Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sorry I forgot who posted about doing a celibate run, but holy crap is it ever fun to turn down Liara and Kaidan in ME1. Would pay real money for DLC of their LiveJournal posts that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Good god the way this guy plays the game triggers me so much

Game is looking good tho

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Angarans look like they do more pull-ups than James Vega and have never heard of leg day.

god I hate these dumb muscle dogs

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

precision posted:

Sorry I forgot who posted about doing a celibate run, but holy crap is it ever fun to turn down Liara and Kaidan in ME1. Would pay real money for DLC of their LiveJournal posts that day.

It was me and every iteration of it is good. ME2: Tali and big butt Aussie lady are a blast to turn down. Even better is leading on with dialogue choices and then pulling a 180 last minute. Double fun if you do it to a gay character and stop last minute.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Glenn Quebec posted:

Double fun if you do it to a gay character and stop last minute.

Then doing it to a Krogan must be quadruple fun.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Why does Cora look like a grandma who's trying to be hip?

Illusive man's sister/waifu/other daughter needs a makeover already.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Firebert posted:

god I hatelove these dumb muscle dogs

I hope they evolved such super powerful arms because they are descended from giant sloths or all played "the floor is lava" as kids.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tali and Miranda's romances: Not Even Once. I have never done them and don't wanna. And yes I've done Jack's. More than once.

I did do a trilogy run where I remained celibate until Kaidan was comfortable coming out of the closet in 3. That was actually done very well if you go that route, though I suspect very few players played as DudeShep and turned down everyone because they were saving themselves for, of all people, Kaidan

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I can't follow the link, but I can guess its Sara's weird surprised look at the beginning. And yeah, that was like the only part of the video I didn't like.

Which is disappointing, cause there are shots out there where she looks good to me, and I played mainly male!Shep so I wanted to play as Sis!Ryder this time.

Edit:
But if this were a scene in the original trilogy, I bet they would be stone faced neutral throughout that scene

Yea, it's when the ship rocked and she just kind of turned like a weird marionette. I'd upload the gif instead of imgur is having problems thanks to something something Amazon servers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think the way to fix the face of Sara Ryder is to add on Zaeed levels of scarring in the character creator. That way it looks normal when the animations for facial expressions are off.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

PureRok posted:

Yea, it's when the ship rocked and she just kind of turned like a weird marionette. I'd upload the gif instead of imgur is having problems thanks to something something Amazon servers.

Watching it again with audio, I can understand what they were going for

We need to track that Remnant Signal but the Tempest can't land safely.

Well Peebee has an idea how to get down!

Cue escape pod jettisoning and Ryder being like "Oh god dammit. Peebee, no!"

It's supposed to be funny and so Ryder should be making a humorous surprised face, but it still looks off for some reason

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

Watching it again with audio, I can understand what they were going for

We need to track that Remnant Signal but the Tempest can't land safely.

Well Peebee has an idea how to get down!

Cue escape pod jettisoning and Ryder being like "Oh god dammit. Peebee, no!"

It's supposed to be funny and so Ryder should be making a humorous surprised face, but it still looks off for some reason

This but with looney tunes sound effects.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Staggering and thinking "You're killing me Peebs." is pretty much what I pick up from that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

precision posted:

I did do a trilogy run where I remained celibate until Kaidan was comfortable coming out of the closet in 3. That was actually done very well if you go that route, though I suspect very few players played as DudeShep and turned down everyone because they were saving themselves for, of all people, Kaidan

I did that because I'm a gay dude who is sick of having his male characters romance the women. I had a blast playing ME1 and ME2 regardless, and was just pleasantly surprised that they introduced a gay male romance in ME3.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

precision posted:

Tali and Miranda's romances: Not Even Once. I have never done them and don't wanna. And yes I've done Jack's. More than once.

Kaidan was a lot better written and incredibly useful in ME3, so it's a shame only like 17% even had him alive.

I don't know that I was saving myself for him, but everybody else who hits on Shep seems to have fresh emotional scars. You want to put the moves on Jack right after a tour through her nightmarish childhood, go for it. I'll opt for the dude who apparently worked through his sexual frustration by spending many more hours at the gym.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the part in the new gameplay video where Drack jetpacks into the fight and smacks a raider with a hammer owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kaidan was also better written than Ashley in ME1 but most people sent him to die anyway, despite Ash being the "I'm a Soldier, dying in battle is my middle name".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about ME1 is that apart from the nuclear bomb planet and the start there was no strong reason to use either Ashley or Kaidan when you had the likes of Wrex, Garrus, Liara and Tali kicking around your ship.

Alien characters were far more interesting even for the dialogue alone.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

precision posted:

Kaidan was also better written than Ashley in ME1 but most people sent him to die anyway, despite Ash being the "I'm a Soldier, dying in battle is my middle name".

Yeah, but he's not a girl.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always buttered Ash up and then sent her to die because she's a racist she might as well die saving aliens.

Then I hooked up with Tali in ME2.

In ME3, actually, I didn't know Kaiden could be a romance option for ManShep, so I was being super buddy buddy with him and friendly and poo poo and then he started actually hitting on me and it got super awkward. I actually felt bad for having to let him down because I absolutely did not mean to try and romance him by accident.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seems like maybe they had initially planned on spacing out the rate at which you get your squad in ME1, because yeah considering you recruit everyone but Liara before you even leave the Citadel there is literally no mechanical reason to use Ash or Kaidan, because Wrex and Garrus do everything Ash does (and more). Kaidan is a bit more useful since he gets both Overload and Warp, which is good if you pick Soldier or Adept for Shepard because it means you can roll with two/three Biotics, which trivializes 99% of the entire game's combat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kaidan vs. Ashley ended up being like Carly vs. Doug in the Walking Dead. Are most Mass Effect players gonna save the hot chick with a gun or a sweaty dude? Kaidan ended up being a much better character in ME3 after he was given a healthy dose of PTSD but either way, assassinating the Virmire survivor in the Citadel coup is far more hosed up and interesting.

precision posted:

It seems like maybe they had initially planned on spacing out the rate at which you get your squad in ME1, because yeah considering you recruit everyone but Liara before you even leave the Citadel there is literally no mechanical reason to use Ash or Kaidan, because Wrex and Garrus do everything Ash does (and more). Kaidan is a bit more useful since he gets both Overload and Warp, which is good if you pick Soldier or Adept for Shepard because it means you can roll with two/three Biotics, which trivializes 99% of the entire game's combat.

The Citadel in ME1 was clearly designed with the expectation that players wouldn't try to 100% all of the content before leaving for the story missions and come back a little bit at a time to do more quests + recruit characters, which ended up being a severe misjudgment on Bioware's part.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 28, 2017

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

yeah but carly wasn't an annoying racist

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Garrus is pretty squishy when you first get him, but Wrex immediately more than replaces Ashley, yeah.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

assassinating the Virmire survivor in the Citadel coup is far more hosed up and interesting.

poo poo you can do that? I would've iced Ashley right there for the constant "I don't know you! Cerberus!" yapping.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

exquisite tea posted:

Kaidan vs. Ashley ended up being like Carly vs. Doug in the Walking Dead. Are most Mass Effect players gonna save the hot chick with a gun or a sweaty dude? Kaidan ended up being a much better character in ME3 after he was given a healthy dose of PTSD but either way, assassinating the Virmire survivor in the Citadel coup is far more hosed up and interesting.

Eh. Solid bro vs space racist.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Neither of them were as fun to talk to as Wrex or Garrus, but Kaidan's story was waaay more interesting than Ashley's sister.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Torrannor posted:

I did that because I'm a gay dude who is sick of having his male characters romance the women. I had a blast playing ME1 and ME2 regardless, and was just pleasantly surprised that they introduced a gay male romance in ME3.

Yeah. Considering how starved we were for any kind of gay content when I was growing up, it struck a chord with me that something like this is really available.

I think the Kaidan romance is more than slightly uneven, but the goodbye scenes really got me. You just don't get anything like that, a serious, dramatic love scene between two male leads, in other media.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In ME1

Kaiden is just kind of boring. You want the interesting biotic you talk to Liara, though at that stage she's an awful character as well. You want good backstory you talk to Wrex. You want the best characters you just stick with Shotgun Bro Tali, Garrus and Wrex.

Kaiden is just 'eh. He's there. He exists. He has a backstory I guess but who gives a poo poo, he's Kaiden.

Ash is straight up a vocal space racist and annoying. That's worse than being boring. I can take Kaiden on a mission and ignore that he exists. Ash won't shut the gently caress up about how racist she is.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think Garrus and Wrex and Tali would have been the more popular crew members even if they hadn't been aliens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kavak posted:

poo poo you can do that? I would've iced Ashley right there for the constant "I don't know you! Cerberus!" yapping.

Yes, it's just that the conditions for it happening are uncommon. The best ways of triggering it are to have both Kirrahe and Thane dead in your save and to not visit Kaidan/Ashley in the hospital while they are recovering, although the checks for this are quite elaborate. Just another example of how all the really twisted + cool permutations in ME3 result from choices that very few people would have made.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

homullus posted:

I think Garrus and Wrex and Tali would have been the more popular crew members even if they hadn't been aliens.

I guess proof of that is how Zaeed is one of the most popular ME2 squadmates.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the last time they did analytics on this Liara (yes) was by far the most popular ME squadmate.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lycus posted:

I guess proof of that is how Zaeed is one of the most popular ME2 squadmates.

but zaeed owns?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Torrannor posted:

I did this too and for the exact same reason, and it was awesome.

oh boy this IGN footage has me worried that this game is going to be dragon age inquisition in space, right down to some awkwardly paced and written cut scenes - but I'm still hopeful.

The way the person is playing in the new IGN preview footage during the combat sections is hilariously annoying but oh boy does the combat look like it's going to be super fun when done properly.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 28, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think the last time they did analytics on this Liara (yes) was by far the most popular ME squadmate.

She's a cute nerd, and it's not like she has any competition at all. Maybe from Garrus, I guess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Liara is a great character

When she becomes the Shadow Broker

Before that she's just the most nerd bait thing in the world.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

QUALITY

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
now play it at full speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

marshmallow creep posted:

You ever wonder what being an asari must be like and how annoying it must be to clean those crevices in the top and back of your head? Asari biotic training must include learning to do the equivalent of Traynor's element zero toothbrush for just everything back there.
You can overhear asari shampoo commercials on Thessia.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

lmao i like how they talk about female armour havin to be slicker/"slicker" as if bioware thinks mass effect is a real place and they dont just design women to have skintight space suits to feed to their fandom
I like how it "was a lot of fun to model" Cora's Image Comics brokeback pose.

Zzulu posted:

I don't mind PeeBee and I haven't heard a satisfactory reason for why so many people are upset about her
If your character's name is one letter off from peepee you hosed something up.

Like call her Pelly or something, jesus.

PureRok posted:

I want a squad mate that's made up of nothing but gas. Like those dudes in Star Control 2 (Edit: Slylandro). Have float around in a bubble or something. There, no animation effort needed.

:liara: "Embrace eternity."

:shroom: "Juffo-Wup fills in my fibers and I am turgid."