Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Only the Grungust/Huckebein scenarios, I guess because they're sort of shoved in there.

So, would that mean you could force the mission to play at the correct time in a NG+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MightyPretenders posted:

So, would that mean you could force the mission to play at the correct time in a NG+?

It seems like the from-scenario-chart missions are basically locked to specific stats/levels so I doubt they give you the unit upon finishing.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Just wanted comment that Martian Successor grunt units have some of my favorite quotes in this game. The best possibly being, "You outdated super robot! You need to be dark and edgy nowadays!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryoga posted:

Just wanted comment that Martian Successor grunt units have some of my favorite quotes in this game. The best possibly being, "You outdated super robot! You need to be dark and edgy nowadays!"
drat that guy needs a Sun Attack crammed up his rear end so bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whoever decided to put Prince of Darkness and Might Gaine in a game together deserves a goddamn award.

It is a pairing I never would have considered and yet works *perfectly.*

Edit:

I think Chitose is probably in my upper tier of favorite originals.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 28, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I am not going to lie, I am really close to kicking Hathaway out of the Xi and putting Seabook in it (or any other newtype if possible). Hathaway's spirits are just... not great, and the thing is moderately upgraded and he still manages to gently caress things up a lot of times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I am not going to lie, I am really close to kicking Hathaway out of the Xi and putting Seabook in it (or any other newtype if possible). Hathaway's spirits are just... not great, and the thing is moderately upgraded and he still manages to gently caress things up a lot of times.

I gave Xi Gundam to Marida and never looked back.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Inferno-sama posted:

So long as you did the special stage, you're fine.

Hell yeah, gonna get me a special boy. The natto stage is amazing. Everything Might Gaine so far is great.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm now into the third universe and I'm actually in support of having a bunch of separate worlds you bounce around between, because it frees them up to have wildly different histories and world-changing events that would otherwise be contradictory, like how Gurren-Lagann, Armageddon, EVA, and Aquarion EVOL were all their own weird islands in Z2/3. It works a lot better than trying to jam everything together, either implicitly (Alpha) or actually (Z).

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Caphi posted:

Wait, can you just replay missions from the chart?

You could for the special scenarios in Alpha 3 too, I guess it's just an idea they go back to occasionally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I'm now into the third universe and I'm actually in support of having a bunch of separate worlds you bounce around between, because it frees them up to have wildly different histories and world-changing events that would otherwise be contradictory, like how Gurren-Lagann, Armageddon, EVA, and Aquarion EVOL were all their own weird islands in Z2/3. It works a lot better than trying to jam everything together, either implicitly (Alpha) or actually (Z).

I think it works well here because they are jamming together but in ways that largely make sense and have interesting interaction and, perhaps most importantly, they're not just shoving EVERYTHING UC into the same world so they get to play around with UC stuff in fun ways.

Edit: Since someone asked, here is Yazan's ace skit:

http://imgur.com/a/qe0XB

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 28, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaX posted:

Supposedly Hathaway needs to be in Xi to shoot down Lane a couple times for a Xi-related secret, but other than that Hathaway is literally one of the worst UC pilots in the game.

Poor boy. :smith:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I probably should have asked this ages ago but is there an indicator for forced deployments for the next mission?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oh Snapple! posted:

I probably should have asked this ages ago but is there an indicator for forced deployments for the next mission?

As usual it says EV next to the unit in the list.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

As usual it says EV next to the unit in the list.

I never knew that :downs:. Thanks

I'm so used to squads/twins and them having their own apparent groupings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanos posted:

Supposedly Hathaway needs to be in Xi to shoot down Lane a couple times for a Xi-related secret, but other than that Hathaway is literally one of the worst UC pilots in the game.

Poor boy. :smith:

Weird, he's been pretty good for me so far. All I did was use Gain to level him up fast, and suddenly he became good.

Edit: His Defiance skill is so weird. I guess it makes him good against bosses?

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 28, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance basically is supposed to make up for his kinda crappy stats but it really doesn't pan out much and actively punishes you for trying to improve him with skill parts.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Does anyone have a list of all the UC suits in the game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is probably one of the funniest exchanges in all SRW.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Defiance (I guess that's what they're calling it now) seems even worse than it was before, since Cyber Fairy grants bonuses to Skill.

I guess Z3 had the Twins Sphere Act, which did the same thing. Really, I don't know why they bothered making a skill as a consolation prize for pilots with poo poo Skill.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Caphi posted:

Defiance (I guess that's what they're calling it now) seems even worse than it was before, since Cyber Fairy grants bonuses to Skill.

I guess Z3 had the Twins Sphere Act, which did the same thing. Really, I don't know why they bothered making a skill as a consolation prize for pilots with poo poo Skill.

It's pretty okay to put on bosses, and they did that a few times (the Mightgaine bosses in particular seem to have it a lot). As a player skill it's kind of a booby prize, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Finally finished.

Honestly this is probably in my top 5 SRWs. It's not super-exceptional in gameplay mechanics but they go all-in on giving it fun exciting crossover stuff. The main villain faction is weak as hell but in a way that doesn't distract from the game and after the last batch of original villains that's a huge relief. Especially after Z3 it's nice to have a SRW that just reminds me of why I like SRW so much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also it doesn't include Macross Frontier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Also it doesn't include Macross Frontier.

Also and especially that.

I'm just saying that the less Macross Frontier a game contains the better the franchise is. The worst ACE? The one with Macross Frontier. The best recent SRW? The one without Macross Frontier. It isn't a coincidence.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there anything new or cool to the Huck and Grungust or is it just business as usual? After playing MD I am pretty original'd out.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Nothing like Tobia having 20 SP Valor, never not deal double damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Is there anything new or cool to the Huck and Grungust or is it just business as usual? After playing MD I am pretty original'd out.

It's kind of the opposite. They're explicitly there to be the original callback Huck and Grungust instead of the various new hotnesses. Beyond having new pilots they got nothing but straight-up tradition going for em.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just wish they'd have included the transformations for the Grungust instead of rolling it into an attack but oh well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I just wish they'd have included the transformations for the Grungust instead of rolling it into an attack but oh well.

Yeah, it's weird they didn't because there are dialogue lines mentioning using the Wing Gust to get places faster. I guess it was a cut-for-time thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pureauthor posted:

That's the case for a lot of units

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

It's nice that we actually get to see the thing transform. That's one thing that you don't get out of SRW.

Actually now that we're finally back to iso sprites I was hoping for some good map animations and was pretty disappointed by Might Gaine's first fusion. And Z was full of the things - Zambot, Baldios, God Gravion, Aquarion...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Finally finished.

Honestly this is probably in my top 5 SRWs. It's not super-exceptional in gameplay mechanics but they go all-in on giving it fun exciting crossover stuff. The main villain faction is weak as hell but in a way that doesn't distract from the game and after the last batch of original villains that's a huge relief. Especially after Z3 it's nice to have a SRW that just reminds me of why I like SRW so much.
I'm on mission 18 or so and only now starting to get into the groove. It's always like this in SRW though and they should really do something about it. With the exception of maybe Alpha 3's crazy everyone together intro. Oh and I suppose F Final's opening horror.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

I mean while having the transformations is kind of neat they're almost always completely loving useless so I don't really mind them being cut. The only time I ever use transformed modes is for getting places slightly faster every so often since they're always dramatically inferior in every other respect to the robot form.

I'm a huge Grungust fanboy who typically has Irm in my top three aces in every OG game and I literally can't remember the last time I used the Gust Lander for anything. Maybe once or twice in the GBA OG games???

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 28, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

I mean while having the transformations is kind of neat they're almost always completely loving useless so I don't really mind them being cut. The only time I ever use transformed modes is for getting places slightly faster every so often since they're always dramatically inferior in every other respect to the robot form.
It used to be a big deal that Shin Getter's FUB was the ability to transform after moving, and imo that would be essential to make transforming worth it in most situations.

I guess with mobile suits that have a flight mode but no Minovsky lift you have no choice but to transform to get them across the map quickly sometimes, but other than that...

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Finished the 2nd playthrough, one short of platinum emblem because I'm stupid and didn't finish the first SR point and missed some other crappy one in the middle because I overkilled too much :suicide: .

True ending is a lot more satisfying than the normal ending though; probably try to eke in another playthrough around Nier: Automata.

Probably one of my more favorite SRWs; although I kind of wish that it wasn't split on Vita since the compromises made (compared to like OG MD) are pretty obvious.

Wish there was a bit more flexibility in moving pilots around too, sucks that a lot of minor characters gets stuck with nothing but grunt suits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

OG MD was on Vita too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

OG MD was on Vita too.
Maybe in some alternate universe? SRW is all about those these days.

edit: an alternate universe where the Vita can put out that kind of animation at a good frame rate. I guess it would have to have split off before the Vita started development. Again, sounds very SRW.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 28, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe in some alternate universe? SRW is all about those these days.

edit: an alternate universe where the Vita can put out that kind of animation at a good frame rate. I guess it would have to have split off before the Vita started development. Again, sounds very SRW.

Huh. I remember reading there were both a PS3 and Vita version that remained untranslated.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Huh. I remember reading there were both a PS3 and Vita version that remained untranslated.
Sounds like the kind of rumors I heard about Japanese games when I was in middle school, like that they were up to Mario 14 in Japan and stuff. I guess some things never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sounds like the kind of rumors I heard about Japanese games when I was in middle school, like that they were up to Mario 14 in Japan and stuff. I guess some things never change.

Nah, I remember that from the original announcement. Or maybe online shops like play asia? Anyway, it wasn't true so whatever.

But gently caress the PS4 cause I don't have one, keep making the games for vita.

• Locked thread