Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea sorry, I meant in superheroes in general, not just Superman.

And loving hell, Doctor Strange is $45 for the bluray on Amazon, what the gently caress? Ugh I hate having to order everything from online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched Dr. Strange last night. Was not very good outside of a few moments. The ending to the climatic fight was good though.

Watched it for the first time the other day as well. The effects were :aaaaa: and absolutely made to be seen high af but yeah the movie itself was fairly bland

Even bald, Tilda got it tho

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You guys need to stop responding to BOTL.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

...Undermining his plan to kill someone? He abandoned that.

No, undermining the stated motives of the first two acts. Again, such a change is a fine character arc, but it happens so suddenly and to such a great extent that it goes against the character as established within the film.

You're confusing things like moral statements, messages, and themes together. The conclusion of BvS is Superman sacrificing himself in an ultimate expression of power and love, which is what resolves most of the tensions running through the movie.

No it isn't. Loving an individual is how he's able to love the world.

Narrative is always a message of some type or another, moral statements are one potential type of message, and themes are central topics of that message. Superman sacrificing himself is the conclusion of the plot, but not necessarily of the themes. If it is an expression of love, why do we not ever see that love expressed except towards those he personally knows? It is an interpretation I very much would like to have of the movie, but one I do not find supported by the text.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

That's not true at all

Care to elaborate this point? I feel even general meditations on themes arrive at some kind of definitive statement regarding them.

McCloud posted:

Glichwraith, I'd be happy to respond to the rest of your posts, but I don't want you to feel ganged up on. I do want to respond to this bit though.
His decision to gather super heroes is two fold: partly because of his regret at Supermans loss. The world lost its greatest champion, and he knows there are other heroes who could help fill the void that he left. But more importantly, he also still has the foreboding sense that something wicked is coming their way. Both via Lex's insane rants, and his vision of the flash.

Only three people engaging with me, so I'm far from ganged up on. Again, I understand the basic motivation for him to gather the supers, but feel this is in stark contrast to a mere day or so earlier, when he was trying to kill the champion he is now trying to replace. It makes no sense, given the time frame, to arrive so quickly at that conclusion when before he was so stubbornly assured of his course of action.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well, some detachment is to be expected, and that ultimately reflects the mood of the source material. Tintin stories themselves don't particularly evoke tension or exhilaration. In that it's just part of the tradition it helped form: Eurocomics in general tend to favour some degree of detachment on part of the viewer, compared to many American or Japanese works. Tintin after all has no reason to go on his adventures save for the adventures themselves, as opposed to any ideological cause or emotional investment. The joy of the movie comes from motion itself, and how you're made aware of it - and art hardly exists for any reason but to make it's audience aware and perceptive.

Lol if you operate on the level of plot holes and continuity.

But that was what the movie was trying to do, helmed by the greatest set piece creator ever? There's no other reason to have set pieces that last for ten minutes or longer other than to try to have an audience evoke those feelings of excitement, and the fact that it was CGI totally hollowed that possibility out.

Funny thing is, another Zemekis' CGI creations (Beowulf) managed to get out under from this limitation by focusing on the drama, with the attempted heart stopping portions being the worst of what is actually a pretty decent movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shageletic posted:

But that was what the movie was trying to do, helmed by the greatest set piece creator ever? There's no other reason to have set pieces that last for ten minutes or longer other than to try to have an audience evoke those feelings of excitement, and the fact that it was CGI totally hollowed that possibility out.

Funny thing is, another Zemekis' CGI creations (Beowulf) managed to get out under from this limitation by focusing on the drama, with the attempted heart stopping portions being the worst of what is actually a pretty decent movie.

To be honest, you give the impression that you just don't like animation.

glitchwraith posted:

No, undermining the stated motives of the first two acts. Again, such a change is a fine character arc, but it happens so suddenly and to such a great extent that it goes against the character as established within the film.

Narrative is always a message of some type or another, moral statements are one potential type of message, and themes are central topics of that message. Superman sacrificing himself is the conclusion of the plot, but not necessarily of the themes.

You were originally asking for BvS's singular message. You seem to have forgotten that by starting to mix in narratives and moral statements, all based on the fallacy that there must be a singular moral. Besides, BvS has one (sacrifice for others overcomes death).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 28, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

And its such a juvenile outlook to think "mature" means dark, depressing, gritty and violent. This bizzare fixation with just doing Frank Miller's Batman is to blame I feel. It's as if they're beholden to it because every time there's a list of best Batman stories, DKR always tops it, and it just feels lazy, as if they don't want to dig any deeper into Batman massive catalog of books to find a different interpretation of the character.

No one is saying any of this. Quite the contrary, BvS is in fact neither dark nor gritty! It's actually a move with the hopeful message that love and compassion will inspire more good than chest pounding and violence. If anything, the movie is a reprimand against the DKR Batman as a violent inefficient fascist who accomplishes nothing.

twistedmentat posted:

And I said it before doing Christ Allegories with Superman is just really loving lazy at this point. No one's going "oh he's supposed to be Jesus!" becuase, again, it's something that been done so often that it's lost any impact.

The only movie to do this was Superman Returns. This movie has a purpose to the Christ allegories, in that it examines the characters relationship to power. Lex, who covets it to the extent he will commune with the devil, Bruce who fears it to the extent he will try to kill god, Superman who is burdened with it to the extent he almost abandons it, and the people, who react to it by making him a false god. It's not just "oh he's jesus", it's "how are people reacting to what may as well be the second coming". It examines the paradoxical relationship between the people uplifting a man to Divinity, and his struggle to relate to that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

Only three people engaging with me, so I'm far from ganged up on. Again, I understand the basic motivation for him to gather the supers, but feel this is in stark contrast to a mere day or so earlier, when he was trying to kill the champion he is now trying to replace. It makes no sense, given the time frame, to arrive so quickly at that conclusion when before he was so stubbornly assured of his course of action.

His single minded obsession was rooted in fear and anger. Once he realised that he was in effect turning into his parents assassin his mind he stepped back from the ledge. And from there, he not only faced a supermonster, he fought side by side with two worthy allies for a just cause.

His main motive for attacking Superman was his fear that he would inevitably turn on us, because that's the story of his life. He believed no one stayed good in this world, and that included Superman. But he was proven wrong. He's a convert. And no one is as fanatical as the converted.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

You were originally asking for BvS's singular message. You seem to have forgotten that by starting to mix in narratives and moral statements, all based on the fallacy that there must be a singular moral. Besides, BvS has one (sacrifice for others overcomes death).

I was originally asking for any message in the movie, singular or otherwise, as I do not believe it has any, or at least, not one well told, which I feel is supported by the fact that you've ignored my follow-up question.

McCloud posted:

His single minded obsession was rooted in fear and anger. Once he realised that he was in effect turning into his parents assassin his mind he stepped back from the ledge. And from there, he not only faced a supermonster, he fought side by side with two worthy allies for a just cause.

His main motive for attacking Superman was his fear that he would inevitably turn on us, because that's the story of his life. He believed no one stayed good in this world, and that included Superman. But he was proven wrong. He's a convert. And no one is as fanatical as the converted.

I guess I don't see how he was converted. Superman doesn't really do anything other than what he has done before; reacted to people attacking him and his loved ones. The only difference is that this time he dies in the process. So, how does that disprove Bruce's original assumption that no-one stays good?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

glitchwraith posted:

I was originally asking for any message in the movie, singular or otherwise, as I do not believe it has any, or at least, not one well told, which I feel is supported by the fact that you've ignored my follow-up question.

Well it's a very silly question. Superman loves people to save them and protect them. His love for Lois is this abstract love made concrete. Sexual love is great. There's your message.

glitchwraith posted:

I guess I don't see how he was converted. Superman doesn't really do anything other than what he has done before; reacted to people attacking him and his loved ones. The only difference is that this time he dies in the process. So, how does that disprove Bruce's original assumption that no-one stays good?

Batman always saw him as a distant figure of violence. Understanding Superman at his simultaenously lowest and noblest state changed him.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Well it's a very silly question. Superman loves people to save them and protect them. His love for Lois is this abstract love made concrete. Sexual love is great. There's your message.

It is a silly question, which is why it's strange the movie doesn't have an answer for it. He is conflicted about saving and protecting people, so we don't see any love for doing so outside of Lois. Going off of his depiction in this movie, where do we see him loving someone who is not his mother or his romantic partner? Why should we assume he saves other people out of love instead of obligation?

I will begrudgingly admit Batman's motivations may have been stronger than I initially realized, but still feel Superman's lack of involvement and character growth in the overall story hampers the whole thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

To be honest, you give the impression that you just don't like animation.

You quoted me saying I liked Beowulf?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The thing about BvS is that most of this stuff he's saying is actually true, but the finished product is so poorly edited and badly directed that it undermines itself expressing these themes and ideas to the point that most people watching the movie aren't going to pick up on them. It's really not just a case of "Batman shouldn't be killing people!" or "Superman frowns too much!", even though both of those things are probably true, the movie has much much deeper problems than that.

People like bravest lamps focus on these statements because they can reassure themselves that they are shallow criticisms made by shallow people who don't comprehend Serious Cinema and not be forced to consider that the movie might actually be really badly put together. Just because your average moviegoer doesn't spend hours debating the artistic merits of the Transformers films, and therefore maybe doesn't have the language to describe exactly what was bad about it, that doesn't magically invalidate their opinion on the movie.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glitchwraith posted:

Care to elaborate this point? I feel even general meditations on themes arrive at some kind of definitive statement regarding them.

Off the top of my head most of David Lynch's Movies, and most of the Coen Brothers movies do not make a moral or definite statement about the themes they are exploring.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

You're imagining Batman "happily murdering" people. While saving Martha, he's only doing what he's been doing for over 70 years, it's just more obviously lethal than usual. The 'problem' people have with this incarnation of Batman is that him being a weirdo fascist vigilante can't be ignored. Like I mentioned earlier, fans are perfectly happy with their weird fascist hero as long as the fascism is tastefully balanced out by other elements (in a similar example, another goon posted about how Iron Man's libertarianism was acceptable because it could be ignored).

End my loving life, I'm starting to agree with BotL. Is this what going insane feels like?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

The thing about BvS is that most of this stuff he's saying is actually true, but the finished product is so poorly edited and badly directed that it undermines itself expressing these themes and ideas to the point that most people watching the movie aren't going to pick up on them. It's really not just a case of "Batman shouldn't be killing people!" or "Superman frowns too much!", even though both of those things are probably true, the movie has much much deeper problems than that.

People like bravest lamps focus on these statements because they can reassure themselves that they are shallow criticisms made by shallow people who don't comprehend Serious Cinema and not be forced to consider that the movie might actually be really badly put together. Just because your average moviegoer doesn't spend hours debating the artistic merits of the Transformers films, and therefore maybe doesn't have the language to describe exactly what was bad about it, that doesn't magically invalidate their opinion on the movie.

"Deeper problems" like the movie having odd pacing is at best a small complaint (really, it's languruous flow is what's good about it). That enough people might not "get it" isn't that a big concern except for marketers. Worrying about the opinions of the unknowable masses is detrimental to criticism, which is rooted in an individual's sense of awareness.

Also this seems to be motivated by some fear of snooty academics dismissing honest average joe's opinions about movies. Just lol.

glitchwraith posted:

It is a silly question, which is why it's strange the movie doesn't have an answer for it. He is conflicted about saving and protecting people, so we don't see any love for doing so outside of Lois. Going off of his depiction in this movie, where do we see him loving someone who is not his mother or his romantic partner? Why should we assume he saves other people out of love instead of obligation?

I will begrudgingly admit Batman's motivations may have been stronger than I initially realized, but still feel Superman's lack of involvement and character growth in the overall story hampers the whole thing.

I think you should look at your own assumptions. You're saying that it's a problem that we don't see Superman showing "any love" for saving people. What does this actually mean? Saving people is a feat of compassion and humanity, what more does he need to do to show how he cares for people? It almost seems like you're complaint is that he doesn't smile enough.

e:

SlimGoodbody posted:

End my loving life, I'm starting to agree with BotL. Is this what going insane feels like?

Have you ever wondered why absolutely no one gets angry at The Dark Knight for showing Orwellian phone surveillance as a necessary evil to combat terrorism?

Because it's tastefully balanced. Because it's cool. Because, deep down, they can agree with it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 28, 2017

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think you should look at your own assumptions. You're saying that it's a problem that we don't see Superman showing "any love" for saving people. What does this actually mean? Saving people is a feat of compassion and humanity, what more does he need to do to show how he cares for people? It almost seems like you're complaint is that he doesn't smile enough.

A smile would be a quick, relatable show of emotion that would communicate that yes, he feels his actions in saving a person was good and worth his time. It wouldn't have made him a more fleshed out character, but he may have come off as more likable, and less like a jaded office worker doing a job he hates. But that's not the only tool the writers have to show his motivation, should they want to emphasize a less cheery Superman. They could have written him simply having a conversation with, well, anyone in which he expressed his feeling about being treated like a god or a threat, and when asked why he puts up with it, expressed his love for mankind, or planet earth, or the importance of doing what's right. And they where capable of doing this, after-all, Bruce and Alfred's conversations did exactly the same thing for Batman's motivation. It almost feels like the writers assume we will fill in the gaps using our knowledge of the character from past source materials, but don't want us to do so for Batman.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've noticed a lot how Superman is the most transparent character ever, but both fictional characters and real people project their own fear and malice onto him. He's saving people, but he doesn't seem to like it. Does he actually not care for humanity?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 28, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

site posted:

Watched it for the first time the other day as well. The effects were :aaaaa: and absolutely made to be seen high af but yeah the movie itself was fairly bland

Even bald, Tilda got it tho

When she sends Strange on his first trip it was dope as hell.

I kind of wish the movie focused on his studies and him traveling dimensions the whole time.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I've noticed a lot how Superman is the most transparent character ever, but both fictional characters and real people project their own fear and malice onto him. He's saving people, but he doesn't seem to like it. Does he actually not care for humanity?

I'm not projecting anything, I'm questioning why the writers where unable to write Superman as more interesting or relatable than a loaf of bread, especially considering he is the supposed protagonist.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey friends I have a novel notion.

Stop engaging with the CineD gimmicks who only come in here to take potshots at the BSS nerds.

Or else I will start talking about racism in Marvel movies again.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I will start talking about racism in Marvel movies again.

That's worth talking about though. What do you think of something like GotG's propensity to only include minority characters under a thick layer of alien makeup? Intentional on some level, or just dumb and poorly planned?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SlimGoodbody posted:

That's worth talking about though. What do you think of something like GotG's propensity to only include minority characters under a thick layer of alien makeup? Intentional on some level, or just dumb and poorly planned?

Or how the movie is about stopping a robe-wearing terrorist from attacking a Western-styled city?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think maybe people who post worse than them should stop suggesting not replying to them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well I personally think the person who posts worse than the people who post worse than them should
:goonsay:

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's an industry staple, unfortunately. It's the same reason Martian Manhunter is always played by black actors in adaptations; otherness is coded with non-whiteness in media. Particularly for representations of aliens, where the major traits to be represented are "looks different from me" and "sounds different from me."

Sometimes this can work to a story's advantage, but it stops being intentional allegory and starts being unintentional racism when it's so prevalent across the board.

It's further compounded by the lead-versus-side-character racial glass ceiling in media that often gets overlooked. It's not that actors of color don't get jobs; it's that they get jobs as the villains or supporting characters instead of the leads. Combine this with the fact that your main characters in sci-fi and fantasy are usually going to be humans (because humans are the audience viewpoint figure), while the side characters are the non-humans, and you naturally end up with all your actors of color playing non-humans.

So the question of "is it intentional or just poor planning" is hard to answer, because it's trend, which makes it a little of both. It's also unfortunately a trend that doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon, since we're getting GotG2 and the only new non-white actor they got (Pom Klementieff, playing Mantis) just so happen to also be a make-up covered alien. :eng99:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

BrianWilly posted:

Martian Manhunter is always played by black actors in adaptations

:colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Hey friends I have a novel notion.

Stop engaging with the CineD gimmicks who only come in here to take potshots at the BSS nerds.

Or else I will start talking about racism in Marvel movies again.

Yes, I will gladly read that conversation instead of the umpteenth rehash of BvS/MoS bullshit.

On a happier note, I will be going to see a superior movie in Lego Batman shortly!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Well I personally think the person who posts worse than the people who post worse than them should
:goonsay:

It's an industry staple, unfortunately. It's the same reason Martian Manhunter is always played by black actors in adaptations; otherness is coded with non-whiteness in media. Particularly for representations of aliens, where the major traits to be represented are "looks different from me" and "sounds different from me."

Sometimes this can work to a story's advantage, but it stops being intentional allegory and starts being unintentional racism when it's so prevalent across the board.

It's further compounded by the lead-versus-side-character racial glass ceiling in media that often gets overlooked. It's not that actors of color don't get jobs; it's that they get jobs as the villains or supporting characters instead of the leads. Combine this with the fact that your main characters in sci-fi and fantasy are usually going to be humans (because humans are the audience viewpoint figure), while the side characters are the non-humans, and you naturally end up with all your actors of color playing non-humans.

So the question of "is it intentional or just poor planning" is hard to answer, because it's trend, which makes it a little of both. It's also unfortunately a trend that doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon, since we're getting GotG2 and the only new non-white actor they got (Pom Klementieff, playing Mantis) just so happen to also be a make-up covered alien. :eng99:

You have to make the lead guy white, that's all there is to it. Hwood is hella racist.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nice to see a better time when a pregnant woman could play a Martian superhero.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

You gotta lay off the chocos, J'onn

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sneak peak of Phase 3 on the Strange BRD shows some really rough CGI of clearly Gladiator Hulk. Nothing revealing anything major was said, outside of the stuff we'd expect "the next two Avengers movies won't be like anything anyone has seen before!" well, duh!

Not even a mention of Brie Larsen. Seriously, All i want to see at least a concept of her in the Captain Marvel costume.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

purple death ray posted:

Oh I know. Burtons Batman is easily in my top five Batmen and he kills people left and right. Movies have always struggled with Batman because they're always action movies, and action movie heroes kill people. I can watch Batman kill dudes in a movie, no problem, but don't act like it's some deep, symbolic act that shows his character grow and change when it absolutely does not change, and grasping at this idea that all of those guys he wastes in the third act somehow chose to die is absurd.
Honestly I don't mind Batman being shown as a tragic and broken hero because the interpretation that has stuck with me my whole life is the DCAU Bruce and he is probably the most depressing Batman until Terry comes into his life.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Not even a mention of Brie Larsen. Seriously, All i want to see at least a concept of her in the Captain Marvel costume.

They need a director first.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
HACK SNYDER stole almost BvS's entire plot from Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris. Shameful poo poo.

Fsmhunk fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 1, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

howe_sam posted:

They need a director first.

They've said she's going to be in Infinity War.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You gotta lay off the chocos, J'onn

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Well looky here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 1, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm very happy they aren't giving the plot away. But can still tell you who the new members are, and that the big deal is Quill meeting his dad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh heck yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mmm dat sweet Eurocentricism :allears:

Gonna watch it like four times.