Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007

BlameSpacePod posted:

Thanks for the reply. I was just kinda curious how to make the TJ Hooker one better. I do think the first episode wasn't as good as it could be. A lot of nervous cursing and a bit meandering. We're using a lot more show clips in the newer episodes. Nothing tops WHM and having 3+ people, you are right. I am trying to make the best possible product for you, the listener. It's a learning curve with anything.

BIOOS I get not getting into it, honestly, I hated making the show most of the time. WHM and Hooker have been a fun breeze to produce. Sorry if I weirded you out by replying, I'm just a glutton for punishment. It's also a bummer to look for mentions of a show online and find the majority of them to be negative. Makes you wonder. Makes me doubt what I bring to the table even on WHM.

assuming this is Eric. I skip WHM episodes you are not on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Sure it's early and it's still in the process of finding it's well oiled groove, but I am enjoying Hooked on TJ Hooker. Eagerly awaiting the continued butcher knife crimes in Los Santos

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

djnkro posted:

assuming this is Eric. I skip WHM episodes you are not on.

me too

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

BlameSpacePod posted:

It's also a bummer to look for mentions of a show online and find the majority of them to be negative. Makes you wonder. Makes me doubt what I bring to the table even on WHM.

Yeah, that's gotta be a lovely feeling. I think it's actually best to just make the show you want to make and try to avoid the endless internet opinions. You know if something's working or not and it's good that you're always trying different ways to make it work.

And dude, the only reason we're even talking about your shows is that people like you enough on WHM to give your other projects a chance. Also, I remember you were talking about doing BIOOS to improve as a comedic performer and I just recently was thinking that I actually have noticed a change over time. Not that you were ever bad - but I do think you've gotten funnier.

P.S. I definitely vote more slash on the Nexus. Laughing at horrible internet things goes hand in hand ideologically with laughing at horrible movies (and horrible TNG episodes).

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

powerful sex moves posted:

P.S. I definitely vote more slash on the Nexus. Laughing at horrible internet things goes hand in hand ideologically with laughing at horrible movies (and horrible TNG episodes).

Please send me a TOS era Slash to read! WeAllHateMovies @ Gmail.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Eric, are you sure you know what you're getting into with that request? That Nexus episode where you read the Data slashfic is as funny as it is horrifying.

EDIT

And I'm sure there's far worse stuff out there, in the Deep Web

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Just chiming in to say that I'm really enjoying hooked on hooker so far. Keep up the good work.

Didn't like BIOOS but I don't have a fondness for conspiracy theories outside of making fun of either Jesse Ventura or Alex Jones.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I wasn't much into BIOOS but Eric for sure brings a ton to WHM and the Hooker thing seems interesting. I'd for sure chalk it up to the show itself not working well than either of the personalities.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Inkspot posted:

Rewatchability.

Hey, this is really good! And very Canadian.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

credburn posted:

I really want to enjoy the Bad Movie Fiends. They have like 360 episodes and almost all of them are really bizarre made for television movies or just movies I haven't heard of. The problem is that despite their organization, movie choices, design and presentation, they have the kind of chemistry and flow I'd expect out of socially retarded D&D nerds being exposed to light for the first time. The show is run by Autistic Kid, Unfunny Tom Servo and Quiet Guy. And Unfunny Tom Servo gets loving defensive as poo poo ALL THE TIME. He'll say something, like, say, "...this movie is where Nicolas Cage grabs the girl's butt and his eyes get huge" and they correct him and say, "Actually, you're thinking of Face/Off." He responds: "Well, he does it here, too." No he doesn't, you overly sensitive dweeb. Just accept you were wrong and move on. You can't have a freeflowing podcast when one guy thinks the other two are trying to one-up him or something. And they also call it the BAMFCAST. Since BMF (Bad Movie Fiends) is reduced to "BMF" which kinda looks like "BaMF" they use that, but I know BAMF as Bad rear end Mother Fucker from Pulp Fiction, which is a designation they have hardly earned.

I listened to twenty episodes hoping they'd just find their stride but then I listened to something like their 300th episode and it's just as awkward.

I pretty much just listen to the Flophouse and We Hate Movies. I wish there were more with such great chemistry. I sometimes like Now Playing but those hosts are often a bit...again, defensive, and bigoted at times. Are there any other movie podcasts (good or bad) where the hosts have good chemistry?

I've always been curious about this podcast since I enjoy one of the host's yearly Halloween reviews he does on YouTube. It's a shame it sucks.

Other than listening to WHM and HDTGM, I think goon created Movie Mastery is pretty good one even if most of the movies they watch are super obscure.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Conversely, I really enjoy BMFcast :) I find that it's a nice podcast for the chill times, and I actually like the "awkward friends chatting around the DnD table" feel. My favorite episodes are for Roar, xXx State of the Union, Man's Best Friend, Foodfight, most of the blaxsploitation episodes, and anything from their continued fascination with the _______ Buddies puppy-centric movies. I can totally see it not being everyone's thing, but I find that even their nerdy pedantic bickering charms me :allears:

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

BlameSpacePod posted:

It's also a bummer to look for mentions of a show online and find the majority of them to be negative. Makes you wonder. Makes me doubt what I bring to the table even on WHM.

You're my fav on the show for what it's worth. I thought you provided a good balance during the sixth season when you seemed to be on more episodes when Chris was away.

2 questions for you.

1) are you a history buff or did you ever study it? You make references every now and again to make me think you have at least a passing interest

2) Would you read Wesley Crusher: Teenage gently caress Machine on the Nexus?

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

The Gillman posted:

You're my fav on the show for what it's worth. I thought you provided a good balance during the sixth season when you seemed to be on more episodes when Chris was away.

2 questions for you.

1) are you a history buff or did you ever study it? You make references every now and again to make me think you have at least a passing interest

2) Would you read Wesley Crusher: Teenage gently caress Machine on the Nexus?

1) Yeah, I have a minor in History I got while receiving my degree in Cinema Studies. My family were immigrant refugees in the early 1950's so I was always fascinated by WW1 and 2, through the evolution of modern Europe.
2) Absolutely!!!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BlameSpacePod posted:

2) Absolutely!!!
Oh poo poo I cannot wait

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Evil Vin posted:

Other than listening to WHM and HDTGM, I think goon created Movie Mastery is pretty good one even if most of the movies they watch are super obscure.

We switched formats so half our films are stuff that's currently in theaters, voted on by listeners, so we do some well known stuff too. We just did 50 Shades Darker, which was the worst.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I wish I could enjoy HDTGM and WHM but every time I listen it all just seems kinda...cynical? Like it has a meaner bent and it doesn't seem so much as something everyone on the show is really having fun with

tbh I'd sacrifice both for weekly flop house. I listen to every episode twice, I don't skip the songs. It gives me life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

We switched formats so half our films are stuff that's currently in theaters, voted on by listeners, so we do some well known stuff too. We just did 50 Shades Darker, which was the worst.

Yo, your show is good. You should do it once a week.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Farg posted:

I wish I could enjoy HDTGM and WHM but every time I listen it all just seems kinda...cynical? Like it has a meaner bent and it doesn't seem so much as something everyone on the show is really having fun with

tbh I'd sacrifice both for weekly flop house. I listen to every episode twice, I don't skip the songs. It gives me life.

I listen to all of them, so I like to switch it up based on what mood I'm in. Lately my mood has been stressed as hell, so Flophouse is great because they're always having a good time even when the movie is horrible and bewildering. The Last Witch Hunter, Foodfight, and Fateful Findings episodes had me losing my poo poo. It's a shame, though, that all the experience and film knowledge of the hosts on these bad movie podcasts are wasted on bad movies; or worse: boringly bad movies.

Thanks again to the poster who recommended Black on Black Cinema ... like two years ago? The tone flip-flops between serious discussion and casual jokey nonsense every episode, and the film quality varies tremendously. I wish more film podcasts were formatted this way.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Also flop house is having a comic book series for charity or something?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Yo, your show is good. You should do it once a week.

Technically they do, as long as you enjoy listening to reviews of out of print roleplaying games one week, listener questions the next week along with a retrospective on the prior week's rpg (Afterthoughts are amazing) along with the biweekly movie discussions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Victorkm posted:

Technically they do, as long as you enjoy listening to reviews of out of print roleplaying games one week, listener questions the next week along with a retrospective on the prior week's rpg (Afterthoughts are amazing) along with the biweekly movie discussions.

Uh huh ......yeah that sounds fasci:tootzzz:

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
It's not really related to movies, but the "Origin Stories" episode that was released on HDTGM was loving nuts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't mind the HDTGM live shows like most people seem to, but I do think it's weird when there will be an episode with just Paul and neither Jason nor June.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

SoupyTwist posted:

It's not really related to movies, but the "Origin Stories" episode that was released on HDTGM was loving nuts.
Holy poo poo, came here to post this exact thing. loving pro-click, and there needs to be a movie about the making of the mob movie like yesterday.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sadly, it is what keeps us from doing more movie episodes. We have way more listeners on the RPG review side.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 4, 2017

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

My biggest problem with WHM was always the impressions. I don't know if its still happening but by the stage I unsubsribed it felt like half to two thirds of the episode was nothing but stoner humor levels of bad impressions and people laughing at them.

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Not Head Brain of the Hobosphere

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't mind the HDTGM live shows like most people seem to, but I do think it's weird when there will be an episode with just Paul and neither Jason nor June.

I have never listened to a prequel episode and I have no intention to start.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Tornhelm posted:

My biggest problem with WHM was always the impressions. I don't know if its still happening but by the stage I unsubsribed it felt like half to two thirds of the episode was nothing but stoner humor levels of bad impressions and people laughing at them.

I can see this getting on someone's nerves, but WHM wins me over because...I don't know if they're good, per se, but they strike the right chord with me. I normally get annoyed with impressions.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

credburn posted:

I can see this getting on someone's nerves, but WHM wins me over because...I don't know if they're good, per se, but they strike the right chord with me. I normally get annoyed with impressions.

See this most recent Tango and Cash episode, for example

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I usually enjoy their impressions but most of their annoying or just unfunny ones imo have been all of the presidential ones. Look, I don't like the guy either but the world doesn't need any more hacky Trump impressions, particularly when they're used to pick the lowest possible hanging fruit (like pee jokes that make me cringe because - while I know they said they basically don't care if it's true or not - the 1000 jokes about it sort of ring hollow when you know for a fact it's based on a 4chan troll). Presidential impressions in general have a tendency to be hacky, I think.

I missed the conversation earlier, but it looks like I'm not the only one who just wants a break from political stuff in general. I listen to comedy podcasts (and particularly bad movie podcasts) for light escapist fun. I'm not listening for constant reminders of how lovely Steve Bannon is.

Hopefully it will pass soon. (And lol at whoever said that they're politically neutral and don't state their personal opinions).

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's kind of weird how negative the WHM guys are. It sounded like they had zero fun watching Tango and Cash. That movie is a fantastic turd.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

like pee jokes that make me cringe because - while I know they said they basically don't care if it's true or not - the 1000 jokes about it sort of ring hollow when you know for a fact it's based on a 4chan troll

http://gizmodo.com/4chan-idiots-claim-they-invented-the-trump-piss-report-1791067589'

Trump paid those hookers to piss on him

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

lol okay, whatever, I hadn't heard anything further on it and I'd like to believe it, so sure, he paid for golden showers. I still maintain the right to be tired of the jokes though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
there will probably never be any real evidence to support it but you can be 100% sure that donald trump wallows in hooker pee on the reg. It's as plain as day.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You sound like you're yucking that guy's yum.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

theironjef posted:

Sadly, it is what keeps us from doing more movie episodes. We have way more listeners on the RPG review side.

I'm already looking forward to the Star Wars Expanded Universe book reviews. I could pretty much listen to you two talk about anything as long as you all stay as funny as you have always been.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

I usually enjoy their impressions but most of their annoying or just unfunny ones imo have been all of the presidential ones. Look, I don't like the guy either but the world doesn't need any more hacky Trump impressions, particularly when they're used to pick the lowest possible hanging fruit (like pee jokes that make me cringe because - while I know they said they basically don't care if it's true or not - the 1000 jokes about it sort of ring hollow when you know for a fact it's based on a 4chan troll). Presidential impressions in general have a tendency to be hacky, I think.

I missed the conversation earlier, but it looks like I'm not the only one who just wants a break from political stuff in general. I listen to comedy podcasts (and particularly bad movie podcasts) for light escapist fun. I'm not listening for constant reminders of how lovely Steve Bannon is.

Hopefully it will pass soon. (And lol at whoever said that they're politically neutral and don't state their personal opinions).

Their George HW Bush one is fantastic though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CountFosco posted:

Their George HW Bush one is fantastic though.

I mean that's because they took it from Dana Carvey back when he was good

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

CountFosco posted:

Their Bill Clinton one is fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean that's because they took it from Dana Carvey back when he was good

Yeah, that's what it is - the presidential impressions remind me of SNL too much. Which isn't necessarily bad but they ran every presidential impression into the ground just naturally due to the fact that presidents are around for 4-8 years.

Good show today, btw.