Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of people think there's one weird trick to affordable sustainable ethical eco-friendly construction that BIG DEVELOPERS don't want you to know about. They want to feel smug and superior that they've totally disrupted the industry with their container house or pallet house. But in all those cases if you want the same quality of a house as "construction orthodoxy" provides you end up spending more for a shittier product, or end up living in something that falls apart or molds or leaks.

We've built up our construction methods and building codes over centuries of trial and error. There's certainly room for creative thinking and better solutions, maybe even giving people a little more freedom and leeway, but for the most part all the rules in building codes are there for a reason and straying from them will lead to horrible results.

Also I love the goal post moving with "alternative" construction:
"We're going to use containers and reclaimed pallet wood and rammed earth to make a sustainable house that's cheaper and better than what big-construction would put up!!"
"Man it sure was expensive insulating those containers, and we had to get all new pallet wood because our previous was toxic (omg why do corporations put toxins in pallets? Is it so we can't build homes??) but even though this is costing more it's worth it because our home will be sustainable and great"
"Ok well it turns out even with the hay insulation these salvaged single-pane windows and pallet-wood doors don't insulate very well, it's going to be expensive heating this house but we'll just wear sweaters! Our house is super unique though"
"Ok my house was more expensive, is lovely, is already falling apart, but god drat does everyone know me and my family are innovative free-thinkers!"

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 27, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hello darkness my mold friend

I've come to caulk with you again

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's important to clearly label your toilet connectors.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

:perfect:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Didn't go with dampness?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The least stupid idea from Dahir Insaat. It's still stupid, but it's the least stupid.

what's the most stupid?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

what's the most stupid?

Qwijib0 posted:

what's the most stupid?

This has my vote - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4qKt6Wr5w

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Qwijib0 posted:

what's the most stupid?

The meta-idea of Dahir Insaat itself. With the drive-through car grocery store in a close second, but possibly tied for that position with the suitcase tank missile launcher.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

:golfclap:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The road laying machine will always have a special place in my heart because it requires a steady stream of supplies that are transported along the road it lays. There's a loop between a - presumably - stationary supply point and a target that keeps increasing distance to that point. You'd either have to keep adding trucks to the loop, at which point they become another resource to be transported from A to B, or they would have to drive faster and faster as the machine chugs along.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The plane that can detach the wings and cockpit to turn into a survival capsule with an airframe parachute is my favourite in terms of it being impossible to engineer/stupid. The massive drive-through supermarket wins for sheer stupid though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's also the heavy goods transport quadcopter that receives its power through long cables from humungous generators carried on two trucks, so it can only ever fly above roads, and that goes through a complicated dis-/reconnection protocol whenever they get to a bridge.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

If you want to see the picture of efficiency, cruise ship galleys are pretty incredible. Preparing fancy meals for 3,000 people in 2 hours is pretty amazing. Moving sidewalks, one-way foot traffic, escalators, digital ordering/paging. It's a real neat arrangement.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's also the heavy goods transport quadcopter that receives its power through long cables from humungous generators carried on two trucks, so it can only ever fly above roads, and that goes through a complicated dis-/reconnection protocol whenever they get to a bridge.

Can you link this? It sounds amazing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf34o2oL85g

imagine seeing this from a distance and realizing you'll have to drive under it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bad Munki posted:

The meta-idea of Dahir Insaat itself. With the drive-through car grocery store in a close second, but possibly tied for that position with the suitcase tank missile launcher.

No way, it's absolutely the artery drill. Followed by the chain-gun quadcopter made from semis.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

My Lovely Horse posted:

imagine seeing this from a distance and realizing you'll have to drive under it.

:/ Soooo where is the gas for those massive generators or is this just the simple solution to get huge rear end things OVER bridges?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Screaming here!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Speaking of Dahir Insaat, this is fitting for the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGVqZX4o0w

Also, you gotta watch the Russian version of the artery declogger for its intense and repetitive music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bygPK0x1M78

[Edit] loving lol, it's like the sawdust house but even more absurd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYCAc1fPnM

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 28, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

~Coxy posted:

(It's the three months it takes western power to install your meter lol)

For us it was waiting for the final inspection from the city to estimate taxes. We had already moved in two months earlier.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people think there's one weird trick to affordable sustainable ethical eco-friendly construction that BIG DEVELOPERS don't want you to know about. They want to feel smug and superior that they've totally disrupted the industry with their container house or pallet house. But in all those cases if you want the same quality of a house as "construction orthodoxy" provides you end up spending more for a shittier product, or end up living in something that falls apart or molds or leaks.

We've built up our construction methods and building codes over centuries of trial and error. There's certainly room for creative thinking and better solutions, maybe even giving people a little more freedom and leeway, but for the most part all the rules in building codes are there for a reason and straying from them will lead to horrible results.

Also I love the goal post moving with "alternative" construction:
"We're going to use containers and reclaimed pallet wood and rammed earth to make a sustainable house that's cheaper and better than what big-construction would put up!!"
"Man it sure was expensive insulating those containers, and we had to get all new pallet wood because our previous was toxic (omg why do corporations put toxins in pallets? Is it so we can't build homes??) but even though this is costing more it's worth it because our home will be sustainable and great"
"Ok well it turns out even with the hay insulation these salvaged single-pane windows and pallet-wood doors don't insulate very well, it's going to be expensive heating this house but we'll just wear sweaters! Our house is super unique though"
"Ok my house was more expensive, is lovely, is already falling apart, but god drat does everyone know me and my family are innovative free-thinkers!"

I feel like there's a system where designers and such are presented with a problem like "we produce a lot of stuff just to facilitate the transport of other stuff. Maybe we could figure out something to do with it that isn't just a landfill" and they come up with ambitious ideas like housing or consumer goods, produce a sample and gin up a lot of attention for it. Soon all the reasons why that isn't done already are made apparent and the whole idea gets dropped on the venture capitalist scale, but Joe-schmo just remembers the upworthy video he saw and buys his own container unit to make a creepy bunker out of because the idea of shipping container= shelter has been permanently linked in his head

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Great news y'all!! Liddle BubbaBill herd from cousinsister Bessie-Lee bout dat tiny house movement! He gon back in dat dere gold pile hind the house with the tigger welder and rigged hisself up a bran new office outta granpappy's ol car port and Big Bubba's ol hay trailer he done roll outta th'ditch. He even got one of them winders offa auntie's trailer, she so high she aint never gonna notice. Bessie-Lee's gonna sell 'em on her itsy web page where she sells them bones an poo poo to dumb city folk, and liddle Jessie-Lee got his phone screen fixed and gonner put it on craig's list.

Hoo. My head hurts now. Anyhoo. I don't understand why people are dropping 2 grand on a raw shipping containers when 8 will get you one of those adorable little 12x30 lofted barn cabins.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 28, 2017

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

There is now a follow-up: GARAGE EDITION

https://imgur.com/gallery/7Cn8L

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My dad was in the army and got deployed to Panama during that whole Noriega thing. He's told stories about turning a blind eye to things like shipping crates and pallets going missing because impoverished Panamanians were using them to fix and even build houses. No one could bring themselves to poo poo on people so desperately poor that our trash was a godsend.

And now we live in an era where DIY lifehack upcycle goobers proudly post pics of the same sort of construction tacked haphazardly onto middle class homes.

God bless America.

Not just shipping crates and pallets - whole boxcars.

You see, there used to be a tax loophole where if you bought a single boxcar you qualified for a bunch of tax breaks. But since you just needed to own it, and didn't really need to be a real railroad, the dentists or lawyers or whatever just leased them out to a company for a little additional cash. Because nobody really gave a gently caress about tracking them, and thanks to the vagrancies of international trade, these unmonitored boxcars gradually all migrated south, eventually ending up in Panama and used for housing.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Katosabi posted:

I swear these pinterest people have a network to let them know where the free pallets are. It seems like they show up within 10-15 minutes of us throwing them out, and they end up taking them all, even the ones that are literally falling apart.

To be fair the slats may be poo poo but the cross braces are almost always maple or another decent-ish hardwood.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Great news y'all!! Liddle BubbaBill herd from cousinsister Bessie-Lee bout dat tiny house movement! He gon back in dat dere gold pile hind the house with the tigger welder and rigged hisself up a bran new office outta granpappy's ol car port and Big Bubba's ol hay trailer he done roll outta th'ditch. He even got one of them winders offa auntie's trailer, she so high she aint never gonna notice. Bessie-Lee's gonna sell 'em on her itsy web page where she sells them bones an poo poo to dumb city folk, and liddle Jessie-Lee got his phone screen fixed and gonner put it on craig's list.

Hoo. My head hurts now. Anyhoo. I don't understand why people are dropping 2 grand on a raw shipping containers when 8 will get you one of those adorable little 12x30 lofted barn cabins.

Metal Roof.

On a trailer.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fasdar posted:

Metal Roof.

On a trailer.

Also, the trailer doesn't have vinyl siding, it is vinyl siding.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Buff Skeleton posted:

Speaking of Dahir Insaat, this is fitting for the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGVqZX4o0w

Also, you gotta watch the Russian version of the artery declogger for its intense and repetitive music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bygPK0x1M78

[Edit] loving lol, it's like the sawdust house but even more absurd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYCAc1fPnM

All I can figure out is that Dahir Insaat is one of those inventor marketing companies. You give them a ton of money and rights to your invention and they promise to do their best to make you a bazillionaire with their mad marketing skills.

Yeah, that's all I got.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 28, 2017

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

~Coxy posted:

(It's the three months it takes western power to install your meter lol)

Ugh, after waiting about 5 weeks for a meter replacement for solar that "will happen within 3-5 days", I finally called them and asked what the hell was going on, they were like "hmm, I see the work order, but nothing has been done with it. I'll check on it and call you back". Of course, no callback, but meter magically replaced 2 days later.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Samizdata posted:

All I can figure out is that Dahir Insaat is one of those inventor marketing companies. You give them a ton of money and rights to your invention and they promise to do their best to make you a bazillionaire with their mad marketing skills.

Yeah, that's all I got.
I assumed they were a patent troll.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the general theory, but I have a friend who works at the patent office and she said a lot of Dahir Insaat's stuff would be tough to get a patent for, because technological feasibility is a factor in whether one is granted. Or something. It's been a while.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I assumed that he was some young guy in his bedroom who was really good at 3D software.

Basically, he's just made the animated version of the doodles I did in the back of my school books, only animated.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's the general theory, but I have a friend who works at the patent office and she said a lot of Dahir Insaat's stuff would be tough to get a patent for, because technological feasibility is a factor in whether one is granted. Or something. It's been a while.

That's one of the reasons Arthur C. Clarke didn't patent the idea of geostationary communications satellites. He's given a number of reasons he didn't do so over the years, but the first I read was something like this:

It was a novel idea in 1945 but his patent lawyer convinced him the patent would be rejected for being impossible with current rocket technology. Plus, he thought the patent would run out by the time rocketry had advanced enough: He didn't think we'd be launching sats until the 1990's.
By the time rockets were advanced enough to put a satellite into orbit the idea of using a geostationary satellite as a radio relay would be "obvious" and the patent would be rejected.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The one I find weirdest is the personal message to Vladimir Putin about how Dahir Insaat's technology could all work together to form the city of the future, solving all Russia's housing problems. It doesn't seem to fit in with any sane business strategy, which is why I'm going with this:

spog posted:

I assumed that he was some young guy in his bedroom who was really good at 3D software.

Basically, he's just made the animated version of the doodles I did in the back of my school books, only animated.

I was assuming teenage son of Russian billionaire, with daddy hiring him a team of 3D artists, but I suppose one really talented weirdo is also possible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm the massive IDE cables for power

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Retsupurae's Dahir Insaat mock videos were sheer gold, it's a shame they got C&D'ed. You can probably still find them out there but the original uploads are private now.

Death Bed is pretty amazing, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ8tuAoyT14

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Oh my god, Dahir Insaat is a sci-fi web-series, this explains everything!

quote:

The plot takes place in the distant future. The Earth, ravaged by the destructive nuclear wars of humans thousands of years in the past, has returned to its lush neutral self. However, the first long-term nuclear shelters have begun to unseal, and humans once again roam the planet.

The only surviving states are the Russian Federation, led by the reanimated mummy of Vladimir Putin, and the city of Istanbul, controlled by the Dahir Insaat corporation. Due to thousands of years of cultural funneling, American English is the only spoken language on the planet. Russia’s reemerging citizens leave Putin facing the biggest housing crisis in history. To capitalize on this, Dahir Insaat has created several pitches for capital addressed directly to Putin, claiming to solve the housing crisis by creating massive, elaborate planned cities.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Enourmo posted:

Retsupurae's Dahir Insaat mock videos were sheer gold, it's a shame they got C&D'ed. You can probably still find them out there but the original uploads are private now.
You can and very easily too, might be best not to link them though cause they seem pretty proactive and one or two mirrors also got hit already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Enourmo posted:

Death Bed is pretty amazing, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ8tuAoyT14

I searched through their channels about a month ago and was sad to see them gone, I really wanted to watch the one where they comment on the giant quadcopter drone that comes out of a truck trailer and destroys American jets on the runway