Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

I assume they're "Lol vampire? Come duel me for that baseless slander!!" kinda guys.

They don't go out in public much, Mousillon has always been an awful swamp that is way more effort to conquer than it is worth, and they tend to win very, very commandingly if you ever you duel one of them, and afterwards you tend to become Best Buds with the Red Duke for some weird reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

jokes posted:

So are Mousillon like flagrant and open vampires or are they like pretending to be normal Bretonnians? Because they appear to be running armies of thousands of skellingtons across their dead and dying landscape, so it doesn't seem to be a very closely held secret.

Mousillon is so flagrantly vampires that the WHFRP book for Bretonnia mentions any human lords there dress in black armor and menacing spikes to fit in, hoping no-one will realize they're out of place.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Mousillon is so flagrantly vampires that the WHFRP book for Bretonnia mentions any human lords there dress in black armor and menacing spikes to fit in, hoping no-one will realize they're out of place.

Warhammer is so the best fantasy setting ever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also they still won't admit that the old Duke Merovech was almost certainly a vampire since, despite having to be put down, he kind of saved Bretonnia from the Skaven since he was immune to plague.

This after he got into a drunken duel with his king and ripped the man's throat out with his teeth to drink his blood. But you know, a normal crazy person could've done that!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Vampires in Mousillon? Fake news amirite? :smug:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update: you can never resettle Mousillon and if you try you'll get trapped in a menu and forced to alt F4 regardless of if you wait a turn. Which seems like a bug since surely Lyonesse is not meant to be to only human province on the map that is incapable of being unified.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 28, 2017

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

vintagepurple posted:

Update: you can never resettle Mousillon and if you try you'll get trapped in a menu and forced to alt F4 regardless of if you wait a turn. Which seems like a bug since surely Lyonesse is not meant to be to only human province on the map that is incapable of being unified.

Lyonesse can settle it fine. I razed that swamp and then left it, like the good king i am, for my loyal vassals.

Then i confederated them later.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Pretty sure the Fey Enchantress is the greatest LL ever. She is like a levitating Vlad

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bah, I'm pretty sure Bordeleaux is the real hard mode for Bretonnian starts. I mean jeez, despite the buffs to Knights of the Realm making them as competitive as Grail Knights without the cost, your leader is probably best off sitting his rear end down in the capital and making the big bucks while other Lords do the real work since money and expansion opportunities are so tight.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 28, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

toasterwarrior posted:

Bah, I'm pretty sure Bordeleaux is the real hard mode for Bretonnian starts. I mean jeez, despite the buffs to Knights of the Realm making them as competitive as Grail Knights without the cost, your leader is probably best off sitting his rear end down in the capital and making the big bucks while other Lords do the real work since money and expansion opportunities are so tight.

Nah, he needs to march to Marienburg to simultaneously rake in even more money and hold off hundreds of norse invaders.

Is there a reason to build industry if you aren't planning on going over the peasant cap? It seems worse than farms.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

vintagepurple posted:

I did and cleansed that bitch of vampire taint. my paladin hero spent his whole drat career there

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

vintagepurple posted:

Are you using mods? I've seen a few reports here and there that random mods tend to break the interaction with it.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
It is utterly impossible to confederate the vampire counts faction with the von carstein one. Playing as Isabella and I have one and 3/4 stacks sieging an utterly empty and twice sacked castle drakenhof, and they still wont confederate. Their power is like 53 and mine is 1st.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To be fair, Mannfred is a dick.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

If that is what they were going for it works. If they wanted us to be able to confederate it is bugged.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rakosi posted:

It is utterly impossible to confederate the vampire counts faction with the von carstein one. Playing as Isabella and I have one and 3/4 stacks sieging an utterly empty and twice sacked castle drakenhof, and they still wont confederate. Their power is like 53 and mine is 1st.

You can't confederate major powers. Or did that change?

In my dwarf game I couldn't confederate Angrund.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rakosi posted:

If that is what they were going for it works. If they wanted us to be able to confederate it is bugged.

They probably don't want you to confederate the primary factions, since you get the LL for the primary faction upon conquering a certain province generally. For example, for Mannfred, just get the starter vampire province(s?) and you get him as a LL. For Lords like the Bringer of Tods, or the Wood Elf LLs, you need to confederate. Confederation also brings penalties that conquering doesn't.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AngryBooch posted:

You can't confederate major powers. Or did that change?

In my dwarf game I couldn't confederate Angrund.

I confederated Orion as Durthu.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Man, my vh game with Louen is going to hell super fast because Brettonian economy needs a lot of investment and I'm at war with half the map at the same time. Also, gently caress Marienburg.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rakosi posted:

The von Carstein start is interesting, but then the game largely turns into "the Vampire Counts, but easier because your Vampires are even better". On hard, I rushed towards Templehof, then turned on Mannfred when he also moved on Templehof. Crushed Mannfred, took Drakenhof in an incredibly pyrrhic victory, then fought off Templehof's attack on my battered forces and now I'm sitting with a depleted army on Drakenhof guarding my borders with Isabella and 6 Vampires trying to get the gold mine built. Once that's up I figure I'll be good to go for the rest of the game, honestly.

e: Also the von Carsteins never need to gently caress with the Dwarfs, thank god. They only need to wipe out the Empire and all the Bretonnian factions.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 28, 2017

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It kinda sucks that you stand a good chance of losing the Fey Enchantress if you don't start as her. Twice I've seen her get doubleteamed and burnt down by the beastmen and the elves long before you'd have a hope of going down there to save her.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

xthetenth posted:

I confederated Orion as Durthu.

Wood Elves are a bit of an exception as they need to confederate to get the other LL.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

There is an option in diplomacy to confederate the mannfred faction but even with no troops and no garrison and me being the number one faction it is a "moderate" diplomacy thing which always fails. I want to confederate cos I want the other LLs in my Von Carstein campaign and I thought that was the point. I could have killed them entirely on turn 2 with Vlad, and turn 3 with Isabelle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

vintagepurple posted:

It kinda sucks that you stand a good chance of losing the Fey Enchantress if you don't start as her. Twice I've seen her get doubleteamed and burnt down by the beastmen and the elves long before you'd have a hope of going down there to save her.

Should just start as Carcassone! Louen is kind of EZ mode compared to the other two anyways, but you don't start with a Super Saiyan.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

jokes posted:

Should just start as Carcassone! Louen is kind of EZ mode compared to the other two anyways, but you don't start with a Super Saiyan.

10% campaign movement though...

I'm not sure i can give that up!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
How does the Fey Enchantress fare compared with the other caster lords? Is she on the weaker side too or has something that makes her good on her own?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, first of all, she has Life magic which is S+ tier for sure. Second of all, she gets a free cast of a spell that gives, I think, 30-something melee attack which is VERY useful against lords that are better at fighting than her. Also, she gets a free beasts damsel to start, which means bonus WoM and a manticore after a while.

Her main shortcoming is she's not able to duel down heroes well until she gets a paladin she can pocket heal and buff.

She has pretty great red and blue lines as well, though she should focus on getting spells and a unicorn ASAP. Louen and Alberic are both pretty normal Lords, with Alberic being best utilized as a stay-at-home Lord because of the bonus to ports he gets.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Asehujiko posted:

I'm with you here until the end of turn 2, then Marienburg deviates from the plan and obliterates Louen's depleted army at the ruins of the Skullsmasherz town.

You should have a strong enough army after razing skullsmasherd that Marienberg won't engage; you're taking too many losses.

Remember you have archer and cav superiority, use them. Pegasus knights should be vanguarded and sent to take out the doom diver before it can fire more than 2 shots.

Because you have artillery superiority the AI will come to you, so deploy a bit back and let your trebuchets do their work. Have your archers slightly to the side and concentrate fire. Punish any units that peel away with cav charges en masse.

Use louen to take out their general. Your infantry should engage as little as possible. Use cav and archers.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Fighting a 3 skaelings stack early in the game with just your starting louen stack + Marienberg defenders is a blast but I don't want to do this over and over...Going back to Varg and skaeling nerf mod :P

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

goddamnit AI stop dragging me into wars with the loving Welfs while Chaos and the Norscans are just running around pissing on everything

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been making the cardinal mistake in relying on peasants to do the work of the nobility. A full-cavalry army will do better as Bretonnia (with a trebuchet or two) than any combination of peasant archers and fighters. Good god, peasants are the worst.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jokes posted:

I've been making the cardinal mistake in relying on peasants to do the work of the nobility. A full-cavalry army will do better as Bretonnia (with a trebuchet or two) than any combination of peasant archers and fighters. Good god, peasants are the worst.

Now you're thinking with chivalry! Horses are what separate you from the lesser creatures of the earth. Bring several.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Well, first of all, she has Life magic which is S+ tier for sure. Second of all, she gets a free cast of a spell that gives, I think, 30-something melee attack which is VERY useful against lords that are better at fighting than her. Also, she gets a free beasts damsel to start, which means bonus WoM and a manticore after a while.

Her main shortcoming is she's not able to duel down heroes well until she gets a paladin she can pocket heal and buff.

She has pretty great red and blue lines as well, though she should focus on getting spells and a unicorn ASAP. Louen and Alberic are both pretty normal Lords, with Alberic being best utilized as a stay-at-home Lord because of the bonus to ports he gets.

She also has a DoT Aura, the same aura also gives -8 Melee attack to those in range of it. Oh and the free buff is actually +58(!!) melee attack for 44 seconds (!!!!!) on a 90 second cooldown to anything friendly, including herself.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ze Pollack posted:

Now you're thinking with chivalry! Horses are what separate you from the lesser creatures of the earth. Bring several.

Foot squires are pretty drat good, they'll go toe-to-toe with chaos warriors. Which is dumb but...

The reliquae will also make your dudes hold much better. Reliquae backing up polearms and squires, they'll still take a lot of casualties compared to better units but they'll hold and chew through stuff. Greenskins, if you soften them up first with trebs and archers, will melt almost before your knights charge.

Still, there's so many buildings you need and so few slots that you may as well rely on a small subsection of units. The full roster requires I think five buildings, several of which are T5, and your econ buildings often require two slots to upgrade properly, plus Couronne has two unique T5 buildings. You definitely want just one recruiting province I think.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 28, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

vintagepurple posted:

Foot squires are pretty drat good, they'll go toe-to-toe with chaos warriors. Which is dumb but...

The reliquae will also make your dudes hold much better.

Still, there's so many buildings you need and so few slots that you may as well rely on a small subsection of units. The full roster requires I think five buildings, several of which are T5, and your econ buildings often require two slots to upgrade properly, plus Couronne has two unique T5 buildings. You definitely want just one recruiting province I think.

Reliquae are CLEARLY horses, what the hell are you talking about

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
How are their province commandments? I haven't gotten a chance to play yet because of work.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Just about to start a co-op campaign with a mate (we're both new to the game, but TW veterans) and wanted some advice from you chaps if at all possible.

Firstly, I'm pretty intent on modding. I understand that there are some tweaks that can be made to make the game enjoyable. Nothing earth-shattering, but if people could suggest a few things that would rock. Things that me and my pal like:

* Big battles with lots of infantry / tactics.
* Varied AI armies that don't spam one unit (no armies made up only of trolls, please).
* Negation of retarded CA design decisions.
* General neat features.

So, yeah. Any assistance would be great, along with advice on compatibility etc.

Thanks Goons.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

actually the Bordelaux start is the best because I just watched my starting pile of knights charge downhill and vaporise two thirds of the Red Dukes doomstack with each unit getting a kill count in the hundreds

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DangerousDan posted:

* Negation of retarded CA design decisions.

Can you elaborate on this point? People tend to have very different opinions on what constitutes a bad design decision, so if you can list a few that you think are bad, we can recommend better mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

play the game first. Aggressive AI is probably what you want, maybe tier 4 settlements. I don't use either. I only have instant quest battles since I never finished a quest in 8 campaigns.

• Locked thread