Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

404notfound posted:

I'm in the market for a new mousepad. The Steelseries QcK I've been using for forever works fine enough as a mousing surface, but it refuses to stay in place on my desk, and I'm constantly adjusting it.

I'm a low-sens palm gripper, if that matters, though honestly I'm just looking for something that won't slide around when I'm whipping my hand back and forth. Or are there any cheap tricks to securing my current mousepad?

Get the really long ones where you can put your keyboard on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Also tape. I rely on tape under the corners, with a giant, thick, grippy Glorious PC Gaming Race (worst name ever) mousemat

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Horizontal Tree posted:

Also tape. I rely on tape under the corners, with a giant, thick, grippy Glorious PC Gaming Race (worst name ever) mousemat

This is my approach too. The little logo in the corner also comes off pretty easily if you scratch at it a bit...

Fwiw, I actually switched from that steelseries pad to my current one specifically because it was moving around (and because I dropped my sens by like 3/4 for CS:GO) and it's been a lot better.

I also found that the glidy bit (feet??) or whatever those are called were kind of catching on the mouse pad, if that's the case for you you might want to look into swapping those out. I'm sure other people in the thread have experience with that stuff.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I have an old Icemat mousepad. Will a newer pad give me more headshots?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
As if there are such things as newer mousepads. People have been using the same mousepads for years, they just keep reskinning them. QcK Heavy, Razer Goliathus, Artisan, various hard pads, etc.

Although, if you're buying a cloth mousepad, I would recommend one with a pattern on them, not just black. Black mousepads WILL white after a few months, and it will only continue to get worse as time goes on. It's inevitable, and especially apparent on black cloth mousepads.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Same re mousepad chat: Get a keyboard sized one, with a stitched edge, and a pattern.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
You can wash mousepads. I do it to my sargas and qck heavy every few weeks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

2' x 1' piece of anodized aluminum on top of a sheet of silicone if you give no fucks about aesthetics and just want a good mousing surface.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rexxed posted:

2' x 1' piece of anodized aluminum on top of a sheet of silicone if you give no fucks about aesthetics and just want a good mousing surface.

This, but media‐blasted stainless steel.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I have like 14 mouse pads at this stage. What are you looking for? Hardpad or cloth, hybrid, plastic, smooth, slow, thick, etc. Be more specific.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

This, but media‐blasted stainless steel.

This but actually Cerakote.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

The wheel on my Avior 7000 hasn't been working properly for a while, so I finally got fed up and switched to the backup Kone Pure Military I've had sitting around. The Kone seems like a decent mouse and I think I prefer something closer to its weight (93 g versus apparently 146 g with the Avior), but it doesn't feel quite long enough to be comfortable and the wheel is located a bit too far back or too close to my palm. Does anybody know of any other good, lighter mice for a hybrid/claw grip? I tend to stick to 1600 DPI, if it matters.

I used a Deathadder and then a Corsair M90 directly before replacing it with the Avior. The only other one I can think of that I tried before settling on the Avior probably doesn't qualify as a "lighter" mouse even without any weights loaded, but it was the G502 (the original version, which I'm guessing is the "Proteus Core"). I really didn't like pretty much anything about how it felt (shape, wheel, weight and the way the weight felt distributed in its body, etc.).

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

What is the consensus on best gaming mouse regardless of price? G502?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
G502/3 if you prefer very heavy mice, G402 if not.

G900 is ambidextrous and has long battery life. The profile feels a little higher.

G402 is sometimes on sale for like $40/£20.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Piggy Smalls posted:

There isn't.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Piggy Smalls posted:

Yeah it's not a matter of consensus, there's personal preference involved. G502 and some other logitech ones are very good. Zowie FK2 or EC1a or other are also very very good. Depends a bit on what kind of grip you use, how many buttons you want etc

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The best mouse is the one that feels best in your hand.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The best mouse is the one that feels best in your hand.

you mean the deathadder elite

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I think my MX510 is finally starting to die after almost 13 years of continuous use. While the buttons and scroll wheel still feel extremely solid the mouse seems to constantly disconnect from the computer for a half second or so and about half of the time nothing happens when I try to scroll up and down. I'm guessing this is a mouse and not software issue, correct? Is the G900 a good replacement or is there something new that matches the MX510?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Deviant posted:

you mean the deathadder elite
DA Elite doesn't have onboard memory for settings and razer synapse is basically a virus for computers

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Also its just made by Razer. That should say enough.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I think my MX510 is finally starting to die after almost 13 years of continuous use. While the buttons and scroll wheel still feel extremely solid the mouse seems to constantly disconnect from the computer for a half second or so and about half of the time nothing happens when I try to scroll up and down. I'm guessing this is a mouse and not software issue, correct? Is the G900 a good replacement or is there something new that matches the MX510?

Condolences. Your Logitech mouse has entered the end of its lifespan, as indicated by what I call "disconnect-reconnectitis".

On the upshot: The primary root cause for this, so long as all your buttons seem to be working normally, is that the wire has begun to wear out inside the mouse body itself. This is a Logitech mouse's primary failure mode. If you can source a mouse cable, either salvaged from some other mouse, or going in, cutting off the end and reterminating the connector, your mouse can continue to serve for years to come.

You'll notice I said "reterminate" not "resolder". That's because Logitech tends to wire their mice with connectors like so, as seen in these example MX518s:

The USB wire goes under the circuit board, before popping up over by where it plugs in.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 13, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheRationalRedditor posted:

DA Elite doesn't have onboard memory for settings and razer synapse is basically a virus for computers

Synapse is awful.

I'm sick of manufacturers doing this poo poo in general

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Synapse is awful.

I'm sick of manufacturers doing this poo poo in general

i know but the hardware is good and nothing else fits my hand quite right :(

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm super happy with my Zowie EC2A. Good build quality for the price, zero drivers, all the functionality I need and the shape reminds me of the old white IntelliMouse. The coating still holds up fine after a few months. If they could remove the small red logo and give me an option to disable the LED lit mouse wheel it'd be 100% perfect. Highly recommended.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

or going in, cutting off the end and reterminating the connector, your mouse can continue to serve for years to come.

I gave my G5 3 more years of life by doing this.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I grabbed a g403 wireless on sale to give it a shot. I like the shape, but wish it was a little lower in height. The wireless is wonderful though.

I think I like the shape of the g102 more, but I do love the wireless-ness. Im unsure if I'll keep the g403 as of yet. Build quality seems good with it though.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Is there a mice in the size of a Razer Abyssus with thumb-buttons? I have an old Logitech Mini Optical from when I was a Korean Brood War fanboy I want to update from and I like the size but it could be more comfy.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

There's quite a few mice cut from the simple ambidextrous mold, and the most recent ones of note are the Logitech G Pro/G203, the Nixeus Revel, Finalmouse Scream One, and the CM Mastermouse S (arriving soon, only in Eu so far). There's no better way to determine what fits better than putting your hands on one, but symmetrical and straightforward models are perpetually popular.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

i know but the hardware is good and nothing else fits my hand quite right :(

Have you tried the ASUS ROG Gladius? Very similar form factor.

Sidenote: I wish there existed a left-handed one. Razer's left-handed Deathadder is a few generations old and the middle click is more annoying than the more recent versions.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I dislike the G403 after having acquired some sort of unusual pain from using it over the last few days. I bought a Mionix Castor to try. God I have so many mice. It's not even funny.

I feel like the tracking in games using the ec2a is really good, better than the G Pro/102/3366 in general but why. Is it the shape or sensor or what. I don't know. I also have an FK2 but it's the latest BenQ which means inferior click latency and coating, comparing it to my white logo ec2a just isn't fair.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

There's quite a few mice cut from the simple ambidextrous mold, and the most recent ones of note are the Logitech G Pro/G203, the Nixeus Revel, Finalmouse Scream One, and the CM Mastermouse S (arriving soon, only in Eu so far). There's no better way to determine what fits better than putting your hands on one, but symmetrical and straightforward models are perpetually popular.

The Logitech and Mastermouse both look excellent. Thanks! How are the Zowie FK? I haven't gotten a chance to see them myself in a shop, but they look kinda long?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

von Braun posted:

The Logitech and Mastermouse both look excellent. Thanks! How are the Zowie FK? I haven't gotten a chance to see them myself in a shop, but they look kinda long?
People who like them like it a lot, but I've never personally used one. I've not owned a Zowie since they got acquired by Benq, so I can't speak on the sliding QA issues. If you like the look of any of them, try a G203 immediately because it's ~$30 USD, which an insane deal for how excellent it is.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

People who like them like it a lot, but I've never personally used one. I've not owned a Zowie since they got acquired by Benq, so I can't speak on the sliding QA issues. If you like the look of any of them, try a G203 immediately because it's ~$30 USD, which an insane deal for how excellent it is.

Yeah, I've been researching the g203 a bit now, it looks perfect for what i'm looking for.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

astral posted:

Have you tried the ASUS ROG Gladius? Very similar form factor.

Sidenote: I wish there existed a left-handed one. Razer's left-handed Deathadder is a few generations old and the middle click is more annoying than the more recent versions.

Never seen one in a store and I can't be buying up a bunch of different mice. :(

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
e: Holy poo poo read the thread you moron.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I highly recommend the g102/203, especially for the price.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
There's someone who works for Logitech here, right? Is G303 running EOL? I wanted to buy a second because my year-old one's back button is double clicking, but I can't find them for base prices anywhere. Well, I mean I do live in New Zealand though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yes, it's sadly been discontinued. Recently saw a reddit post from someone who tried to cash in their warranty and were offered a G403 instead. They're still available from vendors, but probably not many for too much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I used Sleep mode for the first time on W10, and now the light on my G900 keeps turning itself on.

What the hell do I do about that?