Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Not even a skyhook, more like a floorhook. Jumpers had yet to be invented I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I can smell the cigarette smoke and pomade from that clip.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
People in the black and white days played basketball the way the grizzlies play today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcXCjDB0rE

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dokmo posted:

People in the black and white days played basketball the way the grizzlies play today.

Need a time traveling adventure movie or something where Westbrook goes back in time and dunks on all of those motherfuckers.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The hyper corrupt Daleyplex Rand-corp-1970s-BrooklynBronxing the South side of Chicago, pulling out public services and resources, so it would decay, crime would skyrocket, people with any resources would flee, the people remaining would get ptsd from having to walk down the streeet, and in 20 years politically connected developer scumbags could buy the land for nothing and gentrify it, is despicable. gently caress all of those people, every one of them should be in loving jail.

Also Obama's career as a "community organizer" mainly involved him getting black families to move out of valuable real estate so developers could build expensive condos there. That's who funded his state senate and senate run. Thanks Barack

dokmo posted:

It looks like all of my church league games against teams that didn't have black players

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 28, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

It depends on what is called a city or not. It's also based on estimates, which is going to eliminate certain cities that are not reporting during the year. So, its saying similar things but just cutting the data differently.

For example, Gary, Indiana isn't a city; it's a hellmouth.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

dokmo posted:

This is the only game footage NCAA coaches watch. Ever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Years back I took some guys from Minnesota on a roadtrip. I'm originally from Chicago, and when we stopped for gas I didn't notice they pulled off into East Chicago. I tried to explain what a bad idea this was, but the gas station helped out as the pattern of boarded windows made it pretty clear where the bullet path was. We decided to get gas over in Valparaiso.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

http://murderdata.org/

This journalist posts the FBI's murder statistics as well as clearance rates. In a story about his project he said that he intended to help find serial killers, but just found failed governments instead. All the post industrial areas that still have population but no economy have high murder and low clearance rates, for the reasons you would expect.
Sorry for the derail

Michael Beasley is out for 3 games with a hyperextended left knee

The Lakers called up David Nwaba from the D-fenders

quote:

Nwaba, who went undrafted out of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in 2016 and has never played in the NBA, signed a 10-day contract with the Lakers and will be in uniform for Tuesday night’s game against the Charlotte Hornets at Staples Center.

“It’s pretty crazy growing up a Lakers fans and dreaming about this day, and it’s finally happening,” Nwaba, a former Los Angeles University High standout, said after Tuesday’s shoot-around. “It’s a great feeling.”

Nwaba joins the Lakers from the team’s NBA Development League affiliate, the Los Angeles D-Fenders, where he averaged 13.9 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks in 38 games.

Known for his feisty defense, Nwaba had been particularly effective in his last 10 games, averaging 21.1 points on 65.6% shooting, 8.9 rebounds, 1.7 steals and 1.3 blocks in 34.2 minutes.

Asked what he can bring to a team that has allowed an average of 110.9 points a game, fourth-worst in the league, Nwaba said: “My defense. I think that’s why they’re interested in me. I’m gonna play hard, make the hustle plays and see what I can do when I get the opportunity.”

Nwaba, 24, was enjoying an off-day Monday afternoon when he was called into the Lakers’ El Segundo practice facility by D-Fenders Coach Coby Karl.

“I actually thought he wanted me to work a Boys & Girls [Club] clinic, so that was going through my mind,” Nwaba said. “The Lakers [executives and coaches] were there and told me the good news. I was shocked … and very happy.”

mike.digiovanna@latimes.com

http://fansided.com/2017/02/28/jamychal-green-memphis-grizzlies-new-grit-grind/
David Vertsberger did a nice profile of the best player in the NBA, Jamychal Green.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 28, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dejan Bimble posted:

The hyper corrupt Daleyplex Rand-corp-1970s-BrooklynBronxing the South side of Chicago, pulling out public services and resources, so it would decay, crime would skyrocket, people with any resources would flee, the people remaining would get ptsd from having to walk down the streeet, and in 20 years politically connected developer scumbags could buy the land for nothing and gentrify it, is despicable. gently caress all of those people, every one of them should be in loving jail.

Also Obama's career as a "community organizer" mainly involved him getting black families to move out of valuable real estate so developers could build expensive condos there. That's who funded his state senate and senate run. Thanks Barack

It looks like all of my church league games against teams that didn't have black players

Are you saying Southside With You is misleading me about young Barrack?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
He is your classic example of "point guard defense is so unimportant in the NBA that generally the best PG defenders in the world are in Europe or the Dleague." But there has been a slight groundswell to call him up for a while so I'm interested in seeing what he can do.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
PG Rory Sparrow
SG Hersey Hawkins
SF Jae Crowder
PF Larry Bird
C Robin Lopez

Bench:
Chris Andersen
Kevin Duckworth
Jay Williams
Kevon Looney
Boobie Gibson
Brian Cardinal
Shane Larkin

Chick Hearn calling the game

Dr. Furious fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 28, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

http://murderdata.org/

This journalist posts the FBI's murder statistics as well as clearance rates. In a story about his project he said that he intended to help find serial killers, but just found failed governments instead. All the post industrial areas that still have population but no economy have high murder and low clearance rates, for the reasons you would expect.
Sorry for the derail

Michael Beasley is out for 3 games with a hyperextended left knee

The Lakers called up David Nwaba from the D-fenders

http://fansided.com/2017/02/28/jamychal-green-memphis-grizzlies-new-grit-grind/
David Vertsberger did a nice profile of the best player in the NBA, Jamychal Green.

This is a great article. Thank you for sharing it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dr. Furious posted:

PG Rory Sparrow
SG Hersey Hawkins
SF Jae Crowder
PF Larry Bird
C Robin Lopez

Bench:
Chris Andersen
Kevin Duckworth
Jay Williams
Kevon Looney
Boobie Gibson
Brian Cardinal
Shane Larkin

Chick Hearn calling the game

:golfclap:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dr. Furious posted:

Jay Williams

That's Jayson because he's a jailbird right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I can't remember who the previous mayor of the city was, but they put a hiring freeze on law enforcement during the recession. It lasted long enough that, through attrition, the number of officers had fallen significantly (more than 25%). They are trying to hire more, but it isn't going as quickly as anyone would like. It also doesn't help that one of the requirements is (was?) to live in the city proper. That may have changed, though.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 1, 2017

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

i sure do love me some old tyme basketball

https://twitter.com/KofieYeboah/status/836431675752054784

that instantaneous skyhook at 6 seconds, the what the gently caress-er from the baseline at 26, the spurs-esque ball movement at 30.

It's not just the instant hook at 6 seconds (that is like 3 feet off the rim), it's that his teammate throws up the exact same shot the moment he touches the ball a second later!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

that instantaneous skyhook at 6 seconds, the what the gently caress-er from the baseline at 26, the spurs-esque ball movement at 30.

Not as bad as expected honestly

Couple of plays were modern

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 1, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Wizards signed Brandon Jennings according to Twitter.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Libertine posted:

Probably the best match-up of team + player, tbh.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Kibner posted:

Probably the best match-up of team + player, tbh.

Morey should've signed him for the Rockets bench

gotta chuck em all

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
That old timey clip is pretty good. Where's the clip of the guy juking a dude to the ground just by moving his foot back an inch.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

Perfect. Bye Trey. B is going to step through

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Trey Burke might still see time since Satoransky is their only back-up SG and he's not that great. Burke/Jennings could see a lot of time together.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/836738562049466369

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

false flag

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I do not like that news.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Tae posted:

Trey Burke might still see time since Satoransky is their only back-up SG and he's not that great. Burke/Jennings could see a lot of time together.

Uh excuse me I think you are forgetting exciting Wizards rookie Sheldon Mac.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Probably gonna see McRae cut, which sucks because he was my long skinny boy :smith:

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Rick posted:

He is your classic example of "point guard defense is so unimportant in the NBA that generally the best PG defenders in the world are in Europe or the Dleague." But there has been a slight groundswell to call him up for a while so I'm interested in seeing what he can do.

Saw him in two D-League games against the Austin Spurs this year and can confirm he is fast, strong and has a lot of tenacity. It will be very interesting to see what he can do in the NBA assuming he gets minutes.

I also am really cheering for him since he was very nice and acknowledged me after the D-League game. I was the only one in the place wearing purple and gold and he, Josh Maggette, and Jeff Ayres all gave a smile and a wave as they walked off the court. :glomp:

Edit: goddammit this avatar is awful.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
This just occurred to me but Andrew Bogut is a dirty player with bad political opinions

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

robin lopez literally just threw up that exact hook shot

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rip Durant

Someone make a my next chapter meme with a handicap symbol

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

misdirectomy posted:

This just occurred to me but Andrew Bogut is a dirty player with bad political opinions

Yes. He's very good at illegal screens

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

good, this clears the way for rockets to sign luis scola

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I kind of wish the Rocket got Bogut just so Beverley and him can team up pounding on Curry for 48 minutes in a 7 game series.

Actually no I don't I hate Bogut's dirty play and opinions.

Actually no I don't I love how he trolls Mark Jackson.

Man Bogut has me all conflicted feeling.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Rip Durant

Someone make a my next chapter meme with a handicap symbolgrave

too much?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/836748156712943616

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bogut's been playing too much Duke Nukem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lockback posted:

Years back I took some guys from Minnesota on a roadtrip. I'm originally from Chicago, and when we stopped for gas I didn't notice they pulled off into East Chicago. I tried to explain what a bad idea this was, but the gas station helped out as the pattern of boarded windows made it pretty clear where the bullet path was. We decided to get gas over in Valparaiso.

My only experience with Valparaiso was seeing Eyehategod play a set there last year. The only reason I was there was because they can't cross the border to Canada and me and some buddies thought it would be a fun road trip to go down for a weekend and see back to back shows in Indianapolis and Valparaiso.

The bouncer had meth mouth and didn't believe that the tickets on our cell phone were real and insisted that we have printed paper tickets (that were the same thing just printed off). The show was in a warehouse with no liquor license that had a temporary permit to sell bottles from six packs upstairs. There were about twenty people there.

We stayed nearby in Portage. We took an Uber from the show to a bar across the street from our motel called Mark O's. When we told our fifty year old driver the destination he said "Mark O's? That place is my loving jam! You guys getting some pussy tonight?"

Basically where I'm going with this is that if Valparaiso is nice compared to Gary and East Chicago, those places must be seriously hosed.

• Locked thread