Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad to see that my Graisse buddy did so well in slaughtering the Boche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

And, well.

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 28, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

my dad posted:

PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING TO THE CENTRAL POWERS THREAD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvGcCK0o_o

You know how teutoburg forest is part of the German national myth?

Ask Tevery if he's going to be shouting "give me back my artillery" in the middle of the night. :v:

Hunt11 posted:

I am glad to see that my Graisse buddy did so well in slaughtering the Boche.

It looks like you survived? If so, congrats, job well done. I thank you.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 28, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trin, I think you left out a chit belonging to 97th brigade as well.

As penance for X's berserker fury, I think we can just pretend it did nothing of consequence and re-appear in the forest.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
woo!

that'll put the kibosh on the kaiser!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A good quote that sums up what just happened. "I suppose all he'll (The Boche Runner) report is that 4pouts is seized, and that somehow summoned an angry war god

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Initial chat consensus is:

A) Nocturnal zergrush on Quatreprouts with all units in area
B) Eastern trenches hold in place till dawn

Comments welcome.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
X tries to grab Faibleimpot.

New cav reserve tries a death or glory (probably death) attack on Croissant after taking Quatreprouts.

BEF can set up for a howitzer siege of Croissant at dawn.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We should shuffle the chits around in the east so that the infantry is ahead of the arty so that the enemy contacts them first. And then pull the infantry back just before dawn. Or we could try and push the trenches forward so that the enemy is in range ere the rising of the sun. I expect they will try the latter.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

night attack following the railroad so we don't get lost

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sullat posted:

We should shuffle the chits around in the east so that the infantry is ahead of the arty so that the enemy contacts them first. And then pull the infantry back just before dawn. Or we could try and push the trenches forward so that the enemy is in range ere the rising of the sun. I expect they will try the latter.

Does artillery count towards brigade losing morale checks? If it doesn't, then I actually prefer keeping it forward.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Do we want to try a night push on Baguette? Might set us up for the dawn assault on St C.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Does artillery count towards brigade losing morale checks? If it doesn't, then I actually prefer keeping it forward.

It does not. So you think the battle won't last longer than the night? If it lasts until daytime, the arty will once again rule the non-cavalry parts of the field.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sullat posted:

It does not. So you think the battle won't last longer than the night? If it lasts until daytime, the arty will once again rule the non-cavalry parts of the field.

The only circumstances in which I can imagine losing artillery also involve the enemy losing a lot of troops they can't replace

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Loel posted:

Do we want to try a night push on Baguette? Might set us up for the dawn assault on St C.

i definitely want to make sure the bois de baguette is clear

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

thatbastardken posted:

i definitely want to make sure the bois de baguette is clear

At dawn it would probably look something like this

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strategic overview: http://imgur.com/DIBCEvs :nws: due to crude dicks

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

thatbastardken posted:

strategic overview: http://imgur.com/DIBCEvs :nws: due to crude dicks

Not as bad as some of the maps of the last game :v:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

xthetenth posted:

You know how teutoburg forest is part of the German national myth?

Ask Tevery if he's going to be shouting "give me back my artillery" in the middle of the night. :v:

The theme for this turn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGx6K90TmCI

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING TO THE CENTRAL POWERS THREAD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvGcCK0o_o

Good work. I am following this thread mydad.

Is your cavalry using copper spears?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

Good work. I am following this thread mydad.

Is your cavalry using copper spears?

Of course. And our cavalry has also secretly been minotaurs all along.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The water/astral bless seems to have served our ponymans well.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

sullat posted:

The water/astral bless seems to have served our ponymans well.

I found xthetenth's chit stats yeah,

Checks out.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
He's going to be a mythic figure after this. There's going to be songs about him.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin -- who owns the 155mm now? The 99th (de jure) or the BEF (de facto)?

I would like the 155mm guns to support the attack on Quatrepots -- and would like to find a legal way for them to do so.

----

To General mon pere from General Bacarette

Here is the draft of the orders I plan on sending to my brigades

"With night falling in a few hours, these are likely the the final orders you will get.

99th Brigade -- You have a hole in your line with the front of your 75mm guns exposed. I am concerned the Germans may try a nightitme rush out of Saint Croissant or Baguette forest and overrun our gun line. The rules won't let you reshuffle infantry to plug the gap -- but your Engineers can move to fill that gap. I suggest you put them on the low ground in front of the artillery and dig them in.

97th Brigade -- Advance your infantry to the Dejeunner ridge and form a defensive line on the right flank of the 175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery). If you want, you can bring over some of your artillery from Clemenceau.

175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery) -- continue moving to secure the Dejuenner Ridge. Use artillery. MG, and rifle fire to destroy any German troops you encounter. Establish a defensive line on the northern edge of the Dejeunner Ridge and dig in. Make sure your artillery can cover the area just south of Saint Croissant and the Bois De Gooneville.

6th Cavalry Brigade. Magnificent work! You've earned your pay for today. Time to earn a little overtime. Catch your breath on the reverse slope of the Dejeunner Ridge for the time being and wait three turns. The gallop hell for leather and reconnoiter Faiblempot. If it's empty - take it. If it's got enemy troops, link up with the Reserve Cavalry and report what you found, then join their attack.

BEF -- excellent work clearing Dejeunner ridge. As previously ordered -- assault Quatrepots and take it. Once the village is secure -- head north as fast as possible to help the Reserve Cavalry Brigade take and hold Faiblempot. Use the 155mm howitzers to help shell enemy forces in Quatrepots, then leave them behind on Dejeunner ridge with a good field of fire facing Saint Croissant.

Reserve Cavalry Brigade -- Charge into Quatrepots and kill or capture every German you find in the village or the immediate area. Once that is done, move north as fast as you can and take Faiblempot at all costs. Stay as far west as possible to avoid fire from La Sanglante Femme.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 2, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The 155s currently consider themselves part of the BEF and will do until the quartermaster runs out of warm beer and Woodbines, which doesn't look to be any time soon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think we need to set conditionals around killing the runner. As in if he is still alive then we press on forward and try to kill enough Boche so that they flee before enemy reinforcements can come.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I think we need to set conditionals around killing the runner. As in if he is still alive then we press on forward and try to kill enough Boche so that they flee before enemy reinforcements can come.

Unfortunately, the runner is going to survive this day. Our goals for winning are:

1. drive the enemy out of 4farts
2. sneak over to fableimpots
3. kill boche during the night
4. Not lose too many more men

With that in mind, the Germans in 4farts are dead. The brigade in the open may have orders to attack, in which case there will be a bloody battle on fields outside of Brioche. I wish we could send someone over to support the 175th, but I don't think anyone but X is available.

I suspect the Germans may try an night attack in the east to neutralize the advantages of our guns. I certainly hope so, since they may not be aware of how we have reinforced the lines, but we should remember that when our guys start shooting, the enemy artillery will somehow sense which flashes of light are ours and zero in on them.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 28, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

I suspect the Germans may try an night attack in the east to neutralize the advantages of our guns. I certainly hope so, since they may not be aware of how we have reinforced the lines, but we should remember that when our guys start shooting, the enemy artillery will somehow sense which flashes of light are ours and zero in on them.

They don't have much artillery left as Roland has already seen to almost all of their big guns.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

They don't have much artillery left as Roland has already seen to almost all of their big guns.

True. Although I'd estimate that there are 4 or 5 arty pieces still on Pasteur, plus a shitload of MGs. Enough to mess up an exposed infantry brigade's day if caught out in the open. That being said, I think we can send the 53rd in to clear out the Bois de Baguette and take up positions there to spoil any major attack. If the Germans attack it, they will be lit up for our own arty to shoot at.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Us both sending a brigade into the woods at night does sound entertaining...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bacarruda posted:

To General mon pere from General Bacarette

Here is the draft of the orders I plan on sending to my brigades

"With night falling in a few hours, these are likely the the final orders you will get.

99th Brigade -- You have a hole in your line with the front of your 75mm guns exposed. I am concerned the Germans may try a nightitme rush out of Saint Croissant or Baguette forest and overrun our gun line. The rules won't let you reshuffle infantry to plug the gap -- but your Engineers can move to fill that gap. I suggest you put them on the low ground in front of the artillery and dig them in.

97th Brigade -- Advance your infantry to the Dejeunner ridge and form a defensive line on the right flank of the 175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery). If you want, you can bring over some of your artillery from Clemenceau.

175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery) -- continue moving to secure the Dejuenner Ridge. Use artillery. MG, and rifle fire to destroy any German troops you encounter. Establish a defensive line on the northern edge of the Dejeunner Ridge and dig in. Make sure your artillery can cover the area just south of Saint Croissant and the Bois De Gooneville.

6th Cavalry Brigade. Magnificent work! You've earned your pay for today. Time to earn a little overtime. Catch your breath on the reverse slope of the Dejeunner Ridge for the time being and wait three turns. The gallop hell for leather and reconnoiter Faiblempot. If it's empty - take it. If it's got enemy troops, link up with the Reserve Cavalry and report what you found, then join their attack.

BEF -- excellent work clearing Dejeunner ridge. As previously ordered -- assault Quatrepots and take it. Once the village is secure -- head north as fast as possible to help the Reserve Cavalry Brigade take and hold Faiblempot. Use the 155mm howitzers to help shell enemy forces in Quatrepots, then leave them behind on Dejeunner ridge with a good field of fire facing Saint Croissant.

Reserve Cavalry Brigade -- Charge into Quatrepots and kill or capture every German you find in the village or the immediate area. Once that is done, move north as fast as you can and take Faiblempot at all costs. Stay as far west as possible to avoid fire from La Sanglante Femme.

Hm... This is quite different than what I had in mind.

I'd rather let the engineers finish building the barbed wire they were building near Sullat's guys.

The 97th would be better off joining the assault on quad and holding the town against any cheeky nighttime shenanigans. They really don't have the strength to do much else, and I'd really like to have a unit in there for when the German army timer runs out.

I'm not sure if it's worth waiting with X's guys. We don't know how much of a clusterfuck movement at night is, and I'd really like to have him heading for Faibleimpot as soon as possible because of the timer.

I don't think the BEF is going to make it to Faibleimpot in a reasonable amount of time, and I don't think we're going to actually have to defend it. We've made no telling sign that it's actually our objective, and we might be able to hold it with just X's guys. I think the BEF should instead be redirected to intercept that German brigade after taking quad, and then deploy with its heavy guns in the front somewhere where they can target Croissant. After all, those guns are the only thing we have which can shoot into the town itself. That crossroads near Clemenceau might be a good idea?

The reserve cavalry is our best hope of taking Croissant. The enemy brigade inside the town is fairly weak, and an attack under the cover of darkness may result in our ultimate victory. I'm willing to risk it after it helps take quad.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Apropos of nothing, can we send out the plane again?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

sullat posted:

True. Although I'd estimate that there are 4 or 5 arty pieces still on Pasteur, plus a shitload of MGs. Enough to mess up an exposed infantry brigade's day if caught out in the open. That being said, I think we can send the 53rd in to clear out the Bois de Baguette and take up positions there to spoil any major attack. If the Germans attack it, they will be lit up for our own arty to shoot at.

Agree with this. We should send that brigade we have between Sullat and Loel into the Bois de Baguette to root out the boche company through concentrated rifle fire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

my dad posted:

I'm not sure if it's worth waiting with X's guys. We don't know how much of a clusterfuck movement at night is, and I'd really like to have him heading for Faibleimpot as soon as possible because of the timer.

Apparently it's dark enough that I'm only visible from 12" so I think I should peel out to Faibleimpot ASAP so I've got a better chance of finding the roads because I believe it's easier to navigate along them. Should I be riding up them or just straight north and hope I find Faibleimpot? I'm thinking see if I can get to the three way junction and then straight north, staying east of any trenches/fields, then north until the road and head west from there until I reach town. That sound like a good way to do it?

Loel posted:

Apropos of nothing, can we send out the plane again?

It's dusk already. Do we want it back?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The more Boche causalities we can achieve whilst they are out of position the closer we come to winning.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The total number of chits we have commanded is 242 by my count.
Meaning we have lost 54% of our total force and that if we were to lose 47/8 more chits then we lose.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Hm... This is quite different than what I had in mind.

I'd rather let the engineers finish building the barbed wire they were building near Sullat's guys.

The 97th would be better off joining the assault on quad and holding the town against any cheeky nighttime shenanigans. They really don't have the strength to do much else, and I'd really like to have a unit in there for when the German army timer runs out.

I don't think the BEF is going to make it to Faibleimpot in a reasonable amount of time, and I don't think we're going to actually have to defend it. We've made no telling sign that it's actually our objective, and we might be able to hold it with just X's guys. I think the BEF should instead be redirected to intercept that German brigade after taking quad, and then deploy with its heavy guns in the front somewhere where they can target Croissant. After all, those guns are the only thing we have which can shoot into the town itself. That crossroads near Clemenceau might be a good idea?

The reserve cavalry is our best hope of taking Croissant. The enemy brigade inside the town is fairly weak, and an attack under the cover of darkness may result in our ultimate victory. I'm willing to risk it after it helps take quad.

I can have X rush to Faiblempot. France's Greatest Hero will be in some danger doing so, but I think he can win the day.

See your point on the BEF. I'll stick them on the crossoads.

Would prefer to have the 97th up on the front lines. If they do make a desperate rush, I want as many men as possible in the fight.

I strongly object to making at attack on Croissant with only one brigade. We don't know what the night attack rules will do to unit cohesion. And it's very likely that they will be putting up roadblocks, wire, trenches, etc. in and around the town. I've already lost two brigades rush the town. I do not wish to lose a third.

If we must make an attack, can I suggest that we have the 99th, BEF, Cav, and the survivors of the 97th make a coordinated attack when feasible?

Also, are we going to retake Le Cote?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Your flyers have many demands on their time and will not be available to the Corps Commander again until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Your flyers have many demands on their time and will not be available to the Corps Commander again until tomorrow.

On a training exercise, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UlaAHdcRMg

• Locked thread