Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrFNZRxDe8c

On track action.
I miss the V10's a lot, and V8's a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The engines sound a lot healthier this year.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Norns posted:

The engines sound a lot healthier this year.

I think this is because we are watching "dude with camera trackside" videos, not the TV camera microphone a mile and a half away so they can get that "PIRELLI PIRELLI PIRELLI PIRELLI" trackside sponsor wide shot. (Along with ruining the sound this also ruins the sense of speed, f1 should be nothing but tight panning shots, but bernie would have had to have a smaller pool or something)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

At the very least that Ferrari looks like a race winner.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

It is an extremely good thing that this thread has not had to deal with Ferrari and McLaren both being title contenders for several years.

To be fair the Red Bull stans were just as awful

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

The McLaren looks even worse on the track than in the photos. I thought the Force India sharkfin was the lowest it could get when I first seen it, but nah man. This McLaren could possibly be the ugliest Formula 1 car of the modern era. Yes, even worse than mid 90's poo poo teams like the MTV Europe sponsored Pacific or the :krad: Footwork Arrows.

BubbaGrace fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 28, 2017

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The Merc marauds fairly ominously

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Magnaflux posted:

On track action.

Holy gently caress, the Merc's look like something else on track. They are going to absolutely poo poo on everyone :stonklol:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Christ the Mclaren looks like a F1 car template. Didn't even recognise it until I saw the name on the back of the rear wing.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Scud looks great. Renault looks like trash. Haas is uninspiring.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The sauber looks so so good in motion.

That's like the perfect blue.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Way to pick an orange that doesn't even look orange lmao

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm looking forward to reading an interview with Alonso after he's retired where he describes this McLaren as the ugliest car he's ever driven.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
What time does this shindig start again tomorrow?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm glad F1 is fun to talk about again.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm glad F1 is fun to talk about again.
Don't worry, that'll end in Melbourne.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
McCrappen.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ron Dennis named to U.K.’s Ministry of Defense advisory panel

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/02/27/ron-dennis-named-to-u-k-s-ministry-of-defense-advisory-panel/

quote:

Ron Dennis’ post-McLaren world will involve politics of a different kind, rather than the politics inside the proverbial “piranha club” that is Formula 1.
Dennis, who officially stepped down as McLaren chairman over the winter as part of a significant organizational restructuring, was named Monday to a new advisory panel outlined by the U.K.’s Defense Secretary, Sir Michael Fallon, during a speech at the University of Oxford.

Per a release, the new Defense Innovation Advisory Panel will look to “encourage imagination, ingenuity and entrepreneurship” to help maintain a military advantage in the future.
Dennis was named alongside two others, Innovate UK Chief Executive Ruth Mckernan, and retiring GCHQ Director Robert Hannigan. That trio join veteran British astronaut Major Tim Peake on Fallon’s panel.

“There can be nothing more important than our national security,” Dennis said in the release. “And I’m enthusiastic to be among the first of those named to this world-class Panel, who have joined MOD to spearhead their efforts to innovate across the organization, from technology to culture – challenging the status quo, staying ahead of the curve through change and innovation.”

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

:fuckoff:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ow. I was getting a little excited, I mean look at those cars and Danny is all MY TIME and the McLaren is orange..

I haven't bought tickets yet. I can't get them from the friend I usually do. All that's left would be like $400 to sit in Brabham..

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd love to know what the hole in the nose of the RB13 is for.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Ow. I was getting a little excited, I mean look at those cars and Danny is all MY TIME and the McLaren is orange..

I haven't bought tickets yet. I can't get them from the friend I usually do. All that's left would be like $400 to sit in Brabham..

I'm prolly just going to see what's going on at Fed Square and down the river while it's on. If there's anything interesting, that'll do me.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Magnaflux posted:

On track action.

I thought I would hate the 2008esque dumb wide rear wing but the cars look pretty

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Live feed link for the lazy http://www.autosport.com/live/commentary/id/2508414/formula-1-testing-2017-barcelona-f1-test-day-two

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Aaaaand the McLaren's broken down.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BubbaGrace posted:

The McLaren looks even worse on the track than in the photos. I thought the Force India sharkfin was the lowest it could get when I first seen it, but nah man. This McLaren could possibly be the ugliest Formula 1 car of the modern era. Yes, even worse than mid 90's poo poo teams like the MTV Europe sponsored Pacific or the :krad: Footwork Arrows.

I feel bad for this, but MTV sponsored Simtek.

Pacific were the team that thought it was a good aerodynamic idea to go from high to low nose between 1994 and 1995.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

MTV killed Roland.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
The thing that I find the most unappealing to the eye is that the rear wind sits lower than the shark fin and air box.

Also Lewis said following is harder in these cars. So less overtaking which we obviously had far too much of last year. :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
MCLRN LL TNK T SMLL. MCLRN R FCKD.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jesus christ, why the gently caress would you go from sport to the defense industry.

what a oval office.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What's this juicy red flag about I hope it's Alonso tears making the road surface unsafe for the other drivers.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JFairfax posted:

jesus christ, why the gently caress would you go from sport to the defense industry.

what a oval office.

To get his revenge on McLaren by bombing it.

Then probably strafing Bernie on the return flight

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What I find incredulous is that the shape of an oil tank and it's effect on oil scavenging is something so basic - literally this is something you think about when you're track prepping a production car w/r/t baffling it and poo poo. How does a f1 team not run fluid dynamic models on that?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last red flag: Stroll had a big spin with all that aero metal work attached, they assumed he was going to bin it into the wall and hit the button but he saved it.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Dudley posted:

I feel bad for this, but MTV sponsored Simtek.

Pacific were the team that thought it was a good aerodynamic idea to go from high to low nose between 1994 and 1995.

I don't think that was too bad an idea. After all, Ferrari lowered their nose for the 412T2 and Schumacher later said he could have fought for the title in that car. Besides, it can't have been as bad as an evolution of that bendy ex-Reynard they had in 1994.

I don't think any nose they could have gone with would have knocked the performance of the marvellous Deletraz.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7TdLeEGsQ

I think F1 needs invisible fire

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BubbaGrace posted:

I kinda liked the garish 90s F1 liveries. Maybe I pine for them after years of uninspired nothingness.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

This is a great move, can you imagine what World War II would have been like with Ron Dennis leading the Spitfire design team? It would be known as the "English Channel Kerfuffle" because we would have won it by 1940

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
This caption feels a little creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Better than "when Max was still in his dad's balls"

• Locked thread