Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I remember making some kind of martial character that was a half-elf that took a dilettante vampire power and took adept dilettante so it could get access to martial vampire and stuff without any of the actual handicaps of being a hybrid or multiclass vampire (namely, losing nearly all of your surges), but I don't remember what it was. Probably a fighter (edit: or maybe a rogue?), but I don't know why I actually wanted to bother.

Edit: I was right the first time, it was adept dilettante not versatile master. Also, it appears that martial vampire was the entirety of that gimmick. Whooptee gently caress.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Question: do items that increase your speed (say, boots of striding) also increase your flight speed if your flight speed is not based on your land speed?

My instincts say no, but...

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Do perception DCs in published adventures seem off?

For example, in one I'm running, they talk about something being very well hidden, and then state that the perception DC is 20, which most any wisdom character is going to have a passive of by level 2 at the latest.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Unknown Quantity posted:

The problem with the Vampire is that it lacks proper Striker features. It's feasible as a Multiclass or Hybrid option for some Rogues, but it simply doesn't have a good enough damage booster or damage scaling to be considered a Striker on its own, and even with something as simple as a situational +1d8 per tier, it'd still need an additional feature such as multi-hit attacks or minor action options for reliability and power. Most importantly, Vampires have very little feat support, just like the Shadow power source in general. Here's a few things that might work out.

1) By default giving them "highest ability score to HP," as per Born Under A Bad Sign/Auspicious Birth. They already have only 3 surges, so they need an HP buffer.

2) Give them a Striker feature. +1d8 damage per tier to Bloodied enemies is simple, but works well enough as a striker feature to allow them to quickly finish off things softened up by the rest of the group.

3) Something they can do with their minor action/additional attacks in general. They don't need to be a Ranger, but even something as simple as an Immediate Action counter-strike as an Encounter power would vastly increase their survivability and damage output.

4) Feat support. Whether for the Vampire class itself, the Shadow power source, or for the Ki Focus, they're severely lacking for feats to invest into.

I know this isn't what you wanted, but it's a concise list of what you could do to work on fixes.

I always found it odd they didn't give them a risk/reward system with the fact they could steal surges by letting them burn surges to power up an extra strong striker feature. Or to boost certain encounter/daily powers or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IPlayVideoGames posted:

For example, in one I'm running, they talk about something being very well hidden, and then state that the perception DC is 20, which most any wisdom character is going to have a passive of by level 2 at the latest.

Characters being to trivially achieve skill check DCs in their area of focus is kind of the point. That said, DC 20 is actually a pretty hard skill check DC in heroic tier. Check out the Rules Compendium or DM's Book for the suggested DCs by level (not previous sources, this table changed over time).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

IPlayVideoGames posted:

A level 2 character that's Trained in the ability and has an 18 in the corresponding ability score would be rolling [d20 + 1 half-level + 5 training + 4 ability modifier]

They'd have a 55% chance to pass a DC 20 check, which is entirely in keeping with what it's supposed to be a "Hard" difficulty check for level 2.

You might not be supposed to handle that particular obstacle with Passive Perception.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Are there any Paragon Paths where qualification isn't based on class or race? My players are level 7, so I want to start putting any flavour needed to suit the Paths they choose into my campaign soon, and I want to make sure they know all the options available to them.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Obligatum VII posted:

I always found it odd they didn't give them a risk/reward system with the fact they could steal surges by letting them burn surges to power up an extra strong striker feature. Or to boost certain encounter/daily powers or something.

They did give the vampire the option to burn surges to boost some powers like one line of their encounter attack powers and their strength utility, but the line of encounter attack powers is hands-down the worst one they have and even with the surge boost barely hits the watermark of being completely forgettable.

The Crotch posted:

Question: do items that increase your speed (say, boots of striding) also increase your flight speed if your flight speed is not based on your land speed?

Well, the RC specifically says being slowed reduces all speeds to two, so there's that precedent of speeds being separate unless specifically mentioned, but my line of thought is more "if something provided a penalty to speed (armor, powers like the swordmage's Frigid Blade), would you apply it to all of a target's speeds or just the land speed?" and then go from there. I'd default to yes in most cases unless the player felt otherwise.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The RC also defines speed as the amount of squares you move using the walk action, and states that when you fly, you do use the walk action but fly instead of walking (rather than, say, use the - nonexistent - fly action). Make of that what you will, I'd say it's not a well defined area, but more to the point I can't think of a scenario where having +1 to land speed is fine but the same to fly speed breaks things. Having or not having a fly speed in the first place has much more of an impact.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Are there any Paragon Paths where qualification isn't based on class or race? My players are level 7, so I want to start putting any flavour needed to suit the Paths they choose into my campaign soon, and I want to make sure they know all the options available to them.
Quite a few, from a cursory glance mostly based on skill trainings, alignment or power choice, i.e. choices you'd make at the same time you pick class and race. For a few you have to worship a particular god (seems to be confined to Forgotten Realms though). There's quite a number of paths you qualify for by a certain class/other feature combination (I just came across one that requires you to be a Gnome Paladin with Stealth training - surely an extreme case). Too many to list off-hand, anyway. In my experience though, there are so many paragon paths anyone is bound to be spoilt for choice as it is.

e: does anyone know if there's a way in Masterplan to add an overlay to all encounters in an adventure, short of giving it to a PC?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 24, 2017

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IPlayVideoGames posted:

A reasonable guess for max perception bonus at L2 is +1(level) +5(training) +5(20 wis) = +11. That's a passive of 21, sure, but it still fails a DC 20 on 8 and below, so that's a 40% failure rate for an expert. That's fairly hard.

Also, the passive may be immaterial to this check anyways because passive perception is explicitly limited to line of sight or auditory range. If the object is hidden in a place that isn't within the player's line of sight, their passive perception is irrelevant because there is nothing there to perceive. If I hide a letter underneath my mattress, it's never going to show up on passive perception because there's no evidence of it there for you to perceive. It doesn't matter if your passive is 21 and the DC is only 20, because the letter isn't within your line of sight and so your passive doesn't apply to it. You'll have to actually search my bedroom to find it.

So if this well hidden item isn't hidden right out in the loving open, their passive is probably meaningless. Sure, they could get it if they took 10, but that requires them to actively decide to search and it also requires them to have ample time for that search. If they're in any kind of time crunch at all they can't take 10 and they'll have to roll it, where they'll probably have a 40-45% failure chance. That's pretty well hidden to me, imo.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

The Crotch posted:

No, but Butterfly Sandals are a magic item that shows up sometime in early paragon that specifically increases your flight speed for the Pixie in the party.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's the little things in this adventure that amuse me, like an encounter that has a terrain feature, calls for all aberrant creatures to manipulate this feature whenever possible, and manipulating it is a DC 24 Arcana check when almost all the monsters only have their +3 INT mod. :allears:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's the little things in this adventure that amuse me, like an encounter that has a terrain feature, calls for all aberrant creatures to manipulate this feature whenever possible, and manipulating it is a DC 24 Arcana check when almost all the monsters only have their +3 INT mod. :allears:

Quality design. Evokes a real TSR-era kinda feel, y'know?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I converted some Mass Combat Rules for DND, I made a formula for 4e, and used a chart for 5e, could you guys look it over, and tell me what you think math wise / play wise?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JNb31lyJZUCblM4D6nwxm130wSbkyP5hr8YIhRJM_Io/edit

Some concerns:

The math might be swingy, where the more prolonged a fight is, the more likely the PC's are to win.
The Math might be deadly, most PC's won't survive pass 5 or 6 battle turns (I hope this balances out with the prolonged fight problem.)

Duels might bog the game down.

The system favors "Strikers" over anyone else.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 26, 2017

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Couldn't you just use swarms to represent units?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The idea is to resolve mass combats quickly with a few cool moments / duels, without bogging down the whole thing.

But yeah, you could also just make a bunch of swarms for each side and smush them into each other. This is an alternative to that.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

If you were going to copy L5R's mass combat rules nearly verbatim, you should have left Heroic Opportunity as it was, because it sounds cooler than "Cool Moment".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zarick posted:

If you were going to copy L5R's mass combat rules nearly verbatim, you should have left Heroic Opportunity as it was, because it sounds cooler than "Cool Moment".

Changed wrote to converted, because yeah words have meanings.

Also I changed Cool Moments to Heroic Opportunities.

I was more worried about the damage and stuff.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm interested, but I'm a little concerned about dueling. D&D doesn't really do those things well...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Did you win initiative? Can you alpha strike? If yes, congratulations, you won the duel.

In short, don't do duels in D&D combat.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Burglar posted:

Did you win initiative? Can you alpha strike? If yes, congratulations, you won the duel.

In short, don't do duels in D&D combat.

What's a good alternative then?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Whatever it was you asked about DDI in the 5e thread or something

Go here and you can still sub for DDI

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Would there be merit in designing a clash of two armies like a dungeon? Like you have some objectives (destroy the catapults, protect the battering ram, and so on), probably on timers, you make choices on how to get to them and these choices lead to encounters A, B, C etc. which lead to the next stage of the battle, eventually culminating in a big fight with the enemy champion, or something similar.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There it goes, weird I couldn't find that page anywhere. Thank you.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

What's a good alternative then?
I'll preface this by saying that I don't know anything about L5R.

Is dueling something everyone should be roughly equally good at? Do a raw opposed die roll modified by 1/2 level as normal.

Is it something you have to invest character resources in? Make it a custom skill, with or without an associated ability score.

Other optional ideas:

A loser can spend a healing surge to go another round. This will generally make defenders much better duelers than, say, controllers.

Change the die type by role or clan or whatever. Maybe defenders and strikers are really good duelists and use d10s, while leaders use d8s and controllers d6s. If using this with a 1/2 level mod, level will be way more important than normal.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if Dueling is done the same way the general battle rules are.

A flat best 2 out of 3 revolving around yours, and the others ability modifiers?

In L5R you can be really good at duelling and kind of poo poo at combat, so I want that to be a thing in the conversion.

Also my 4e West Marches game is going up either tonight or tomorrow.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
D&D is about making tactical decisions that average out to correct over the long term (because you're rolling dice and there's variance) and a lot of the depth comes from the possibility for teamwork or target prioritization among multiple enemies. One-on-one dueling has literally none of that. Basically you've either got to invent a whole new minigame, settle for something mechanically uninvolved like an opposed roll, or just hand your player a foam noodle and fight to first bonk.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Also my 4e West Marches game is going up either tonight or tomorrow.

Make sure you link it here, I'm super keen for this.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Blank Construct posted:

Would there be merit in designing a clash of two armies like a dungeon? Like you have some objectives (destroy the catapults, protect the battering ram, and so on), probably on timers, you make choices on how to get to them and these choices lead to encounters A, B, C etc. which lead to the next stage of the battle, eventually culminating in a big fight with the enemy champion, or something similar.

I've done this twice and although I thought it would work well I had to deal with a minor player revolt in one instance and the players getting too strung out resource-wise in the other. Both of those were generally speaking my fault though because of poor DMing. So, yeah, it should work fine because it sounds like you have a better grasp of how to do this then when I did it years ago. It's just a dungeon without hallways, my only advice would be to give incentives and consequences to pursuing one pathway over another and be clear with the players about this. Such as, if you don't go for the battering ram you'll have to fight waves of minions in the fight, but if you don't go for the catapults you'll have to deal with randomly dropped Area 1 rocks hitting the map in the final fight.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

D&D is about making tactical decisions that average out to correct over the long term (because you're rolling dice and there's variance) and a lot of the depth comes from the possibility for teamwork or target prioritization among multiple enemies. One-on-one dueling has literally none of that. Basically you've either got to invent a whole new minigame, settle for something mechanically uninvolved like an opposed roll, or just hand your player a foam noodle and fight to first bonk.
Exactly. And while you're doing your in-depth 1v1 minigame, the rest of the table probably has nothing to do but watch.

Foam noodle fights would at least be pretty entertaining.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, it's the sort of thing you see in fantasy stories so to just plain rule it out feels like you're cutting off a lot of story options. Focus is one thing but a good heroic fantasy game shouldn't feel like you're doing something wrong if you veer one inch off the path of "group tactical combat in large open spaces with varied terrain".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, it's the sort of thing you see in fantasy stories so to just plain rule it out feels like you're cutting off a lot of story options. Focus is one thing but a good heroic fantasy game shouldn't feel like you're doing something wrong if you veer one inch off the path of "group tactical combat in large open spaces with varied terrain".

I agree, but I've also never seen a good dueling system.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Deadlands reloaded's duelling was fun, even if not perfect. You get to play a hand of Texas Hold'Em.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Blank Construct posted:

This would be my preferred option, run similar to a large scale skill challenge where the successes the players have rallying troops / sabotaging siege engines etc contribute to the overall flow of the battle. Ideally give them more things to do than there are people to address them so that they have to consider where to focus their attention.

The only way I can see a duel even partially working is if you take initiative out of it and resolve the two sides' actions together (maybe the person going second is "defending" and their damage roll reduces that dealt by the other player?). Even then you've still got the difficulty that some classes / roles are simply not designed for fighting alone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a skill challenge like that in Madness at Gardmore Abbey where you defend a tower along with some NPCs, and you can fight in the front line, repair some old ballistae and take shots from the roof, rouse your army with a speech, treat the wounded and so on. There's also an optional tactical combat part where you take on the enemy champion and winning gives you a massive amount of successes in the overall skill challenge. Intermittent failure means the enemy army takes another floor of the tower, and you could easily adapt that to any other kind of area, like on a regular battlefield you could do left flank, right flank, artillery section, and finally the commanders' camp.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I converted some Mass Combat Rules for DND, I made a formula for 4e, and used a chart for 5e, could you guys look it over, and tell me what you think math wise / play wise?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JNb31lyJZUCblM4D6nwxm130wSbkyP5hr8YIhRJM_Io/edit

This is insanely complicated when the GM could just make a bunch of monster stat blocks to use as units that then fight, with one side controlled by the players.

You can either let PCs attach to units to give them a small stat boost, or have PCs be a unit on their own (still with a monster stat block) depending on how heroic you want the game to feel.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiteski posted:

Make sure you link it here, I'm super keen for this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811893&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I'm doing DnD 4e, the concept is you're in an adventurer's guild, and you go out and do poo poo the king is too busy, or too broke to pay soldiers to do.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Burning Legend, which is a sub-game made in an alternate setting book of Exalted was a ton of fun for duels, as it was pretty much just a fighting game in tabletop form. Very rock-paper-scissors, but pretty engaging though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just go full Suikoden and put everything on pause while the dueling player and GM play out a game of BattleCON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Madness at Gardmore Abbey trip report: super fun so far, my players are having a good time and so am I. It's such a different feeling from prepping session to session to have a whole complex megadungeon laid out ready to use with the party being able to go wherever they want. Consequently they made a beeline straight for the area where level 10 enemies dwell and already cleared probably the most lucrative encounters in the module.

They also got into a fight with some gargoyles and left one standing. We quickly determined there was actually no way they could take it down in stone form, so the warlord wrote CAUTION GARGOYLE on it in eternal chalk ("sure, it's a nice flavour item, not sure if you'll ever find a use for it though") and they went their merry way. I thought I might add it to a future encounter but instead I might just keep it as a recurring background feature. Never attacking or acting, just perching in increasingly unlikely places and watching.

Adventure plot spoilers ahead:

- they went through three encounters with the rival party in one session. Which suits me fine, because the fourth is now in a place where anything but the final encounter with them would have been awkward (the watchtower).
- they had not explored the feygrove when they finished Padraig's first quest. They knew the rivals were around and said as much, so I adapted his second quest to "try and see if these others will ally with our cause, we need all the allies we can get. And also map that forest." Then I had the rivals tell them to shove it, but now when they meet Berrian they'll (hopefully) remember Padraig needs allies, and it'll be their own idea to make peace with him.