Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/fgosportswriter/status/831313195159674880

North Dakota State's OC is reportedly leaving for a job on the Iowa staff. If you can't beat 'em....

I assume he's going to be the RB coach and jokes aside it's a really good hire. NDSU is obviously a great program generally, but it's also pretty close to the perfect place for Iowa to poach from. Run heavy offense (i wish we incorporated the QB run game the way they do but don't expect it), we target similar types of players, and they recruit from the same general geographic area. He also is another guy with playcalling experience for Brian to use as a sounding board as he grows into that role. I would guess he'd be a potential OC for us down the road if the expected succession plan with Brian taking over for Kirk actually happens

E: edited to include the right tweet

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

momtartin posted:

Like father, like son.

More like a significant percentage of abusers were warped by abuse themselves. Not that it matters, but he's adopted.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also sounds like Iowa is probably hiring Kelton Copeland from Northern Illinois as the WR coach. He just followed a shitload of Iowa coaches and writers on twitter and changed his twitter banner from a NIU logo to a generic one. I don't really know a ton about him, but I know Kirk thinks really highly of the NIU program so I'm not surprised it was someone from there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In frankly shocking news, a board of regents found their loving balls when dealing with a coach, at least temporarily. Mike MacIntire's extension has been delayed while the Colorado BOR looks into how he handled accused domestic abuser Joe Tumpkin.

Mac's statement:

quote:

Upon hearing the allegations by Joe Tumpkin’s girlfriend, my initial reaction and foremost concern was for her safety. I reiterated that to her several times and confirmed that she was in fact, safe.

In the same conversation, I was clear in communicating to her my obligation as a university employee to notify my superior, which is exactly what I did. I can say I did everything necessary to ensure this individual’s statements were relayed immediately.

I would like to clarify the following reported statements:

There were two separate conversations. The first was her report to me of the abuse. In the second conversation, I communicated to her that I reported it.

Tumpkin was made the play caller for the bowl game because, at the time of the decision, there was no police report or legal complaint. This decision was approved by my superiors.

I want to be clear I unequivocally endorse the chancellor’s plans for improving CU’s policies and practices in dealing with matters of domestic violence and pledge that I and the entire football coaching staff will work to carry out our obligations under university policy.

So an assistant coach's girlfriend contacts you and describes years of being abused by the assistant. You promote the assistant one week later. Yeah, OK.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 14, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/fgosportswriter/status/831313195159674880

North Dakota State's OC is reportedly leaving for a job on the Iowa staff. If you can't beat 'em....

I assume he's going to be the RB coach and jokes aside it's a really good hire. NDSU is obviously a great program generally, but it's also pretty close to the perfect place for Iowa to poach from. Run heavy offense (i wish we incorporated the QB run game the way they do but don't expect it), we target similar types of players, and they recruit from the same general geographic area. He also is another guy with playcalling experience for Brian to use as a sounding board as he grows into that role. I would guess he'd be a potential OC for us down the road if the expected succession plan with Brian taking over for Kirk actually happens

E: edited to include the right tweet

He's actually gonna be the OL coach, not RB coach, I guess. I don't think he's actually coached OL before but given who our head coach and OC are it probably doesn't matter too much. I would assume this means Brian is probably moving to RB coach in addition to being the OC.

E: one way it's potentially interesting is that it could signal the Iowa running game moving even farther away from being 90% zone. Brian had already started incorporating more power and counter plays featuring pulling linemen, and that was the bulk of NDSU's run game. Those have been our most successful plays so that'd be exciting

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 14, 2017

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
WHO THE gently caress IS BRIAN DABOLL

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Scionix posted:

Uh...his record as an OC in the NFL at least is. Let's call it lacking.

e: Oh god he's part of the Patriots way.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol Brian Daboll is pure trash

he's "patriots way" in the same way Jeff Davison is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Saban has had enough of these uppity good OCs, he's going back to winning 9-6

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

MourningView posted:

Saban has had enough of these uppity good OCs, he's going back to winning 9-6

thank

loving

god

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Scionix posted:

He's offbrand Brian Schottenheimer.Imagine Schottenheimer with a worse passing game design and stale running concepts.

You know that saying, "Date the opposite of your last breakup." That's what Saban's doing here.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Brian Daboll's offense got Peyton Hillis the loving Madden cover

Colt McCoy started eight games, Jake Delhomme four games and Seneca Wallace also four games. Fun year in Cleveland.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Tom Sellout posted:

Colt McCoy started eight games, Jake Delhomme four games and Seneca Wallace also four games. Fun year in Cleveland.

I'm a Browns fan, and Hillis didn't even break 1200 yards that year, year before no one broke like 850. And that was despite us being like top 10 in rushing attempts.

Imagine a manball where even the run game sucks

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Scionix posted:

Brian "Daboll" Swinney

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/832701724783566848

Oh thank god

Clint ain't no rat

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tom Sellout posted:

Peyton Hillis being a white dude who got a lot of carries and people from Ohio being dumb got Peyton Hillis the madden cover. It's not like they gave it to him because he was a huge star, he won a dumb online poll.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He did singlehandedly beat the patriots that year.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
hey now theres a segment of razorback fans that like peyton hillis for Running The Football The Right Way and i personally can't see a single difference between peyton hillis and felix jones and darren mcfadden no siree

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Scionix posted:

Someone who won't call clock-stopping, low-percentage passes while protecting a lead in the NCG. At least not as many as Sarkisian. He just got done coaching TE at the Patriots, so Bama will now probably star some giant, unstoppable TE who somehow avoids the coverage gets away with lots of OPI and takes 5 to 10 yards to bring down after the catch. Plus the usual incredible running game.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LLCoolJD posted:

Someone who won't call clock-stopping, low-percentage passes while protecting a lead in the NCG. At least not as many as Sarkisian. He just got done coaching TE at the Patriots, so Bama will now probably star some giant, unstoppable TE who somehow avoids the coverage gets away with lots of OPI and takes 5 to 10 yards to bring down after the catch. Plus the usual incredible running game.

it's everything i ever wanted

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

OJ Howard seen furiously altering his birth certificate.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DC Murderverse posted:

He obviously knows that Kansas State is going to return to their pre-Snyder levels of suck once he's gone, so continuing to coach is a pretty honorable thing to do.

Well he also retired once and decided he liked coaching better. I think he will do it until he is physically incapable of continuing.

In unrelated news, it bears repeating that someone hired Shawn Watson to be their OC in 2017. Further proof that it is impossible to fail your way out of the coaching fraternity once you have reached a certain level. Job security is terrible but you can always get another one.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Bob Bostad fills the linebacker coaching duties at Wisconsin after reshuffling in Wilcox's departure. Two interesting things:
1. He was on the offensive side for his entire coaching career, just having played linebacker at Stevens Point.
2. He was the offensive line coach at Wisconsin from 2008-2011. 2010 had 6 offensive lineman make all-conference honors.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bubba Cunningham, current UNC AD, is now in the picture for the Tennessee job.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Bubba Cunningham, current UNC AD, is now in the picture for the Tennessee job.

Seems like a good thing, but UNC already opened the bank for them to keep him from going to Florida. I wonder if they'd do it again.

It's also really weird how they're treating Blackburn. It seems like the guy really wants to go to Knoxville but they're not letting him - wonder what happened.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Seems like a good thing, but UNC already opened the bank for them to keep him from going to Florida. I wonder if they'd do it again.

It's also really weird how they're treating Blackburn. It seems like the guy really wants to go to Knoxville but they're not letting him - wonder what happened.

Yeah Bubba's a really good AD and was handed quite a mess at UNC when he showed up.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Dan Mullen just got a 4 year extension. Presumably for ratting out ole miss

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dan Mullen is going to be paid $4.5 million in 2017 to finish 4th at very best in his division. :stare:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

Dan Mullen is going to be paid $4.5 million in 2017 to finish 4th at very best in his division. :stare:

Because I'm sure Mississippi State can do much better with anyone else

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

Because I'm sure Mississippi State can do much better with anyone else

oh yeah that's their ceiling, no question, but holy hell that's a lot of money to maaayyybe get 8 wins if you're lucky

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

DJExile posted:

They beat Texas A&M during a rebuilding year. The Mullen money is their way of preventing basement team status.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DJExile posted:

oh yeah that's their ceiling, no question, but holy hell that's a lot of money to maaayyybe get 8 wins if you're lucky

Well the alternative is to not even attempt to be competitive at football which isn't going to fly at an SEC school.

They're also only a couple of years removed from a 10 win season.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 28, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

big money big clit posted:

Well the alternative is to not even attempt to be competitive at football which isn't going to fly at an SEC school.
I guess there isn't like a $2 million/yr habitat they can just hide in and aim for "bowl more often than not" anymore in the age of Saban.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I guess there isn't like a $2 million/yr habitat they can just hide in and aim for "bowl more often than not" anymore in the age of Saban.

Well, that and realistically Alabama is winning the west basically every year til Saban is called home to hell, and none of the other SEC west teams have looked particularly consistent lately, so second place in the west is up for grabs pretty much every year and Mullen is a good enough coach to get MSU there occasionally, when he's got a senior heavy class.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DJExile posted:

He got Mississippi State to the point where they were ranked in the Top 5 in the middle of a season. That's worth 2 million a year for the rest of his career IMO.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DC Murderverse posted:

He got Mississippi State to the point where they were ranked in the Top 5 in the middle of a season. That's worth 2 million a year for the rest of his career IMO.

Hell, they were number one for a couple weeks in 2014. One of only five schools to be ranked #1 at any point in the last 4 seasons.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Pakled posted:

Hell, they were number one for a couple weeks in 2014. One of only five schools to be ranked #1 at any point in the last 4 seasons.

So: Bama, Clemson, Miss State, Ole Miss, Florida State?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

big money big clit posted:

Well, that and realistically Alabama is winning the west basically every year til Saban is called home to hell

Yeah then Dabo goes back to his Alma Mater and the Tide continues to dominate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah then Dabo goes back to his Alma Mater and the Tide continues to dominate.

This would cause South Carolina to secede again.

• Locked thread