Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Risky Bisquick posted:

@kylebennett "Don't be a Pussy, PreOrder AMD Ryzen Today!"

Make that which you will

:frogsiren: Abandon ship! Ryzen is doomed! :frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Risky Bisquick posted:

@kylebennett "Don't be a Pussy, PreOrder AMD Ryzen Today!"

Make that which you will

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/02/22/dont_be_pussy_preorder_amd_ryzen_today_starts_at_1et
Well, he did put that up as soon as the pre-orders started. And he did put that up with a link that gives him a commission so..XD

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Dante80 posted:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/02/22/dont_be_pussy_preorder_amd_ryzen_today_starts_at_1et
Well, he did put that up as soon as the pre-orders started. And he did put that up with a link that gives him a commission so..XD

loving lol Kyle.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dante80 posted:

Good catch :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So Ryzen has 512K L2 while Intel has 256? How does that actually affect performance? Do programs need to be optimized for 512K? Only way to know is wait and see?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ihmemies posted:

So Ryzen has 512K L2 while Intel has 256? How does that actually affect performance? Do programs need to be optimized for 512K? Only way to know is wait and see?
Generally speaking mo' on die cache = better for big data sets (ie. server stuff) but ho hum for desktop work loads.

Up until the last few years desktop work loads were still almost all about IPC and clockspeed for that peak single thread performance. Multi thread is starting to matter a whole lot more as more software is written to make use of it (4 thread CPU is probably the minimum you want to use right now, 8 threads will probably evolve to be the new sweet spot for peak performance vs cost over the next few years) but primarily single thread performance + clockspeed are still key for desktop work loads.

Its quite possible some sort of software rewrite to take advantage of Zen's bigger L2 would help general desktop work loads but don't go expecting that sort of thing to happen.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Not to be all :toot: but dat stock bump today. :parrot:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Is it 100% confirmed that socket AM2/AM3 coolers will work with AM4? I don't want to buy a cooler and have to return it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Is it 100% confirmed that socket AM2/AM3 coolers will work with AM4? I don't want to buy a cooler and have to return it.

AM3 coolers are not compatible with AM4 mounting holes, but it's possible for an AM4 motherboard to have AM3 mounting holes alongside the AM4 ones.

The Asus Crosshair VI Hero does this, I haven't seen any others so far.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Lots of cooler manufacturers are offering to mail AM4 mounting kits if you buy a Ryzen processor. Check manufacturer websites for any cooler you're interested in to see if they have kits available.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That pic is ridiculous. What the hell was the reasoning that a 2mm change needed to be made?

Anyways depending on your existing cooler's mounting hardware, it may be possible to do minor modification or just bodge it to make it work. I did that for a while one time, I can't remember which socket transition it was but it must have been years and years ago because it was back when heatpipe tower coolers were still moderately expensive. So before the hyper 212 came out. Anyways, I got slightly longer bolts from the hardware store and kinda angled them, it was fine for the 6 or whatever months until I replaced it.

Don't do this if you move your pc around at all of course.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

The only advantage I can see is that programs could take advantage of the increased CPU storage capabilities to increase some process. The 6800k has 1.5MB of L2 vs AMD 4MB.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Isn't Ryzen a different Z-height, so even if the holes line up it wouldn't mount correctly without a new kit? I could be full of poo poo here but I thought I remembered reading this.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Alereon posted:

Isn't Ryzen a different Z-height, so even if the holes line up it wouldn't mount correctly without a new kit? I could be full of poo poo here but I thought I remembered reading this.

Yeah, it is. If you are careful and the screws on your cooler are the spring retention type I could see it working even with the different hight but I would not risk an expensive new CPU to find out.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Alereon posted:

Probably, and that is probably why the holes were moved: To keep people from using a cooler that wasn't made to be used with the new height.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lowen SoDium posted:

Probably, and that is probably why the holes were moved: To keep people from using a cooler that wasn't made to be used with the new height.

Ah that makes a lot more sense then. Though now I'm wondering how that asus board with both holes works if the height is different. I guess those black things are spacers to fix the height issue?

And obviously everything about my suggestion of fitting a cooler that's not compatible has a giant disclaimer to use common sense, test fit carefully, don't overstress board or cpu, may not work at all depending on mounting hardware, etc etc.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
It looks like someone has put grommets in the correct holes to illustrate the point. If you're using an <AM3 cooler those grommets would be in the other set of holes. That's my take. Not exactly an elegant solution, I agree.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/AMDRyzen/status/836285599636127744

1T command rate? O_o

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
My impression is that choices made for Ryzens IMC design were done on the basis of APU/NPU performance. AMD APU/NPU's should run loving circles around Intel solutions, like I don't think it's debatable.

I wonder if Bristol Ridge is similar, 40-50GB/s should feed 512 GCN3 stream processors. According to TPU, a 7850K's 512SPs are only some 17% behind the 7750's in performance despite the massive delta in bandwidth, so I can only assume Bristol Ridge with DDR4 should be amazing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

repiv posted:

AM3 coolers are not compatible with AM4 mounting holes, but it's possible for an AM4 motherboard to have AM3 mounting holes alongside the AM4 ones.

The Asus Crosshair VI Hero does this, I haven't seen any others so far.

i'm the 3d mount

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dante80 posted:

1T command rate? O_o
Probably why all the other rates are so blown out for that speed. I think most DDR4 uses a 2T command rate for those speeds with much more reasonable settings for the rest.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Happy Embargo Drop Day everyone!

Sinestro how is the new OP coming

Bleusilences posted:

I just check the first page to check for any new on the zen and it's not been updated for at least 4 years! Could someone knowledgeable start a new thread?

Sinestro posted:

I'd be happy to just redo this one's OP, too.

Sinestro posted:

I'm writing a new OP right now, it'll probably be up this afternoon.

Don't forget to discuss the new AM4 platfrom

repiv posted:

i'm the am4 platfrom

AbrahamSlam posted:

AMD infuriates competition with this one weird trick!

Edit: I just couldn't help myself.

And be sure to mention AMD THREADRIPPER technology

Seriously though the PCPer deep dive video might be good to include for the mega nerds:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Ryzen overclocking demo from the press conference has been leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFYlP_3dC1U

Using water cooling, XFR got to 4.1GHz on one core (100MHz up) and tried to do 4.1GHz on all cores but the system crashed live in the demo :supaburn:

I think this confirms the fears about overclockability. For stock clock users the 1800X is looking to still trash the 6900K however.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

Using water cooling, XFR got to 4.1GHz on one core (100MHz up) and tried to do 4.1GHz on all cores but the system crashed live in the demo :supaburn:

100Mhz above its stock boost (in a fully manufacturer supported manner) and it crashes? Ouch.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 28, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BurritoJustice posted:

I think this confirms the fears about overclockability. For stock clock users the 1800X is looking to still trash the 6900K however.

All hail Intel, our continued overlords

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

When does the press embargo lift?
That xfr result is a bugger. Guess we'll know soon if it's typical.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rastor posted:

Happy Embargo Drop Day everyone!

I thought the Ryzen embargo wasn't dropping until the 2nd?

Either way, we're definitely getting Vega and 1080ti info today :woop:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BurritoJustice posted:

3.6/4.0GHz on the R5 1600X is better than I expected tbh

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

HalloKitty posted:

100Mhz above its stock boost (in a fully manufacturer supported manner) and it crashes? Ouch.
They left volts at stock. They only adjusted the core clocks. Overclocking these things will need more voltage unless you win the silicon lotto.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Review kit unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA7x_ftav9Q

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

I've read (I don't know if this is true or not) that that was at stock voltage, which would make a significant difference. My 5820K does 4.13 GHz all-core at stock voltage but 5820Ks usually top out around 4.5 GHz with extra voltage.

Crashing 1-core at 4.1 GHz isn't great in terms of relative overclocking headroom, but on the other hand it's actually still pretty decent in absolute terms. Now, if it's crashing at 4.1 GHz with some extra voltage then that's kind of a shitshow.

The question is still going to be the lesser chips which were binned out, how far are they going to go? If they won't go beyond 3.8 at stock voltage that's starting to turn into a pretty strong loss once overclocking comes into the picture.

Overall though, between this overclocking result and those leaked chinese benchmarks, I'm pretty confident in my prediction that a 6-core Intel (6800K/5820K) only loses slightly to an 8-core Ryzen (1800X) in multi-threaded stuff and wins in single-threaded pretty hard. The benchmarks in that last test were with the 6800K at stock clocks, while the 1800X is apparently pretty much tapped out at stock voltages.

So basically AMD has made the jump to somewhere around Haswell-E IPC with less than Broadwell-E overclockability. I'm sitting pretty comfy since I've been enjoying my 5820K for a year now, at better prices ($330), and I think that the Intels are still better for gaming, but the 8-core Ryzens aren't terrible for highly-threaded stuff.

The next go-around is going to be interesting for Intel, because I bet AMD gets those clocks up.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 28, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paul MaudDib posted:

The next go-around is going to be interesting for Intel, because I bet AMD gets those clocks up.

The laptop APUs and server stuff once they GoFlo fixes the teething issues should be really interesting.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Rastor posted:

Sinestro how is the new OP coming

I decided to wait until today, since it would have needed massive retooling when the embargo dropped anyway. Should be tonight, I just need to put things together when I get home from work, I know what I want to say.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah that's when we'll find out if AMD really caught Intel with their pants down. AFAIK next up is Coffe Lake which looks like it'll be another Kaby Lake (same process, +0% IPC, efficiency+clockspeed bump) only with hexacores slowly becoming mainstream.

Even if AMD doesn't follow up with Zen+ as early as next year, it's going to be interesting.
Not to mention that Intel no longer has a GT4e SKU to counter a 50W Zen APU.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What time is the embargo expected to drop?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rastor posted:

Would you have any slots free at all? Because you can always just shove some bargain bin low profile GPU into a PCI slot or something if all you need is a text console.

Edit: or if you are looking at a board with no PCI slots at all, maybe something that only uses one PCIe lane:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10269/zotac-quietly-releases-pcie-x1-gt-710-graphics-card

I guess, it's just nice not needing extra addon cards with 4C intel chips. Iris Pro is supported upstream in Linux, Xorg and Mesa, so I don't ever have to gently caress with drivers. I suppose an early GCN would work as well with the "Radeon" reverse-engineered stuff.

8C/16T is probably compelling enough for me to put up with driver dickery.

4-day old ECC chat removed

E: gently caress me, is it really the 28th already? I didn't realize how far back I was in this thread. Rexxed & Platystemon already covered this.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 28, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gwaihir posted:

Is there a good reason for me to give a poo poo about having ECC ram on the box storing my linux ISOs? What is it protecting me against? If the result of a flipped bit in ram getting stored to disk is a flicker of a corrupted frame in a video file, it's not exactly something I think I'd worry about paying extra for, but I don't really know.

(I've seen tons of posts re: I WANT ECC FOR MY HOME SERVER and it occurred to me that I didn't know why).

Here’s an article where someone actually successfully tracks down a single bit error in some code.

Yes, chances are good that the effected data is will never be written to disk and that if it is, it’s something that isn’t critical like a video file.

But if bit flips in executable code, you’re in for a headache.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Huge announcement from AMD's big press conference about Vega

its called Vega

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The laptop APUs and server stuff once they GoFlo fixes the teething issues should be really interesting.

don't ever pin hopes on GloFo getting better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

don't ever pin hopes on GloFo getting better

New thread title right here.

• Locked thread