Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ethanol posted:

Thanks for asking but I have a gf

The man is dying, ethanol!
I'm sure your girlfriend will understand, just open his mouth and get up on it!

E:
the Zim building fire of 66' is pretty OSHA, but I'm posting it here because of an anecdote
http://www.jta.org/1966/02/07/archive/tel-aviv-mayor-orders-probe-into-fire-of-five-story-zim-building
http://news.walla.co.il/item/1640149

I was told that a Hungarian janitor called the fire dept. and reported the fire,
but due to his unlucky choice of words gave the impression he was complaining of a burning sensation in his testicles.
I can't find a primary source to corroborate .

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I was told that a Hungarian janitor called the fire dept. and reported the fire,
but due to his unlucky choice of words gave the impression he was complaining of a burning sensation in his testicles.
I can't find a primary source to corroborate .

The phrasebook claims another life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akbflkF_1zY

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

While that story is unverified, the Zim building does sound almost identical to "nuts" in Hebrew (beit-zim vs. beitzim).
It's not impossible that inexperienced hebrew speaker would make this mistake.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39121997

quote:

A French police sniper has accidentally shot and injured two people during a speech by President Francois Hollande in western France.

The shot was fired as the officer moved position on a roof about 100m (328ft) from a tent where Mr Hollande was speaking in the town of Villognon.

The bullet went through the canvas of the tent, where drinks were being made. It passed through a waiter's thigh and lodged in another person's calf.

The injuries were not life-threatening.

One local report said the safety catch of the sniper's weapon was unlocked, allowing the gun to be discharged accidentally.

it would have been pretty anticlimactic if WW3 started because a policeman accidentally killed the president of a nuclear power

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's no such thing as an "accidental discharge". The term that article needs is negligent discharge. Guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger, unless they are so poorly maintained that they can go off if you drop them, which means it's negligent to be loading them in the first place. He's a police sniper so I'm going to assume a certain level of firearm competence in regards to knowing his rifle is broken to the point when it could go off from being dropped. So that idiot either had his finger on the trigger, or let it get caught on something sticking out, but either way the rifle going off is 100% his fault.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I think that it's a sign of things to come:
Last year a policeman assainated a diplomat on purpose, this year the French president was almost shot by accident

The omens say that all the bad poo poo that's about to go down will be unintentional.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

There's no such thing as an "accidental discharge". The term that article needs is negligent discharge. Guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger, unless they are so poorly maintained that they can go off if you drop them, which means it's negligent to be loading them in the first place. So that idiot either had his finger on the trigger, or let it get caught on something sticking out, but either way the rifle going off is 100% his fault.

By that logic there sure as hell have been very few accidents in the history of the world. Titanic sank? Why didn't they just go around the ice-berg. You? Daddy could've pulled out.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Or they're made in Brazil.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a84_1395261848

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

They actually had another problem with a similar gun from the same factory last year, where instead of going off by itself, it would go into uncontrollable runaway fire if you pulled the trigger, dumping the entire magazine at full auto. You could pretty easy make the case that Made In Brazil = poorly maintained.

Jerry Cotton posted:

By that logic there sure as hell have been very few accidents in the history of the world. Titanic sank? Why didn't they just go around the ice-berg. You? Daddy could've pulled out.

Titanic sank because, among other stupid human actions, the guy with the key to the locker with the binoculars in it stayed home and didn't give the key to his replacement. Yes, a hell of a lot of "accidents" can be ascribed to human negligence. You though? poo poo, sometimes bad luck is a real thing.

Memento fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 28, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't seem like the same logic at all. In fact your post strikes me as profoundly stupid. I'm sorry. I'm going to have to cite you for this violation of my posting health

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Titanic was a series of bad decisions. Not calling it an “accident” is good.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Jerry Cotton posted:

The term "accident" implies that no one is at fault. It was just a mistake, or a miscommunication, or a wild random happenstance.

Negligence on the other hand, is totally avoidable, and lays the blame precisely at the feet of the person who was responsible. Like, for instance, the chucklefuck with the rifle in that article, especially since he, of all people, should have known better. Loaded rifle, safety off, not pointed in a safe direction, finger on the trigger or near something it could catch on, he pretty much broke every rule there is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Titanic literally sank because of (multiple instances of) negligence.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know this is from pages ago but gently caress those duck or hippo boat/buses. The have them in my town and they're ridiculously expensive and boring. For like $10 you can get a great water tour on some cute ferries and tour boats. For about the same you can get a land based tour in a comfortable bus. Or you can pay about 6x as much combined to get a lovely worst of both worlds experience. A really short water tour mixed with a bunch of boring driving because where they can go in and out of the water isn't near anywhere interesting. No one I've talked to said it was remotely worth doing. There's also of course all the safety issues as well, on and off the water. I've nearly been hit by the drat things a few times because they have such poor visibility and sit so high on the road they can't see pedestrians or bikes and the drivers have an aggressive schedule to keep.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jay_Zombie posted:

The term "accident" implies that no one is at fault. It was just a mistake, or a miscommunication, or a wild random happenstance.

Negligence on the other hand, is totally avoidable, and lays the blame precisely at the feet of the person who was responsible. Like, for instance, the chucklefuck with the rifle in that article, especially since he, of all people, should have known better. Loaded rifle, safety off, not pointed in a safe direction, finger on the trigger or near something it could catch on, he pretty much broke every rule there is.

Here, have some freaky PSAs on this very topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This was JPM smashing into the jet dryer, right?
Yep.

Why he was still flying around the track under caution and hit his brakes to go sliding into the jet dryer, that knowledge will be lost to the ages.

Or he did a dumb dumb

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Memento posted:

There's no such thing as an "accidental discharge". The term that article needs is negligent discharge. Guns don't go off unless you pull the trigger, unless they are so poorly maintained that they can go off if you drop them, which means it's negligent to be loading them in the first place. He's a police sniper so I'm going to assume a certain level of firearm competence in regards to knowing his rifle is broken to the point when it could go off from being dropped. So that idiot either had his finger on the trigger, or let it get caught on something sticking out, but either way the rifle going off is 100% his fault.

Was it a Remington 700?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

Something something Taurus.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CannonFodder posted:

Was it a Remington 700?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something something Taurus.

I should have added "badly designed" to the section headed "poorly maintained" to cover these contingencies, true.

I think that's why those Brazilian guns were such fuckups; they were Brazilian (poor manufacturing standards) copies of Taurus guns (poor manufacturing standards) which meant that instead of just being unreliable and poorly built, they were actively extremely dangerous.

Memento fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 28, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I think that it's a sign of things to come:
Last year a policeman assainated a diplomat on purpose, this year the French president was almost shot by accident

The omens say that all the bad poo poo that's about to go down will be unintentional.

We're still a ways from bomb-throwing anarchists.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Here, have some freaky PSAs on this very topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

Knew what this was before I even clicked on it :canada:

They still freak me out to this day but god drat if they didn't make me take a more critical eye to my workplace.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whoever allows their loaded, chambered, cocked weapon to ND while positioning really has no place in a professional security org.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

evil_bunnY posted:

Whoever allows their loaded, chambered, cocked weapon to ND while positioning really has no place in a professional security org.

Actually, it was an accident.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

Was it a Remington 700?

Owning a Remington 700 is negligent.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Decrepus posted:

Actually, it was an accident.

He was hired and given a rifle by accident, happens all the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

holy poo poo everything in this article

https://www.revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

quote:

This tool cuts fingers and gashes faces, but shipbuilder still uses it

Martin Osborn had a job to do at the Alabama shipyard: Use a handheld power tool to slice a tiny piece of aluminum on a ship being constructed for the U.S. Navy.

As he pushed the saw blade through the metal one morning in February 2014, the tool shot back. It ripped through his left ring finger, tearing away flesh and bone. Osborn never saw it coming.

But shipyard managers did. For years, managers at Austal USA’s shipyard in Mobile privately fretted about the danger of a tool they’d modified from its intended use. In an email three years earlier, Chris Blankenfeld, the company’s top safety manager, called the machine a “Widow Maker.”

“These millers are quite literally an accident waiting to happen,” he wrote to company officials, referring to the tool by its shipyard nickname.

He was right. At least 53 Austal workers have been injured by the tool, losing fingers and suffering deep gashes on their faces, necks and arms, according to injury logs from January 2011 to March 2015 obtained by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting.

quote:

But he also has blamed employees for their injuries. It’s “the employee who makes the tool unsafe not the tool (itself),” Blankenfeld wrote in an email to a group of company managers in 2011.

A safety alert titled, “Miller Tool Use and Dangers,” went out to workers in 2015. It declared: “ALL injuries involving Miller tools are caused by carelessness, improper use and complacency.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wait, it’s a single tool (i.e. not a class of tools similarly modified) that injured fifty‐three different employees?

:stare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Wait, it’s a single tool (i.e. not a class of tools similarly modified) that injured fifty‐three different employees?

They keep handing it off to the next employee who has all his fingers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

It was a single type of tool, but not just one tool.

It was a grinder where they modified a toothed blade onto it. Doing so results in nasty kickbacks from a hand-held tool.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FCKGW posted:

It was a single type of tool, but not just one tool.

It was a grinder where they modified a toothed blade onto it. Doing so results in nasty kickbacks from a hand-held tool.

See, that’s what I was wondering.

I was imagining one tool that has “Property of Kilroy / do not remove from dock A‐1” scribbled on it and has a blood stain that looks remarkably like Texas (and every other state + Guam, Puerto Rico, and D.C.).

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

CannonFodder posted:

Yep.

Why he was still flying around the track under caution and hit his brakes to go sliding into the jet dryer, that knowledge will be lost to the ages.

Or he did a dumb dumb

Iirc he was the lucky pass and he had pitted during the caution so he was speeding up to catch up with the back of the pack and get in formation

Also jpm lol u dumb

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWGGMchu6mQ

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The proper tool for this, and likely the tool that blade is designed for is a counter-rotating saw, which acts more like a bunch of scissors. if it jams, it just stops instead of jumping in whichever direction the blade is spinning.

They're problematic if steel gets in between the blades and you can quickly destroy expensive blades if you're not liberal with the wax sticks, but you also get to keep all your fingers and facial flesh.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Austal is also the same company that hosed up half the Littoral Combat Ships because they figured they didn't need to isolate the steel waterjets from the aluminum hull, which has caused the hulls to have serious corrosion issues.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

C.M. Kruger posted:

Austal is also the same company that hosed up half the Littoral Combat Ships because they figured they didn't need to isolate the steel waterjets from the aluminum hull, which has caused the hulls to have serious corrosion issues.

A problem that was recognised in the loving eighteenth century.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"In 1776 Alarm was resurveyed. It was soon discovered that the sheathing had become detached from the hull in many places because the iron nails which had been used to fasten the copper to the timbers had been ‘much rotted’. Closer inspection revealed that some nails, which were less corroded, were insulated from the copper by brown paper which was trapped under the nail head. The copper had been delivered to the dockyard wrapped in the paper which was not removed before the sheets were nailed to the hull. The obvious conclusion therefore, and the one which had been highlighted in a separate report to the Admiralty in as early as 1763, was that iron should not be allowed direct contact with copper in a sea water environment if severe corrosion of the iron was to be avoided."

Cool stuff

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Platystemon posted:

A problem that was recognised in the loving eighteenth century.

wrong century bud

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

What happens at 50seconds?

There's what sounds like a gunshot (though the gun is empty) and a small dimple appears on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wrong century bud

Er, as opposed to....?