Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah it seemed to emphasize that, if anything, Saitama was always ridiculously powerful and capable... and the moment he started doing even the most basic exercise he became a punchman god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Shugojin posted:

Pretty sure that the people excited for this to end are the ONE readers who really want to see the next part adapted.
I also wanted the Tournament arc to end because there was a teaser of Garou VS Watchdog Man, which is all new content and I really want to know how Watchdog Man fights.

People / monsters throwing energy blasts that change the weather is also good and cool.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, the guy who took out Crabante and a bunch of other monsters before he even started working out was a weakling.

Sure.

what bunch of other monsters are you talking about?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

He beat Crabrante because it was a dumb and weak monster. And even then he only barely won. It's not like Saitama was going around beating up Dragon level threats before training.

It was just the training. Stop being dumb like Asura Rhino and that evil doctor guy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
He only beat a weak giant lobster man with claws, while barehanded and untrained. It barely even counts.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Begemot posted:

He beat Crabrante because it was a dumb and weak monster. And even then he only barely won. It's not like Saitama was going around beating up Dragon level threats before training.

It was just the training. Stop being dumb like Asura Rhino and that evil doctor guy.

Also Octopus Claw Man (Tiger level, fyi), and Light Cord Punch Man, and presumably a bunch of others because he wasn't all that worked up about either.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

He only beat a weak giant lobster man with claws, while barehanded and untrained. It barely even counts.
Well he did do it by using Brain (tie around the eyeball and pull is pretty smart) instead of Fist.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Schwarzwald posted:

Saitama didn't beat the crab man by punching him once, he beat him in desperation by tying his tie around his eye stalk and yanking with his whole body weight.

This isn't really comparable to reducing Dragon-level monsters to ground meat with a single non-serious punch.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Crablante was at least disaster level Tiger, because he was tearing people apart with his claws. That means pretraining Saitama could perform at a Class A or B level.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Saitama was born the supreme being and that's why he was able to achieve so much power with such disproportionate effort.

e: But seriously though my favorite idea for Saitama's power is that it's a bug in the universe resulting from an unfathomable number of improbable scenarios. In a patched version of his universe, the Strange Log reads "inconsequential NPCs can no longer become invincible with an ordinary exercise routine"

e2:

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/832635736847446016

this one is pretty OPM tbh

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 28, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Saitama was wrong about his exercise regimen causing the development of his power. It's easy to make that mistake because he was doing exercise, which increases strength, immediately before attaining infinite power. The truth is that it was spontaneous, chaotic, and irreproducible; or at the very least, he did not notice its actual cause.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's canon his strength developed over those three years.

Bisse posted:

Well he did do it by using Brain (tie around the eyeball and pull is pretty smart) instead of Fist.
I always find it kinda neat that he's a junkie searching for that rush and never getting it again since he's too strong.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
The secret to unlocking Ultimate Power actually happens to be "wrapping a neck tie around a crab monster's eyes and body slamming it." Saitama just never made the connection.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Begemot posted:

Saitama didn't beat the crab man by punching him once, he beat him in desperation by tying his tie around his eye stalk and yanking with his whole body weight.

This isn't really comparable to reducing Dragon-level monsters to ground meat with a single non-serious punch.

I'm not saying that he didn't become stronger after working out, but he was never a "weakling."

He defeated a giant crab monster while barehanded and untrained. That doesn't stop being true because he didn't use a straight jab.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I've always gone with the idea that Saitama underwent whatever phenomena causes people to turn into monsters only it went slightly weird due to his inclination towards heroism.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Shugojin posted:

The monster cells are probably not normal monster cells but rather from some special critter in this group.
stem cells, baby

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

7c Nickel posted:

I've always gone with the idea that Saitama underwent whatever phenomena causes people to turn into monsters only it went slightly weird due to his inclination towards heroism.

Or it's the same thing in the first place and good people become heroes while evil people become monsters.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not saying that he didn't become stronger after working out, but he was never a "weakling."

Saitama gained strength after dedicating himself to being a hero, before that he was unfocused and drifting through life without a real purpose just getting whatever salaryman job he could

the exercise wasn't the important part it was dedicating himself to becoming " a hero who wins with one punch" that made him strong

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Terror Sweat posted:

There's a bunch of side-stories in the manga where he beats up monsters while training and he still has his hair. And uh, yeah, he's still loving strong at this point.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also thought of it as thing thin line between obsession and determination, at least in the case of heroes and humans-turned-monsters (doesn't apply to natural monsters or results of science / monster cells).

I always thought of it as heroes getting where they are through hard work and training, while monsters are overtaken by their obsessions to one thing. Like the guy who liked crabs so much he became a crab, or the guy who shadow boxed himself into being a (God-level) monster. These human-turned-monsters went all in on one thing so hard they lost themselves to it, and their obsession consumed them and literally shaped them.

Disregarding the psychic sisters, the heroes don't really possess supernatural powers. Like, they don't have special powers, they have far better physical attributes than the average person. Either they use technology to modify themselves (Genos, Engine Knight, the B-class cyborg during the Sea King arc) or tools (Child Emperor, Metal Knight, the guy who shot flames from his arms, Inazuma with his lightning shoes). I guess Pig God is an exception since he loving eats monsters. Otherwise, it's just a matter of being physically superior. Even Pri-Pri Prisoner's transformation is just him bulking up even more. So they still look human, and they don't have any horns or claws or stuff like that.

In essence, barring a few exceptions, heroes are just humans with superhuman stats but no supernatural abilities.

Monsters, on the other hand, come with a slew of tricks up their sleeve. They can regenerate, they can shoot energy bolts, they can use electric powers naturally, etc. etc. They don't even look like normal humans; they might remain humanoid but they all gain features that mark them as clearly not human (except the guy whose transformation was becoming Fat Tenshinhan without the extra arms, that guy's a loser).

So it's like, there's a clear line between heroes and monsters for the most part, I'd think.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terror Sweat posted:

Hate-Senpai posted:

My favorite villain is probably this dude.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i wish we were in the OPM universe so you pedants would become pedant monsters due to constantly being pedantic all day about Saitama's powerlevel, and then King would come and end you.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wouldn't want to live in the OPM universe because cities get wiped out all the time, like that time Saitama killed that giant dude and its corpse fell over and destroyed a city.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gonna be controversial but I don't think the OPM world is very safe for civilians.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jerkface posted:

i wish we were in the OPM universe so you pedants would become pedant monsters due to constantly being pedantic all day about Saitama's powerlevel, and then King would come and end you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently you forgot that Internet trolling is a thing in OPM universe too, therefore

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mordaedil posted:

Apparently you forgot that Internet trolling is a thing in OPM universe too, therefore

Probably a source of a lot of monsters. Add to this the escalating stress everyone feels as monster attacks escalate...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You are all like Genos, furiously writing down theories in his autism book as to why Saitama is so insanely powerful because you just can't accept that he simply responded very well to exercise

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

You are all like Genos, furiously writing down theories in his autism book as to why Saitama is so insanely powerful because you just can't accept that he simply responded very well to exercise

This is the anime forum. Autism is basically a requirement.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's not actually strong, it's all a prank.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

The monster cells are probably not normal monster cells but rather from some special critter in this group.

The way they were twitching about definitely suggests that.
They're probably monster gonads or something.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd imagine they came from someone who was a guy who wanted to turn everyone into monsters so much he became a monster that produces monster-turning cells.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elentor posted:

I'd imagine they came from someone who was a guy who wanted to turn everyone into monsters so much he became a monster that produces monster-turning cells.

Let's go with this one

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

There's a bunch of side-stories in the manga where he beats up monsters while training and he still has his hair. And uh, yeah, he's still loving strong at this point.

yes but that was clearly after he started working out, not before. the only monster he killed before getting stronger was the crab and it was luck that his tie had slipped around the guys eye while he was being knocked around

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What is with all this goalpost moving? I'm saying Saitama can't have been so weak as to suddenly implode from training, because we saw Crablante clearly kill people who are normal, yet here Saitama not only survives being knocked into a loving building of concrete that collapses, he proceeds to save the child from being outright killed, gets his tie around Crablante, which even if you'd argue is a stroke of luck, proceeds to yank his innards out.

A normal loving person couldn't do that by pure luck, you goal-post moving fuckheads.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Calm down genos

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Calm down genos

Fite me

(Seriously, I'm calm, please point out where we disagree on this point, I'm actually curious)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't think the series has anything to gain from explaining the exact source of Saitama's power. :shrug:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Attestant posted:

I don't think the series has anything to gain from explaining the exact source of Saitama's power. :shrug:

Yeah, this. Why are y'all so obsessed with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

What is with all this goalpost moving? I'm saying Saitama can't have been so weak as to suddenly implode from training, because we saw Crablante clearly kill people who are normal, yet here Saitama not only survives being knocked into a loving building of concrete that collapses, he proceeds to save the child from being outright killed, gets his tie around Crablante, which even if you'd argue is a stroke of luck, proceeds to yank his innards out.

A normal loving person couldn't do that by pure luck, you goal-post moving fuckheads.

you dont see him kill anybody, and he gets knocked away like 5 feet, not into a building of concrete that collapses. the only thing exceptional at that time is his fightin spirit

get these anime shitters off my manga discussion