Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I hope we can ride Rachni like cavalry horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Serf posted:

The Tempest is just kinda boring because it looks like Normandy again.

Yeah that's about the only complain I have. I really don't see where the complaints of ugliness come from.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Those teeny wings are stupid, drop them and it's okay.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It's too smooth if that makes any sense.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DoggPickle posted:

I always liked Mass effect because they ran with a bunch of really confusing issues like the

Genophage: Is it morally correct to kind of sterilize another race when they're hyper-violent , procreating like mad, and will definitely try to kill you soon?

Humans: should we really consider ourselves the most important thing in the universe? It a matter of LIVING versus not. But seeming kind of racist and lovely if we don't.

The Geth: Being scared of AI is a normal thing. These people created the geth and then the geth went sentient and BITCHY and are they real people or not? LOL

There are a lot of really interesting decisions in MA2. Not just kickin that dude out the window which was totally rad.

The genophage had the added baggage of the krogans being uplifted by the salarians and the council races to fight the rachni. So not only did they gently caress with the krogan's development they chemically neutered them and locked them down on their own planet after the rachni were gone. I'm sure it's been done better in sci-fi by other writers. That being said I still enjoyed the hell out of the Tuchunka arc in ME3 and krogans in general.

I wish they'd kept the writer responsible for the geth in ME2. I liked that they were interesting AI who actually just wanted to be left alone in their dyson sphere to chill. Legion has some interesting dialog and info dumps about geth culture if you go through all his interactions. Plus if you hack him into ME2 with gibbed you get to hear a lot more since he was initially planned to be the third squadmate you recruit after Jacob and Miranda. In ME3 they went all pinocchio and it wasn't as interesting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

It's too smooth if that makes any sense.

I kind of miss the ugly ships of the 70s-80s. The millennium falcon looked like it was actually slapped together by scrap from several different derelict ships that somehow worked, however, I doubt you could do that with poo poo made by some SUPER SECRET OPERATION to colonize space. Like maybe in the sequel they could pull that, but here? Nah, you need to make another ship that could look good as in game model in your office.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It looks like something between a cheap plastic toy that's been left in the sun too long and a civilian pleasure yacht where form is far more important than function, giving off the overwhelming impression of something that'd snap along its myriad of incredibly thin surfaces at the slightest provocation. It's like someone gave someone the ME1 and ME2 Normandy and said that's what a Mass Effect hero ship must look like, so make it like that, but sexier. It is sloping in four directions simultaneously and feels like a pancake the ship is that two dimensional. Those four massive engines are barely held to wings that seem no thicker than my handspan (if they break down, does someone need to go EVA?) What's with the janky little wing-a-lings? The ship certainly doesn't need them and seems like just moving parts that'd get fouled up and break/malfunction.

The Normandy was like a dart, making it look lean and fast. It was sleek but it had bulk, looked like it could take a hit or two, which is probably useful. There's just nothing cool about the Tempest. Not the silhouette (which is, in fact, ridiculous when viewed from the top), not anything about it. It feels like a cheap copy of the Normandy. The boring white/blue scheme doesn't do it any favors, either.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 28, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Yo is this game gonna be cool? i saw the one demo with the weird lips and bad gun takeaway but has anything to come out since then made it look good

No, it's going to be awful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Milky Moor posted:

It looks like something between a cheap plastic toy that's been left in the sun too long and a civilian pleasure yacht

As opposed to the previous Mass Effect's para-military pleasure yacht.

Sorry I mean private security gently caress boat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Milky Moor posted:

The Tempest is a ridiculously ugly ship.

All ships need love, even--nay, especially--those that society deems ugly

The true ugliness is in the eyes of the beholder

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Also, it looks just like this thing from Thunderbirds.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The only issue with the Tempest, aside from being a boring retread of the Normandy, are those dinky little wings on the front. Knock those off and you've basically got the Normandy again, which is meh but whatever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'd just wish they'd pick either is this is the Enterprise or a Space Station. Making the gently caress boat somehow both really huge, but also some sort of combat/stealth vessel seem really pointless. Oh well, I doubt it'll loving matter. They probably need action scenes where your ship's attacked or is running away from the aliens!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Crabtree posted:

I'd just wish they'd pick either is this is the Enterprise or a Space Station. Making the gently caress boat somehow both really huge, but also some sort of combat/stealth vessel seem really pointless. Oh well, I doubt it'll loving matter. They probably need action scenes where your ship's attacked or is running away from the aliens!

The Tempest is the Enterprise while the Nexus is the Space Station.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Crabtree posted:

They have both. The Tempest, which is the ship you fly around in, and the Nexus, which is the big-rear end colony ship slash space station that will presumably act as some kind of hub. They're not the same vessel.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The Tempest is the Enterprise while the Nexus is the Space Station.

Oh whoops, I forgot that other even dumber looking ship! It's like some sort of space rock that they turned into a planet sized sky scraper.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Oh whoops, I forgot that other even dumber looking ship! It's like some sort of space rock that they turned into a planet sized sky scraper.

Are you talking about the human ark, Hyperion?

Edit: Actually, are you talking about Omega from ME2 and 3? None of the ME:A ships I've seen look like rocks.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 28, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah it's got the styling of a 2009 downmarket sports car with the engineering sensibilities of a, how to put this, 'cheap piece of poo poo."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milky Moor posted:

What's with the janky little wing-a-lings? The ship certainly doesn't need them and seems like just moving parts that'd get fouled up and break/malfunction.
They're canards? You might as well ask why the Normandy has dinky little fins or engine pylons that move (and seem far too weak to hold the engines).

That Thunderbirds thing was obviously inspired by actual planes like the XB70 too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah it's got the styling of a 2009 downmarket sports car with the engineering sensibilities of a, how to put this, 'cheap piece of poo poo."

Needs to be a scene where the new Joker equivalent is trying to stop his big gulp rattling out of the rickety plastic cup holder.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ramadu posted:

Yo is this game gonna be cool? i saw the one demo with the weird lips and bad gun takeaway but has anything to come out since then made it look good

I genuinely think it will be very good.

But, I loved every entry in the series and can't say many bad things about it aside from ME3 having a silly ending.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There is an interesting correlation going on in this thread, where the people who are complaining the most about a video game ship are, probability-wise, the nearest to the size and weight of a ship themselves

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. Supposing a homophobic society is 90% likely to result in a ham-fisted "Homophobia is bad!" sermon. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and the grog rage would be its own reward, I do think it's an unnecessary minefield that Bioware will avoid because they typically like to play it safe.

Still holding out for something like Dick Ryder being canonically gay when you play as Sarah, though. Grog rage is delicious.

I love it when my video games lecture me. Maybe they can work in some snide references to Trump.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

There is an interesting correlation going on in this thread, where the people who are complaining the most about a video game ship are, probability-wise, the nearest to the size and weight of a ship themselves

I agree, if you hate the videogame you must be fat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I agree, if you hate the videogame you must be fat.

fattie spotted haha #gotem

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Deakul posted:

I genuinely think it will be very good.

But, I loved every entry in the series and can't say many bad things about it aside from ME3 having a silly ending.

Yeah, me too. Honestly, my main problem with ME3 was that it was too short which will hopefully not be the case with Andromeda.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Those loving eyebrows lol

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

you piece of poo poo i told you that in confidence

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Turd filter lol

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Milky Moor posted:

you piece of poo poo i told you that in confidence

Can i ride you to another galaxy?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Everytime the ship goes somewhere the pilot really needs to say 'Pathfinders are go!'.

That would be awesome. Flying around on the Fireflash would loving own and only a subhuman would think differently.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

comatose posted:

Those loving eyebrows lol

What if Peebee's father is a human and that caused her to grow eyebrows?

(Please no one be a mega-nerd and explain Asari genetics to me.)

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 28, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Lycus posted:

What if Peebee's father is a human and that caused her to grow eyebrows?

(Please no one be a mega-nerd and explain Asari genetics to me.)

Codex says regardless of the father, the child is always an Asari. The child does not receive physical traits.

Edit: Oops.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurtofan posted:

"Mass Effect Archive" is a save import/export feature not unlike Dragon Age Keep. Andromeda's save file can be uploaded for, assumebly, future Mass Effect titles.[1]

I only saw the Keep once, so I wonder how it will handle people playing through repeatedly to see the good cop/bad cop sides of things. Didn't it only allow you one "active" character?

Vitamin P posted:

To scratch the space opera itch til this comes out I've been playing Technomancer and am really, really enjoying it.

It definitely has a few rough edges but it feels like Dune meets Witcher 3 in a lot of ways and some of the character writing is Legit. Not too far yet but yeah, anyone wanting some sci fi action RPG while we wait for Andromeda it's worth giving a go.

I wanted to like Technomancer, but it was pretty ridiculous how literally any street punk could wipe the floor with your lightning wizard, and every enemy came in packs of 10-20. A shame, since it did seem to have a lot of personality.

Glenn Quebec posted:

As much as I don't care you're 100% correct. It also went from somewhere between hard and soft sci-fi into deep space opera fantasy. Tbh I was surprised you didn't get a laser sword at some point

Don't worry, they're adding melee weapons.

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/822166042134904832

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Is it weird that I think it's weird that more people weren't upset about punching the reporter? Like I mean, poo poo yeah it's hilarious, but it's also uh, pretty fuckin' fascist!

It's not like he punched EVERY reporter, just the one. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

Hey, that's not true!

I'm okay with the video game ship

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

She has very masculine features, like 5-o'clock shadow and a square, rugged chin.

Also, for some reason combined with everything, her cheeks and upper lip area looks very mannish. I guess it is because she has no dimples.

4 out of 10, will likely regretfully bang.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Can i ride you to another galaxy?

not anymore!

Glenn Quebec posted:

As much as I don't care you're 100% correct. It also went from somewhere between hard and soft sci-fi into deep space opera fantasy. Tbh I was surprised you didn't get a laser sword at some point

No matter what else I've said in this thread, and I've said a lot of things, this is actually my number one issue with the ME series as it stands.

I really liked how ME1 did biotics and tech. I liked how biotics were powerful but limited. You could make someone lighter, shove them around, do a barrier which could just be slowing object velocity as they got closer to you, all that kind of thing that felt like extensions of the same basic idea, that of being able to fiddle with gravity and mass. Tech was all hacking and making people's guns overload and stuff. Now, I'm not saying it was particularly fun or neat to look at, but it felt unique and 'grounded'. I think the Codex and Kaidan pointed out that doing even those simple biotic things took a ton of energy and effort to do.

Then ME2 comes out and you can use your omni-tool to freeze people or blow them up or summon a holographic drone that can somehow still hurt people and biotics basically become magic with stuff like Charge and Nova with their big blue teleporting explosions. And then ME3 doubles down on all that and gives Shepard an energy punch-sword and, okay, sure, whatever, guys.