Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
man, but that's not fun at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I actually have to pray that the Takumis I fight are optimized because my current team can one shot them on the counterattack but no other Takumi

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ChronoReverse posted:

So it's looking like I was wrong and the server may really be accepting client-side information. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me but incompetence knows no bounds.

If this is true, my bet is on it just being ignorance. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems aren't exactly seasoned mobile developers, and it would not surprise me at all if someone on the project didn't understand how easy it is to fiddle with apps on an Android compared to a game console. Same thing happens when Korean MMOs launch worldwide and it turns out that they are super easy to hack, because the developers are just used to making games for a market where nobody cheats out of fear that their government ID# will get blacklisted from every game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

dragon enthusiast posted:

In case you ever wanted to know how luck has blessed you, if my math is right on average its 66.6 stones on average to pull a 5* from gacha and 133.3 to pull a banner 5*

I had a pull with three 5*s last week :)

Edit: Actually before anyone thinks I'm trying to big dick the room this is my box. Robin was my starter and I don't think I have a lot of good characters otherwise.

My box FE:H 2/28/17 https://imgur.com/gallery/oG4Pj

Agoat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 28, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i don't think that math is quite right. it should take slightly fewer stones to pull a banner 5* since those units appear both in the focus list and in the general 5* list, and the rate for both those categories is the same

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Does the fact that the colors other than red has a smaller pool to pick from change the rate?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't think that math is quite right. it should take slightly fewer stones to pull a banner 5* since those units appear both in the focus list and in the general 5* list, and the rate for both those categories is the same

None of the current banner units appear in the general pool of 5*

Tired Moritz posted:

Does the fact that the colors other than red has a smaller pool to pick from change the rate?

The rates are fixed regardless of the orb color you choose, so no. It does affect the chances you roll a specific unit though

Also, since there is no green banner unit currently you cannot roll anything under that focus, so you are setting yourself up for pain by rolling green

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 28, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What's up with animations playing for 3-star non-banner units like Robin? Is it just because he was on an old banner, but I thought that only happened for 5 star ones?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 28, 2017

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
It plays for the character because he's in Smash brothers

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

None of the current banner units appear in the general pool of 5*

Whoops! In that case the chance to roll a banner unit is exactly the same as to roll a 5* non-banner unit. And in practice you should be able to get one from this banner for fewer stones than the greater 5* pool, since you can pass on all green orbs.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

ChronoReverse posted:

So it's looking like I was wrong and the server may really be accepting client-side information. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me but incompetence knows no bounds.

Is there any details on this (just out of sheer curiosity sounds incredible) cause a mobage trusting client-side data on anything beyond DID YOU BEAT LEVEL??? seems hilarious level of stupid.

Having hard time wrapping my head around how that could even remotely be possible lmao

Edit:

So apparently (just hearsay so far), Waifus are stored Client-side and only Orbs are server-side. Meaning there is potential to just memory-edit your box and it gets accepted by the server because that data is assumed to be held client-side. Using this assumption, this probably means that feathers are also stored client-side and accepted by the servers as well.

If any of it is true (still really hard to think Nintendo could be this dumb) godddammmnnnnnnnn

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 28, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I thought arena was supposed to be stratified on stats?

Why am I running into +9 Takumis?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also are iOS users hosed when it comes to stat modding units and other hacking?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought arena was supposed to be stratified on stats?

Why am I running into +9 Takumis?

Of course its not, why would they punish whales for spending money? That would be extremely counter productive.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I see a lot of hackers with 2 +9 Takumis or whatever, but they still all fall to Nino.

All will fall to Nino.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

jokes posted:

I see a lot of hackers with 2 +9 Takumis or whatever, but they still all fall to Nino,

All will fall to Nino.

"hackers"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wait, do people actually spend $40,000 on these mobile games? I imagined a whale would spend like maybe $1000.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

jokes posted:

Wait, do people actually spend $40,000 on these mobile games? I imagined a whale would spend like maybe $1000.

They do yes, I think some people are well above the 100k mark for PAD and FFBE at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Whales fund 90% of mobile games while being like 1% of the user base.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

jokes posted:

There is a dude on youtube who has filmed himself rolling over 8000 orbs, 6000 of which were spent chasing hectors. That's 4.2K alone, and he's probably spent way more than that off camera. This guy is a minnow compared to japanese whales.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, that's why I wasn't convinced by the existence of +10's in the arena as evidence of hacking. It's common knowledge that the true whales of gacha game do in fact spend that much.

But it seems like Nintendo may have actually dropped the ball here. I still believe this is extremely easy to detect though so I'd expect a partial fix to come out soon enough.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
That's incredibly amateurish and kinda killed any remaining enthusiasm I have for the PVP

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

That's incredibly amateurish and kinda killed any remaining enthusiasm I have for the PVP

Who gives a gently caress

Just duel

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Who gives a gently caress

Just duel

*Nervously accepts 7th duel. Opponent is four 10X merged Takumis*

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The AI in this game is such dogshit that who even cares about who your opponent is. I've lost like 6 arena matches ever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

The AI in this game is such dogshit that who even cares about who your opponent is. I've lost like 6 arena matches ever.

Losing a single unit is a loss.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

jokes posted:

Roughly 2% of F2P players actually spend money on the typical mobile game. A fraction of them are whales who make the business model viable. Some Japanese mobile games with certain niche licenses have high APRU (average revenue per user) but they're the exception.

Pokemon Go was unusual in that it had a wide range of players buying in-game items. It's the World of Warcraft of mobile games so it sort of follows its own rules. Fire Emblem Heroes probably has more of a traditional APRU.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Andrast posted:

Losing a single unit is a loss.

You lost by playing the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

UchihaHirou posted:

You lost by playing the game.

True

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Sunning posted:

Roughly 2% of F2P players actually spend money on the typical mobile game. A fraction of them are whales who make the business model viable. Some Japanese mobile games with certain niche licenses have high APRU (average revenue per user) but they're the exception.

Pokemon Go was unusual in that it had a wide range of players buying in-game items. It's the World of Warcraft of mobile games so it sort of follows its own rules. Fire Emblem Heroes probably has more of a traditional APRU.

I feel like if you offered a compelling subscription benefit for 2-5 dollars a month you could probably get more people paying for a game like this one.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

*Nervously accepts 7th duel. Opponent is four 10X merged Takumis*

How many times have you actually experienced this

Also is it even possible to run into that kind of team given how Arena matchmaking works in FEH?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty much every new mobile game I've played this year had rampant hacking. They don't seem to really care at launch and try to catch them post-release I guess.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

akulanization posted:

I feel like if you offered a compelling subscription benefit for 2-5 dollars a month you could probably get more people paying for a game like this one.

Whales are spending like 100-300$ a week why would they gently caress that up with a tiny monthly subscription model.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is there any evidence of people hacking other than a dude in this thread seeing a +10 takumi and going "hacking!!"

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

How many times have you actually experienced this

Also is it even possible to run into that kind of team given how Arena matchmaking works in FEH?

Sure, why not? I run into teams with 5*+5s with my team that can barely break 4400 points. I'm sure when you are reaching close to or beyond the 4600 mark you can run into full teams of 5*+10s.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Whales are spending like 100-300$ a week why would they gently caress that up with a tiny monthly subscription model.

Because it doesn't stop the whale from whaling when you get a bunch of other people to spend a small amount of money. People are idiots and will chase Hector or whatever to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars but for every dude who does that there's another few dozen guys who'd like to have a stamina meter that doesn't overflow if you have a normal sleep or work schedule. If you let people pay a little to get more feathers, exp, and stamina you'd still get dumbasses throwing away a month's worth of living expenses for a family of 4 on chasing the ~ultra rare character~.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is there any evidence of people hacking other than a dude in this thread seeing a +10 takumi and going "hacking!!"

Yes, people can pretty freely edit the client-side data for levels/stars/crystals/etc.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yes. YouTube videos too.

I've only run into one crazy fused team so far out of several hundred matches (finished the lunatic arena quests a week ago). That's not too bad imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Somebody hacked Ursula into their game I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I got Lachesis. Her voice doesn't fit and her face is deformed. Also I don't use healers so meh.

What's the best way to use Nino? Have as much Spur and Rally units around her?