Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I don't understand the idea behind 1% appearance rates.

It encourages obsessive people to spend more time playing your game to 100% it, and as everyone knows, time spent playing is a major indicator of game quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Glazius posted:

I don't understand the idea behind 1% appearance rates.

It's the same logic behind Earthbound's 1/64 and 1/255 drop rates for some of its crap.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Tactless Ogre posted:

Because in nature, it's very rare for certain animals to be seen in the wild and as such, art imitates life. What I can't stand are one percent encounter rates for trash mons.

Because Pokemon is one of those games where even trash mons can get you through the story :v: You really only need to give a poo poo about min-maxing for post-game stuff or if you're one of those weirdos who takes PvP against other pokemon players :reject: very seriously :reject:

And some of the trash mons plain look better than the 'best' ones.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Of course these days with GTS, you can just trade off something else for a 1% pokemon, make babies, and then trade for anything else you could ever want. Only one person has to catch Mareanie before eventually the everyone has one.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's what I did in X/Y. I got my hands on a Manaphy, then stuck it in the Breeders with a Ditto and made a Phione-factory for wonder trading. Everyone gets a Phione! :buddy:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Golbat has a special place in my heart because it is the only shiny pokemon I ever caught legit.
Mine was Ponyta in Gen 2.

Ace of Aces posted:

It's the same logic behind Earthbound's 1/64 and 1/255 drop rates for some of its crap.
Those items in Earthbound aren't close to necessary to complete the game. I guess the 1% appearance Pokemon that we've seen so far aren't either, but I doubt they're going to be restrained to bad fighters.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's what I did in X/Y. I got my hands on a Manaphy, then stuck it in the Breeders with a Ditto and made a Phione-factory for wonder trading. Everyone gets a Phione! :buddy:

Everyone would rather have a Manaphy though

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

get that OUT of my face posted:

Those items in Earthbound aren't close to necessary to complete the game. I guess the 1% appearance Pokemon that we've seen so far aren't either, but I doubt they're going to be restrained to bad fighters.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not as familiar with Uranium as some people in this thread so I can't speculate on what kind of crap they'll throw at you as you try to proceed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They are necessary to catch 'em all tho, which is arguably the true goal of pokemon.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Shortly after X/Y released someone spent all day releasing hundreds of Gravelers named "Testicle" into wonder trade. I got one as did several other goons. I can honestly say I'd rather get wonder traded a Testicle than a Phione. You're a terrible person. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Shortly after X/Y released someone spent all day releasing hundreds of Gravelers named "Testicle" into wonder trade. I got one as did several other goons. I can honestly say I'd rather get wonder traded a Testicle than a Phione. You're a terrible person. :colbert:

Well yeah they're trade evolutions

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Those items in Earthbound aren't close to necessary to complete the game.

Most of them, I'll grant you, but shame on anyone who didn't get the Sword of Kings. :colbert:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mummy Brigade posted:

Golbat and Crobat almost inevitably wind up on my team regardless of what version of Pokemon I'm playing. But that's usually due to them having Poison typing and I've always used a Poison type in my party regardless of how weak and easily beaten they were.
Poison/Flying is pretty neat, you're immune to Ground (Smack Down shenanigans aside) and double-resist Grass, Bug and Fighting. Good speed and decent all-round other stats are nice, too, as is Gen 7's major buff to Leech Life.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I still can't believe that leech life is one of the best bug moves around now

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I still can't believe that leech life is one of the best bug moves around now
I honestly feel bad for X-Scissor, it was once the premier physical Bug move but now it feels like it should have got something to make it stand out from Leech Life and Lunge. Maybe boosted critical hit chance.

Vaguely on-topic: I feel bad for looking, but it seems Smore's name is definitely meant to be a portmanteau of Smoke and Fire.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LAY-ZX posted:

I love garbage Wonder Trade nicknames. I got BIG BUTT the Growlithe and Fart-Turtle the Torkoal on WT today and I love them both without reservation

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Paul.Power posted:

Poison/Flying is pretty neat, you're immune to Ground (Smack Down shenanigans aside) and double-resist Grass, Bug and Fighting. Good speed and decent all-round other stats are nice, too, as is Gen 7's major buff to Leech Life.

The latter improvement is especially useful if, say, you've never really used Zubat before, but one or two are present in your ever-expanding collection of Pokemon you've been transferring upwards from one generation to the next for years, since the slight change of "Zubat gets Absorb as its first move, with Leech Life pushed way back" isn't an issue, so you suddenly have an endgame-quality attack on a Pokemon you'd conceivably use as part of a fresh, new team in whichever Gen VII game feels appropriate.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

LAY-ZX posted:

Like what? Only examples I can think of are Porygon and its evolutions and if you're hating on lovely Polygon Bird I'm gonna have to get mad at the internet at you.

e: Oh poo poo the Klink line is a thing. You can hate that one if you want

Welp, I just had a browse through and there are way less than I seemed to remember. I guess there are two design styles that bother me, one of them being the kind of inorganic look that a lot of the legendaries have (e.g. dialga/palkia/groudon/rayquaza/etc), and the other one where they've just taken some random object and chucked eyes on it, say cofragigus, magnemite, klink, the snowflake and icecream. As I write this I notice that most of them come from black and white. I know, magnemite saved my rear end too when I decided to do an all-steel run, but goddamn if this kind of stuff doesm't smack of lazy design.

[edit]Rhyperior. What the gently caress happened with that design?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 27, 2017

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I'm fine with the latter since it includes Bronzong, who owns. :colbert:

edit: Electrode, too.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Crazy Achmed posted:

[edit]Rhyperior. What the gently caress happened with that design?

Pretty sure I have a good idea...

:kamina:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Paul.Power posted:

Vaguely on-topic: I feel bad for looking, but it seems Smore's name is definitely meant to be a portmanteau of Smoke and Fire.

It seems that half-assed portmanteaus are the bread and butter of this game's naming scheme. Like if you can't tell what the gently caress the joke is in the name, it's not a good name.

And it's frustrating because even though I can't talk about it because we haven't seen them yet, there's a handful of REALLY GOOD names they have, so I know they're capable of good jokes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Antivehicular posted:

I love garbage Wonder Trade nicknames. I got BIG BUTT the Growlithe and Fart-Turtle the Torkoal on WT today and I love them both without reservation

I was breeding up an adamant honedge back in X/Y, and tossed all the rejects onto Wonder Trade named after Gilgamesh's knock off swords.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rhyperior can apparently fire Geodudes out of its hands and it is criminal that this has never been shown in a game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

While I understand the convention behind it, I think it's a shame that Hitmontop is named such out west when its Japanese name is a nod to capoeira, the Brazilian dancing martial art.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

While I understand the convention behind it, I think it's a shame that Hitmontop is named such out west when its Japanese name is a nod to capoeira, the Brazilian dancing martial art.

"Hitmoncap" might have been better, maybe.

McDragon posted:

Rhyperior can apparently fire Geodudes out of its hands and it is criminal that this has never been shown in a game.

I think that's supposed to be what's going on with Rock Wrecker? Except it's a Hyper Beam variant so nobody uses Rock Wrecker, ever.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Well none of the most famous(?) capoeira fighters or dancers had single-syllable last names.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

I have never used a fighting type in these games but now I need to get a Hitmontop and name it Tina Belcher.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Top is a reference to Top man, the best fighter in existence, right?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So I decided to look at the Uranium wiki, at the 'official' art for the new 'mons...

Barewl looks a little better than his sprite?

It still doesn't look great or anything, but at least you can kind of tell it's supposed to be a little rock guy wearing a weird helmet, and not whatever the sprite is supposed to be.

It'd probably look better without the tail and with it's body being closer to Geodude's in texture.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have never used a fighting type in these games but now I need to get a Hitmontop and name it Tina Belcher.
Hitmontop is always male. He must be called Jairo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dexie posted:

So I decided to look at the Uranium wiki, at the 'official' art for the new 'mons...

It still doesn't look great or anything, but at least you can kind of tell it's supposed to be a little rock guy wearing a weird helmet, and not whatever the sprite is supposed to be.

It'd probably look better without the tail and with it's body being closer to Geodude's in texture.

What IS it though?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Gridlocked posted:

What IS it though?

Making the Dreamworks Face without a mouth.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dexie posted:

but at least you can kind of tell it's supposed to be a little rock guydirt sperm wearing a weird helmet, and not whatever the sprite is supposed to be.

If anything, this concept art makes me less certain of what Barewl is, and also makes me dislike it more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

It doesn't have the angry eyebrows so it's far worse.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gridlocked posted:

What IS it though?

It's a Mr. Saturn that has been made cool by the Pigmask Army :ohdear:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Gridlocked posted:

What IS it though?

some kind of nut?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i could never decide what i hated more about uranium. the awful balance or the high amount of awful-looking pokemon that seem to miss the aesthetic that makes canon pokemon look good.

i'm genuinely disappointed that sage is the fangame stuck in slow development

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm genuinely disappointed that sage is the fangame stuck in slow development

Remember that AM2R was, too. And that the world was graced with something awesome as a result.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Man, look at that face. He's just as perplexed by his own existence as we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Ethereal Gates is another fan game that's being worked on. There's been a demo out since late 2015 I think? They're expecting to release sometime this spring iirc, but they've gone mostly offline to avoid any pre-emptive C&D strikes from Nintendo. I'm not an experienced Pokemon player, but I gave it a whirl and it seems like it has a good spirit to it and flows pretty well progression wise. The new pokes are pretty solid designs.

• Locked thread