Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cactus Jack posted:

Do they just farm these out to the lowest bidder and not keep any templates or settings for these? It shouldn't be hard to keep the formatting consistent.

This assumes they care about consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diamond just blew out the remaining Omnibus stock at $10-15 per book.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Diamond just blew out the remaining Omnibus stock at $10-15 per book.

How can we, as regular non-shop owners, take advantage of those prices?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

How can we, as regular non-shop owners, take advantage of those prices?

Almost entirely sold out now. I missed out on all the good stuff. Scored an AOA companion for $15 and a GotG Solo for $14. Everything else was gone when I got to it. They have fully cleared out their Marvel Omnibus stock and the line now appears to be dead.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Almost entirely sold out now. I missed out on all the good stuff. Scored an AOA companion for $15 and a GotG Solo for $14. Everything else was gone when I got to it. They have fully cleared out their Marvel Omnibus stock and the line now appears to be dead.

I don't understand what this means... they're not making omnibuses anymore?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

obi_ant posted:

There's several scheduled for release this year, but they have fairly short shelf lives for publishing. I think Rhyno and others have mentioned a lot of them come damaged in some form or another.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

obi_ant posted:

That appears to be the case.

It appears that the Ms Marvel Omnibus was the last new volume and the only one not in the sale.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It appears that the Ms Marvel Omnibus was the last new volume and the only one not in the sale.

That makes me kinda sad. I love omnibuses. Speaking of omnibuses...

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/WAR-OF-KINGS-AFTERMATH-REALM-OF-KINGS-OMNIBUS-HC/AUG160990

War Of Kings Aftermath Realm Of Kings is back in stock!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

A new one is coming though: https://www.bookdepository.com/X-Men-Legacy-Legion-Omnibus-Simon-Spurrier-Tan-Eng-Huat-Jorge-Molin/9781302903923?ref=grid-view

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just to clarify, all solicited products are still coming but they have hinted that the line is pretty much done. They are the most damaged out items that Marvel releases.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Well that sucks! Pretty much all I buy are Omnibuses and I'd like to finish my Claremont X-Men and Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four runs. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gonna be really annoyed if they only make the first Hickman Avengers omni.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't they complete the Kirby FF run in Omni?

A few people are claiming the line might not be done, just overhauled with improved binding and new shipping boxes like DC has for their Absolute editions.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't they complete the Kirby FF run in Omni?

A few people are claiming the line might not be done, just overhauled with improved binding and new shipping boxes like DC has for their Absolute editions.

Omnibus 3 only gets to #93 and the Lee/Kirby run goes to 102 from what Google is telling me. Not sure why they didn't just add 2-3 extra issues per omni if it just has 10 issues to go. :rolleyes:

I hope that is the case. Every Absolute I've gotten has been pristine thanks to that cardboard sleeve they put it in. It can't cost that much extra to make those and I'm sure it pays for itself due to the lack of returns.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Made my dip into the cosmic Marvel universe. Purchased War of Kings Aftermath omnibus and Annihilation Conquest omnibus. Going to try and pick up prelude when it comes out, along with War of Kings.

Is Realm of Kings required reading?

Annihilation isn't going to be on my radar since it seems like it's going for stupid prices.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

obi_ant posted:

Made my dip into the cosmic Marvel universe. Purchased War of Kings Aftermath omnibus and Annihilation Conquest omnibus. Going to try and pick up prelude when it comes out, along with War of Kings.

Is Realm of Kings required reading?

Annihilation isn't going to be on my radar since it seems like it's going for stupid prices.

Realm of Kings is really just on the list for completion sake. If you're looking to move forward, you can just read Nova and GotG and skip any of the Realm of Kings specific tie-ins.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

Realm of Kings is really just on the list for completion sake. If you're looking to move forward, you can just read Nova and GotG and skip any of the Realm of Kings specific tie-ins.

Appreciate you reposting that image. Been needing it for a while :).

Semi-related, assuming I wanna continue reading cosmic Marvel, is Bendis GotG essential reading? I know it has an omnibus out but Bendis is very hit or miss with me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Nyeehg posted:

Semi-related, assuming I wanna continue reading cosmic Marvel, is Bendis GotG essential reading? I know it has an omnibus out but Bendis is very hit or miss with me.

No. I legit don't remember anything decent Bendis has written over the past couple of years except for maybe Iron Man. And yes, I'm unfortunately including Miles in that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

After DnA, Galactic becomes kinda lovely and I'm not sure it's really recovered. Bendis brought a character back to life that dies at the end of the cosmic run then never really gives any real good explanation as to why he came back to life. That alone made gave it a sour taste to me.

I think it'll be a while before we get another really good quality galactic run at Marvel. DnA brought together some real magic and even they couldn't keep that together outside of anything they did dealing with space (see also their runs on DC in the new 52 and their run on New Mutants (although the lack of energy on NM could be chalked up to coming after the insane and brilliant run by Zeb Wells)).

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The newest Marvel solitics have a couple new omnibus volumes in them, including a Darth Vader and a Planet Hulk omnibus, so I don't think they're canceling the line entirely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

The newest Marvel solitics have a couple new omnibus volumes in them, including a Darth Vader and a Planet Hulk omnibus, so I don't think they're canceling the line entirely.

David Gabriel walked back the rumors a bit. Far fewer books, different binding. Hoping for those shipping boxes.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

No. I legit don't remember anything decent Bendis has written over the past couple of years except for maybe Iron Man. And yes, I'm unfortunately including Miles in that.

RevKrule posted:

After DnA, Galactic becomes kinda lovely and I'm not sure it's really recovered. Bendis brought a character back to life that dies at the end of the cosmic run then never really gives any real good explanation as to why he came back to life. That alone made gave it a sour taste to me.

I think it'll be a while before we get another really good quality galactic run at Marvel. DnA brought together some real magic and even they couldn't keep that together outside of anything they did dealing with space (see also their runs on DC in the new 52 and their run on New Mutants (although the lack of energy on NM could be chalked up to coming after the insane and brilliant run by Zeb Wells)).

Rats! I feared as much. Ah well, thanks for the input.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think part of why DnA worked was that aside from Nova and GotG, most of it was running in minis and event books that just told their stories and got out, rather than trying to buoy ongoings and movies.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have experience buying damaged books from IST?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

6 more Marvel omnibuses announced.

STAR WARS: THE MARVEL UK OMNIBUS HC
STAR WARS: DARTH VADER BY KIERON GILLEN & SALVADOR LARROCA OMNIBUS HC
PUNISHER BY GARTH ENNIS OMNIBUS HC (NEW PRINTING)
PUNISHER: BACK TO THE WAR OMNIBUS HC
HULK: PLANET HULK OMNIBUS HC
THE MIGHTY THOR OMNIBUS VOL. 3 HC

I've got my eye on Vader, Ennis Punisher, Planet Hulk, and Thor.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 25, 2017

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

The Back to War Omni should be called Spider-Man and Punisher Team Ups lol

In other news: http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/home.php?cat=3651

Very good deals on some Marvel Omnis that are being cleared out. The X-Force one is especially cheap. I think with the new X-Force movie in the works vol 2 will probably be coming out soon so now might be the time to grab before it's only on secondary markets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it looks like I missed a notice from Marvel about the future of the Omni line. Here's how it breaks down.

All OSHC Omnibus books over a certain page count will now be print to order. So preorder anything you want as overstocks will probably be a thing of the past. This also probably means that any collection over 12 issues will end up being harder to find after the fact.
All clearanced product has no guarantee of damage replacements. This means if you ordered a closeout book and it arrives beat up there are no extras to be had.
No more guaranteed productions if order thresholds are not meant. Basically this means that if a book doesn't make a certain initial order number it will be automatically cancelled.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

funny way to spell posted:

The Back to War Omni should be called Spider-Man and Punisher Team Ups lol

In other news: http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/home.php?cat=3651

Very good deals on some Marvel Omnis that are being cleared out. The X-Force one is especially cheap. I think with the new X-Force movie in the works vol 2 will probably be coming out soon so now might be the time to grab before it's only on secondary markets.

I'd suggest hitting up ebay first. There are $10-$15 price differences per book between CGN and some of the established ebay closeout omnibus sellers like dheader.

For example, Shield + Hawkeye + Annihilation Conquest is about $135 shipped to me from dheader's store while on CGN it would be about $163 for the same 3 books shipped. YMMV.

Rhyno posted:

So it looks like I missed a notice from Marvel about the future of the Omni line. Here's how it breaks down.

All OSHC Omnibus books over a certain page count will now be print to order. So preorder anything you want as overstocks will probably be a thing of the past. This also probably means that any collection over 12 issues will end up being harder to find after the fact.
All clearanced product has no guarantee of damage replacements. This means if you ordered a closeout book and it arrives beat up there are no extras to be had.
No more guaranteed productions if order thresholds are not meant. Basically this means that if a book doesn't make a certain initial order number it will be automatically cancelled.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a timetable on when the print to order stuff begins?

The clearance thing makes sense, since why would they have extras of stuff they are trying to get rid of.

I wonder if they can do more obscure stuff that wouldn't typically get omnibus collections due to this. They would have all of them sold before they are even printed, so it is not like they'd lose money on it. Maybe a positive out of this? It'll probably be the opposite, but I can dream!

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 26, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine it's far more cost-effective for every party to shift emphasis to the Epic Collection line for the big titles.

Anyway, I've got my Dr Strange: Sorcerer Supreme by Peter B. Gillis omnibus pre-ordered, so I am happy enough. :D

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hrm, this would seem to mean that I need to buy stuff I want from IST on the day it's available since they don't do preorders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zachack posted:

Hrm, this would seem to mean that I need to buy stuff I want from IST on the day it's available since they don't do preorders.

IST will most certainly still order plenty of stock so I wouldn't sweat that too much. But omnibus clearance sales might be a producer thing of the past now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah it seems like it'll be more difficult to get cheap omnis now. :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah it seems like it'll be more difficult to get cheap omnis now. :(

We're about due for Amazon accidentally giving us $120 books for $45 again. Man, remember how crazy this place went when that happened?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

We're about due for Amazon accidentally giving us $120 books for $45 again. Man, remember how crazy this place went when that happened?

That was a good day, brother.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I found a few upcoming items of interest:

The Complete Bloom County: Two-volume paperback collection of the whole run of the strip

Uncle Scrooge: "The Lost Crown Of Genghis Khan": Along with the title story features the famous "Land Beneath the Ground" with the earthquake-making Terries and Fermies

Akira 35th Anniversary: Hardcover box set of the complete Akira printed in right-to-left for the first time in English

Martha Washington and Hard Boiled: New hardcover editions of out-of-print Frank Miller books

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

I found a few upcoming items of interest:

The Complete Bloom County: Two-volume paperback collection of the whole run of the strip

Uncle Scrooge: "The Lost Crown Of Genghis Khan": Along with the title story features the famous "Land Beneath the Ground" with the earthquake-making Terries and Fermies

Akira 35th Anniversary: Hardcover box set of the complete Akira printed in right-to-left for the first time in English

Martha Washington and Hard Boiled: New hardcover editions of out-of-print Frank Miller books

Two observations:

1. Nobody tell Dickeye.
2. HOLY gently caress I'M BUYING THAT.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

For $135 it better be in color.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving hate Bleeding Cool but they have all the links in one place

50% off a whole bunch of DC Omnibus HCs! And many of these ain't even out yet!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/02/batch-dc-comics-omnibuses-drop-50-off-amazon/

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

2 more pre-orders that are great deals and not on that Bleeding Cool list:

Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme Omnibus Vol. 1 - $61.02 (51% Off)

Wonder Woman By George Perez Omnibus Vol. 2 - $37.11 (63% Off!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

I finally sent in my comics, and today I got back the entire run of Kanan and the entire run of Darth Vader, bound together.

Spelling mistake aside (and I already contacted the bindery, hopefully there's something they can do for me...) these turned out GREAT. I was a bit concerned about the Vader book being unwieldy due to its size, but its not uncomfortable to hold or anything. No complaints at all about the binding itself, and as long as they can do something for me regarding the spelling error, I'll definitely be getting more stuff bound in the future.

Guess I forgot to post a followup to this: H&R apologized for their error, and fixed it for no charge other than the postage I paid getting the book out to them again. Since I was sending them a book anyway, I sent them my next binding job and got both my corrected Kanan and a bunch of Star Wars Miniseries bound together.

Now I have to decide what to send them next. Maybe some of the old Dark Horse Star Wars stuff. I just wish we had some idea of how long the current Star Wars ongoing is slated to run, I'd like to get a chunk of that bound together...but I have no clue where a good breakpoint would be.