Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I only play games where both men and women are clad in full suits of armor to avoid sexiness. Full havels in all dark souls games even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Yossarian posted:

I only play games where both men and women are clad in full suits of armor to avoid sexiness. Full havels in all dark souls games even

The black iron armor is a little risque but that's just how the tark fatrolls.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think Horizon is a bizarro Witcher. The story and characters are all pretty mediocre, but the controls are tight and the combat and exploration is amazing. Hunting machines on hard basically plays the way I wanted The Witcher's contracts to play.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RBA Starblade posted:

The black iron armor is a little risque but that's just how the tark fatrolls.
Lol I really liked this thank you :)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Am I a dummy for buying a slim over a Pro in the long run?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah. Unless you really care about small performance boosts or have a 4K TV.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Norns posted:

Am I a dummy for buying a slim over a Pro in the long run?

I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn right now and just finished Tomb Raider 2 (and I have a VR) and let me tell you that you made a terrible decision if you have a 4K setup.

If you're on 1080p, there's supposedly not a huge difference.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I remember reading that Horizon downsamples if you're playing from a Pro on 1080p but I'm not sure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most pro-enabled games will downsample when driving a 1080p display, the ones that don't let you choose native 1080p with more effects or fps at least. So it'll look better than a non-pro, but not as much better as it would if both consoles were plugged into a 4K display (where the non-pro output would get run through the TV's scaler).

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

exquisite tea posted:

I think I remember reading that Horizon downsamples if you're playing from a Pro on 1080p but I'm not sure.

It does. There's also a 'performance' mode that renders at native 1080p, however it still maxes out at 30fps, which it maintains almost all the time in the downsampled mode anyway, so there's very little point to it (see 'Update' at top of this article):
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Humm just read up on that boost mode patch as well.

I currently have 1080p monitors and TV. But I'm a big baby about frame rates...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dark Souls 2 had the problem of the original director that Miyazaki appointed while he worked on Bloodborn being taken off the project and a new guy had to scrap previous builds which by all accounts were barely functioning and unfun and couldn't run on last gen consoles at a decent framerate and then try and stitch what they had into a coherent game. It did have a lot of good ideas though and the DLC for Dark Souls 2 is some of the best content in the series.

So naturally, 3 scrapped a good number of things 2 introduced (but kept a lot of the really bad stuff from 2 for some reason) and just made Dark Souls 1 again, but this time with some Bloodborne's aesthetic and animation speeds. I don't dislike Dark Souls 3, but out of every Souls game including Demon's Souls it is the game I'll probably replay the least.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Dark Souls 2 had the problem of the original director that Miyazaki appointed while he worked on Bloodborn being taken off the project and a new guy had to scrap previous builds which by all accounts were barely functioning and unfun and couldn't run on last gen consoles at a decent framerate and then try and stitch what they had into a coherent game. It did have a lot of good ideas though and the DLC for Dark Souls 2 is some of the best content in the series.

So naturally, 3 scrapped a good number of things 2 introduced (but kept a lot of the really bad stuff from 2 for some reason) and just made Dark Souls 1 again, but this time with some Bloodborne's aesthetic and animation speeds. I don't dislike Dark Souls 3, but out of every Souls game including Demon's Souls it is the game I'll probably replay the least.

Miyazaki directed Dark Souls 3 so it's perfect, actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Official Souls Ranking(tm) is Bloodborne > Dark > Nioh > Demon's > Dark Souls III > Dark Souls II. Thank you and have a good day.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Demon's Souls is the last time the series felt fresh.
Most people got their goth/weaboo phase out in high school, just fyi, hth.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't even know what that means but I don't think I care either.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Liver Disaster posted:

Demon's Souls is the last time the series felt fresh.
Most people got their goth/weaboo phase out in high school, just fyi, hth.

This is a low effort troll even for this forum.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ImpAtom posted:

The Official Souls Ranking(tm) is Bloodborne > Dark > Nioh > Demon's > Dark Souls III > Dark Souls II. Thank you and have a good day.

My friend asked me my opinion of Nioh yesterday, and I sent a text that was almost identical to your post haha. The only difference is that I put Demon's equal to Dark Souls 1.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've grown pretty fond of Nioh but it just doesn't even come close to any of the Souls games for me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

I've grown pretty fond of Nioh but it just doesn't even come close to any of the Souls games for me.

I agree especially with how lazy Nioh is with level design.

No starting a mission at a slightly different point in a level does not count as a new level.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Where do the Kings Field games fit into this discussion?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Billy Gnosis posted:

Where do the Kings Field games fit into this discussion?

in the trash can

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This but Dark and Nioh are equal.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So a dress is scantily clad? Are thou from fresh from Plymouth Rock, ye pilgrym?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8DwSrHJtGE

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I couldn't even finish Dark Souls 2 or 3. I found them both uninspired and boring. Nioh was far from perfect, but was pretty fresh. I do admit I get sequel fatigue way worse than most other people. If I enjoy a sequel it usually has to be excellent or have made major innovations. Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed 2 were good examples of games I still managed to really enjoy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I see more scantily and suggestive stuff on the street and on national television.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I see more scantily and suggestive stuff on the street and on national television.

I think he just posted that because you said "a dress is scantily clad?" implying you were unaware that this is actually what people were talking about. The original post you replied to just called it 'scantily clad', which I'd say a g-string qualifies for, regardless of whether they've shown nudity on TV.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Started playing Yakuza 0 after giving up on Gravity Rush 2 .

Where has this series been all my life? It's my first encounter with the franchise and i loving love it. A weird mixture of JRPG and Shenmue with a well written gangster story that has some nice humorous touches.

Am i right in thinking the remake of the first one is coming out the EU at some stage this year?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

spudsbuckley posted:

Where has this series been all my life? It's my first encounter with the franchise and i loving love it. A weird mixture of JRPG and Shenmue with a well written gangster story that has some nice humorous touches.

Am i right in thinking the remake of the first one is coming out the EU at some stage this year?

Yeah it's coming to NA and EU this summer. Yakuza 0 is the first one I've played beyond a few minutes of 4 and I love it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

spudsbuckley posted:

Where has this series been all my life?

Sega has been horrifically incompetent at distributing the series in the west for years.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycot posted:

Sega has been horrifically incompetent at distributing the series in the west for years.

They're getting better at least, once 6 comes out every main series game will be out in the west, we're just missing the samurai spinoffs, the PSP spinoffs and the HD remake of 1/2

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

They didn't have the bundle I was going to price match. I now own a ps4 pro.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

spudsbuckley posted:

:same:

mycot posted:

Its one of those weird things where they don't think it will sell or westerners don't want it. But holy poo poo, after 5 minutes with 0 I will buy every Yakuza game that comes out. Its really fun. All they had to do was localize one drat game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they localized the first yakuza and put a shitload of effort into it iirc and it didn't sell at all, so they immediately gave up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

they localized the first yakuza and put a shitload of effort into it iirc and it didn't sell at all, so they immediately gave up

Yeah, Yakuza 1 got a huge push and actual dubbing and completely bombed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I don't want a dub, subtitles worked great, its Japanese in Japan. Just give me then hot plot twists in text form.

Manatee Cannon posted:

When was this? This is the first I was ever aware of the series outside of importers from time to time talking about it, but I don't Japanese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

When was this? This is the first I was ever aware of the series outside of importers from time to time talking about it, but I don't Japanese.

Back on the PS2. That's where the "Yakuza" title came from after all. The Japanese game is Ryu Ga Gotoku (basically "Like A Dragon")

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Bombadilillo posted:

I don't want a dub, subtitles worked great, its Japanese in Japan. Just give me then hot plot twists in text form.

v: the dub was 2006 though.

Eleeleth fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 28, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yakuza 1 came out on ps2 in 2005

check out this va cast http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0823193/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The PS2 was a different time. The world at large was not ready for Yakuza.