Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Zur the Enchanter re-print. Imgur is acting up for me or I'd just post the picture

http://mythicspoiler.com/mm3/cards/zurtheenchanter.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

It appears that these boxes are being heavily printed and aren't limited to WPN stores. They will show up at walmart, ETC. Hoarding is not a concern like it was with the first one.

I hope you're right friend

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm really curious as to what Blood Moon would do to the limited meta if it's as :supaburn: COLOURS :supaburn: as it looks. I'd love for that to be a possible draft archetype

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

It appears that these boxes are being heavily printed and aren't limited to WPN stores. They will show up at walmart, ETC. Hoarding is not a concern like it was with the first one.

I don't think Wal Mart wants to be selling 10 bucks a pack MTG products...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Wal Mart wants to be selling 10 bucks a pack MTG products...

LOL?

Walmart doesn't give a gently caress what the price are. Walmart just sells you poo poo you want to buy. They don't give a gently caress about the morality of inflated msrp for masters sealed products.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

I heard that about EMA too, I'm pretty sure.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Walmart/Target/etc also doesn't sell that stuff directly and it's usually some weird distributor deal. That's why you see those plastic cases with 4 commander decks every now and then. Lol if this means they don't sell enough that you see them in a repackaged box with a promo card and 2 other boosters for $10 later.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

LOL?

Walmart doesn't give a gently caress what the price are. Walmart just sells you poo poo you want to buy. They don't give a gently caress about the morality of inflated msrp for masters sealed products.

LOL I'm not making a morality argument. I'm saying that they are selling to casuals who don't know why they should be buying this 10 dollar pack vs a 4 dollar pack of a standard set.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

odiv posted:

I heard that about EMA too, I'm pretty sure.

You can still get EMA for MSRP or sometimes even less, so yeah. And just look what that did to the prices of a ton of legacy/commander staples - it was a pretty goddamn great set.

If they can keep that going steady for MM17 I'll be ecstatic.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

The Shortest Path posted:

You can still get EMA for MSRP or sometimes even less, so yeah. And just look what that did to the prices of a ton of legacy/commander staples - it was a pretty goddamn great set.

If they can keep that going steady for MM17 I'll be ecstatic.

EMA getting a surprise second print run was a warning shot against speculating these types of sets too. I think it was to send the message to sellers and distributors that WotC is still the ultimate gatekeeper of supply.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

LOL I'm not making a morality argument. I'm saying that they are selling to casuals who don't know why they should be buying this 10 dollar pack vs a 4 dollar pack of a standard set.

Nah actually the distributors of card and miniature games products buy the shelf space in big box stores like Wal-Mart by the foot ahead of time and stock the shelves themselves with whatever they want, they typically don't sell merchandise directly to the retailer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I guess I should just go ahead and bite the bullet on $35 Snaps then since it's mythic? :sigh:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Soul Glo posted:

I guess I should just go ahead and bite the bullet on $35 Snaps then since it's mythic? :sigh:

It will likely still go down a bit

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Soul Glo posted:

I think you can do better, maybe wait for $25-$30 before they immediately bounce back. People will be fire-saleing anything that's getting re-printed so you can probably get a playset for < $120 on a Facebook group or something.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah definitely wait until about one month after the set actually drops, that tends to be the lowest point for chase card prices. Saffron Olive wrote a thing about it

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah definitely wait until about one month after the set actually drops, that tends to be the lowest point for chase card prices. Saffron Olive wrote a thing about it

Ah ok. Got the article handy? Like to see his data/reasoning. There's quite a bit I'd like to pick up from MM17.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This set already has more uncommons worth more than $1 than MM15 had in the entire set.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Soul Glo posted:

Ah ok. Got the article handy? Like to see his data/reasoning. There's quite a bit I'd like to pick up from MM17.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/modern-on-sale

SPBKASO is magic's best content creator imo

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That is really sweet art

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I mean yeah, and then boxes will crest $300+ as people horde them and getting cards will becoming harder thus driving up the prices negating the entire reason for re-printing the set in the first place.

Reprints don't increase prices. That's MTG Troll Finance.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm the hand doing :rock: in the corner

e:

Angry Grimace posted:

Reprints don't increase prices. That's MTG Troll Finance.

Yeah the price only goes up if the ratio of supply to demand goes down. For a reprint to increase prices it would need to create a ton more demand than was printed.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This was exactly the answer I was looking for when asking what is the best time to to buy. Thank you very much to who ever said when the prices are the lowest. You are a second tier financial wizard.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sit on my Facebook posted:

That is really sweet art

Yeah.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm a little annoyed at snap being mythic.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah the price only goes up if the ratio of supply to demand goes down. For a reprint to increase prices it would need to create a ton more demand than was printed.

This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at it. Yeah, I mean it's technically correct, and reprints don't increase prices in the short term, but a reprint like this can increase demand at a greater rate in the long term by doing things like attracting new players to Modern, which can increase total demand in excess of the increase in supply. That's Wizards' goal--not just to sell $10 packs, but to also encourage more players to play modern by temporarily lowering the cost barrier for entry.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is $200 for a set of Commander 2016 decks the best you're going to find online now?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Is $200 for a set of Commander 2016 decks the best you're going to find online now?

What the absolute gently caress? Did Wizards forget to print those at reasonable quantities or something?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

What the absolute gently caress? Did Wizards forget to print those at reasonable quantities or something?

Atraxa is probably driving that poo poo up. All the others can be found for like 30 bucks but her pack is like 75-80

Also 180 at Card Kingdom: http://www.cardkingdom.com/mtg-sealed/commander-2016-set-of-five

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

They're OOP now and most places are gouging up to $235 or so.

Two of the decks individually are $80+

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm a little annoyed at snap being mythic.

I'd be more annoyed if Snapcaster Mage was much more than $35.

PJOmega posted:

They're OOP now and most places are gouging up to $235 or so.

Two of the decks individually are $80+

They had that at Target the other day but I didn't buy it because I don't play EDH and would probably never get around to cashing it out. I still kind of regret not buying it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pr0digal posted:

Atraxa is probably driving that poo poo up. All the others can be found for like 30 bucks but her pack is like 75-80

Also 180 at Card Kingdom: http://www.cardkingdom.com/mtg-sealed/commander-2016-set-of-five

Thank you kindly. Was surprised when Potomac Distribution of all places quoted me over $200.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PJOmega posted:

I got a set of five for $115 on Massdrop back in December, did the prices skyrocket that fast?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Doesn't atraxa see play in nic fit?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

What are the odds on a Mishra's Bauble reprint? It's perfect for a deck I'm building, but $200 for a playset is nuts.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ersatz posted:

What are the odds on a Mishra's Bauble reprint? It's perfect for a deck I'm building, but $200 for a playset is nuts.

I have some good news for you!

It's only $140 for a playset :suicide:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

What is going to be the Surrakar Spellblade of this set? A bulk rare that isn't played anywhere and is also unplayable in draft and not supported by any archetypes.

I also loved Dragonstorm in the first set, which had 1 non-mythic dragon.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

Doesn't [weird, high cmc card from a supplemental product] see play in nic fit?

Always yes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ersatz posted:

Elyv posted:

I have some good news for you!

It's only $140 for a playset :suicide:

One of the more recent fakes that our chinese friends have perfected which is embarrassing considering its a uncommon in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fish Of Doom posted:

I also loved Dragonstorm in the first set, which had 1 non-mythic dragon.

Guess what I opened in my PTQ sealed pool!

Along with an Extirpate and a Squee!

• Locked thread