Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Welcone to Li-ion batteries.

I mean, yes, it sucks. poo poo swelling up inside your mac and destroying poo poo because they engineered it with sub-milimeter tolerances blows, but the only real solution is to either go back to the days of detachable battery packs or develop a new technology for energy storage that doesn't have all the nasty pitfalls that li-ion does.

In the short term, consider batteries use items and replace them every 3-4 years.

edit: this is an industry-wide problem. Google "Dell swollen battery" "toshiba swollen battery" etc and you fill find forums full of people with the exact same problem no matter the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

magnificent7 posted:

Holy gently caress. I came here to ask about melting/exploding/expanding parts of mac laptops.

I've got a 2011 Macbook Pro that started getting freaky about two months ago, (startup screen had blue lines, never got past start up). My wife left it in to charge, it got really warm, so I unplugged it and left it alone until I was ready to take it to the store to have somebody look at it.

I carry the FLAT, not-plugged-in laptop to my car on Saturday, head to the store/repair place, (a 20 minute drive at best). Long story short, the laptop didn't explode exactly, but something inside melted or expanded to twice it's height, bending my laptop like a pizza box with a beer can inside.

I didn't take it into the repair shop. I kind of looked at it befuddled and sort of accepted that this was now an ex-mac laptop. It's sitting in my office now. I'm honestly not sure what the hell to do at this point. Not worried about the data, I use dropbox. But... what the hell.

Has ANYBODY heard of this happening? The thing has NOT been plugged in since December. When I picked it up on Saturday, it was flat, unremarkable. A car ride of 20 minutes, and something inside has poo poo the bed. I'm guessing it's the battery, but I haven't taken it apart, yet.

fake edit: holy poo poo, googled and discovered.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/swollen-battery-macbook-pro-wrecked-what-are-my-options.1923483/
6 year old battery. That's what happens. Were you getting a service battery message at all?

You're lucky it didn't catch on fire.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13745262

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No alerts about replacing the battery. I'll post a photo when I get home.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/28/14760400/iphone-8-2017-rumors-usb-c-lightning
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/7/14531478/apple-uac-usb-c-iphone-lightning-replacement

.... More Dongles?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No, just like they said, WSJ likely has it wrong and Apple is just going to package a Lightning->USB C cable with iPhone instead of USB A.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there any data out there on how often quad core MBPs (from various years) throttle the CPU when plugged in? Is it something that only happens in unusual situations, or is throttling pretty much guaranteed when running at full load for an extended period of time?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

To answer a question a few pages back about docks for the new MacBooks: we've finally gotten hold of some to test at work and after a couple of days of solid use I can safely say that the Dell USB-C dock they made for the Latitude range works really well out of the box. It's USB-C so the bandwidth is a bit limited but I've been able to do gigabit Ethernet, a 27" screen over mini-DP and a mouse/keyboard/USB hard drive with no problems while also having it charge the MBP over the one cable.

Ironically, the Thunderbolt 3 version of the same dock (which is 3x the size and has a noisy fan in it, would not recommend) doesn't work for anything beyond charging because Apple seems to have blocked all TB3 peripherals that haven't been 'certified' from working :downs:. You can get around the block by disabling SIP and running some scripts but yeah, we're not doing that in an enterprise environment.

Still waiting on our supplier to source the Belkin and Elgato TB3 docks to test those.

E: I should mention this is on a touchbar 15" pro. I couldn't get the first gen retina MacBook to drive the screen through the dock but it charged/picked up the network and peripherals just fine.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 28, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Splinter posted:

Is there any data out there on how often quad core MBPs (from various years) throttle the CPU when plugged in? Is it something that only happens in unusual situations, or is throttling pretty much guaranteed when running at full load for an extended period of time?

15" rMBPs typically do not throttle below nominal clockspeed under normal circumstances.

If it does then it's likely a thermal issue. Badly applied or old thermal interface material, dust or lint accumulation in the heatsink or very high environment temperature.
My 2013 rMBP with 2.3 Ghz holds 2.8 Ghz under full load and never throttles below nominal clockspeed, not even when the dGPU is running.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I worked for Apple for 5 years, expanded batteries were extremely common.

9/10 it was a result of people ignoring the 'service battery' warning. In most instances, once the battery was replaced, the top case would 'pop back' into form and continue working. On the Airs at least.

Very occasionally the trackpad glass would fracture as well. SOP was to charge the customer for a new battery, but to replace any damaged components for free.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Doesn’t the “Service Battery” warning misleadingly say that the computer is safe to use?

Maybe that’s just the “Replace Battery” warning.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeast posted:

9/10 it was a result of people ignoring the 'service battery' warning. In most instances, once the battery was replaced, the top case would 'pop back' into form and continue working. On the Airs at least.

Very occasionally the trackpad glass would fracture as well. SOP was to charge the customer for a new battery, but to replace any damaged components for free.

Popcorn! :jerky:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My white plastic MacBook battery swelled up to the point that I was getting phantom trackpad clicks. Never saw a warning about it. Apple replaced it out of warranty for free.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is this a common issue with mid-2014 15" MBPs w/ integrated graphics?

It came on suddenly tonight and was a little surprising. I do still have a valid AppleCare protection plan, luckily.

eames
May 9, 2009

Are those many individual stuck pixels? I had that appear slowly over the years on my 2013 15" rMBP.
It was image retention related because I could see the shapes of the content displayed in the stuck pixels. Fortunately they replaced the display for free because the antireflective coating peeled.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Any recommendations for a case to fit the new 13" Pros? (The soft zip-up variety, not the plastic shells.) I ordered one but it's clearly just for a generic 13" laptop and is a bit too baggy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TACD posted:

Any recommendations for a case to fit the new 13" Pros? (The soft zip-up variety, not the plastic shells.) I ordered one but it's clearly just for a generic 13" laptop and is a bit too baggy.

Booq Mamba
STM makes some nice ones too

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Incase

https://www.incase.com/shop/devices/macbook/mackbook-pro-2016-with-touch-bar/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

When I checked a month or so ago, Incase's offerings were still for the old MacBook Pros regardless of their marketing toward the Touch Bar models. Their 15" sleeves still left a ton of room for my Touch bar MBP. Hopefully by now they've updated their offerings but I wouldn't trust the website. Go into the store to make sure.

For the 15" Touch Bar models I've found sleeves designed for the 14" Surface Book Pro work really well, but that doesn't help anyone asking for a 13" sleeve. :(

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

When I checked a month or so ago, Incase's offerings were still for the old MacBook Pros regardless of their marketing toward the Touch Bar models. Their 15" sleeves still left a ton of room for my Touch bar MBP. Hopefully by now they've updated their offerings but I wouldn't trust the website. Go into the store to make sure.

Good call!

I should've added, I normally buy the Incase stuff from the Apple Retail store, so yeah - put your computer in it to make sure its what you're after.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eames posted:

Are those many individual stuck pixels? I had that appear slowly over the years on my 2013 15" rMBP.
It was image retention related because I could see the shapes of the content displayed in the stuck pixels. Fortunately they replaced the display for free because the antireflective coating peeled.

It was a green tint all over the screen, which developed into the shape of two burnt-in green windows after a reboot.

After a few more reboots and an hour of waiting the screens went back to normal :iiam:

Best guess after googling is that I introduced static electricity with a microfiber cloth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buca di Bepis posted:

It was a green tint all over the screen, which developed into the shape of two burnt-in green windows after a reboot.

After a few more reboots and an hour of waiting the screens went back to normal :iiam:

Best guess after googling is that I introduced static electricity with a microfiber cloth.

And that static charge caused repulsion between two layers in the screen and temporary delamination?

Interesting.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

TACD posted:

i have a leather knomo and it's good

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Read that as leather kimono, laughed, and then google told me that it's actually a thing.

I have learned today.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Would I be able to use a rMBP 15" as a secondary display for another rMBP 15" using a Thunderbolt cable and Target Display mode? I'm doing a quick edit in someone's house this Sunday and don't want to lug the 27" into the car with me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Would I be able to use a rMBP 15" as a secondary display for another rMBP 15" using a Thunderbolt cable and Target Display mode? I'm doing a quick edit in someone's house this Sunday and don't want to lug the 27" into the car with me.

No

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeast posted:

YIKES. I said I'd post photos a few days ago. Here it is, nothing nearly as bad as those, but hey. Take a look at my $1100 doorstop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Booq Mamba
STM makes some nice ones too

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll check these out!

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I just picked up a refurb 2015 13" MacBook Pro this week and it's mostly all good. One thing though - twice I've closed my computer at around 35-40% battery power and woken up the next day to a dead battery. Do MacBooks no longer go to sleep when the lid is closed, or am I a moron? :confused:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ub posted:

I just picked up a refurb 2015 13" MacBook Pro this week and it's mostly all good. One thing though - twice I've closed my computer at around 35-40% battery power and woken up the next day to a dead battery. Do MacBooks no longer go to sleep when the lid is closed, or am I a moron? :confused:

It's not sleeping for some reason. I closed the lid on mine last week and it drops like 2%/day at the most

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ub posted:

As far as I'm aware you usually can't even change that behavior intentionally without a third-party utility, I remember using InsomniaX to disable lid sleep.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ub posted:

It shouldn't be burning through that much battery, but I think newer MBP's do low level CPU/network stuff even in sleep mode. Maybe it's like when you get a new phone and your battery life sucks for the first week as it's backing up or updating.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I have a Early 2013 rMBP (Out of Warranty) with a cycle count of 218 and at ~83% health. Purchased in November of last year with 194 cycle count and (mostly) have it plugged in.

I know Apple replaces them under warranty if they're under 80%, but my current situation with cycle count/health seems a bit off, especially since it seems to drain extremely fast.

Diagnostics run by the Genius showed no signs of a faulty battery, so I'm wondering if I should just pony up the $200 soon or just wait.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EconOutlines posted:

I have a Early 2013 rMBP (Out of Warranty) with a cycle count of 218 and at ~83% health. Purchased in November of last year with 194 cycle count and (mostly) have it plugged in.

I know Apple replaces them under warranty if they're under 80%, but my current situation with cycle count/health seems a bit off, especially since it seems to drain extremely fast.

Diagnostics run by the Genius showed no signs of a faulty battery, so I'm wondering if I should just pony up the $200 soon or just wait.

You could try but the battery is just losing its capacity as it gets old

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You could try but the battery is just losing its capacity as it gets old

So are you saying the battery is losing its capacity as it gets old or as the MBP gets old? The battery was replaced exactly a year ago.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

It shouldn't be burning through that much battery, but I think newer MBP's do low level CPU/network stuff even in sleep mode. Maybe it's like when you get a new phone and your battery life sucks for the first week as it's backing up or updating.

Weird. Just did a test, leaving it closed and not plugged in for two hours - battery % stayed where it was. So, good. My cycle count is only 16, and the battery life when I'm using it is way better than where my old MacBook Air was, so I'm happy.

Was just wondering if there was some weird new behavour that I wasn't aware of that would cause it to go from 40% to dead overnight. Cuz yeah, I remember that getting a MacBook to stay awake with the lid closed usually took some effort.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The laptops are supposed to be able to last 30 days sleeping. Something is wrong I think.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
My 2016 ate like half a battery the first night I had it closed. It's totally normal now. I chalked it up to indexing or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EconOutlines posted:

So are you saying the battery is losing its capacity as it gets old or as the MBP gets old? The battery was replaced exactly a year ago.

Check the manufactured date of the battery. Doesn't matter how old the MacBook itself is

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Check the manufactured date of the battery. Doesn't matter how old the MacBook itself is

July 4th, 2015 according to coconutBattery, so I guess that could be my issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ub posted:

Weird. Just did a test, leaving it closed and not plugged in for two hours - battery % stayed where it was. So, good. My cycle count is only 16, and the battery life when I'm using it is way better than where my old MacBook Air was, so I'm happy.

Was just wondering if there was some weird new behavour that I wasn't aware of that would cause it to go from 40% to dead overnight. Cuz yeah, I remember that getting a MacBook to stay awake with the lid closed usually took some effort.

The Terminal command

code:
pmset -g log | grep -v Assertions
is a good place to start figuring out what was going on.