Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, I remember that from the original announcement. Or maybe online shops like play asia? Anyway, it wasn't true so whatever.

But gently caress the PS4 cause I don't have one, keep making the games for vita.
No Banpresto, do not listen to this man.

The animations in Z3 and V are good but OGS2 and OGMD are a whole other world of awesome, because they didn't have to work on the Vita too.

edit: honestly I think Z3 and V's animations are a step down from Z2's in every way other than resolution. Which is to say Z2's are still pretty awesome on a big screen if you have a Vita TV.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm willing to "suffer" through slightly less awesome animations if it means I can play SRW on the go. The games are much more enjoyable played on a portable console anyway.

Also, isn't the lesser animation quality due in part to the budget being spent in part on licensing costs?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm willing to "suffer" through slightly less awesome animations if it means I can play SRW on the go. The games are much more enjoyable played on a portable console anyway.

Also, isn't the lesser animation quality due in part to the budget being spent in part on licensing costs?
Man I can't agree with you on that even one little bit. I want SRW on as big a screen as possible so I can fill my whole brain with robot goodness. When I got a Vita TV and could play Z2 on my TV properly for the first time I was blown away.

Possibly the licensing costs eat into it, since OG has always had better animations than anything else, but like I said I think Z2's are better than Z3's. I really think it's mostly about making high resolution animated sprite graphics for a platform with way less memory.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 28, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Also and especially that.

I'm just saying that the less Macross Frontier a game contains the better the franchise is. The worst ACE? The one with Macross Frontier. The best recent SRW? The one without Macross Frontier. It isn't a coincidence.

Well if they're going to continue this english trend, you'll never see macross again at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In other news, I'm listening to Z2 music on Z3's soundtrack right now and Wein's music (孤影の蒼玉) is definitely on my short list. It conveys how ambitious but frustrated and angry he is when he's the only high knight left alive/not defected. I never liked the Diamd though.

Man I loved Z2-2.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 28, 2017

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The next half dozen SRW games will no doubt have Macross Delta instead of Frontier. :suicide:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, there was absolutely no fanfare involved with the Danaan going to space this time, it was just like, of COURSE this submarine can operate in space too, and also no discussion about how it managed to get there, just that it took a lot of preparation. I love SRW.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

ImpAtom posted:

Also and especially that.

I'm just saying that the less Macross Frontier a game contains the better the franchise is. The worst ACE? The one with Macross Frontier. The best recent SRW? The one without Macross Frontier. It isn't a coincidence.

I was going to say that ACE R couldn't be worse than the psp one, but upon looking it up ACE Portable indeed had frontier in it. Everyone's a winner, or loser in this case.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha, there was absolutely no fanfare involved with the Danaan going to space this time, it was just like, of COURSE this submarine can operate in space too, and also no discussion about how it managed to get there, just that it took a lot of preparation. I love SRW.

It gets even better. Just wait.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Samurai Sanders posted:

It has Space rank A the very first time it shows up, so that checks out.

(I made sure to look when I first saw it, because I was curious.)

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

While some attacks (like the Grungust's Boost Knuckle) are lacking in impact compared to similar animations in OGMD, I have found myself enjoying how quickly the average attack-and-counter goes in V by comparison. I'm sure that'll change when I'm further in and have the resources to spam final attacks and what-were-final-attacks-but-now-there-are-bigger-ones, but it's got me out of the OG habit of turning off animations for most of the enemy turn.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Samurai Sanders posted:

No Banpresto, do not listen to this man.

The animations in Z3 and V are good but OGS2 and OGMD are a whole other world of awesome, because they didn't have to work on the Vita too.

edit: honestly I think Z3 and V's animations are a step down from Z2's in every way other than resolution. Which is to say Z2's are still pretty awesome on a big screen if you have a Vita TV.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man I can't agree with you on that even one little bit. I want SRW on as big a screen as possible so I can fill my whole brain with robot goodness. When I got a Vita TV and could play Z2 on my TV properly for the first time I was blown away.

Possibly the licensing costs eat into it, since OG has always had better animations than anything else, but like I said I think Z2's are better than Z3's. I really think it's mostly about making high resolution animated sprite graphics for a platform with way less memory.

*sticks his fingers in his ears* LA LA LA VITA IS LIFE LA LA LA

Stop putting down my precious Vita!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Well if they're going to continue this english trend, you'll never see macross again at least.

B-but I really want Delta in a game :smith:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, I just looked at the glossary of abilities ingame and the Gravity Wave Antenna item fully refreshes EN every turn? Is that right? Does it have a will requirement or something?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

B-but I really want Delta in a game :smith:

I've never seen it but I'm using some of the score for several of my units. Immelman Dance syncs up really well with Vangrey, especially its fourth attack.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Ok, I just looked at the glossary of abilities ingame and the Gravity Wave Antenna item fully refreshes EN every turn? Is that right? Does it have a will requirement or something?

I've never seen it but I'm using some of the score for several of my units. Immelman Dance syncs up really well with Vangrey, especially its fourth attack.

No. It's just a normal thing tied to the Nadesico and Nadesico units. They're usually designed based around having it anyway.

What makes it bizarre in this game is the ability to give it to other units.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The really bizarre thing is that Evas don't get full regen when they're plugged in, and they don't have to worry about the length of the cord, either.

I should note that GWA only provides regen if you field the Nadesico. You have to use the factory regen item if you want it all the time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Broken Loose posted:

The really bizarre thing is that Evas don't get full regen when they're plugged in, and they don't have to worry about the length of the cord, either.

I should note that GWA only provides regen if you field the Nadesico. You have to use the factory regen item if you want it all the time.

To be fair, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't field the Nadesico. You get like 3 ship slots anyway.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Supremezero posted:

To be fair, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't field the Nadesico. You get like 3 ship slots anyway.

Route splits.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Supremezero posted:

No. It's just a normal thing tied to the Nadesico and Nadesico units. They're usually designed based around having it anyway.

What makes it bizarre in this game is the ability to give it to other units.

Well that's incredible. I guess Mightgaine will get my one item since I can just spam his top attack over and over again. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Daler Mehndi posted:

The next half dozen SRW games will no doubt have Macross Delta instead of Frontier. :suicide:
at least macross delta lets the actually likable characters get into mechs sometimes, unlike frontier

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So every time I try to use Freedom and Justice's METEOR attacks, I get a "total attacking enemies" error.

What does that even mean?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Supremezero posted:

So every time I try to use Freedom and Justice's METEOR attacks, I get a "total attacking enemies" error.

Not sure off-hand; you do have the Eternal on the field, right?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I believe that is a badly mistranslated 'insufficient Will/Focus' statement.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

at least macross delta lets the actually likable characters get into mechs sometimes, unlike frontier

I'm never not fielding Mirage and the best jellyfish-snacking old man pilot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Yeah but you get like 6 ships and not deploying Shin Getter and Yamato is not up for debate.

RoyalScion posted:

Finished the 2nd playthrough, one short of platinum emblem because I'm stupid and didn't finish the first SR point and missed some other crappy one in the middle because I overkilled too much :suicide: .

True ending is a lot more satisfying than the normal ending though; probably try to eke in another playthrough around Nier: Automata.

Probably one of my more favorite SRWs; although I kind of wish that it wasn't split on Vita since the compromises made (compared to like OG MD) are pretty obvious.

Wish there was a bit more flexibility in moving pilots around too, sucks that a lot of minor characters gets stuck with nothing but grunt suits.

What's the difference between True and Normal? I suspect I got True on my first playthrough but am not 100% sure.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Not sure about story differences, but True Ending is unlocked if you have 25 or more Ace Pilots by Stage 49. Later, when given a choice, choose 'We still have an arduous journey ahead'. The other option is the 'Normal' ending path, AFAIK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Not sure about story differences, but True Ending is unlocked if you have 25 or more Ace Pilots by Stage 49. Later, when given a choice, choose 'We still have an arduous journey ahead'. The other option is the 'Normal' ending path, AFAIK.

Weird, I have 25 and wasn't given a choice. I'm pretty sure I got the true ending though since the plot revolves around Nine's ace conversations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh, then the choice is probably a NG+ thing like major route splits in the Z games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Oh, then the choice is probably a NG+ thing like major route splits in the Z games.

Yeah, that'd make sense.

KoB
May 1, 2009
SRW V is really good but theres not a single OG song I care for here.

Supremezero posted:

Its a badly translated "The other unit doesnt meet the requirements" error.

Either they dont have the EN or Focus or something.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I am 99.9% certain Macross will never show up in another SRW that they ever plan to release outside of Japan because its easier to just not do it than try and deal with Harmony Gold, no matter how shaky the ground they'e on is.

According to someone playing the Chinese text version the same SR points are mistranslated so it looks like they just changed some SR points and didn't tell the translation teams. The quality of translation including changing things to Chinese idioms like they did for English is also the same though, so thats good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I am 99.9% certain Macross will never show up in another SRW that they ever plan to release outside of Japan because its easier to just not do it than try and deal with Harmony Gold, no matter how shaky the ground they'e on is.

According to someone playing the Chinese text version the same SR points are mistranslated so it looks like they just changed some SR points and didn't tell the translation teams. The quality of translation including changing things to Chinese idioms like they did for English is also the same though, so thats good.

Oh, that would make sense if it was a case of them working off older scripts. It doesn't explain some things but I've seen that happen in English translations too, the just usually get caught by the editor during a later sweep and I imagine this game's editor was overworked as poo poo.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, that would make sense if it was a case of them working off older scripts. It doesn't explain some things but I've seen that happen in English translations too, the just usually get caught by the editor during a later sweep and I imagine this game's editor was overworked as poo poo.

Yeah I've seen a few things that are definitely just a mistake missed by an editor. Stuff like "the" in the wrong place "now" instead of "know" and other small things that if you just read it quick enough your brain fills in most of them anyway.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but you get like 6 ships and not deploying Shin Getter and Yamato is not up for debate.

What's the difference between True and Normal? I suspect I got True on my first playthrough but am not 100% sure.

Guess the easiest way to tell is if you fought like 20 some Nevalinna at the last mission?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm never not fielding Mirage and the best jellyfish-snacking old man pilot.
:same:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Crazy idea I had on the bus: L'Incal in a SRW.

Now I'm sad I'll never have the Metabaron as the ultimate shitwrecker. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Crazy idea I had on the bus: L'Incal in a SRW.

Now I'm sad I'll never have the Metabaron as the ultimate shitwrecker. :smith:

I somehow think that claiming there are no rules against having an invincible body would matter much to a super robot.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Macross Delta good? The series premise sounded like Babby's First Anime to me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I somehow think that claiming there are no rules against having an invincible body would matter much to a super robot.

Well yeah, break the unbreakable and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Finally got the upgraded VangRay. Hell yes.

choose power, baby

• Locked thread