Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nothing will ever top Majora's Mask I think. Just because of how singular and strange that game is, I don't know if Nintendo will ever make a risk like that again with the name Zelda on the packaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Folks I trust to call Nintendo games poo poo if they are are falling over themselves to say that BotW is excellent.

It's probably a Good Game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

neither Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had anyone saying they blew up the Zelda formula or even really deviated from it in any meaningful way.

They did, actually. I don't have any citations but SS was frequently described as a departure from the series formula, mostly regarding the structure of the dungeons or lack thereof. Which is not untrue, even if it didn't necessarily turn out to be an improvement over the old way.

In Training posted:

Nothing will ever top Majora's Mask I think. Just because of how singular and strange that game is, I don't know if Nintendo will ever make a risk like that again with the name Zelda on the packaging

This is also true.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Twilight Princess' entire appeal was "It's like Ocarina instead of like that weird poo poo we did before"

Skyward Sword's appeal was "It's been a while since we made a zelda, none of the elevator pitch features made it into this but you'll give it a 10/10 anyway"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

What the hell kind of monitor has a refresh rate that high? :psyduck:

I do remember a Super Bunnyhop video that compared 60 fps gaming with 144 fps gaming that I thought was pretty interesting (and that also, amusingly, came out like a week before YouTube rolled out their 60 fps option). It seems like it really is noticeable but it's not like most people have computers that are going to run most modern games at a frame rate like that.

Here's the video, if anyone's curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbTRSv9sQ8

Maybe it was 144 then, I just remember finding it kind of funny

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean I don't really give a poo poo if it's the ultimate game or whatever I just know that I can count the number of Zelda games I didn't like on one hand and that's with being generous and including the CD-i games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The hype for Breath of the Wild excites me more because it's so focused on how different it is from previous Zelda games. Unless I'm really misremembering, neither Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had anyone saying they blew up the Zelda formula or even really deviated from it in any meaningful way.

I'm interested in the one preview I read that said Breath of the Wild makes Horizon look "simplistic" here:

SS prerelease hype was all about how it completely changed everything

Also those quotes about BotW don't actually sound terribly fun...Like the difference in arrows sounds like the difference between Last of Us and Tomb Raider and while last of us is a fantastic game, on the basis of bows, TR wins hands down. Catching a boomerang every time sounds more annoying than anything and having to go though a process to kill normal enemies was one of the things that sucked about SS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I mean I don't really give a poo poo if it's the ultimate game or whatever I just know that I can count the number of Zelda games I didn't like on one hand and that's if I'm being generous and include the CD-i games.

Yeah same. But they're all 3D ones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a new Zelda II like Capcom treated MM9/10

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm wary of BotW because it's illegal for game reviewers to say bad things about Zelda games. Personally I haven't enjoyed a 3D Zelda since WW so I'm just going to wait and see. Nothing about BotW makes me very interested in it either...

I'm really interested because I really want an open world game that manages to actually feel like an adventure. I haven't run into one of those in a really long time, but the way Breath of the Wild seems to treat its open world as a toy for you to play with, rather than just the scenery where missions happen, excites me. If all of that is really the case and not just pre-release hype I'm going to be thrilled. It looks like it gives you a lot of really fun things to play with and doesn't limit the ways you use those toys the way that Skyward Sword so often did.

Assuming all the pre-release coverage is accurate, though, I sort of expect the game to get a chillier reception from a wider gaming audience. The weapon durability mechanic seems really punishing, combat is apparently actually hard, you have to actively seek out and even craft healing items, and there are a lot of other mechanics that I think lots of people will see as tedious micromanagement they don't want to do (like making sure Link's clothes are warm enough if you go somewhere cold).

Me, I'm all in for that. The weapon durability thing actually sounds like a lot of fun to me, even though I know it's popular to hate durability systems. I just remember loving the idea of stealing enemy weapons to use against them in Wind Waker and now Breath of the Wild is actually making that useful and not just a fun diversion.

haveblue posted:

They did, actually. I don't have any citations but SS was frequently described as a departure from the series formula, mostly regarding the structure of the dungeons or lack thereof. Which is not untrue, even if it didn't necessarily turn out to be an improvement over the old way.

Huh, fair enough. I remember looking at it and thinking it would just be Wind Waker but with flying instead of sailing, but it was so long ago (and I wasn't paying that close of attention) that I'm not surprised I misremember its pre-release coverage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly my biggest worry with BotW is that someone making it thought 'ah yes, weapon degradation is a fun and exciting mechanic and not something that is 100% awful every time'.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

They should make a new Zelda II like Capcom treated MM9/10

Was Simon's Quest one of the Castlevania games you skipped when you were trying them? Because it's pretty close.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In bigger news today, ASW announced Rev 2 is coming out day and date on PC and PS4. It's a miracle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Was Simon's Quest one of the Castlevania games you skipped when you were trying them? Because it's pretty close.

Yeah, but I actually kinda like Zelda II. Simon's Quest is just similar but I very quickly got fed up with the day/night cycle and talking to a million villagers. That said I haven't finished either, so it's not like I'm in love with Zelda II either. It just seems like it's ripe for revisitation.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you want a new Zelda 2, play Chronicles of Teddy. It is pretty blatantly that, complete with sort of crappy sword range and annoying shield enemies (though no horrible mountain maze equivalent)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly my biggest worry with BotW is that someone making it thought 'ah yes, weapon degradation is a fun and exciting mechanic and not something that is 100% awful every time'.

I think one reason I like the sound of Breath of the Wild's weapon durability system is that it's almost exactly what I wanted when I was complaining about the way Dark Souls 2 handled durability like a year and a half ago.

Punishing durability systems really suck if the game asks you to invest in a weapon or a type of weapon, and Dark Souls 2 sort of has you do both: you need to upgrade your weapons to keep them useful, and your build (to a certain degree) dictates what kind of weapons you can equip and what kind of weapons you're any good with. Your weapons degrading really quickly just sucks in that. Sure, they're easy and cheap to repair, and eventually you can just carry around piles of Repair Dust and stop caring, but it's still a pain in the rear end. And if the point was to ask the player to use a variety of weapons, the game needed to be more generous with upgrade materials early on.

What I wanted from a game where weapon durability is something I have to care about is to need to be a versatile scavenger. I don't mind having to frequently replace my weapons if everything about the game lets me treat those weapons as disposable. And in Breath of the Wild, that's what it looks like they're doing: weapons are easy to find, you don't have a build that pushes you toward any particular weapon type or another, and you don't invest upgrade materials or resources into any specific weapon. You use what you find and throw it away when you're done. I like that.

Where it could get unfun is if it butts up against a restrictive inventory size, though, or if weapons degrade so quickly that they break in nearly every fight, so I'll reserve actual judgment until I play it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

What the hell kind of monitor has a refresh rate that high? :psyduck:

I do remember a Super Bunnyhop video that compared 60 fps gaming with 144 fps gaming that I thought was pretty interesting (and that also, amusingly, came out like a week before YouTube rolled out their 60 fps option). It seems like it really is noticeable but it's not like most people have computers that are going to run most modern games at a frame rate like that.

Here's the video, if anyone's curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbTRSv9sQ8

You do get a super clean image in games that run 120fps+ that's definitely noticeable but my brain is happy enough with 60fps and all settings maxed out. Overwatch and other FPS players like higher framerates because it reduces the amount of input lag.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

You do get a super clean image in games that run 120fps+ that's definitely noticeable but my brain is happy enough with 60fps and all settings maxed out. Overwatch and other FPS players like higher framerates because it reduces the amount of input lag.

That and of course you want to make sure you maintain a high FPS when a lot of poo poo is on screen, so it's better to way overshoot for like 200+ FPS so you just never have to worry about it.

There are some 240Hz monitors out there though IIRC.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

What I wanted from a game where weapon durability is something I have to care about is to need to be a versatile scavenger. I don't mind having to frequently replace my weapons if everything about the game lets me treat those weapons as disposable. And in Breath of the Wild, that's what it looks like they're doing: weapons are easy to find, you don't have a build that pushes you toward any particular weapon type or another, and you don't invest upgrade materials or resources into any specific weapon. You use what you find and throw it away when you're done. I like that.

Where it could get unfun is if it butts up against a restrictive inventory size, though, or if weapons degrade so quickly that they break in nearly every fight, so I'll reserve actual judgment until I play it.

The weapon durability could be an easier pill to swallow if there was some kind of basic weapon you could always rely on but then I suppose people would rely on it and complain that the character was so weak or the difficulty was too high. I respect their attempt at doing it and agree with you that if the system is built around constant looting and scavenging then it could be pretty cool. I wonder about the sense of "progression" if you're constantly relegated to using Deku Sticks or are always on the verge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lobok posted:

The weapon durability could be an easier pill to swallow if there was some kind of basic weapon you could always rely on but then I suppose people would rely on it and complain that the character was so weak or the difficulty was too high. I respect their attempt at doing it and agree with you that if the system is built around constant looting and scavenging then it could be pretty cool. I wonder about the sense of "progression" if you're constantly relegated to using Deku Sticks or are always on the verge.

Yeah, that's the other thing. I think weapon-related progression is probably just going to have to come down to stronger enemies having stronger weapons, so you're using stronger weapons as you go.

I wonder how they're handling the Master Sword. My guess is that it's weak but unbreakable, and that you'll either power it up at the very tail end of the game (so it doesn't totally kill the weapon scavenging earlier than that), or it's a lot stronger specifically against Ganon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RCRU playable character spoilers if you expand this image.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

The hype for Breath of the Wild excites me more because it's so focused on how different it is from previous Zelda games. Unless I'm really misremembering, neither Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had anyone saying they blew up the Zelda formula or even really deviated from it in any meaningful way.

I'm interested in the one preview I read that said Breath of the Wild makes Horizon look "simplistic" here:

I don't actually own a PS4, so my opinion counts for poo poo, but I really don't like what I've seen of Horizon. I watched Gerstmann's hour long Quick Look yesterday and despite his love for the game it looked really unappealing to me--and I enjoy the latter day Far Cry titles a lot more than I probably should. Admittedly he was only showing the open-world stuff so maybe the story missions are much more exciting, plus the dungeon he was running went longer than expected and was filled with way more human enemies than robits, but the combat looked pretty bland. I mean, there's been a lot of games featuring bows in recent years (the aforementioned Far Cries, Tomb Raider, etc) where arrowing a dude in the head feels real good, so given that the primary weapon in Horizon is the bow, it's surprising how unsatisfying it looked to use. Not enough stagger, and other combat feedback to it. I also have mixed feelings about the graphics. On a technical level, the engine is obviously very impressive, but I just don't like the look of the game, outside of the monster-machines themselves. We've all seen the face-capture stuff, but I thought the human animations just looked stiff overall, I'm not a fan of the warm, orange filter that seemed overlayed over everything, and a lot of the textures are high-def in a way that looks plasticity. And it's probably the Witcher 3 spoiling things for me, but something about a lot of the landscape and settlements shown looked unnatural. Just wasn't digging the atmosphere of the game.

So anyway, there's my hot take: please ignore it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing. I think weapon-related progression is probably just going to have to come down to stronger enemies having stronger weapons, so you're using stronger weapons as you go.

I wonder how they're handling the Master Sword. My guess is that it's weak but unbreakable, and that you'll either power it up at the very tail end of the game (so it doesn't totally kill the weapon scavenging earlier than that), or it's a lot stronger specifically against Ganon.

Be kind of cool if the Master Sword had some Kirby-esque or Darksiders II capability of absorbing other weapons.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Unless I'm really misremembering, neither Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had anyone saying they blew up the Zelda formula or even really deviated from it in any meaningful way.

Prerelease the devs talked up SS merging exploration and dungeoneering, but that just amounted to removing exploration and replacing it with isolated minigame and fetchquest zones to unlock dungeons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Horizon thread is mostly people who haven't played it saying that it's the worst game ever so it's just par for the course really.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That and lurking gamefaqs for bad posts, because that's novel in 2017.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hello everyone. Going to redeem my three-month PS+ card on this, the last day of February so I can get LittleBigPlanet 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mordja posted:

I don't actually own a PS4, so my opinion counts for poo poo, but I really don't like what I've seen of Horizon. I watched Gerstmann's hour long Quick Look yesterday and despite his love for the game it looked really unappealing to me--and I enjoy the latter day Far Cry titles a lot more than I probably should. Admittedly he was only showing the open-world stuff so maybe the story missions are much more exciting, plus the dungeon he was running went longer than expected and was filled with way more human enemies than robits, but the combat looked pretty bland. I mean, there's been a lot of games featuring bows in recent years (the aforementioned Far Cries, Tomb Raider, etc) where arrowing a dude in the head feels real good, so given that the primary weapon in Horizon is the bow, it's surprising how unsatisfying it looked to use. Not enough stagger, and other combat feedback to it. I also have mixed feelings about the graphics. On a technical level, the engine is obviously very impressive, but I just don't like the look of the game, outside of the monster-machines themselves. We've all seen the face-capture stuff, but I thought the human animations just looked stiff overall, I'm not a fan of the warm, orange filter that seemed overlayed over everything, and a lot of the textures are high-def in a way that looks plasticity. And it's probably the Witcher 3 spoiling things for me, but something about a lot of the landscape and settlements shown looked unnatural. Just wasn't digging the atmosphere of the game.

The bow in Horizon feels good to me but it really rewards hitting the weak spots on the robos as you'll do jack poo poo otherwise, especially on Very Hard. A mistake I see a lot of streamers make is that they'll try to headshot with fire/shock arrows, when those are only good at inflicting status effects. Gotta use the normal pierce/tear arrows if you wanna noscope bots. In terms of responsiveness and physics it feels like GG just copied the bow mechanics directly from Tomb Raider, which is fine by me because I've played a lot of Tomb Raider.

Everything else is more or less an opinion so I can't fault you either way. I will say that I adore the painterly style of Horizon's visuals so that's a big plus for me. The face animations are pretty jank, though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So, anyone who has been playing RCR Underground:. How is the multiplayer? Heard complaints about it being "busted" but are the issues with the game right now like bad design issues or poo poo that could probably be fixed in hotfix patches issues?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Majora was also shockingly dark compared to the rest of the series; everything is the game is based around death and loss, and even in the most perfect version of the game you the player can muster the game makes sure to end on the image of the deku Butler mourning his son. You can't save everyone.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

his son is probably turned into a cool mask though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MM is the only Zelda game I've ever played to completion so it's my favorite.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

majora's mask is the best zelda game and the second best game ever so it's my favorite too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really like MM but I get why others do

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Mmmm, that's a good video game!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think we can all recognize the contributions of MM in paving the way for the more important, very necessary Lightning Returns.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

The bow in Horizon feels good to me but it really rewards hitting the weak spots on the robos as you'll do jack poo poo otherwise, especially on Very Hard. A mistake I see a lot of streamers make is that they'll try to headshot with fire/shock arrows, when those are only good at inflicting status effects. Gotta use the normal pierce/tear arrows if you wanna noscope bots. In terms of responsiveness and physics it feels like GG just copied the bow mechanics directly from Tomb Raider, which is fine by me because I've played a lot of Tomb Raider.
Yeah, like I said, the problem was probably exacerbated due to Jeff fighting cultists a lot. The "tear" arrow looked neat tho.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Would anyone want to play RCR co-op later tonight?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

majora's mask is the best zelda game and the second best game ever so it's my favorite too

What's the best game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the trick to horizon is that the super-broken weapon isn't any of the Bows but the Rattler. You use the bows to apply debuffs and then unload with the Rattler to kill almost anything in a few hits.

• Locked thread