Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Efexeye posted:

I had an MRI and an MRA recently; not only did they have to pre-authorize them with the insurance company, but I'm also $780 out of pocket after their contribution. grr

Are you sure you needed a men's rights advocate? Joking aside, those two procedures would probably cost less if you just walked into a private clinic in Croatia without any insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Are you sure you needed a men's rights advocate? Joking aside, those two procedures would probably cost less if you just walked into a private clinic in Croatia without any insurance.
Yep. Private MRI/MRA in Slovenia costs from ~150 to 350€ depending on what is scanned (liver is the most expensive at 430, most are around 300€), Croatia is roughly up to a third cheaper. You can get a full body MRI+brain vein MRA package for less than what you paid extra (looking at the pricelist here, 640€ = $680).

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
How do I tell a cripple to gently caress off?

There's this guy, let's call him Dave, who is pushing his MLM products on me. Dave and I were introduced by Johnny the antiques peddler back when I was grappling with cancer and I unwisely chose to buy Dave's herbal supplements - not because I believed in this 1980s new age poo poo, but because I thought that having placebo pills kicking around the house would be beneficial to my druggie brain that constantly craved pills. It was really, really expensive placebo, but it did its magic.

Dave, however, thinks I'm his friend, and he often takes time out of his busy schedule of "pushing 80" to phone me on the motherfucking landline and attempt to peddle more new-age poo poo to me.

The thing is that I don't want these pills anymore - they were a pretty decent placebo in turbulent times, but I have since come to associate these pills with 'sickness' and I don't need those things kicking around my flat, constantly reminding me of the fact that I used to be seriously ill.

Now, you're all going to say 'sever' now. In fact, that's exactly what I did some six months ago. The guy phoned me up on the landline one afternoon, which must have been his twelfth unsuccessful attempt at a sale, wrapped in a lot of personal drama, ie my wife just dropped, the woe is me, would you like some herbal vitamins or some poo poo. This was in spectacularly poor taste and I plum told him never to call me again as I'm simply not interested in his products anymore.

It wasn't pleasant to say those words, of course, but I was tired of the guy phoning me and me having to find out excuses as to why I need to hang up (oops my cat is on fire or someshit)

Now, the guy hasn't been heard from for like.... six months. That is, until a couple of days ago, when he suddenly phoned me up out of the blue - I at first couldn't even make out who is calling me, because the other party had a very slurred speech. I asked the man on the phone to introduce himself, and sure as hell - it was Dave. He then told me that he has had a stroke that affected his brain and that he doesn't remember alot of things.

He apparently still thinks that I'm his friend and he managed to forget that I told him to beat it. Now he's a pants-making GBS threads cripple who likes to bawl on the phone; he's a lonely old man who's pushing 80 (and his MLM poo poo too, while we're at it.)
I need to get him out of my hair. How do gently caress do I do it? I'm not even answering the landline anymore, which is a drat shame, as I'm expecting some very important calls from the hospital.

By the way, dark clouds are gathering on the horizon again. Waldo did not get paid for February. I'll once again have to make do with 200€. I'm hearing the call of the dumpster sirens. :cripes:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Do what you did before and tell him you don't want to buy more stuff, and if you can tell him you don't want to talk to him anymore without being a soul-destroying dick about it then you don't really have anything to feel guilty about, if that's what you were concerned about.

If his stroked out brain can't get a handle on the idea that you don't want to talk to him you might have to put up with the occasional phone-call but you just have to work out what ends the calls quickest outside of straight hanging up on him, though that seems like it might also be an effective way to get him to leave you alone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

How do I tell a cripple to gently caress off?

Just walk away.

Or try telling him the cure worked and you're not sick anymore but you'll call back if the symptoms return.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Midjack posted:

Just walk away.

Or try telling him the cure worked and you're not sick anymore but you'll call back if the symptoms return.

Oh, it's not just the amazing miracle-cure pills, now he's trying to get me to fork over something like $30 for a bag of really amazing laundry detergent.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Guy sounds lonely, can you find him a girlfriend?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Oh, it's not just the amazing miracle-cure pills, now he's trying to get me to fork over something like $30 for a bag of really amazing laundry detergent.

Is he willing to ship outside of Croatia?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
So you're broke and a dying man with no family just contacted you out of the blue? I can't think of any solution to this at all...

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Tortuga posted:

So you're broke and a dying man with no family just contacted you out of the blue? I can't think of any solution to this at all...

Is same-sex marriage legal in Croatia?

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Is same-sex marriage legal in Croatia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Croatia

It's more of a registered partnership thing, so sorta.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

God dammit, the mall cops kicked me out from the mall because they saw me rifling through garbage bins in search of empty bottles. Pffft, JERKOPS. I won't go inside for a few weeks so that they forget my face (and I'll possibly shave my hairy mug, I haven't shaved my beard since Christmas 2016) and then I'll go back inside and go back to my trashcans. Good thing that the warmer days are coming, there will be an abundance of empty soda bottles at the bus station - and nobody will give me attitude at the bus station.

Another thing, I decided that I'll become Christian. See, I was never baptized, which means that I inherently fail as a Croat, and I've had so many divine interventions throughout my retarded life that I'm lead to believe that becoming a Catholic is the least I can do to thank the guy upstairs. :)

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Go for it, it could be the best decision of your life!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's funny to me because I was baptized and I'm now actively trying to get my name removed from all church records.

If baptism were transferable you could have mine

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

spankmeister posted:

That's funny to me because I was baptized and I'm now actively trying to get my name removed from all church records.

If baptism were transferable you could have mine

You know, my mom did plenty of things wrong while raising me, but she was cool regarding one thing; she said that I would not be baptized by default as an infant because I'm entitled to my own free will, and that only I can decide if I want to go through with this or not. Well, I've waited over three decades with this, and I feel now that it's time for me to join the Church. Sure, it may sound silly, but I really really want to become Christian. :)

Another thing, there is a running joke over here that says that your average Croat is a bigger Catholic than the Pope himself - religion is Serious loving Business in Croatia. As an atheist, I always felt like an outcast, but it doesn't have to be that way! :)

edit: you know what else my mom did right? She gave me fluoride pills when I was a kid, so I'd have strong and healthy teeth. The net result is that in my 34 years of life, I've racked up one and only one filling on the molar which I got like.... fifteen years ago and that's all there is to it. People don't believe me when I tell them that I've never had serious toothache and that I brush only in the morning, if at all. Goddamit my teeth are made out of titanium - I had otherwise two completely healthy wisdom teeth pulled simply because they were impacted; there wasn't enough room in my jaw for them to erupt normally. Thus, I have a fabled spare tooth. :)

I also think I'm a dental hypochondriac. I visit my dentist like every couple of months and have them clean the tartar off my incisors because I'm afraid of periodontitis. My dentist once told me if everybody had teeth like I do, that she'd be out of work. :)

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 8, 2017

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I went on a tour of Trogir and the tour guide joked that the reason there were so many bell towers in the city was because the Croats liked to party hard, and thus needed many places to seek redemption :D

milkrun
Mar 7, 2007

I watched a copy of Moonlight that had embedded Croatian subtitles, was that your work Fatbeard?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

God dammit, the mall cops kicked me out from the mall because they saw me rifling through garbage bins in search of empty bottles. Pffft, JERKOPS. I won't go inside for a few weeks so that they forget my face (and I'll possibly shave my hairy mug, I haven't shaved my beard since Christmas 2016) and then I'll go back inside and go back to my trashcans. Good thing that the warmer days are coming, there will be an abundance of empty soda bottles at the bus station - and nobody will give me attitude at the bus station.

Another thing, I decided that I'll become Christian. See, I was never baptized, which means that I inherently fail as a Croat, and I've had so many divine interventions throughout my retarded life that I'm lead to believe that becoming a Catholic is the least I can do to thank the guy upstairs. :)

The good lord giveth empty bottles, then the bad mall cops taketh away

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JERKOPS... Christian

oh no

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

It wasn't always this way. As little as three to four years ago, I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept of love and friendship and I didn't deal very well with emotions, just like Ikari Shinji from Evangelion. Today, I'm gradually changing for the better and I'm astounded by the human warmth I'm experiencing for the first time in my life. It's not because I wasn't loved and appreciated before - I could have been showered with friendship but all of that would have flown right above my head - the same thing that happened to Shinji. He too had an emotional renaissance at the end of the series.

The original ending of Evangelion is the true and most meaningful ending, OP.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ASF, are there any similar-to-Amazon things in Croatia? Such that if I want to order you things, they could be sent to you from inside the EU and arrive in Croatia without much hassle, but paid for USD?

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Well, there's Amazon...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TitanG posted:

Well, there's Amazon...

Nope, the closest thing is amazon in Italy. And I don't speak a word of Italian, dunno how to navigate the pages and search for shoes.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Euro Amazon coverage is kind of lacking. Closest English-language Amazon store is .co.uk. That's your best bet until brexit to get stuff to croatia without customs taxes on the way.

I'm also kind of jealous of your teeth, ASF. No matter what I do my dentist seems to find something wrong in one of my teeth every couple visits. I'm not sure but it would probably be a lot worse if i'd ever maintained a serious opiate habit

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Nah, opioids cause respiratory depression which induces salivation so they're probably a net good for your teeth.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Nah, opioids cause respiratory depression which induces salivation so they're probably a net good for your teeth.

Yeah I guess amphetamines would've been a better example of drugs that gently caress up your dental health (though a lot of former junkies I know have pretty bad teeth) but I'm not sure Fatbeard's ever mentioned any fondness for those. Speaking of which, is crystal meth a thing in Croatia/Zagreb? I don't know anyone that uses it or where to get it at all (in w. europe) but I seem to recall reports that popularity has grown sharply in central/eastern europe the past years.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Old Binsby posted:

Euro Amazon coverage is kind of lacking. Closest English-language Amazon store is .co.uk. That's your best bet until brexit to get stuff to croatia without customs taxes on the way.

I use amazon.de all the time in English. The Italian one should have an English setting as well too.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I'm a man who simply cannot resist strange pussy.

Couple of nights ago, it was around three in the morning I think, I went over to collect mail - the utility bills for the property C where Waldo is living because I had nothing better to do in those godforsaken hours. When I gained entry to the lobby where the mailboxes are, I was greeted with a series of meows emanating from the dark, and sure as hell, there was a plump white cat with a noticeably dusty coat charging at me - and the cat immediately started rubbing against my legs. I thought that the cat may be hungry - especially as it just wouldn't shut up even when petted - so I let it out of the building thinking that someone locked it up by accident, but no - the cat started following me like a retarded puppy - it followed me into my goddamn elevator and then into the apartment, which was sort of cute. I gave it some spam and water which the cat ate. Then, as I was petting it, the cat scratched my finger a bit - it was a feline "enough of this" gesture and I said okay cat, you're going back home. I strongly suspect it was someone's cat that temporarily ended up being booted out of the apartment on the account of being annoying at three in the morning. Sure thing, the cat followed me once again and back into the property C stairwell where I left it. The cat was well fed but its coat was dusty for some reason, and its pawsies were obviously not clean, as my scratched finger feels rather itchy now. :)

Old Binsby posted:

Yeah I guess amphetamines would've been a better example of drugs that gently caress up your dental health (though a lot of former junkies I know have pretty bad teeth) but I'm not sure Fatbeard's ever mentioned any fondness for those.
I'm a drooler by nature. That's, uh, a good thing? Dunno.

Old Binsby posted:

Speaking of which, is crystal meth a thing in Croatia/Zagreb?

Not really. Ecstasy is relatively common, and occasional snortables like speed, meth is rather meh and I don't know anyone who does it. At least that's what I was lead to believe.

Waldo is at a turning point - he said he's gonna borrow two months' worth of piled-up rent money which he owes me and if he doesn't score the cash, that he's gonna repaint the walls in the apartment C and move out. We'll see how that'll go.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Not really. Ecstasy is relatively common, and occasional snortables like speed, meth is rather meh and I don't know anyone who does it. At least that's what I was lead to believe.

Speed and meth are the same thing dude.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Midjack posted:

Speed and meth are the same thing dude.

No it isn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

No it isn't.

Are they not both methamphetamine hydrochloride?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Midjack posted:

Are they not both methamphetamine hydrochloride?

No. Speed is amphetamine and meth is methamphetamine.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
in north america speed is methamphetamine, in europe speed is the much shorter, less dangerous amphetamine (usually amphetamine sulphate)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

No. Speed is amphetamine and meth is methamphetamine.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

in north america speed is methamphetamine, in europe speed is the much shorter, less dangerous amphetamine (usually amphetamine sulphate)

thanks much both of you

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Old Binsby posted:

I'm also kind of jealous of your teeth, ASF. No matter what I do my dentist seems to find something wrong in one of my teeth every couple visits. I'm not sure but it would probably be a lot worse if i'd ever maintained a serious opiate habit

Amazon covers all of EU, just not specifically. The only difference between .co.uk, .de, .it etc. are the local sellers which may or may not ship to abroad/your country, everything sold and shipped by amazon itself has a uniform price across all the pages. You can also switch .de .it etc. to english somewhere (I understand german well enough to never need it). They also ship to Croatia:

quote:

Standardversand

(Zustellung 5-9 Werktage nach Versand)

alle anderen Artikel*

7,50 EUR pro Lieferung  +

2,50 EUR pro kg (anteilig)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

I'm constantly amazed as to how friendly Croats are.
I went out to collect bottles and cans something like an hour ago, and I went to the bus station because I saw an old man smoking there so I decided to bum out a ciggy. First of all, not only that the guy gave me a sizable wad of rolling tobacco, some woman then jumped in for no reason and gave me two cigarettes. And let's not forget a few incidents in which people literally ran after me so they would give me money, no questions asked. Geez I love my country and its people. :)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Do you have any memories of the war of independance, ASF? Were you effected in any way?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Do you have any memories of the war of independance, ASF? Were you effected in any way?

I remember everything very well. Zagreb was out of reach of conventional artillery and the enemy only had obsolete ground-attack aircraft such as MiG-21 to attempt to wreck poo poo - and they targeted the barracks and, what I personally saw, the Croatian TV transmitter on the Medvednica mountain. I was just watching TV when the screen went blank, I went out on the balcony and saw that the transmitter got smoked.
Otherwise, Zagreb had it relatively easy because JRZ didn't have large carpet-bombing aircraft which are useful if you want to tear the town to pieces, like in World War II.

The biggest, direct attack took place in 1995, when the Serbs launched a few SCUD missiles with cluster bombs in general direction of my town. Back then, I was living something like 100 yards from the high school building, and one of the rockets fell right on the playground, scattering explosive cylinders, creating a huge crater in asphalt - and the shrapnel from the bomb went all the way up to the third floor. So basically, I was this close to getting bombed, especially as those were unguided missiles which could land absolutely anywhere. It's also a major miracle that nobody was hurt from this explosion; the playground was empty because everyone was inside having their classes. The bomb squad had a lot of work sweeping the unexploded cylinders, they had to check every roof of the surrounding tenement buildings, "just in case".

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
They should have been more thorough in their search

quote:

On 10 October 2013, a cluster bomb which failed to detonate was discovered on the roof of the Klaićeva children's hospital, 18 years after the attacks. After surgery on several patients had been completed, the Zagreb police bomb disposal squad was given clearance to detonate the ordnance. No one was injured in the detonation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Midjack posted:

thanks much both of you

ASFB is also distinguishing based on delivery method -- he's referring to speed as the snorted powder, as opposed to meth for crystal meth which is smoked (really vapourised) in a meth pipe. So even if the thing being snorted is methamphetamine, it may still be referred to as "speed" rather than "meth".

It's like the difference between cocaine and crack.