Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Easiest way is to have sheena boost her and olivia have her kill two units to start off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Trihugger posted:

Sure, why not? I run into teams with 5*+5s with my team that can barely break 4400 points. I'm sure when you are reaching close to or beyond the 4600 mark you can run into full teams of 5*+10s.

okay so this confirms that your anecdotal experiences aren't reflective of the general experience

At that level it is completely realistic that you'll run into bonafide whale teams

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Guys, this team of Eirika/Nino/Linde/Olivia

It's niche, sure, but it's also absolutely brutal.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
My team doesn't have very high stats so I've never actually seen a whale myself. It doesn't even affect me directly anyway so so long it's fixed it's not a big deal to me.

The way arena matchups are set really needs reworking though. I drew a Reinhardt and he really isn't someone to use in the arena since he has lower total stats than a lot of 4* apparently.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

akulanization posted:

Because it doesn't stop the whale from whaling when you get a bunch of other people to spend a small amount of money. People are idiots and will chase Hector or whatever to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars but for every dude who does that there's another few dozen guys who'd like to have a stamina meter that doesn't overflow if you have a normal sleep or work schedule. If you let people pay a little to get more feathers, exp, and stamina you'd still get dumbasses throwing away a month's worth of living expenses for a family of 4 on chasing the ~ultra rare character~.

your logic makes sense internally. but most mobile games like this don't have much of anything "compelling" (your word) to offer outside of f2p pain points and waifu-gambling :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fe heroes doesnt have anything to offer outside of that either

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I have no red 5*s and enough feathers to promote.

But it turns out my best 4* red might be. Eliwood.

Or it could be Olivia but she's not much of a damager.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AweStriker posted:

I have no red 5*s and enough feathers to promote.

But it turns out my best 4* red might be. Eliwood.

Or it could be Olivia but she's not much of a damager.

Post your units nerd

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

your logic makes sense internally. but most mobile games like this don't have much of anything "compelling" (your word) to offer outside of f2p pain points and waifu-gambling :colbert:

I'd argue that a subscription model would lead to healthier design incentives, since retaining players would be a function of providing them with fun and varied content rather than gambling for the new best unit. In the end I agree that this game would need more content to make a subscription model work though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

akulanization posted:

I'd argue that a subscription model would lead to healthier design incentives, since retaining players would be a function of providing them with fun and varied content rather than gambling for the new best unit. In the end I agree that this game would need more content to make a subscription model work though.

The scope of what a phone game is, limited control options, size restrictions make a subscription model a really. really bad idea. when 90% of your player base doesn't spend a dime on the game then asking them to pay a monthly fee is a one way ticket to having no one play your game.

Subscription models are dead for MMOs, you think people are going to pay monthly for a game they play on their bus ride to and from work?

e: Or while making GBS threads at work?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 28, 2017

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I like to play this game every day when I poo poo and I got bored until I wound up Effie-Olivia-Ryoma-[Healer / Big Tits Camilla] and it's a fun thing again.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm looking for the average level 1 stats for a generic member of each class. Heroes doesn't really have an official distinction between a myrmidon and a mercenary, but I would like to be able to see what a Sword Infantry unit should have by default. Has that kind of data been posted anywhere?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

What does having a +5 or +10 Takumi mean?

Takumi fucks me up big time in the Arena. If I can't one-round him with Abel he just tears me apart.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

What does having a +5 or +10 Takumi mean?

Takumi fucks me up big time in the Arena. If I can't one-round him with Abel he just tears me apart.

Means they merged 5 or 10 same-star Takumis into one Takumi, which increases his stats

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Post your units nerd

Can't do an image so here's all the red I've got:
4*
Fir
Olivia (+1)
Selena
Draug
Cain
Eliwood
Stahl (one +Def/-Atk, one +Spd/-Res)
Caeda
Palla
Lilina
Sophia

3*
Lon'qu
Hinata
Hana
Laslow (+1)
Henry (+1)

Other colors I'm not interested in promoting at this time on account of 5* MRobin, Hector, Takumi, Camilla, and Ephraim.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

The scope of what a phone game is, limited control options, size restrictions make a subscription model a really. really bad idea. when 90% of your player base doesn't spend a dime on the game then asking them to pay a monthly fee is a one way ticket to having no one play your game.

Subscription models are dead for MMOs, you think people are going to pay monthly for a game they play on their bus ride to and from work?

e: Or while making GBS threads at work?

Yeah, I actually do think that people would pay less than the cost of a coffee every month for some reasonable benefits in a game they like. There are plenty of content services that ask you to chip in a handful of dollars that have been successful, not to mention that people buy endless numbers of steam games they never or only barely play because the cost is minuscule. Phone games actively push that kind of spending away by constantly barraging players with new more powerful content making any money spent today worthless when they decide to up the power level. A few whales get on the treadmill and everyone else says "I'm not gonna keep up anyway what's the point of even spending."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes, and then they move onto another IP to pillage.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think there should be a standing forums rule that every Gacha/mobile "F2P" game has a subtitle of "Japan's other whaling problem" because, well, it's the perfect title.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There's currently no way to obtain an armored unit asides from rolling on gacha, right?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
the gacha exemplifies everything wrong with modern video games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dragon enthusiast posted:

There's currently no way to obtain an armored unit asides from rolling on gacha, right?

Correct. There's a good chance Zephiel will be a grand hero battle in the future though.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

cheetah7071 posted:

Correct. There's a good chance Zephiel will be a grand hero battle in the future though.

His kit looks actually pretty good and it boosts armor guys but armor units seem to get massacred by their incredibly low speed

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Sucks, how am I supposed to finish that one mission then

There's only five armored units available in total right now it seems

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Servaetes posted:

His kit looks actually pretty good and it boosts armor guys but armor units seem to get massacred by their incredibly low speed

There are only 2 armored units that are worth a drat, Effie and Hector. That's entirely because even with very high stats armored units are still easy to take down if you can type advantage them and even the AI can set up a favorable engagement on a 1 move unit. Effie and Hector break the rules by requiring a more specific unit or more than one unit to take down, but without wary fighter and Armads neither of them is worth a drat.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Sucks, how am I supposed to finish that one mission then

There's only five armored units available in total right now it seems

Are you talking about the Kill 35+ armored units quest? Because that's enemies not allies. iirc the allied one is cavalry.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a datamined March mission to finish one of the lunatic maps with a team of armors. It'll probably be fairly skippable though, the equivalent February mission just gave shards and didn't unlock anything since it was already in the lunatic tier.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
There's a sibling bonds mission to finish P2-3 with an armored ally

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah you're hosed for that one. Good thing the reward is so small

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Doing a 20 orb pull and getting 4* Stahl and some 3* duplicate garbage is so much fun. I didn't even have any green orbs and my pull was that bad! I love this game. :gibs:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought arena was supposed to be stratified on stats?

Why am I running into +9 Takumis?

Takumi actually has terrible base stats, so a +9 Takumi is worth as much as a +0 Sheena. So what was the rest of their team?

ChronoReverse posted:

So it's looking like I was wrong and the server may really be accepting client-side information. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me but incompetence knows no bounds.

So when's someone gonna tell me how to cheat? I'd like to cheat, if possible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just YouTube it, there's dozens of videos up it seems.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Are you guys all playing this game a lot anymore? I'm honestly opening it once a day to get some orbs and play three duels in hopes that these things will one day be useful when this game comes out with more content, but goddamn I'm even contemplating not wasting my time in those areas anymore.

The min/max endgame is just not appealing to me to grind units in the tower. Is it to you guys?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Just YouTube it, there's dozens of videos up it seems.

I tried, it's all "10000 FREE ORBS" like a spambot, with comments complaining that it doesn't work. And even if it did work, why would I want 10000 orbs when I could just as easily create a character who is exactly what I want? There's one that looks vaguely reasonable but doesn't offer anything interesting (just auto-win battles, basically), and one video series that shows a guy doing some cool stuff like using unavailable characters, but without any explanation for how to do it yourself so it's basically just masturbation. Which personally I don't enjoy watching.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Ubiquitus posted:

The min/max endgame is just not appealing to me to grind units in the tower. Is it to you guys?
Yep. It's mainly to see what I can put into the Arena to see what works.

Also, iirc, data miners pulled out code for something which seems like Guilds, which is what that last grayed-out battle option probably is. I know we're going to put together a Goon Swarm guild of sorts here, so I want to keep my dudes and dudettes min-max'd and ready for when that becomes a thing.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I guess it got lost in the waves but I have no idea what I'm going to do about promoting a red person. I have no 5* red people.

Here's the red people I do have:

I can't get it on an actual computer so I'll need to post a link instead.

5* units not shown are Camilla and Lachesis (I spent... perhaps too many orbs trying to chase Sanaki).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Clarste posted:

I tried, it's all "10000 FREE ORBS" like a spambot, with comments complaining that it doesn't work. And even if it did work, why would I want 10000 orbs when I could just as easily create a character who is exactly what I want? There's one that looks vaguely reasonable but doesn't offer anything interesting (just auto-win battles, basically), and one video series that shows a guy doing some cool stuff like using unavailable characters, but without any explanation for how to do it yourself so it's basically just masturbation. Which personally I don't enjoy watching.

Check reddit and other disreputable forums.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

AweStriker posted:

I guess it got lost in the waves but I have no idea what I'm going to do about promoting a red person. I have no 5* red people.

5* units not shown are Camilla and Lachesis (I spent... perhaps too many orbs trying to chase Sanaki).

4* Olivia is a top tier red.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

Check reddit and other disreputable forums.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason we need to be obtuse about it here? It's against the terms of service, definitely, but it's not illegal or anything to fiddle around with your own game. What's the point of all the cloak and dagger if the worst case scenario is just that Nintendo catches on and bans you? I feel like a "do this at your own risk" warning would be sufficient.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ubiquitus posted:

Are you guys all playing this game a lot anymore? I'm honestly opening it once a day to get some orbs and play three duels in hopes that these things will one day be useful when this game comes out with more content, but goddamn I'm even contemplating not wasting my time in those areas anymore.

Yeah, I'm doing pretty much the same thing. I've got a fairly nice max-leveled team (5* Robin/4* Bartre/5* Cain/5* Takumi), and I just don't feel any need to level up anything else or roll on the gacha anymore.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Playing mobile games once a day (slightly more on content updates) is basically the point.

Does anyone still care about stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

AweStriker posted:

Don't promote, unless you are done with summoning for a good long while.

That being said, Olivia is great, but all she gets at 5* is more damage. Selena is pretty great. Armorslayer+ makes mince meat of any armored foes and that's great because they are a bitch to take down with a non-magic user. Triangle Adept is good, but it nerfs your damage against lance/blue tome users. However, if you're going up against one of those, just unequip it, especially if it's an armored blue unit.

Look online for stat calculators. Every character has one attribute that gets a positive modifier and one that's a negative modifier (sometimes even neutral!). Make sure her attack or speed isn't negative before promoting her.