Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Xeremides posted:

The camera randomly zooming out during a fight is getting annoying.

I keep thinking that I've somehow dropped targeting/defensive stance and then I hit ctrl and actually do it and I get murdered for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just fell for the quit to desktop button at the end of a match. Why would you put that in place where quit to menu was for the last few weeks?

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
According to Scott Jund ( https://www.twitch.tv/scottjund ), Orochi only has 2 viable attacks - top light, and zone. Mixing those two attacks with guardbreaks is all he does, and he's drat good at it. The left/right dodge attacks are too easy for a skilled opponent to parry. Same with riptide strike, side lights, and all heavies. He only uses heavies and riptide strike to feint, or a confirmed overhead heavy on a guardbreak.

I will admit, his play style is boring as hell, but it's a product of the environment. All high level duels are very boring right now. Nearly all characters seem to be like this; they only have 2 or 3 viable attacks against high skill opponents because the game has such a strong emphasis on defense. Doing anything slower than your fastest available attack will get you punished nearly 100% of the time. I think Warden would be in the same situation without his shoulder rush and crushing counter. Top light and zone are crazy fast and are the only tools you can use to catch good players off guard.

The game is still a lot of fun for me because I'm nowhere near the top tier players (and likely never will be), but unless Ubisoft makes some serious changes the competitive scene is going to die quickly.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

FunkMonkey posted:

If I played Kensei at all I would wear nothing but that golden crab on my head forever and always.

I had a hard time choosing which class to play based on that crab or the frog. Samurai seriously have simultaneously the best and worst emblems. Onyx Bull for Shugoki, Crab, Frog, and almost all of Nobushis little animals are great.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dartonus posted:

Having tested this with a friend, I can confirm that Nobushi can in fact change their attack angle while in hidden stance. Can't Block or Parry, so it's mainly useful for switching up how you attack from the stance.

...Oh and because someone had the brilliant idea to tie Hidden Stance to down on the Right Stick this only applies to Keyboard where you can hold C (by default) and wiggle the mouse to your heart's content. Maybe it'll sorta work if you rapidly flick the stick on controller? I dunno.

Honestly I thought that was the main thing about hidden stance, use it as an opener or after disengaging/extending because the other guy won't see where your guard is until you swing.

I tried using a PS4 controller on my PC and while it worked fine I kept running into a "oh god what button is that" problem. I'll just deal with deflection being a pain with WASD+space and maybe work at learning the controller layout from the ground up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Orochis zone attack is even stronger when you realise that It flashes top for a micro second before the attack comes out. So in essence it's a 0 cost feint and an attack all in one :thumbsup:

https://g.redditmedia.com/SQR8Qn1Zm...4f80925bfe80daa

poo poo like this combined with PK really just makes me want to uninstall. I'm not having fun any more because of ubi having no clue what the gently caress they're doing. Buffing the already strongest heroes in the game while giving the under performing ones nothing. ZA bugs, stamina knock down bugs, unlock parry and double hit bugs. Lawbringer, Kensei and Raider are pretty much unusable except for gimmick kills in 4v4 modes.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
It flashed top because he's in top stance. It's the same deal with Warden. Most of them will stay in top stance and feint, get you used to that, and then they can throw out their ZA, which is always ______ side (their right, my left?).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This game is a fuckin' mess at higher levels and gets totally degenerate. It's still a lot of fun at average-level though but fighting game veterans in the top 5% should avoid it. Basically anyone who seriously learned a character in Virtua Fighter is gonna end up in a place where they won't like how this plays. That's my hot take based purely on anecdotal evidence.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Xeremides posted:

It flashed top because he's in top stance. It's the same deal with Warden. Most of them will stay in top stance and feint, get you used to that, and then they can throw out their ZA, which is always ______ side (their right, my left?).

The thing is he's not feinting. Not manually. They're not cancelling out a heavy into a zone attack. It's just a straight zone attack which flashes in the wrong direction due to a bug with the directional indicators. You can't tell if people are doing it accidentally or intentionally and ubi hasn't shown any indication that they've even acknowledged it. Peacekeepers can throw out unblockable 18 frame zone attacks with the directional glitch and cancel them into a dodge or bleed.

What does anyone else get? hosed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They just had a dev stream on twitch, lawman and raider slated for buffs, warlord likely getting nerfed some, PK isn't being looked at because they're apparently not "top tier" and they wanna see what happens to their win rate after their bleed was fixed first, they're looking at the stupid revenge gain on gear stuff, also apparently debuff resist messing with tech windows was a bug and is being stomped out.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

They just had a dev stream on twitch, lawman and raider slated for buffs, warlord likely getting nerfed some, PK isn't being looked at because they're apparently not "top tier" and they wanna see what happens to their win rate after their bleed was fixed first, they're looking at the stupid revenge gain on gear stuff, also apparently debuff resist messing with tech windows was a bug and is being stomped out.

Jesus. Peacekeeper isn't even strong because of her GB bleed. She can wreck you with nothing but light attacks and light bleeds from heavy hits. My guess is one of the devs is biased because he plays PK so doesn't want it nerfed like what happens with WoW balance.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Yardbomb posted:

Halle-loving-lujah

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

The "indicator bug" I'm not sure is really a bug. Unironically, it's a feature.

I think it's a by-product of the input buffer trying to interpret R1+R2 as a zone attack. If the button inputs aren't at exactly the same time, the input buffer will allow the zone attack to happen anyway, but also briefly displaying an attack in whatever direction your guard was before the ZA comes out. It's basically the input buffer changing its mind after confirming the R1+R2 input.

Doesn't make me very confident that it will ever be "fixed", because it might technically be working as designed. :eng99:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Jesus. Peacekeeper isn't even strong because of her GB bleed. She can wreck you with nothing but light attacks and light bleeds from heavy hits. My guess is one of the devs is biased because he plays PK so doesn't want it nerfed like what happens with WoW balance.

This is why every game should have like one person in charge of balance. Like ice frog.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Pearnicious posted:

According to Scott Jund ( https://www.twitch.tv/scottjund ), Orochi only has 2 viable attacks - top light, and zone. Mixing those two attacks with guardbreaks is all he does, and he's drat good at it. The left/right dodge attacks are too easy for a skilled opponent to parry. Same with riptide strike, side lights, and all heavies. He only uses heavies and riptide strike to feint, or a confirmed overhead heavy on a guardbreak.

I will admit, his play style is boring as hell, but it's a product of the environment. All high level duels are very boring right now. Nearly all characters seem to be like this; they only have 2 or 3 viable attacks against high skill opponents because the game has such a strong emphasis on defense. Doing anything slower than your fastest available attack will get you punished nearly 100% of the time. I think Warden would be in the same situation without his shoulder rush and crushing counter. Top light and zone are crazy fast and are the only tools you can use to catch good players off guard.

The game is still a lot of fun for me because I'm nowhere near the top tier players (and likely never will be), but unless Ubisoft makes some serious changes the competitive scene is going to die quickly.

I dunno, if UBI doesn't get rid of unlocking / unparryable stuff, we are going to see some serious meta shifts. I haven't test the new Valk yet but Valk before could "maybe" confirm a whole string of light attacks. With the new speeds, she might be able to go top light, top light, side heavy before you leave hitstun. I haven't experimented much with her but based on what little I know, she could be a Marvel versus Capcom character in a Street Fighter game.

I fully expect higher level play to start involving unlocking stuff, cause you can use it to make chains combo. I got the second light attack to be guaranteed off of a shove for Lawbringer. With a much harsher timing and a few more stipulations, I think I can sneak the 3rd heavy attack in there too before hitstun. No one was too impressed with an 8 damage confirm, what about 38?

Hypha fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 28, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Doltos posted:

I just fell for the quit to desktop button at the end of a match. Why would you put that in place where quit to menu was for the last few weeks?

gently caress I knew something was up. I did that twice today.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Raider Buffs :allears:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Pearnicious posted:

The "indicator bug" I'm not sure is really a bug. Unironically, it's a feature.

Doesn't make me very confident that it will ever be "fixed", because it might technically be working as designed. :eng99:

That would mean that assassins are broken by accident due to sloppy game design. I think that might honestly be worse. They're the only class (& warden) that can take advantage of it because of their superior attack speed and if you don't know about it then there's literally nothing you can do to stop it. Only blocking in one direction leaves you open to attacks from the top & left that come out faster than you can change your guard so it's not even a real solution :psyduck:

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The thing is he's not feinting. Not manually. They're not cancelling out a heavy into a zone attack. It's just a straight zone attack which flashes in the wrong direction due to a bug with the directional indicators. You can't tell if people are doing it accidentally or intentionally and ubi hasn't shown any indication that they've even acknowledged it. Peacekeepers can throw out unblockable 18 frame zone attacks with the directional glitch and cancel them into a dodge or bleed.

On the bright side, Lawbringer can do it, too.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Xeremides posted:

On the bright side, Lawbringer can do it, too.

Shame Lawbringer's zone attack comes out at the speed of snails.

Also, here's a Cool Bug.

He's walking straight at me to gently caress me up while I literally cannot do anything, I can't even open the pause menu.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Most of the zone attacks have fairly distinct animations if you try to watch for animations instead of guard indicators.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

INSERT PICTURE

That's Ubisofts patented "Dishonor Detection System".

Should have bowed before the fight, dawg.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Not a bug per se... I think the servers are down again lmao

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

satanic splash-back posted:

Most of the zone attacks have fairly distinct animations if you try to watch for animations instead of guard indicators.

Did you watch this movie? https://g.redditmedia.com/SQR8Qn1Zm...4f80925bfe80daa The character literally does the top attack animation then instantly transitions into the zone attack animation.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

Did you watch this movie? The character literally does the top attack animation then instantly transitions into the zone attack animation.

Right, but he's saying to look at the model, and not the arrow. Orochi was pretty clearly doing a zone attack, but you'll miss that if you're only looking for red arrows. Granted, it's a Nobushi, and changing guard with her feels like steering a bus.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Xeremides posted:

That's Ubisofts patented "Dishonor Detection System".

Should have bowed before the fight, dawg.

I finally found someone last night who for reals no joke attempted to bow before the duel, and I speared him off the cliff behind him during the attempt. I didn't even realise what had happened and thought he was just unprepared for my rush until he exploded at me in chat afterwards. I wish I had had the presence of mind to capture the chat window at the time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I dueled a Kensei as a Bonkerer last night and it was a bunch of real close fights and we just kept spamming Wow! at each other with every free moment, it was great

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Happens with Wardens sweep and PK's move as well. It's the most infuriating poo poo, because you reflexively go top to block and then you can't react fast enough to block the actual attack. I always lose so much damage to that bullshit because 9 times out of 10 it flashes top. I've had people complain ingame claiming my Orochi has that happen too: "What the gently caress, it showed the attack coming from top but then came from the side" "Yeah, my bad man, Ubi hasn't stated whether it's intended or a bug".

Watching ScottJund makes me sad. Basically everything but top lights and zone are worth doing in high level play, which is a bummer. If that's what high level play is like, gently caress that, I'd get bored so quick.

This AlphaStrike guy is so loving relaxing to watch. His mixups as Kensei are god drat inspiring. https://www.twitch.tv/alphastrike6

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Someone a few pages back said they had never been hit by a PK's zone attack, and I just have to call bullshit. They probably just didn't recognize it as a zone attack because it's so drat fast it looks like one of her light attacks. You'll never see a PK do the full zone attack in a duel because they cancel it after the first hit. For the second hit she does a 360 spin to take out a bunch of targets in a wide arc, but that's really only for soldiers in dominion. Would be a free punish if done in a duel.

I guarantee if you have faced a PK with more than 2 brain cells to rub together, you've been smacked by a zone attack.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'd rather deal with all these zone attacks and revenge gear and whatever than these conquerors running the fast revive set. So frustrating to play against.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pearnicious posted:

Someone a few pages back said they had never been hit by a PK's zone attack, and I just have to call bullshit. They probably just didn't recognize it as a zone attack because it's so drat fast it looks like one of her light attacks. You'll never see a PK do the full zone attack in a duel because they cancel it after the first hit. For the second hit she does a 360 spin to take out a bunch of targets in a wide arc, but that's really only for soldiers in dominion. Would be a free punish if done in a duel.

I guarantee if you have faced a PK with more than 2 brain cells to rub together, you've been smacked by a zone attack.

Not gonna lie, the first PK zone attack I came across was yesterday and I've had the game since launch. Since then, every PK I fight has done it. I've fought a poo poo tonne of PKs but a majority of them were in 4v4, so maybe they didn't bother to use it then for some reason.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Loopoo posted:

This AlphaStrike guy is so loving relaxing to watch. His mixups as Kensei are god drat inspiring. https://www.twitch.tv/alphastrike6

Dat voice is super chill.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im telling you guys, Berserkers. You'll lose over and over to smart players but no PKs are smart and even if they are you can still spam them down easy with side steps.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Doltos posted:

Im telling you guys, Berserkers. You'll lose over and over to smart players but no PKs are smart and even if they are you can still spam them down easy with side steps.

How does this help me if I don't want my success to depend on picking a class based on prevalence of another class?

I mean is the balance in this game supposed to be rock paper scissors?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

signalnoise posted:

How does this help me if I don't want my success to depend on picking a class based on prevalence of another class?

I mean is the balance in this game supposed to be rock paper scissors?

There isn't a class in this game that can't beat the other classes in a 1v1 hth

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
As a berserker main you should only play berserker because they get a plaid shirt for armor.

Berserker is the weakest character now that valk's been buffed. His tool set is essentially gb's, deflects, and excessive feigning.

Dodging to the side makes you a prime target for a parry/counter. If you're fighting a pk that can't deal with side attacks than that's a pk that can be beaten with anyone.

To further specify I'm at a MMR where I'm starting to fight streamers and it's hell. I spend most fights spinning my right stick around in a circle.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Conquerer and Warlord are great against PK and decent-to-good against everything else. Perfect Defense turns out to be really, really good against assassins that spam light attacks.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

fadam posted:

I'd rather deal with all these zone attacks and revenge gear and whatever than these conquerors running the fast revive set. So frustrating to play against.

Yeah, it seems like all of the gear stats are a little too potent right now.

I think all heavy classes get a "speed revive" passive feat for their first slot in 4v4 modes. Stacking the revive speed gear on top of it gets them nearly instantaneous revives, it's insane. Makes it mandatory to babysit enemy corpses because they can revive them even in the middle of combat if you ease up on them for half a second. Also makes executions and environmental kills much more valuable.

On the topic of gear:

Honestly I'm okay with gear stats existing in the game, but they REALLY should have taken that into account during matchmaking. If all players in the game had roughly equal gear scores it would be more interesting. Someone with max attack versus someone with max defense should theoretically be an even match, so you would have to weigh your gear options a little more carefully. Throwing everyone into a game without taking gear into account gets you the current iteration of 4v4 stupidity.

The one good thing about gear imbalance is that it's easymode for salt mining. The very first 4v4 I played after finally getting purple gear I won a 3v1 (by abusing revenge of course) and at the end of the round I immediately get called a "pay 2 win fag."

My cardiologist says salt isn't good for my blood pressure, but goddamn is it tasty!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Boy fighting a team of peacekeepers sure is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Just don't get hit ever. So easy.