenue from this could in-turn be used for the completion of Star Citizen.'”

Isn't this a crazy huge admission? Maybe I missed it earlier in this threat, but drat! He admits they have almost no money left? Why did this article not create a shitstorm of Biblical proportions??

Part of why this hasn't really gained a lot of traction is because it just sort of confirms what everybody's been thinking. Most of the people who are still hoping for SC are pinning those hopes on SQ42 being a commercial success and funding continued development. The fact that CIG are basically running on fumes and clinging to ship concept sales has been pretty apparent to everybody who cares enough about the project to pay attention, but the difference in how to interpret that information is the dividing line between the hopeful and the critical.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

:siren: New Comm link is in. This week might be a good one for Space Comedy...especially Friday. :siren:

Ben Lesnick, Christ Roberts Historian

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 28, 2017

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Xarbala posted:

The fact that CIG are basically running on fumes and clinging to ship concept sales has been pretty apparent to everybody who cares enough about the project to pay attention, but the difference in how to interpret that information is the dividing line between the hopeful and the critical.

But that's madness! The idea that they have burned through $100+ million with nothing but some crappy tech demos to show for it????

I'm sorry. I just don't understand how so many can still be so blind. It's loving insane. I guess it really is a cult. A religion of Lord Croberts. Man. I thought people were smarter than this. Especially people with enough money to pour into this travesty.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But that's madness! The idea that they have burned through $100+ million with nothing but some crappy tech demos to show for it????

I'm sorry. I just don't understand how so many can still be so blind. It's loving insane. I guess it really is a cult. A religion of Lord Croberts. Man. I thought people were smarter than this. Especially people with enough money to poor into this travesty.

Oh it certainly is a special kind of crazy, but we've seen it so often and for so long that it's nice to see a fresh face able to react to the sheer scope of CIG's incompetence and scumminess like a rational human being. We're all just kinda jaded here.

My personal theory is that a load of people are just swerving really hard into the sunk cost fallacy.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

:siren: New Comm link is in. This week might be a good one for Space Comedy...especially Friday. :siren:

"Citizens of the stars", how many of these loving retarded 'TV shows' do they do? CIG would be better suited to run one of those really lovely self propelling home shopping network channels, I'd expect they'd keep the same customers at least if they switched. (Home Shilling Network?)

If only they made game components as efficiently as they made loving shite daytime TV.

(Oh it was my SA Birthday yesterday :D I am no longer a Goon hatchling and am ready for my Goonachne now that I am a Goonteen) :)

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Xarbala posted:

Oh it certainly is a special kind of crazy, but we've seen it so often and for so long that it's nice to see a fresh face able to react to the sheer scope of CIG's incompetence and scumminess like a rational human being. We're all just kinda jaded here.

My personal theory is that a load of people are just swerving really hard into the sunk cost fallacy.

I get the sunk cost fallacy (my job kinda depends on idiots believing in it), but refunds are available. They can flee now. It looks like many have.

Could it be that Croberts & Co. are not reporting the number of supporters who have fled? That the RSI funding page does not reflect the real number of current backers?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Exinos posted:

About the whole employees flipping jpegs on the grey market thing...

Wasn't there an employee years back, one of the times LTI was going away, that would let someone send them a ship and some cash, LTI token it, and send it back? Like, this was all happening on the official forums.

Seems like that would be a decent source to help support the theory and if they could get jpegs cheap enough on internal discount to make it worth the extra income.

Wasn't that one of the forum mods, and when anyone said "hey that looks maybe a bit dodgy" the thread/poster would get a short posting holiday courtesy of the same mod?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I get the sunk cost fallacy (my job kinda depends on idiots believing in it), but refunds are available. They can flee now. It looks like many have.

Could it be that Croberts & Co. are not reporting the number of supporters who have fled? That the RSI funding page does not reflect the real number of current backers?

No, the real number of backers was exposed in a letter Ortwin wrote in regards to a filthy refunder.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anyone got a link to the screencap of Humility's "I feel hollow all my life, like death inside" post on RSI?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

does the pope bear live in the woods

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Well, Hellion is a buggy mess right now. But at least I can mine!

EDIT: And I love Hellion's orbital mechanics (It's like Kerbal Space Program had a baby with Rust.)

Microgravity penis physics?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Colostomy Bag posted:

Monday: Something nobody gives a poo poo about.

Tuesday: Something that lets two guys nobody has ever heard of talk around how hosed everything is.

Wednesday: Mark accidentally shows off more gameplay than every episode of AtV combined.

Thursday: Lies

Friday: Something not even Chris gives a poo poo about.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

I doubt that they update the ledger with leavers. It says people that pledged so legally, it's still true. Why show anything that's bad to the public if they are in the clear

As to the number of leavers, I don't think that it is that big right now. Even if you factor in the backers who quietly get refunds, don't post about it ever, and quietly slink away, I don't think that leavers factor in that much. The real danger is backers becoming jaded and keeping their wallets closed during sales. That's the number that is dangerous to CIG. It's easier to not buy than it is to admit that you're an idiot for pledging in the first place and then seeking a refund. The latter requires some painful introspection and some actual leg work to get your money back. The former is just mental gymnastics, telling yourself that you don't like the newest ship, that you don't need another fighter, that you've spent plenty and the project is humming along nicely.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

hahaha the old "friday let's knock off a stretch goal" pre-weekend switcheroo

can't wait

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

I swear to the Almighty I'm going to write a HBR Case Study on this stupid saga, success or failure. It's amazing and incredible and disheartening. In this day and age, for people to fall for this. I am stunned and appalled. I guess even "smart" people can fall for multi-level marketing schemes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

and people say this isn't the most open development ever

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Sure all that stuff in my post starts at 17mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-QE4UgR4U&t=1025s and goes for about 2 or 3 mins.
lol, this entire video's pretty great

Batgirl: Can you explain the breakthrough behind the amazing procedural tech?
Brian Chambers: The 'pupil to planet' demo only got done because a senior technical director decided to make it himself, behind Croberts back, at home in his spare time.

Batgirl
: "Is there a range of planet sizes you can give us?"
Brian Chambers: "If I came up with a number right now, it would probably be a lie."

Batgirl: Should planets be giant and realistic like a flight sim or more of a rich immersive world?
Brian Chambers It's basically still in the design phase, and will continue to be, for a long time.

Batgirl: How about that lumberyard switch?
Brian Chambers: "with lumberyard, yeah, there was really little to no effort that it took us to switch, and that's 100% honest. I think we could have switched a lot earlier, but with stuff like this, there's always lawyers involved." *rambles on about how, with all their money, amazon should be able to provide a lot of support... to the gaming community*

Batgirl: What pieces of the game or tech is your team working on?
Brian Chambers: Uh..... *lists the job title of every employee he can remember*

Batgirl: I remember the video where you were expanding the offices, it must be pretty full now... right?
Brian Chambers: We have 10 empty desks.

Batgirl: I'm sure you'll fill them as we get closer to a SQ42 release or, hopefully, 3.0
Brian Chambers: We're very picky in who we hire, I've turned down incredibly qualified candidates because they weren't big enough sci-fi nerds to let croberts crush their souls.

Batgirl: How does you or your team look at 3.0, is it the beginning of the real PU, or just another stepping stone?
Brian Chambers: We see it as the beginning... the solid solid beginning of the PU. We're just as excited to get it out as you, but every other day I hear the "tell me when!" "tell me when!" questions. But we're building up a team, I know as we get closer more and more will be said, but eventually we'll have a solid base for people.

Batgirl
: "I wish Chris wouldn't give general or specific dates for release."
Brian Chambers: I agree too, and that's a bit of back and forth. Take the 'pupil to planet story as an example, The engineers were like "no, I don't want to show this until we get it together." But Sean Tracy and Chris showed it live, and people freaked out. So...

Batgirl: "Have you preformed any miracles?"
Brian Chambers: "None that I can speak of, No."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kosumo posted:

I'm taking from what he was say is that "He is the publisher for his game therefore for ever dollar 'pledged', he pays his development 'company' 20 cents and takes 80 cents for his 'publishing' company", the publishing company being just Him, Sandi and Ortwin.

All though I joke, it was strange how refunds where coming from diffirent companies - has that stabilized yet to all refunds coming from the same place?

p.s. Chris Roberts is a scummy oval office.

Ya gotsta gotsta hide dem dolla dolla bills, yo!

Seriously, the revelations about the corporate web was when this project shifted from "incompetently specced and managed mess" to "someone is scamming these poor fools".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It's amazing and incredible and disheartening.

FYI, for purposes of this thread, it is usually standard to use "sickening and heartbreaking."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

Anyone got a link to the screencap of Humility's "I feel hollow all my life, like death inside" post on RSI?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Just be glad Chris Roberts invented sand worms.

Next thing you know people will be all "well can I ride the sand worm?" Of course you can ride the sand worm. What kind of cheapo loving game do you think this is??? :colbert:

Sure, you can RIDE the sand worm, but can you control it? Nope. 'S all on rails. And that is if you can even get to the top of it TO ride it without spazzing off into the distance.

Now, when they give you an option to ROMANCE the sand worm, then we are talking.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

MilesK posted:

:five:

Yet again tons of red flags that get misconstrued into progress.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

MilesK posted:

Batgirl: I remember the video where you were expanding the offices, it must be pretty full now... right?

Batgirl: I'm sure you'll fill them as we get closer to a SQ42 release or, hopefully, 3.0
Brian Chambers: We're very picky in who we hire, I've turned down incredibly qualified candidates because they weren't big enough sci-fi nerds to let croberts crush their souls.

Batgirl: How does you or your team look at 3.0, is it the beginning of the real PU, or just another stepping stone?
Brian Chambers: We see it as the beginning... the solid solid beginning of the PU. We're just as excited to get it out as you, but every other day I hear the "tell me when!" "tell me when!" questions. But we're building up a team, I know as we get closer more and more will be said, but eventually we'll have a solid base for people.

It's been about 5 years, but we still don't have a team that can make the game yet. Maybe someday!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MilesK posted:

Batgirl: Can you explain the breakthrough behind the amazing procedural tech?
Brian Chambers: The 'pupil to planet' demo only got done because a senior technical director decided to make it himself, behind Croberts back, at home in his spare time.

Batgirl
: "Is there a range of planet sizes you can give us?"
Brian Chambers: "If I came up with a number right now, it would probably be a lie."

Batgirl: Should planets be giant and realistic like a flight sim or more of a rich immersive world?
Brian Chambers It's basically still in the design phase, and will continue to be, for a long time.

Batgirl: How about that lumberyard switch?
Brian Chambers: "with lumberyard, yeah, there was really little to no effort that it took us to switch, and that's 100% honest. I think we could have switched a lot earlier, but with stuff like this, there's always lawyers involved." *rambles on about how, with all their money, amazon should be able to provide a lot of support... to the gaming community*

Batgirl: What pieces of the game or tech is your team working on?
Brian Chambers: Uh..... *lists the job title of every employee he can remember*

Batgirl
: "I wish Chris wouldn't give general or specific dates for release."
Brian Chambers: I agree too, and that's a bit of back and forth. Take the 'pupil to planet story as an example, The engineers were like "no, I don't want to show this until we get it together." But Sean Tracy and Chris showed it live, and people freaked out. So...

Batgirl: "Have you preformed any miracles?"
Brian Chambers: "None that I can speak of, No."

Brian Chambers said all that during a PR thing lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Brian Chambers said all that during a PR thing lol

That guy definitely has the 1,000 yard stare mastered.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Weird. Wonder what diminished Brian's comfort with lying. He seemed so relaxed in his role as a high ranking bullshitter around the time of Citcon last year.

Virtual Captain posted:

It wasn't satire. It was and still is hosted on their site. I too was in disbelief before I could get to a computer and open the pdf because I wasn't gonna mess with that on a phone
Still so dumb it seems like something Lando wrote trying to be funny, but of course it's real.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:yarg:

Ok these guys are might be playing the long game. I don't think the've had a single comic not about game breaking bugs.

Colostomy Bag posted:

quote:

We’re gonna be short and to the point this week, cause we have a lot coming at ya this week.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

I like the guy wearing cold weather clothes with flip flops.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/835295776502775808/photo/1

Why is that mans head facing the wrong directio....oh nevermind.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1. CIG doesn't encourage its employees to buy ships, or do anything other than take a paycheck and work on the game.

2. CIG does gently caress around with the funding counter in order to fraudulently maintain the impression that the project is continuing to bring in money so that backers will feel confident enough to spend their own cash. The people responsible justify it through some convoluted explanation about how funding is received (such as tax breaks becoming income) or about the need to avoid controversy (such as by adding ten million in one day because a new loan was secured).

Pretty much why it is pointless to theory crafting about the funding tracker. It is a private company and isn't a business disclosure, so they aren't going to get into serious trouble if they straight up lie about it. How often do you hear an executive say their business is doing great the month before they close? There's no benefit in giving employees discount ships for the purpose of inflating the tracker. If flipping them for cash happened in any real volume we would have heard about it from a disgruntled ship trader by now (and the market couldn't support it anyway).

They might theoretically get in trouble for deceptive marketing, but the only people invested in it enough for it to make sense aren't going to sue until the company is bankrupt. Besides, it is in the best interests of CIG to refund anyone even thinking of legal action. Publishers already positively frame any communication of development issues. Maintaining the illusion of financial security is no different in that regard. I'm certain the executive team already consider the tracker a marketing tool and not a true reflection of the amount of money raised.

It is best to treat the tracker as a monument to backer hubris, and laugh at the people trying to use it as a defence, as if it means anything. Even if you trust it, the numbers paint a business in decline. Poor sales, and very low numbers in the quiet periods. If they lie, then it is just accelerating the time until the whole thing collapses. That's a win-win to me.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
So we've confirmed that they're advertising for job positions that they have no intent on filling right? Between the lovely job auto-reply I posted earlier and the fact that ben is turning down "highly qualified" people due to "dumb loving reason".

I guess they're trying to keep appearances up that everything is fine, which is why they've posted 1232023213 jobs.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Chin posted:

Weird. Wonder what diminished Brian's comfort with lying. He seemed so relaxed in his role as a high ranking bullshitter around the time of Citcon last year.

He thought the worm was a joke.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Chin posted:

There was a lot of bullshiting, I tried my best to filter it out. I'm no SomethingJones. Though I miss him, actually watching that was hard.

MilesK fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I'd like to err on the side that they got both greedy and continue to have no idea what they're doing. CR is an out of touch, way out of his league ex programmer from the early to mid 90s, trying to build the impossible by not doing anything right except graphics. Not even animation, just graphics.

I'm pretty confident that I think his understanding of the 90s and what he was told by the CryEngine guys have caused a misfire of the project.

The CryEngine guys were told that this was basically an arena space game with trading and stuff like Freelancer. Some walking around in FPS levels. The hardest part was going to get people walking around inside space ships, but it's been done before with magic.

At that time, they probably reviewed the project and advised Chris that graphics were going to be the hurdle, because of the amount of stuff he wanted to have. The gameplay loop wasn't that tough.

Well. :shobon:

Fast forward to today where the gameplay loop is an impossible dream of confusion. The scope of the game itself may as well be The Matrix. While the CryEngine guys apparently failed, and Chris never listened to the cries of his internal programming teams, he's since bled any talent that may have been able to bring a fraction of the vision to life.

Now he's working with middle talent and probably mostly fresh out of college graduates. He can't convey an idea to save his life. There is no design documentation to speak of. One day you're working on the game, the next suddenly you need to build a fake 3.0 level, or a loving sandworm fever dream that makes no sense.

All the while Chris has no understanding of how difficult his ideas are to make, and seriously believes that having an idea is more valuable than the people capable of making an idea into reality.

So what does all this net you?

Basically exactly everything Star Citizen is.
- Missed deadlines everywhere
- Features promised being pulled due to impossibility
- Features promised delayed far into other updates
- No honesty or understanding of what will be in a deliverable
- Customers who have no clue what to expect
- Totally disconnected games which will never merge together
- Zero progress on an actual MMO system
- Bugs galore

This is not anywhere near comprehensive, but none of it is a lie. This is 5 years and $140 million. People who have faith in this are astonishing. People who defend it need to go into the Guinness Book for something.

I have mentioned my Cabal idea long ago in the last thread. Once the KS started to really spin up, I pretty much figure Ortwin smelled the blood in the water, and recruited Sandi to keep Crobber all pumped up and feeling brilliant and on track and relevant, so he could figurehead their brilliant salvation of PC gaming (which is not now and never has been a real issue). Sandi and CIG keep Crobber happy with a list of vacations and reassertion of his manhood so he will keep the dream alive and paying.