Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

If you want to know who the Patriots are going to sign just take the bottom 10 players off any "Top 100 NFL Free Agents" list
Hey look they get Brandon LaFell and Chris Long back.

quote:

Brandon LaFell, Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver
Vernon Davis, Washington Redskins tight end
Christine Michael, Green Bay Packers running back
DeAngelo Williams, Pittsburgh Steelers running back
Devin Taylor, Detroit Lions defensive end
Malcolm Smith, Oakland Raiders linebacker
Terrell McClain, Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle
Karl Klug, Tennessee Titans defensive end
Ted Ginn Jr., Carolina Panthers wide receiver
Chris Long, New England Patriots defensive end

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788031/article/2017-nfl-free-agency-top-101-available-players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I just know the Ginn family will have zero drops as a Patriot somehow

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

I do not want Hightower. We need too many things to spend that much on one guy.

Same reason it's okay to let Stills walk.

Hightower is a pretty unique player and I think there's a whole hell of a lot he can do for the Dolphins defense that would make it worthwhile. He makes up for a lot of the issues you have in the wide alignment in the run game, and then can capitalize on it as a blitzer in a way that could be really ridiculous.

The combination of the wide alignment and having someone who draws blockers like Suh would basically serve the Center up on a plate. Hightower can physically just run them over, but you'd basically be creating a situation where you're forcing the Center to play in "space".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have no idea who is out there that can replace Derrick Johnson.

Maybe...maybe his Achilles will just heal.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/briancoz/status/836742183881441280

obviously

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/836743445305765889

very obviously

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

I have no idea who is out there that can replace Derrick Johnson.

Maybe...maybe his Achilles will just heal.

The other one kinda did.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets started the offseason like $4m over the cap. They should be around $40m under when the other obvious cuts are made.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Turns out Revis has offset language in his contract, so they should be able to recoup a few million from the guarantees they owe him still.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

rip in piss Revis

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

where will revis play safety next year?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

where will revis play safety next year?

I wouldn't be shocked if he just retired. Hard for me to imagine Revis playing on a cheap deal.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Allbright is usually pretty good at these things.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/836745502234402816

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/836747932611276800

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

top db

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Revis can't play safety at his current ability level

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if he just retired. Hard for me to imagine Revis playing on a cheap deal.

Since he has offset language, he's playing for free unless he gets $6m. So why not play for the vet minimum this year wherever he thinks he'll be the best fit to collect more money next year?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jairus Byrd - 31
Jamaal Charles - 31
Darrelle Revis - 32
Adrian Peterson - 32

Imagine saying all these guys would be shot by now 3 years ago.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

89 posted:

Not true. It's just word that Stills' market value is at $12 million (which is gross, he's not that good). And Philly wants speed.

Nope. I like the source. Time will tell!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I thought Jairus Byrd was like 28 but time flies too drat fast in this league

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Allbright is usually pretty good at these things.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/836745502234402816

Sadly a smart move. You have to love Tyrod for another season at least. Dude was given crap last year at the HC position.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Amy Pole Her posted:

Nope. I like the source. Time will tell!

Source still hasn't been....sourced.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Same person I've always asked for Dolphins stuff, a guy who only posts behind a paywall on FH. He's demonstrated who he is and he's pretty connected so... we will see!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Well hopefully not. If Stills was as good as he was supposed to be, then the Saints wouldn't have traded him and the Dolphins wouldn't let him walk after Year 1. I'd take him around $6 or $8 million as a WR3. But anything more is :barf:. Corey Davis/Kenny Stills/Jordan Matthews could be cool, but there's no guarantee Corey Davis is available when the Eagles pick at 14 or 15.

An older and way more talented DeSean Jackson on a cheaper deal would be a million times better than Stills on a bloated $12 million a year contract. We could probably get DeSean for $7 million even with him only having maybe another 2 good years left. Stills is just Treggs all over again. One big play and then disappears for the rest of the season.

I remember that time Chip wouldn't pay Maclin $11 million.

But, to be fair, if we had retained Maclin, we would have won 4 or 5+ more games, probably made the playoffs one extra year and would have never landed Wentz with Chip Kelly getting cut so :shrug:

89 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 1, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sadly a smart move. You have to love Tyrod for another season at least. Dude was given crap last year at the HC position.

Yes, and hopefully he'll be throwing to receivers more talented than Brandon Tate next year, too. Holding off on my celebratory shots until I get the confirmation from a source I've heard of.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Btw would legit take Byrd back on a cheapish deal.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

89 posted:

Well hopefully not. If Stills was as good as he was supposed to be, then the Saints wouldn't have traded him and the Dolphins wouldn't let him walk after Year 1. I'd take him around $6 or $8 million as a WR3. But anything more is :barf:. Corey Davis/Kenny Stills/Jordan Matthews could be cool, but there's no guarantee Corey Davis is available when the Eagles pick at 14 or 15.

An older and way more talented DeSean Jackson on a cheaper deal would be a million times better than Stills on a bloated $12 million a year contract. We could probably get DeSean for $7 million even with him only having maybe another 2 good years left. Stills is just Treggs all over again. One big play and then disappears for the rest of the season.

I remember that time Chip wouldn't pay Maclin $11 million.

But, to be fair, if we had retained Maclin, we would have won 4 or 5+ more games, probably made the playoffs one extra year and would have never landed Wentz with Chip Kelly getting cut so :shrug:

Stills has been in Miami for 2 years FWIW

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

torn about whether i want the bears to resign alshon only because the list of functioning bears wide receivers in my lifetime is basically him, marshall, like a year of curtis conway and superstar Marty Booker

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah 89 you're a bit misinformed with a bit if your basis of opinion but I can get the concern about having him at 12 per.

Stills easily deserves 10 mil in this free agency, he's 24 and demonstrated he has big play ability with 9 touchdowns. You have to like him as a 1b to justify that money, but I personally do. What's funny is I'd keep Stills, trade Landry and use that for defensive help

I think Landry is great but he wants even
More money and he's a real rear end in a top hat

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If Stills comes in on the Maclin contract where he only counts as...

$3.4 million the first year of his contract,

Then, I'd be cool with that.

Stills has never been over 800 yards in a season. Including playing with Drew Brees*

*Yes, I know Brees distributes the ball everywhere, but I don't care.

I want my WR1 :cry:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If Miami is gonna make us sign Kenny Stills, it should ALSO be a part of the contract that the same guys that leaked Tunsil's :gas: video a hour before the draft does the same thing with Corey Davis so we can draft him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If Cousins plays out the year on the franchise tag he's an unrestricted FA next year, correct?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

torn about whether i want the bears to resign alshon only because the list of functioning bears wide receivers in my lifetime is basically him, marshall, like a year of curtis conway and superstar Marty Booker

I shouldn't be surprised since you guys never had a QB but this is a pretty sad list.

The franchise record for career receiving yards is just over 5k. 2 RBs in the top 10, 3 other guys listed as Left End or Flanker which means they played in the stone ages. And Ditka.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If Cousins plays out the year on the franchise tag he's an unrestricted FA next year, correct?

He can be tagged again for $28.8m (120% of this year's salary). That is...unlikely. So in practice yes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I shouldn't be surprised since you guys never had a QB but this is a pretty sad list.

The franchise record for career receiving yards is just over 5k. 2 RBs in the top 10, 3 other guys listed as Left End or Flanker which means they played in the stone ages. And Ditka.

Alshon has the third-most receiving yards in bears history.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Alshon has the third-most receiving yards in bears history.

...what?

Edit: I believe you, but that's sad

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 1, 2017

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
What the hell happened to Bryd?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

His talent was on a flight the spun in over the sea of Japan.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

What the hell happened to Bryd?

Injuries slowed him down and he didn't have a good defense to panic QB's into making risky throws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Byrd will be good again when he's playing for not-the-Saints.

• Locked thread