Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

I'm trying, man!

What I'm going for in general: Doctor Who's got a way with weird concepts, that aren't outright scary but are creepy and unnerving. It's usually really simple and relatable things, which lets that inherent creepiness settle in and puts you in a space to grasp it. It's a hard thing to put my finger on, but I know it's there and I want to really play with it. It's the sort of thing that makes Blink and Flatline work so well, it's tapping into totally normal yet slightly irrational thoughts, things we notice or recognize and... not even terrifying them specifically, but just giving them something to struggle with and worry about. Who is definitely far from the only piece of media that does this, but it's got a particular willingness to and style of going about it that I'm trying to grab onto.

Specifically for this: I'm looking for when that crosses over into physical space and material objects, rather than living things or intangible concepts. The actual context I'm working with is that a reality-shaping engine is currently in the hands of someone who's not using it very well, so I'm trying to find some interesting and unusual ways to depict that that might elicit similar feelings of off-putting strangeness and unorthodox menace. Flatline had that in spades, but I'm struggling with other examples.

I think The God Complex was in the back of my mind, and it's definitely one of those episodes I'm talking about (my own dislike of the minotaur aside), but I don't really remember any times when it specifically made use of the weird space of the setting it came up with.

You're dealing with the Uncanny, friend. In this case it's specifically the revelation that the mundane and everyday has more than we can see.

I think that almost anything involving 11's crack in space and time, and the concept of people being erased from time falls into this category - how do we know what we've forgotten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ms Boods posted:

[wooden} Don't diss the mind probe. [/wooden]

Impulse laser?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Unkempt posted:

Eleventh Hour has the door that nobody notices, that sort of thing?

This is exactly what I was thinking of too. I love that moment when the Doctor says,"There's something I'm missing.... just in the corner of my eye" and the camera pans to reveal a door that was NOT there before.

The idea of growing up in a house with an occupant and a room constantly present every day of your life that you were simply unaware of was pretty unsettling to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The uncanny is definitely what I'm going for, yeah. The stuff that looks normal but breaks just enough to be unsettling. The Cracks brought a lot of it to play with and did really well at it, and there's been other, similar takes.

Another I thought of was definitely Night Terrors, and although that wasn't great as an episode the dollhouse was a great setting for this. Scaled appropriately so people can be in it like a normal house, everything being fake just felt wrong.

House of Leaves might be outside my skill level to pull from, but that's definitely something worth trying to work with at least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You can never go wrong cribbing from HPL either.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Episode 1 of the war games

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

Another I thought of was definitely Night Terrors, and although that wasn't great as an episode the dollhouse was a great setting for this. Scaled appropriately so people can be in it like a normal house, everything being fake just felt wrong.

I know you're going for televised stories, but The Chimes of Midnight has exactly what you're looking for, is a thread favorite, and costs only three bucks.

Audio may not be a bad place to crib from, really, since it has to rely on descriptive and conceptual creepiness without any visual shortcuts.

It's not as cheap, but The Death Collectors gets there, and Spider's Shadow (which comes included) maybe even moreso. Kingdom of Silver is based around a concept that should chill even hardened Cyber-fans, even if it doesn't quite stick the landing. Neverland, too, (and I'm ashamed to see so much ill spoken of it in the thread of late. Ashamed!) but it's the cap to a season-long arc.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm blanking right now. Memory Lane and The Nowhere Place, maybe? I always get those two mixed up, but they both gently caress with the idea of perceived space.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The March Listener's Title from Big Finish is The Mahogany Murderers! This Companion Chronicle was the debut of Jago and Litefoot, Investigators of Infernal Incidents, in the Big Finish family, and served as the pilot episode for their own long-running line of anthology releases. Well worth the $2.99!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cleretic posted:

The uncanny is definitely what I'm going for, yeah. The stuff that looks normal but breaks just enough to be unsettling. The Cracks brought a lot of it to play with and did really well at it, and there's been other, similar takes.

House of Leaves might be outside my skill level to pull from, but that's definitely something worth trying to work with at least.

House of Leaves is a goddamn tome that I don't fully grok (and I've written academic papers on it!), but the core haunted-house story of The Navidson Record is pretty easy to crib from.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

The March Listener's Title from Big Finish is The Mahogany Murderers! This Companion Chronicle was the debut of Jago and Litefoot, Investigators of Infernal Incidents, in the Big Finish family, and served as the pilot episode for their own long-running line of anthology releases. Well worth the $2.99!

This is one I didn't have, so very happy to be able to be grab it cheap

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

This is one I didn't have, so very happy to be able to be grab it cheap

Haha ur hosed say goodbye to your wallet. :smug:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Haha ur hosed say goodbye to your wallet. :smug:

I already have the first four series of J&L so that started a while ago, just didn't have their CC

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really hoping that the Jago and Litefoot Short Trips coming up plus this being the Listener's Title is the herald of a Jago and Litefoot sale...I could use some more of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

After The War posted:

I know you're going for televised stories, but The Chimes of Midnight has exactly what you're looking for, is a thread favorite, and costs only three bucks.

Audio may not be a bad place to crib from, really, since it has to rely on descriptive and conceptual creepiness without any visual shortcuts.

It's not as cheap, but The Death Collectors gets there, and Spider's Shadow (which comes included) maybe even moreso. Kingdom of Silver is based around a concept that should chill even hardened Cyber-fans, even if it doesn't quite stick the landing. Neverland, too, (and I'm ashamed to see so much ill spoken of it in the thread of late. Ashamed!) but it's the cap to a season-long arc.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm blanking right now. Memory Lane and The Nowhere Place, maybe? I always get those two mixed up, but they both gently caress with the idea of perceived space.

Oh god you have no idea what you've awakened. I've been avoiding Big Finish because I was scared of what I'd fall into if I let myself start, but the fact that it's more accessible to me than the classic series meant it's probably the best recommendation of all these so far. But hey, Chimes of Midnight is three dollars, that's not a very painful first step, and it's a standalone thing that doesn't require me to buy other things to follow it, so it's not too bad. And oh hey while sniffing around the site Spare Parts is also three dollars and I know that's a great standalone Cyberman storyFUCK IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING.

The only reason I didn't buy Neverland too is because it's not as well-spoken-of here and apparently requires prior understanding of previous stories I don't know.

EDIT: I may go out on the weekend to see if I can find House of Leaves, so you win that round too, DoctorWhat.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 1, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
J O I N U S

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

And oh hey while sniffing around the site Spare Parts is also three dollars and I know that's a great standalone Cyberman storyFUCK IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING.

That's how they get you. Ya think "I'll just check out a couple of the cheap early releases", nek minnit

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/flash-sale---jago-litefoot-series-1

Jago and Litefoot series one on sale for £5 through tomorrow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Don't know when I'll get a chance to actually listen to them but that is way too good a deal to pass up, grabbed that and Mahogany Murders. Another day, another range!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

Oh god you have no idea what you've awakened. I've been avoiding Big Finish because I was scared of what I'd fall into if I let myself start, but the fact that it's more accessible to me than the classic series meant it's probably the best recommendation of all these so far. But hey, Chimes of Midnight is three dollars, that's not a very painful first step, and it's a standalone thing that doesn't require me to buy other things to follow it, so it's not too bad. And oh hey while sniffing around the site Spare Parts is also three dollars and I know that's a great standalone Cyberman storyFUCK IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING.

The only reason I didn't buy Neverland too is because it's not as well-spoken-of here and apparently requires prior understanding of previous stories I don't know.

EDIT: I may go out on the weekend to see if I can find House of Leaves, so you win that round too, DoctorWhat.

Oh, you were looking at traveling this dark path with us, anyway. In that case, :getin:.

I usually recommend Marian Conspiracy and Storm Warning as ear training to start with, but the voices in Chimes should still be distinct enough for a beginner. Charley's backstory from Storm Warning drives the plot in Chimes, but you don't need to hear it first... especially since you already reference Father's Day.

If you do get hooked by 8, definitely think about doing his whole second "season" (Invaders From Mars to Neverland) - doing that is what finally turned me into a raving BF lunatic. It helped that there wasn't a particular Eighth Doctor "style" for them to copy from, although they're less dedicated to copying specific Doctors' eras as time goes on. Six (and later Seven) also benefits a lot from having stories set outside the range of their televised episodes.

What's our Classic Who familiarity? There's definitely some fanwank stuff in there, but by Neverland they're building as much off their own continuity as the inherited one.

Jerusalem posted:

Don't know when I'll get a chance to actually listen to them but that is way too good a deal to pass up, grabbed that and Mahogany Murders. Another day, another range!

It doesn't matter whether you have a chance to listen or not, it will happen. I can't think of another time in the past few years where I violated my "one story per day" policy as gleefully as the first J&L season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Of course it's the one box I already own, haha. Ah well.

Box of Bunnies posted:

That's how they get you. Ya think "I'll just check out a couple of the cheap early releases", nek minnit

I feel your pain. And I only started buying in earnest when the app was released.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 1, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

After The War posted:

What's our Classic Who familiarity? There's definitely some fanwank stuff in there, but by Neverland they're building as much off their own continuity as the inherited one.

I literally haven't had the opportunity to watch any Classic Who. I want to, but I can't track down its airing well enough.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I literally haven't had the opportunity to watch any Classic Who. I want to, but I can't track down its airing well enough.

It's all on dailymotion

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I wish it was still streaming somewhere. Now it's just :filez: until a supposed Britflix launches.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I wish it was still streaming somewhere. Now it's just :filez: until a supposed Britflix launches.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What about the Vervoids??????????????

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
If you're looking for terrifying and uncanny Dr Who audio, go no further than Minuet In Hell which is truly devilish.
Also there is Creed of the Cromon which has unsettling body horror. The sound effects really put you in the picture.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sad King Billy posted:

If you're looking for terrifying and uncanny Dr Who audio, go no further than Minuet In Hell which is truly devilish.
Also there is Creed of the Cromon which has unsettling body horror. The sound effects really put you in the picture.

No. No to all this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Colin to battle the Carrionite Witches:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/coming-soon---doctor-who-classic-doctors-new-monsters-2

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

And written by Simon Guerrier! Sure to be a winner with that combo of Doctor, monster and writer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Guerrier posted:

"The Carrionites get their power from words, and the Sixth Doctor is the most logophile of Doctors, so I knew there was something potent there. David Richardson suggested the 1980s setting, invoking something of the Enfield poltergeist of the late 1970s, and I drew a bit on Hammer's "To The Devil a Daughter" "

hnnngh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okay, that boxset is gonna rule

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Okay, that boxset is gonna rule

The only downside is no Seven.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Yeah, the only real disappointment there is both Four and Eight getting the Vashta Nerada. I mean I like them too, and I'm sure both stories will be good, but surely there's enough new Doctor enemies that they don't have to do the same one twice in the same set.

EDIT: I went to see what potential picks there could be that would be interesting, and am now distracted by the fact that holy poo poo, Adam Mitchell was the villain of IDW's 50th anniversary series and his wiki article is kind of hilarious as a result.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 2, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Why is it that I like Guerrier's Who stories but that Graceless leaves me completely cold?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the only real disappointment there is both Four and Eight getting the Vashta Nerada. I mean I like them too, and I'm sure both stories will be good, but surely there's enough new Doctor enemies that they don't have to do the same one twice in the same set.

EDIT: I went to see what potential picks there could be that would be interesting, and am now distracted by the fact that holy poo poo, Adam Mitchell was the villain of IDW's 50th anniversary series and his wiki article is kind of hilarious as a result.

Apparently the 4/8 Vashta Nerada stories are directly linked; so it's less laziness of reuse and more exploring the consequences of one doctor's adventures later on.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I...I loved Neverland...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I...I loved Neverland...

:hfive:

Yeah there is actually a hell of a lot to point to as lacking or bad, but McGann is fantastic and the story just hits all the right emotional beats for me.

Zagreus on the other hand.... :stare:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

:hfive:

Yeah there is actually a hell of a lot to point to as lacking or bad, but McGann is fantastic and the story just hits all the right emotional beats for me.

It really felt like a series finale, closing a story arc, Romana was great, and the way they "got rid" of dissidents with the Oubliette of Eternity...

Jerusalem posted:

Zagreus on the other hand.... :stare:

I...I hated Zagreus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Hey all - I haven't been in the Doctor Who threads here for a while, but I'm popping in to ask if anyone else is going to Regeneration Who. I had four people I was going to room and hang with, but they've all had to cancel, and going to conventions alone sucks :(

• Locked thread