Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

As someone who wasn't watching the trial back the (or the miniseries), what did he do?

Basically, he was the lead detective and by all accounts acted okay, didn't do anything terribly hosed up. Goes on the stand, all is good. I believe he's asked "have you ever said the N word" or something to that effect. He says no.

It later comes out that he's provided background research for someone writing a book. His story is that he recorded these racist tirades and stories about fabricating evidence and dropping N bombs left and right in order to provide an accurate portrayal of a racist cop. Other people think that it's because he actually just is a horrible racist cop. The Miniseries portrays it as more likely being the former, the TV show puts it in the latter category.

Anyway, he gets charged with perjury because he clearly lied on the stand about saying the N word. He also gets recalled to the stand in the OJ trial and starts taking the fifth. Defence asks him "did you plant evidence in the OJ investigation" he pleads the fifth and it looks shady as all loving hell.

His argument is when you take the fifth you answer all questions that way you can't pick and choose. I'm not a US lawyer so I don't know the validity of that. Other people suggest he should have said "hell loving no I did not plant evidence in this case" and then return to taking the fifth on everything else.

At least, that's my rough understanding of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is also on record saying that an earlier riot made him hate black people but he claimed he got better

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBCSN has actually managed to add subscribers

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The hosed up thing that I felt after seeing the documentary and also the FX show is I think Mark Fuhrman was a trouble man who also harbored a lot of racist feelings, was racist, and acted on those heinous feelings.

I also think he was probably a pretty good detective and that he is telling the truth about what he did during the early hours after the murder and his initial on site peeking around.

Made In America was a stellar documentary and it's length is it's greatest asset. I honestly wished it was long when I finally finished it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's probably impossible to cover absolutely everything in the OJ story. There are just so many branching stories and so many layers to everything, it's wild

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My favorite part is the sports memorabilia thing that finally did him in because it's basically a Coen Brothers movie.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

My favorite part is the sports memorabilia thing that finally did him in because it's basically a Coen Brothers movie.

Yeah and how you kinda feel sorry for him getting reemed by the NV courts so badly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

It's probably impossible to cover absolutely everything in the OJ story. There are just so many branching stories and so many layers to everything, it's wild
You don't think 8 hours was enough? :crossarms:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

You don't think 8 hours was enough? :crossarms:

oh poo poo 8 hours was plenty but man you could do super deep dives into so many people surrounding that case if you wanted to

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I loved how awful and sleezy those guys were.

"Am I a rat? No. Well I mean, yeah I'm a rat. If being a rat could bring world peace I'll be a rat. So yes I'm a rat!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

algebra testes posted:

His argument is when you take the fifth you answer all questions that way you can't pick and choose. I'm not a US lawyer so I don't know the validity of that. Other people suggest he should have said "hell loving no I did not plant evidence in this case" and then return to taking the fifth on everything else.

He's wrong. The defendant cannot pick and choose which questions to plead the fifth to. A witness can.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

He's wrong. The defendant cannot pick and choose which questions to plead the fifth to. A witness can.

Uhm... how is a defendant not able to but a witness can?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Random Mark Fuhrman fact: He parlayed his newfound fame (infamy???) from the OJ Trial into a side job as a "Paranormal Investigator". Maybe he just ran around yelling racial slurs in graveyards idk

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

iospace posted:

Uhm... how is a defendant not able to but a witness can?

Defendants can't be forced to testify in a trial per the fifth amendment, but witnesses can be forced through subpoena. It's generally assumed that if a defendant chooses to testify, they waive their fifth amendment rights and have to answer all questions truthfully. They have the same rights, but they are exercised at different points in the trial.

The OJ stuff is fascinating because I was old enough to remember it happening and the major events but young enough to not understand the full details and I loved the Naked Gun. I've been on a big kick of watching/reading about these kind of things and it's amazing. The 30 for 30 about the Duke lacrosse team was very well done because I remembered so much about them being assumed guilty but very little about the conclusion.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 28, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schremp Howard posted:

Defendants can't be forced to testify in a trial per the fifth amendment, but witnesses can be forced through subpoena. It's generally assumed that if a defendant chooses to testify, they waive their fifth amendment rights and have to answer all questions truthfully. They have the same rights, but they are exercised at different points in the trial.

The OJ stuff is fascinating because I was old enough to remember it happening and the major events but young enough to not understand the full details and I loved the Naked Gun. I've been on a big kick of watching/reading about these kind of things and it's amazing. The 30 for 30 about the Duke lacrosse team was very well done because I remembered so much about them being assumed guilty but very little about the conclusion.

That makes sense then.

And yeah, 30 for 30 can pull out some really good ones, and at times, it can feel like a bit more higher profile Outside the Lines in what it covers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN is looking to pull Katie Nolan away from FS1 again

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

One possibility McCarthy mentions for Nolan moving to ESPN would be putting her with ESPN Radio host Mike Greenberg who is on the verge of having his own morning TV show on the Mothership.

No, poo poo, no

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

One possibility McCarthy mentions for Nolan moving to ESPN would be putting her with ESPN Radio host Mike Greenberg who is on the verge of having his own morning TV show on the Mothership.

No, poo poo, no

Yeah that sounds like a horrible idea.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Give me a Kenny Mayne-Katie Nolan show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Put her on the LeBatard Show

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FlamingLiberal posted:

Put her on the LeBatard Show

Nah, put her on HQ with Bomani, LeBatard, and Papi.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5wqhkZU4AEUWIx.jpg

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahaha what caused this?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DJExile posted:

hahahahaha what caused this?

Here's the full thread
https://twitter.com/JasonKander/status/836577860055871489

Kander took exception to Trump saying "our soldiers don't fight to win" and Schilling didn't have the good sense to keep quiet, of course.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

That's delicious.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

youtube announed their streaming tv service

espn is included but not the turner channels

https://twitter.com/PhillyD/status/836682357184737280

i wonder how the existing services are doing

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't know how it is doing financially, but I'm a huge fan of PlayStation Vue.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For some content, Vue offers more sports channels for the same price and allows for five simultaneous connections (YouTube allows 3). However, Vue's DVR is limited to 28 days while YouTube's is unlimited.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vertical Lime posted:

youtube announed their streaming tv service

espn is included but not the turner channels

https://twitter.com/PhillyD/status/836682357184737280

i wonder how the existing services are doing

This is a better deal than DirecTV, but I feel like if you are bundling this with cable internet you can probably get more channels through cable for $35.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rick posted:

This is a better deal than DirecTV, but I feel like if you are bundling this with cable internet you can probably get more channels through cable for $35.

Agreed, that's the rate I'm on now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

AsInHowe posted:

Agreed, that's the rate I'm on now.

Yeah but if you're splitting this Youtube thing with 6 friends its a really really good deal!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was thinking about this some more, and she really should've been the host of Any Given Wednesday not Simmons. But I'm not sure that style of show works on ESPN, certainly didn't on FS1 considering they've cancelled Garbage Time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Congrats Canucks

https://twitter.com/simmonssteve/status/836955247457275905

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Their interview was goddamn hilarious

http://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/must-see-jay-and-dan-are-returning-to-tsn~1067573

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They "cancelled" it in that she's going to have a new show that airs way more.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This seemed inevitable:

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/03/05/espn-sunday-nfl-countdown-replacement-chris-berman-sam-ponder?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

quote:

During my career at Sports Illustrated I’ve seen many layoffs at our company. There are few things more gutting and demoralizing to see great people leave your organization. I report the following joylessly:

SI has learned that ESPN will have significant cost-cutting over the next four months on its talent side (people in front of the camera or audio/digital screen). Multiple sources said ESPN has been tasked with paring tens of millions of staff salary from its payroll, including staffers many viewers and readers will recognize. Those with contracts coming up would be particularly vulnerable, sources said. The company is also expected to buyout some existing contracts, which is something rare for ESPN historically beyond a few NFL talents. The cuts are expected to be completed by June. Sources within ESPN say that there is no set list of names yet and stressed that behind-the-scenes people will likely (key word) not be impacted by these cuts.

Last month Reuters reported Disney had a lower-than-expected quarterly revenue, hurt by the drop in advertising revenue at ESPN. In addition, ESPN continues to shed subscribers at an enhanced rate, down to 88.4 million households in Dec. 2016. That number was 100.002 million in Feb. 2011.

Though it remains one of the great destination jobs in the sports media and hiring will continue, ESPN has experienced significant layoffs over the last two years. In Oct. 2015 the company laid off roughly 300 employees, many who had spent their entire professional careers at ESPN. Sports Business Daily media writer John Ourand, in this piece on those layoffs, examined the skyrocketing rights fees and deep distribution cuts that led to those layoffs.

On Sunday when contacted by SI.com, an ESPN spokesperson provided the following statement: "We have long been about serving fans and innovating to create the best content for them. Today's fans consume content in many different ways and we are in a continuous process of adapting to change and improving what we do. Inevitably that has consequences for how we utilize our talent. We are confident that ESPN will continue to have a roster of talent that is unequaled in sports."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I'm gonna hoot and holler when they shitcan Rovell and replace him with someone RTing press releases from apparel companies

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Maliciously hoping Barnwell gets let go so he can go rejoin Mays at the Ringer.

But really, just cutting the chaff from Monday Night Countdown could probably makeup a sizable chunk of those cuts.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm gonna hoot and holler when they shitcan Rovell and replace him with someone RTing press releases from apparel companies

Everyone better mention the free market to him that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Rovell will be replaced by a bot and he will retweet it constantly and we will never know which one is which.

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 6, 2017