Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Carp seems to be either weird bait fishing (for real, go on youtube and look at some English carp fishing videos) or crazy guys with fly rods. I fish a canal that is full of monster carp but I have throw my tackle box at them and they never even notice.

My friend's Eastern European friends who are fishing fanatics snagged a few last summer. I think there's one in our freezer right now.

Of course I lost all respect for them once I figured out they were ripping salmon during a run up in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bongwizzard posted:

Carp seems to be either weird bait fishing (for real, go on youtube and look at some English carp fishing videos) or crazy guys with fly rods. I fish a canal that is full of monster carp but I have throw my tackle box at them and they never even notice.

dunno what sort of carp you guys have but I hauled these out using a compost worm on a size 10 hook under a quill float this morning.

Pulled them out of this little drain, it was a bit surprising how big fish can grow in such a small waterway, all those carp were 40-50cm

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Anyone ever experimented with spinnerbait DIY?

I got one of those kits for like $25 and made a few prototypes that I don't entirely know what to expect from as they aren't commercially on the market. Probably is a reason they aren't that way, but for $25 and maybe 5 minutes time it's a little fun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think here we have grass carp as our primary invasive species. I have never heard of anybody catching one on like a bass lure, it's always bait or a fly.

hagie posted:

Anyone ever experimented with spinnerbait DIY?

I got one of those kits for like $25 and made a few prototypes that I don't entirely know what to expect from as they aren't commercially on the market. Probably is a reason they aren't that way, but for $25 and maybe 5 minutes time it's a little fun.

I never have, but I keep meaning to get into making my own little in-line spinners. I've got to the point where I don't like using the ones with treble hooks and factory made single ones are pretty tough to find and never go on sale. My idea is to make then out of thin titanium wire with tungsten weights as the body. Very heavy for their size and the tougher wire stand up to more abuse. My primary use for them is perch fishing around docks and I am always banging my current ones up when I miss cast and slam one into a piling. I like keeping them to a small profile but I want more weight so I can have them run deeper and still retrieve them fast enough to keep the blade spinning.

I have all the parts and tools saved in a shopping cart somewhere, but I've never managed to clean off enough space on my bench to give it a go.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

The kit I have is for bass and the type with the crook with the long arm. Came with various blades, and a few with colors like white and fluorescent yellow, 3 black heads with arm, 3 chartreuse, and 3 white, along with some willow blades and the beads, clevis attachments and swivels.

It really has made me question why every single lure is practically single blade or small colorado + big willow or small willow + big willow. I mean Booyah has that 4 willow type, and it kind of got me inspired into experimentation.

I found out today that a friend of mine knows a small time lure maker in the Charlotte area (Rippler?) that back in the early 90s was apparently pretty big time. I kind of want to pick his brain to see why the market is so stagnant. His site is nonexistent so researching what he did prior isn't really an option.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grass carp are vegetarian I think, so it makes sense they don't chew on worms. Gonna give some carp bait a chance this summer.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

hagie posted:

Last summer I was in the same decision making process and ended up settling on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 after 3 months of looking and deciding. Looked at the F&S and a bunch of others because I too am a fatty.

Do you happen to use a wetsuit while on it? I'm trying to figure out what size would fit me best since a bunch in fatty sizes are on sale right now and paddling around in 33-40 degree water in jeans and a t-shirt is probably a bad idea.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Any of you fishermen from Florida? We're staying in a house with a dock on a canal that connects to the Weeki Wachee river in June. We went there last summer. 90% of the fish in there were mullet. My son (12) is determined to catch some of those bastards this year. He made himself a spear out of tire spokes and an old fishing pole. Is it legal for him to poke at mullet from the dock with it? I tend to think that it isn't

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dregs posted:

Any of you fishermen from Florida? We're staying in a house with a dock on a canal that connects to the Weeki Wachee river in June. We went there last summer. 90% of the fish in there were mullet. My son (12) is determined to catch some of those bastards this year. He made himself a spear out of tire spokes and an old fishing pole. Is it legal for him to poke at mullet from the dock with it? I tend to think that it isn't

Hmmm. The spring is freshwater, so spearfishing is not allowed, however throwing a spear attached to line would be considered bowfishing, which is allowed in freshwater and I believe mullet are a targetable species.

Check the FWC site to be sure. Another option is to hop on a charter or headboat out of the springs. The offshore fishing in that area is amazing and being that it's the middle of nowhere prices are more reasonable than Tampa or other metro areas.

edit: You can also pick up a 5 foot cast net for $40 at a bait shop and catch as many as you want.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

charliebravo77 posted:

Do you happen to use a wetsuit while on it? I'm trying to figure out what size would fit me best since a bunch in fatty sizes are on sale right now and paddling around in 33-40 degree water in jeans and a t-shirt is probably a bad idea.

Go bigger with wetsuits. I'm shorter and stocky and wear a large shirt no problem, but a large wetsuit is uncomfortably tight.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

tesilential posted:

Hmmm. The spring is freshwater, so spearfishing is not allowed, however throwing a spear attached to line would be considered bowfishing, which is allowed in freshwater and I believe mullet are a targetable species.

Check the FWC site to be sure. Another option is to hop on a charter or headboat out of the springs. The offshore fishing in that area is amazing and being that it's the middle of nowhere prices are more reasonable than Tampa or other metro areas.

edit: You can also pick up a 5 foot cast net for $40 at a bait shop and catch as many as you want.

Thanks! We were actually going to rent a boat for a day, but I am not sure we'll be able to blunder into a good fishing spot by ourselves.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

tesilential posted:

What's the offshore fishing trip like on the west coast of Florida? I'm spoiled being in South Florida, where the reef is 1 mile from shore, so most of a 4-hour trip is spent on the reef.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Huh. Now I'm doing some reading about Carp and I'm super confused. First they're vegetarian, then they're omnivorous and not active and they just like corn a lot. I have no idea.

Has anyone here caught one?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tesilential posted:

Go bigger with wetsuits. I'm shorter and stocky and wear a large shirt no problem, but a large wetsuit is uncomfortably tight.

Went with a 3XL NRS 3mm Farmer John for $76 shipped after 15% off from ACK.com and some 3mm Amazon booties. Should at least be safer than jeans.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dregs posted:

Thanks! We were actually going to rent a boat for a day, but I am not sure we'll be able to blunder into a good fishing spot by ourselves.

Every inch of the river systems in that part of the state is fishy! You can catch largemouth bass easily on stick worms tossed under cover or into holes in crystal clear water. Head downstream and throw shrimp along the edges for redfish. Trim the motor up and get as shallow as you can, they get holed up in pools during low tides.

One of my good buddies father in law is a 70 year old captain outta that area, he can put you on as many redfish as you can reel in. They are one of the best eating fish on earth.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Huh. Now I'm doing some reading about Carp and I'm super confused. First they're vegetarian, then they're omnivorous and not active and they just like corn a lot. I have no idea.

Has anyone here caught one?

Yes. Accidently caught common carp targeting other stuff in a city pond.

There's three major species of carp being discussed here.

Common Carp: omnivorous bottom suckers. Introduced a long time ago and basically uncontrollable any longer.
Grass Carp: vegetarian feeder. Legally introduced and sold as long as they have been genetically modified to not reproduce. Used in a lot of ponds to control algae.
Silver Carp: filter feeder. Awful fish that spook easily and jump. Bow fishing is your only real option.

Goldfish are becoming a problem in some lakes too. Basically miniature common Carp.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dang 4 new posts in between my replies! Go fishing thread Go!

Enigma posted:

What's the offshore fishing trip like on the west coast of Florida? I'm spoiled being in South Florida, where the reef is 1 mile from shore, so most of a 4-hour trip is spent on the reef.

I went outta Dunedin on Saturday, started fishing about 18 miles out over limestone bottom for red grouper. Went as far as 25 where we got tons of black sea bass and like 80 grunts and 10 short grouper, reds and gags. Then stopped at one spot on the way in about 23 miles and got nonstop short gag action until my roommate got a 33" plus gag. We got a good picture (they're out of season) and called it a day. We were out maybe 5 hours total including the rides.

I think the ride out is very similar up in the Homossassa area but it's a larger area with less pressure.

A 4 hour headboat is probably only good for grunts. If you can get on a sport boat or 6 pack charter then you can get out to good water and back in 4 hours and have a shot at good fish.

I always go for 8 hour trips myself since it's usually like 15-25% more money for at least 100% more fishing time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

It really has made me question why every single lure is practically single blade or small colorado + big willow or small willow + big willow. I mean Booyah has that 4 willow type, and it kind of got me inspired into experimentation.

The different blade styles provide varying amounts of flash, vibration, and lift. For example the single large Colorado blade provides a lot of thump but not a lot of lift, so it's good for a slowly crawling around the bottom in low light or stained water conditions.

My favorite all-around spinner bait is the 3/8 outs compact model from Siebert outdoors. They are really high-quality at a crazy good price. They have a nice small profile while still keeping enough weight to cast well and to stay deep.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

tesilential posted:

Dang 4 new posts in between my replies! Go fishing thread Go!

I went outta Dunedin on Saturday, started fishing about 18 miles out over limestone bottom for red grouper. Went as far as 25 where we got tons of black sea bass and like 80 grunts and 10 short grouper, reds and gags. Then stopped at one spot on the way in about 23 miles and got nonstop short gag action until my roommate got a 33" plus gag. We got a good picture (they're out of season) and called it a day. We were out maybe 5 hours total including the rides.

I think the ride out is very similar up in the Homossassa area but it's a larger area with less pressure.

A 4 hour headboat is probably only good for grunts. If you can get on a sport boat or 6 pack charter then you can get out to good water and back in 4 hours and have a shot at good fish.

I always go for 8 hour trips myself since it's usually like 15-25% more money for at least 100% more fishing time.

Man that sounds like a lot of travel time. I have family in Tampa who love fishing, so I plan to make it over for a trip eventually.

Down here a 4-hour trip can be pretty productive. Last time I was out on a small (10 person) headboat, my brother and I went home with more than a dozen yellowtail and mangrove snapper, half a dozen rainbow runners, and my first mahi. Caught several times more that in fish that were either undersized or out of season.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

I have had mine 9 months or so, and I'm in SC so really I don't get in it until late March or afterwards. I don't like being in the cold, period, so sitting above cold water, and having to wade my feet in ice cold water to get in does NOT interest me at all.

I've only used it in summer in 80 + water when putting my feet in is a notch or 2 under sexual activities.

bongwizzard posted:

The different blade styles provide varying amounts of flash, vibration, and lift. For example the single large Colorado blade provides a lot of thump but not a lot of lift, so it's good for a slowly crawling around the bottom in low light or stained water conditions.

My favorite all-around spinner bait is the 3/8 outs compact model from Siebert outdoors. They are really high-quality at a crazy good price. They have a nice small profile while still keeping enough weight to cast well and to stay deep.

I know the "why they are how they are" I am just questioning why that's it and why no advancements or ground breaking innovations have been made in 50 years. Is it because everything has been tried and that's just the way it is? The market as far as look, looks dull with options, but you go look at crankbaits or worms and it's drat near anything you can think of in varying styles.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

I know the "why they are how they are" I am just questioning why that's it and why no advancements or ground breaking innovations have been made in 50 years. Is it because everything has been tried and that's just the way it is? The market as far as look, looks dull with options, but you go look at crankbaits or worms and it's drat near anything you can think of in varying styles.

I don't know, I guess it seems like with plastics and cranks there a lot more directions you can go, design wise.

If you count chatterbaits as a subset of spinnerbaits, that's a pretty large pretty recent development.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So my fears of not being able to fish were completely unfounded. The water dropped far enough there's a new shoreline, part of which is dirt, and part of which is dotted with rocky and sandy areas and I can walk around the reservoir without treading on the Neighbors lawns. They don't technically own the first 20 feet by the water since it's DEC land but everyone acts like they do.

There was a cut tree stump on a rocky beach and I was able to sit down like an old man, smoke a cigar, and cast into 10-15 feet of water on my day off.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 28, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Living the dream. I went out yesterday to one of my local ponds and saw that the Lillypad's were starting to bloom, and then saw like a 20 inch bass just cruising around right up next to the bank.

Of course all I had with me was a trout rod and Mr. Bass was totally uninterested in my little spinner.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Living the dream. I went out yesterday to one of my local ponds and saw that the Lillypad's were starting to bloom, and then saw like a 20 inch bass just cruising around right up next to the bank.

Of course all I had with me was a trout rod and Mr. Bass was totally uninterested in my little spinner.

Haha, thanks. I've got the setup but you've got the skills. Fishing is like the gym, you're not going to know what the gently caress you're doing for the first year.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
My goal is to catch one catfish this year. Just one. Then I'll have fulfilled my fish needs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Went fishing over the oyster beds in Betz-Tiger, no fish but lovely scenery and weather.

And sulky company that desperately wanted to hike and swim instead.

i'm booooored i wanna go walkies

YASE walkies

why is water botom sharp i wanna go swimmies (she had limited swimmies due to oyster beds)

i is best dog, get own solo cup and half ur french fries

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
had my first crack at something really big and toothy last night. Me and a mate took my kayak, a couple of game rods and some bricks down to the beach where we paddled out some big baits to the edge of a channel. I got one decent run on a 2kg cuttlefish but didn't hook up and after that it was pretty quiet. It was interesting paddling the second bait out into the darkness where a pretty annoyed shark might be looking for the person who tried to give it a pierced lip.

Now I've got a taste for it we're planning a trip to a spot where they got dusted multiple times slide baiting with heavy spinning gear; hopefully the heavier overheads and greater line capacity will give us a chance of landing one of those unstoppables. It'll take a bit effort, I'll have to load the kayak up with bricks and paddle a few km down the coast to the spot while my friend trudges down along the beach with the rods and other tackle.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, they could be triploid grass carp, which are vegetarian and eat pond scum. This was our pet monster that lived in our pond, she was a lovely girl and I miss her :(

How'd that fucker taste?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

extra stout posted:

How'd that fucker taste?

She was a friend fish, not a food fish.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Suspect Bucket posted:

She was a friend fish, not a food fish.

Bro fish are the best. Back in my early-mid 20s I would wade the Rapidan River here in VA, and there was a big-rear end carp the locals called "Bubba" that would hang around the boat landing. It would follow behind people swimming/wading in the river and hoover up the critters getting kicked up. Trying to catch him was extremely frowned upon and would get you a hot little earful if you got caught trying.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I've been working constantly amazed to slip out the other day and got these two. The SAV and pads are growing in nicely, and I have the next two or three weeks mostly free. Going to hassle so many bass.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I've been working constantly amazed to slip out the other day and got these two. The SAV and pads are growing in nicely, and I have the next two or three weeks mostly free. Going to hassle so many bass.

Still too cold here, I'm jealous. I'm gonna work a ned rig as soon as I start seeing bites on the top of the water during the sunset. The water around here is REALLY dark and stained with about 3 foot visibility, if I'm going to be casting into 8-10 feet I should use a really light elastech bait on my neds, right? I have some shiny brown ones but it looks like it's going to be too dark to see in any sort of depth.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Rotten Cookies posted:

These jerks. Google is telling me they're different than bloodworms? But similar. They're both biting fucks.

Hellgrammite, maybe? Some fly larva monstrosity that'll grab the fish for you. If you ask nice.

Weather's warming up. Checking this thread to get in the mood.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Woodpile posted:

Weather's warming up. Checking this thread to get in the mood.

I was going to go out in my Sea Ghost tomorrow and fish a local lake to get some of that spawn action.

Death in the family changed that. I am having no luck getting out right now.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

hagie posted:

I was going to go out in my Sea Ghost tomorrow and fish a local lake to get some of that spawn action.

Death in the family changed that. I am having no luck getting out right now.

Sorry for your loss.

I used to have a canoe, but I am fortunate enough to get some decent fishing in from the shore or wading within walking distance from my house (if you don't mind the poison ivy and occasional bee sting). Shad and stripers in spring, catfish in summer and bass/panfish year round.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

It was my father-in-law, he will be missed, definitely for the affection he showed my son.

I can even find time to make it to a local pond...if it isn't some random activity taking up time it's my knees feeling rotten

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Long term double post, but looking at some ideas for a spot I frequent.

Below I have attached a picture of Mountain Island Lake near Charlotte NC. This was where i got my kayak legs when I first got it. I love it because of the lack of large motor craft. In fact I gave up at another local lake this Friday because there were too many boats and I spent more time correcting course than getting lures in the water.

The Purple border on the northern portion is heavily fished by walk-ins, and is where I began to scout this place out about a year ago. The spot I was most sure of was the center channel, but I never pulled anything out of there. Dead center between the dock structure(just below the red text about the boulders) and the big red X on the north is an access point for canoes/kayaks/paddle boarders. Another reason I love it, no competition to get in. This part of the lake is extremely shallow. One side is 12' max going all the way to practical inches to the far east, the other side through the channel gets to 20' at its deepest and is mostly consistent.

The 2 Xs squared off are one place I caught a 2lb large mouth, and another where I lost "something." It could have been a snake or turtle, but it definitely ran with my bait and I didn't bring it in. Both of these were on a wacky rigged Senko, watermelon with red fleck.

The big problem I am having is, I cannot find the fish. It seems fishy as gently caress, especially with the abundance of docks on the south side and the rock structures and 3 fish attracting structures (pvc porcupines) on the deeper ends. It could be that there are in fact, no fish, or hardly any bass that I am after, and any large craft that come in go straight to the southern most cove, work their way up towards the fish attractant to the west, and then power up and take off. Every time these guys are throwing buzzbaits, regardless of the time of day or seasonal time. I usually get in a good conversation because we are competing for our way down the channel while I'm letting my bait coast me down to the bottom.

I am heading here again tomorrow morning, and thinking of starting from the channel on down south and working more the frontage of the docks, or to the deeper side of the docks and using lipless cranks/squarebills, swimbaits, spinnerbaits, or anything in my box that looks like a bluegill or competing bass, trying to locate beds or post-spawn

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What times and weather are you fishing? Water clarity? No experience here with a kayak, but if I was bank fishing, I'd probably hang on the edge of the alligator grass, get on the edge of that with a weedless spoon, or a plastic frog. Maybe a spinner bait rigged with an appropriate artificial.

I've been to the Raptor Center near there, that place is awesome. Didn't get too good of a look at the water though.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 17, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

What times and weather are you fishing? Water clarity? No experience here with a kayak, but if I was bank fishing, I'd probably hang on the edge of the alligator grass, get on the edge of that with a weedless spoon, or a plastic frog. Maybe a spinner bait rigged with an appropriate artificial.

I've been to the Raptor Center near there, that place is awesome. Didn't get too good of a look at the water though.

Mostly it is early AM, most times in before sunrise until about noon, and my whole experience has been all of summer, and last fall. A handful of those times was cloudy/foggy, the other times pretty clear and calm.

Water clarity is typical for the area at nil. Like 6" clarity: muddy muddy muddy.

I will find out tomorrow if the grass is up, but possibly not. I have spent a lot of time around there in summer with a frog and not gotten much action. There is some kind of bed in the area because you can smell it. Likely brim I am guessing.

Bank fishing I am mostly done with here. Standing in the purple area, and seeing all those docks just pains me. That purple area is also rife with bank bobber fishermen looking for cats and taking in anything that hits the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

Long term double post, but looking at some ideas for a spot I frequent.

Below I have attached a picture of Mountain Island Lake near Charlotte NC. This was where i got my kayak legs when I first got it. I love it because of the lack of large motor craft. In fact I gave up at another local lake this Friday because there were too many boats and I spent more time correcting course than getting lures in the water.

I would assume the bass in that lake are spawning right now, which make them tough to get. I would try to find their beds, look along the shallow spots close to deep water, where I maked in Gray.

I have had the week off and went fishing every day. It was pretty much a parade of dinks, but a few days were good for numbers. I did get one good one in one of our super low reservoirs;
Saw this dead shad on the bank and was like "oh I have the lure for this";

Then like 3-4 casts later;