Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Hollow Talk posted:

Lisp is a speech impediment.

Lisp is an impediment to communicating ideas clearly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

gonadic io posted:

haskell is named after a mathematician
i thought it was named after a kid who pretends to be well-behaved but is actually a huge jerk

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Python is named after a sketch comedy synonymous with insufferable nerds.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
perl should be either shot through the heart or abandoned on the bottom of the ocean

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

Python is named after a sketch comedy synonymous with insufferable nerds.

Yeah but that one's actually true

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
swift is named after Taylor Swift, one of the most famous computer security researchers of all time.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
swift has elaborate delusions that drag on too long

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

rjmccall posted:

swift has elaborate delusions that drag on too long

self-deprecating joke detected?

guile is the street fighter character with the coolest hair

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ochowie posted:

I think they try to structure applications in a way that's similar to Rails. Also, in some cases they are opinionated about the stack in a similar way to Rails. I don't think the language is similar at all.

a witch posted:

I was really turned off by elixir early on (around 0.7). people had an amazing platform and they just used it to reimplement rails. I've never seen any elixir since then outside the context of Phoenix. if you want rails why not use rails? if you want otp why not use Erlang?

the default phoenix project structure is superficially rails-like yeah. that said (especially with upcoming generator changes) the community encourages you to structure your overall application as a OTP-app backend with the Phoenix application as a thin layer over that. it is kinda opinionated wrt the stack by default, but just pass "--no-ecto --no-brunch" to the generator and bam, you now have a de-opinionated "hello world" web app

as for elixir outside of phoenix, elixir is good at the same stuff as erlang, which basically means servers. and well, right now if you have a server it probably has a component that speaks HTTP and everything else is super easy to write once you know the basics of elixir.

as far as "if you want otp why not use Erlang?", elixir is just way nicer to use. the syntax is a million times smoother (not just ruby vs prolog style, but the pipeline operator, protocols, etc.), mix vs rebar, macros, all make for a nicer developer experience. I would 100% use elixir for an otp app over erlang (and in fact, I am - my current project is mainly an otp app with a thin phoenix frontend that depends on the otp app)

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Racket is what you turn to after you failed to land a proper job because of your lisp.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
elm is an ancient mail reader for ancient greybeards

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
coldfusion is a pathological science

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
java starts off stimulating but long-term exposure leaves you shaking uncontrollably and unable to sleep

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

please don't talk about cf, i'm getting flashbacks to my last job

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ochowie posted:

My main complaint (which could be dead wrong) is that all of the Rails/Django-like applications tend to herd you towards having them serve the UI layer and use the templating tools they provide. Obviously if you're using Elm you're not doing it this way but it seems like that's what the platform wants you to do while I prefer to have the UI and backend be distinct and communicate only via an API layer.

well, thats what the beginner tutorials for django do, but I'm not sure a beginner tutorial should do anything else. Probably something like 10% of my Django projects use the django templating layer and the rest of my projects mostly just serve up an API.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Imagine you inherited a sprawling web application everyone uses constantly *and* you know almost nothing about web development *and* aren't even a decent programmer *and* it has lots of exposure to APIs and data sources that change. My main strategy is keeping expectations very low while trying to build own django nightmare replacement for the next guy to inherit. (My experience probably wouldn't be much better if it was a perfect language, to be fair)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

objective-c is wordier than an objectivist

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

nobody uses that anymore, they've moved on to Go or such

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Bognar posted:

Nice.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bognar posted:

:master:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bognar posted:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Bognar posted:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bognar posted:

I'm assuming there's something American politics in this that I'm missing? please red rover me so I can no longer feel inadequate

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm assuming there's something American politics in this that I'm missing? please red rover me so I can no longer feel inadequate

SCOTUS nominee Neil Gorsuch.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

:nice:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Bognar posted:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
c is named after the speed of light because many people think it is the fastest a programming language can be.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

JawnV6 posted:

when you're saying "x86 decodes to RISC internally anyway" that's not equivalent to "and we'd be better off if it was RISC everywhere!"

ucode is incredibly verbose. it's totally reasonable for a uop to have 2 64 bit immediates, but if you had to store that raw in memory, fetch it from disk into DRAM, fetch it into the caches (and evict 16 2byte branch to fit it), the system is awful

sandy had a 1.5k uop cache, but note that doesn't say anything about how many bits it takes to do that. it was also "grown into," starting with holding tight loops hot right before the decoder, then right after the decoder, then the full blown uop cache. in general it's really hard to point to a x86 feature that grew up based on those kind of constraints and use it to "prove" something bad about the ISA

I'm not saying that we should go RISC everywhere in fact I was arguing the opposite. My point was that RISC is used where its needed and CISC code density is usually much better

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Malcolm XML posted:

My point was that RISC is used where its needed
i still disagree that ucode is meaningfully called "risc" but it's one of those things idk how to argue such a fine point when everyone uses that label anyway

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

JawnV6 posted:

i still disagree that ucode is meaningfully called "risc" but it's one of those things idk how to argue such a fine point when everyone uses that label anyway

same

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bognar posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bognar posted:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

perl should be either shot through the heart or abandoned on the bottom of the ocean

i would be a-ok with this if we could get rid of bash at the same time

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Arcsech posted:

as far as "if you want otp why not use Erlang?", elixir is just way nicer to use. the syntax is a million times smoother (not just ruby vs prolog style, but the pipeline operator, protocols, etc.), mix vs rebar, macros, all make for a nicer developer experience. I would 100% use elixir for an otp app over erlang (and in fact, I am - my current project is mainly an otp app with a thin phoenix frontend that depends on the otp app)

I disagree <:mad:>

I personally dislike Elixir's syntax (murder anyone who uses parens-free function calls); protocols are nice, pipeline is alright. Rebar was poo poo, but Rebar3 is nice (disclaimer: I'm one of the rebar3 maintainers and am obviously partial), don't want no macros to touch my production code (though they're nice for toys).

The big difference between the two is likely going to be community-wise. The Elixir community takes a big focus on web apps and web-related server stuff, whereas Erlang got even more strongly re-centered on infrastructure components (and servers) since Elixir came around.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

abigserve posted:

Is there a language this thread actually likes because I've never seen anyone post about anything being good, ever (I don't read more than a page back)

fwiw people don't tend to hate on haskell that much

like, for the academic crowd "avoid success at all costs", well, it did and thus created a really good environment for the whacky stuff

and for the more industry crowd, well a whole bunch of stuff owes a debt to it. also pandoc actually works kinda well. java and c# have been improved by people from haskell gradually bringing things over.

it's not that haskell doesn't have its faults, but they're kinda upfront about it

i think it was spj who drew a chart of languages with axis like useful vs safe and put haskell as trying to push from the uselessly safe into the usefully safe, and in doing so, bringing the unsafe but useful into the same category. haskell isn't a great language but it's been complementary to many others.

it's been one of the most successful academic languages, also in a totally unconnected way, microsoft research funded ghc for years

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah I kind of imagine the lang innovation pipeline at microsoft going Haskell -> F# -> C#. I'm kind of very eager about playing with F# (and C#) at the next job

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MononcQc posted:

(murder anyone who uses parens-free function calls)

generally agree with this and it's one of the things I really dislike about elixir. That's what style guides and linters are for though.

I also can see how someone would prefer erlang and I can't fault anyone that picks it, especially for hyper-critical infrastructure. while I generally like macros (as long you don't go super nuts with them), I can for sure see avoiding them in some projects (along the lines of "no dynamic allocations" in NASA code or w/e).

you're probably right about the difference in the communities, on average. I do love how easy it is to use erlang code from elixir, and if you're serious about elixir you're going to learn how to read erlang anyway

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
afaik current lang status:

javascript: it's awful but we have no choice

python/ruby/etc: it's awful but the other choice is wrong

go: google finally made the fast, cross platform, native language we wanted when we first had java, but learned nothing from java. like generics. honorary plang

java/c#: shaggar was right, also heavy amounts of money for tools, docs, and years for third party libraries make a huge difference.

swfit/rust/elixir/elm/etc: it's new and we don't know if it is good or bad but it is better i guess

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

is there a good way to just like, compile java to an executable. like i don't care about bundling it with the runtime, but the only advantage Go seems to have over Java is being able to generate static binaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Asymmetrikon posted:

is there a good way to just like, compile java to an executable.

as far as i am aware it involves more suffering