Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/836426532713283584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
http://nmpoliticalreport.com/175426/automatic-voter-registration-bill-dies-in-committee/
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...ith-Republicans

The Democratic Party: We're Afraid to Win! We Hate Ourselves!

VirtualStranger has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Feb 28, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

comingafteryouall posted:

I mean it's possible, you could hit it big on an investment and definitely have some class mobility.

you can also lose all of your investment.

I would want to know why the person is making the argument in the first place. are they arguing against wealth redistribution? saying that since it is technically possible for class mobility, the american dream is alive and well and everyone needs to shut up and sit down?

That Americans should stop complaining about their lack of pay so much and instead of buying iPhones they should spend $500 a year on stock.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I meant for middle class/lower middle class Americans.

Why can't they save say $250 per year, and invest that to stocks which have an average of 7% per return on investment.
stocks as an investment are volatile and you can lose your principal. if you're poor, volatility is bad. you need a large pool of money to rationally handle volatility even if it's a winning investment overall.

if you're poor, you usually have many different forms of debt. paying off your debt is generally a wiser financial move than investing in anything.

if your debt APR is <= 7% that doesn't mean that it's the rational choice to invest in stocks with the assumption that they are a 7% year on year ROI when you're poor. again, stocks are super volatile.

imagine if instead of CDs or a savings account as a poor, you had put that money in stocks before the 2008 crash. you would have been far worse off.

also generally you should invest in index or mutual funds. even in the scenario a poor picks specific stocks (lol) and hits the lotto and doubles their investment, they're still loving poor.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also just because the market has performed a certain amount on average in the past is not a predictor of the future. a 7% average APR is not guaranteed.

people generally just want to find some justification for why they can blame the poor for their problems. poors not saving enough money or not being savvy investors is a very common punching bag. these people usually don't want to support agendas that help the poor like reducing volatility of healthcare costs or supporting educational or vocational opportunities.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
TLDR Stocks are gambling for rich people who want to feel smart about gambling, there might be some card counting tricks to fool small-fry but in the end its still a clique of millionaires with insider info you dont have who win

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMX8QlZ5kdk&t=500s

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

imagine you had a poor person and you scolded him to invest in stocks. maybe he gets a marginally better retirement or he's wiped out when the market cyclically crashes again.

imagine that same poor person and instead you provide them with vocational training or opportunities in higher learning. they are on average going to have way better class mobility and also benefit society as a whole multiple times over what society has invested in them. this is considered crazy thinking to most democrats/liberals.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it boggles my mind that people will (at least nominally) support public funding of K-12 education but after that gently caress you.

it also boggles my mind that people will support medicare but if you say maybe we should lower the age of medicare people go insane.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
irregardless, she persisted

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Neoliberals and conservatives live in a world where what we currently have (and what we had in the past) is the only things within the realm of reality. Conservatives want to tear down existing institutions (that are unfavorable to their interests), but don't wish to create anything. Neoliberals desperately try to cling onto existing institutions, but can't fathom the idea of any major shift or change happening. All change must be slow and incremental, and definitely within existing systems/channels/methods, to the point where the change isn't even keeping up with the failing system it's trying to fix at the rate it's failing,

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

comedyblissoption posted:

it also boggles my mind that people will support medicare but if you say maybe we should lower the age of medicare people go insane.

the medicare age should be lowered to zero, imo

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Christ I'm reading the last 2 days and the standard people immediately went into "HillaryPerez won mode, why are you mad" and "Tim KainPerez represents the people better" and "BernieEllison got a leadership role because they're great (and not to shut people up while giving them essentially no power)"

:psyduck:
It's like people didn't loving learn a thing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ThndrShk2k posted:

Christ I'm reading the last 2 days and the standard people immediately went into "HillaryPerez won mode, why are you mad" and "Tim KainPerez represents the people better" and "BernieEllison got a leadership role because they're great (and not to shut people up while giving them essentially no power)"

yeah its both a little creepy and hilarious.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yall spouting the DNC line makes me think theres like, a few facebook groups with hella groupthink going on :/

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

ThndrShk2k posted:

what about the substandard people

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
please do not squirt the DNC limes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Baloogan posted:

yall spouting the DNC line makes me think theres like, a few facebook groups with hella groupthink going on :/

no its just part of being a liberal

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no its just part of being a liberal

im so so sorry for your loss

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
feedin' the dnc lines like the medellin

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

liberals believe it was tone and messaging that was the problem

not the platform or policies

of course they'd be fine w/ perez

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mormonpartyboat posted:

please do not squirt the DNC limes

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

mormonpartyboat posted:

what about the substandard people

I'll take a footlong on Italian Herb and Cheese, please.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Wow, Bill Burr is...right?

it boggles my mind that people will (at least nominally) support public funding of K-12 education but after that gently caress you.

I like your posts.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's always a rotating villain in the Democratic Party willing to kill a bill.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what did u assholes do to get us named the suck zone, huh!?

<:mad:>

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

just for the record:

the tn dems transferred $641k in hvf funds to the dnc, which again was money that they never agreed was theirs and was always supposed to go back to dnc. this cycle, they received $310k in transfers from the national committee. so the tn democratic party got a good amount of money. the $1.36 million cited by gene hackman was, not surprisingly, blatantly wrong and stupid. here's the source for that: https://www.opensecrets.org/states/other.php?state=TN&cycle=2016

Actually, you are blatantly wrong and stupid. the 1.36 million cited was the sum of money Tennessee DONORS directly contributed to Hillary, not the money transferred from Tennessee dem party to the DNC, and it was taken from the FEC summary report for TN.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

They're just reaching across the aisle. Nothing wrong with that :downs:

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

i'm just chillin in south bend

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

i was under the impression that despite going in looking like a Clinton stooge terry did actual good things in VA

the criteria for doing good things as va governor are as follows:

1- don't do anything to interrupt the flow of money from dc

2- don't get caught accepting bribes

don't build too many toll roads is a far distant third but not that important

in that regard owing to mcauliffe's previous career as a bagman he was perfectly suited for the job

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Buttigieg supporters are pretty terrible and will inevitably metastasize into the cancer that kills this subforum. The one downside to the HillShill Toxx Amnesty is that it didn't permanently remove them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

liberals believe it was tone and messaging that was the problem

not the platform or policies

of course they'd be fine w/ perez

And they only say this if forced; among polite company where everyone agrees that Hillary Was Good, they believe it was Americans being generally awful that was the problem

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Baloogan posted:

two way street loogs, two way street.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rand alPaul posted:

There's always a rotating villain in the Democratic Party willing to kill a bill.

every face needs a heel

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yes, let's help Republicas further the cause of whittling the Democratic Party out of existence.

The Democratic Party is going to be a third party in upcoming years at this rate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Having A Party Whip Is Undemocratic And Bullying, Says Increasingly Nervous Party

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it never really was about tone and message, otherwise they would have gone with someone less ghoulish who could say four sentences without having to walk three of them back.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The Democratic Party needs to die and be replaced.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage, born into a prison that you cannot smell or taste or touch. A prison for your mind.

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the democratic party is. You have to see it for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EdXuazXKBA&t=12s

• Locked thread