Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong all, but I haven't seen demographics of Tanya, scum's wish, and Maid Dragon overlapping very much.

Zetsubou-san posted:

hi thread - here is my mid-season thoughts/ranking on what i'm watching

Youjo Senki - this tale of World War X (but with magic) is much better than last season's offering.
tied with
Kobayashi's Maid Dragon - OMG how is this so good?

ACCA - pretty good at the slow burn, has been worth sticking with.

Onihei - good period piece - the OP reminds me a lot of the OP to Cowboy Bebop.
tied with
Little Witch Academia - Sorry Trigger, you might have ranked higher but dragons exist.

Akiba's Trip - dropped after 2 episodes

Yeah, on opposite day.

E: aw drat, pagesnipe.

Uuuuuh, season update? I've had to put demi and LWA on hold due to time constraints, but maidragon and konosuba are still so freaking good.

a kitten posted:

I'm only still watching Maid Dragon of the brand new shows.

Continuing KonoSuba, IBO and March Comes In.

Gabriel, Demi-chan, and Kemono are still in my queue but who knows if I'll ever start them up again.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

ok im doing it ok ok ok ok

really really good
rakugo and lwa

really good
konosuba, demi chan and gabriel drop out

good
maid dragon and masamune kun revenge show thing

tia for listening to me

also i started to watch gintama and its the funniest show ever

Mentat Radnor posted:

I guess we're past the halfway point, so here's my take so far.

Best of the season, instant classics:
- March Comes in like a Lion
- Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju part 2

Good and worth watching:
- Little Witch Academia
- Maid Dragon

I can't stop watching this silly cute thing:
- Kemono Friends

If I get the time, I still want to check out ACCA and Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure I'll do a recap:

AOTS Contender:
-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid- Kyoani has by and large smashed my modest expectations for this adaptation, demonstrating an incredible mastery of tonal shifts between sweet family moments and absurdist SOL gags and dramatically improving on the original manga's artwork while still being instantly recognizable.

Fun, absolutely worth a look:
-Little Witch Academia - Fun, funny, very well animated, but after all the excitement I saw leading up to it, I'm a touch disappointed that I don't have more substantial compliments for it just yet. Still plenty of time, though.
-Dragon Ball Super (if it counts?) - It's Dragon Ball. It's doing Dragon Ball things - which is to say it's a drat riot. A little on the ugly side and a bit slow at times, but still. Modern day dragon ball.
-Gabriel Dropout - Fun, funny, pretty well animated. Not as deceptively strong as the last Dogakobo show I watched, but a highly entertaining and well executed comedy regardless. Hail Satan.

Pleasant, if a little underwhelming:
-BanG Dream - Sort of a K-On! does Love Live! situation. Certainly not as strong as K-On, but decidedly pleasant nonetheless. I like the writer a lot and the latest episode did a lot to make the cast more distinct to me, so I'm hopeful that this could sneak a little higher up the list.
-Kemono Friends - Ugly rear end animation, but deceptively charming and quirky SOL bits and weirdly compelling, subtle worldbuilding.

Dropped out of boredom:
-Urara Meirochou - It's kinda cute I guess but I wasn't really getting much out of it that GabDro or Bang Dream weren't doing better.

Things I'm watching and enjoying out of season:
-Katanagatari (would be in AOTS contender tier if released this season) - The writing is memorable and deceptively intelligent, the art style is distinct and appealing, the soundtrack is a real gem, and the overall production does a great job of balancing intense action, weird comedy, and genuine tragedy. Outside of a few overly-talky segments, Katanagatari has made very few missteps so far.
-Symphogear GX (would be in the Fun tier if released this season) - The pacing is all sorts of weird and has me pretty convinced that this won't be a favorite of mine like G was, but it's still recognizably Symphogear. The music's great, it's as well animated as any Symphogear stuff to date, the action is balls-to-the-wall, and even if I'm not totally sold on where they're taking the protagonists yet it still has a tremendously likable and charismatic set of leads.

Guy Goodbody posted:

If this is the thing we're doing

~Best of the season~
Ai Mai Mi Surgical Friends - Hilarious.
Interview With Monster Girls - Really sweet and cute and funny. Just super well done characters who develop and have great dialogue with each other.

~Very good of the season~
Ms. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - pretty much the same as the other Monster Girl anime this season. Great blend of characters and humor. It still has some not great bits of the source material clinging to it, but maybe those are just exaggerated by everyone talking about how gross the manga is.
Saga of Tanya the Evil - A great, unique main character, an incredibly well built world, great action, great faces.

~Good of the season~
Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club - Informative and realistic. Nobody is some bicycling genius, they just enjoy riding bikes and learning about bikes. The characters are a little stock, but they work

~OK of the season~
Yowamushi Pedal - I still like Yowapeda, but they're spending way too long on saying goodbye to third years. 8 episodes in and I think maybe they finally finished saying goodbye. If the next episode is still about how sad everyone is that they're leaving and how much the third years influenced their kohais, I'm gonna lose my poo poo. This season it also feels like they're kinda reaching to come up with new bicycling super powers.

Homura and Sickle posted:

I can't watch any anime for a few weeks so hopefully these don't fall apart but my list:

Best:
Tanya the Evil: phenomenal main character with great scene chewing delivery, solid world building, consistently hilarious. Wish i could marathon this

Good poo poo:
Konosuba 2: less surprises than first season but they're able to keep running jokes consistently funny
Scum's Wish: bad choices, emotional manipulation, at least one outright sociopath. One of the few times a "romance" has been watchable for me but the show can be emotionally draining in a good way. Impressive production values
Little witch academia: beautiful animation, great gags, sucy

Probably check out when season over:
Maid dragon: watched 2 episodes and i have no idea what people see in this but everyone loves it so I'll probably give It another chance
ACCA: has potential, if people say it sticks the landing I'll watch it
Gabriel dropout: might be funny idk
March Comes in like a lion: watched a few, feel like i should be liking more than i did. Might give it a second chance

No: kemono friends, hand shakers

Of the people posting mid-season updates, five people watching Maidragon, two people watching Maidragon and Tanya, one person watching Tanya and Scum's Wish

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm watching Maid Dragon, Konosuba, Gabriel Dropout, Tanya The Evil, Interviews with Monster Girls, and Little Witch Academia.

I'd say Konosuba is best of season easily.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I'm enjoying Maidragon, but I could barely sit through a single episode of both Tanya and Scum's Wish, to add another meaningless anecdote to the pile.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My turn!

Maid Dragon: What everyone else said. It's charming, funny, and genuinely sweet. Probably my favorite this season - at least of the shows I'm watching week by week!
Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish: Teenagers are bad at emotions, and this show makes for a delightful watch as they're just...bad at being mature about things. Plus the evil teacher. I'm enjoying it for the melodrama, and I do hope everyone comes out alive and able to heal.

There's other stuff I want to watch when it's all over - Rakugo, ACCA, Tanya the Evil, etc - but those are the only two I'm making time to watch as they air.

I also tried Gabriel Dropout and Interviews with Monster Girls, but both shows left me cold. :shobon:

Last mention: Yowamushi Pedals: I'm coming for you, season three. Busy with watching the first season now thanks to my friend egging me on, and it's really sweet! Not Haikyuu level, but the character development is charming and I'm having a good time with it!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i haven't had much free time lately, so all i'm watching right now is konosuba and blue exorcist. i'll probably binge watch a few more shows when i'm free.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I'm watching now hasn't changed from what I expected to watch at the outset, other than me liking Maid Dragon more than I expected.

March comes in like a lion and Rakugo S2 are immaculate.

Maid Dragon and Demi-chan are both funny and feel good, with Maid Dragon in particular being impressive for its usual KyoAni attention to detail.

Gundam IBO S2 is a solid war/political intrigue story. I dunno if die hard Gundam fans hate it or whatever but as someone who has bounced hard off of most Gundam shows over the years I think it's pretty good.

I'm pretty lukewarm on LWA and Konosuba but I'll see them through to the end.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Of the people posting mid-season updates, five people watching Maidragon, two people watching Maidragon and Tanya, one person watching Tanya and Scum's Wish
Thank you for doing my legwork for me. It's like I've been a grad student this whole time...

(Seriously though, thanks.)

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm enjoying Maidragon, but I could barely sit through a single episode of both Tanya and Scum's Wish, to add another meaningless anecdote to the pile.
Add up all the meaningless anecdotes and you create some data!

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 1, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Gundam IBO S2 is a solid war/political intrigue story. I dunno if die hard Gundam fans hate it or whatever but as someone who has bounced hard off of most Gundam shows over the years I think it's pretty good.

I am thrilled to hear it's still good - I enjoyed the first twelve eps of IBO and then wandered off, with plans to marathon all of it when it's done, so I've been avoiding its threads to avoid spoilers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I forgot to mention my Winter season leftovers. Iron-Blooded Orphans is great, Nyanbo is cute, Nobunaga no Shinobi is cute and funny.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
My Trip Report so Far:

Maid Dragon - Feels like another gimmick slice of life comedy. Its cute and can be funny at times, but isn't exactly introducing anything new, other than the heroine being a programmer instead of a clueless male.

Konosuba - Characters are expressive as ever, this season suffers from running-down some well worn jokes like Darkness being a masochist. Still the best show of the season.

Tanya - I was skeptical of another magical girl world war anime, but was pleasantly surprised by the dark and adult overtones and not actually being a magical girl story. It's similar to GATE in the sense that it's all about setting up a conflict and then the MC's side absolutely destroying the opposition.

Fuka - eh, everyone kept mentioning this was going to hit me right in the feels, but it's been so passive that I really can't enjoy any of the characters.

Masamune - Good popcorn highschool Rom-Com that doesn't really tread new ground but is entertaining week after week.

Interviews with Monster Girls - interesting take in that it's about a dad-like figure trying to figure out the personalities of three different girls with a supernatural element attached. Not the most entertaining, but still unique. Definitely not like that other Monster-Girls show.

All in all a good season for me, last season was a massive dearth of original animes with interesting stories. Could also be because I dislike sports animes as much as I disliked Nickelodeon sports movies growing up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Thor-Stryker posted:

All in all a good season for me, last season was a massive dearth of original animes with interesting stories. Could also be because I dislike sports animes as much as I disliked Nickelodeon sports movies growing up.

Flip Flappers? Yuri on Ice? March comes in like a Lion? Fune wo Amu?

There were quite a few unique things last season...

And Yuri on Ice barely even counts as sports show, since it feels so secondary to the characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

March Lion and Fune wo Amu are adaptations

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

March Lion and Fune wo Amu are adaptations

I figured he meant "original" as in an interesting/original premise :downs: My bad.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I normally wait for the season to be over and watch whatever people recommend or has good reviews.

I am only watching Handshakers so far. I like it a lot and wished more people gave this gem a chance.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

I normally wait for the season to be over and watch whatever people recommend or has good reviews.

I am only watching Handshakers so far. I like it a lot and wished more people gave this gem a chance.

....What do you like about it?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Best: ACCA

Very entertaining: Konosuba S2, Maiddragon, Tanya the Evil

Endearingly absurd: Kemono Friends, Sengokuchojyugiga, Ai-Mai-Mi

Should probably drop these to watch backlog shows but might as well finish now: Gabriel Dropout, Interviews with Monster Girls

Going to binge later: IBO S2, March Lion, Rakugo

I'm watching way more than I expected.

Kemono Friends grew on me. It feels like a short anime stretched into a full length show in a way that manages to be relaxing instead of boring. I only started it because of the Twitter hype though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

....What do you like about it?

I mean I was joking about it being actually good but to me its so bad its funny. Its no magnum opus for bad anime like Garzey's wing but still funny.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

konosuba is the only show i'm watching this season but it's very good

darkness was probably the weakest part of season 1 but she feels like one of the stronger parts of season 2

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
In no particular order:

Little Witch Academia: This is the one I was looking forward to the most, and so far I was right to do so.

Maidragon: I went into this with high expectations because I was a fan of the manga, and it ended up exceeding them. It still has the spirit of the gag manga it was based off of while nicely adding the 'happy family' element.

Tanya: A nice deviation from all of the sweet shows I've been watching this season. Tanya's a little bastard and it's a real blast watching her act like one.

Demi-chan: Like Maidragon, this show is engaging and heartwarming with characters that I enjoy.

Nobunaga no Shinobi: Still good.

I've fallen behind on Gabriel Dropout & dropped Urara. Both of them are alright, but they're competing for time with shows I'm really enjoying. Based on what people here are saying, I might pick up ACCA. There's a little voice in my head telling me to watch Kemono Friends, and it's getting louder.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
makes my week: gabedrop, maidragon, kemono friends

strong showings: lwa, youjo senki, konosuba, 3gatsu, zestiria x

cute and good: demi-chan, urara meirochou, kirakira☆precure, ai mai mi

went to jail: one room

already read: scum's wish, rewrite, thankfully not fuuka

forgotten: akibas trip, seiren (had to edit this in)

should be watching: rakugo, acca

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Adore: ACCA

Love: Maid Dragon, Konosuba

Like: Gabdrop, IBO, Demi-chan, Tanya

Enjoy: Urara, Kemono

Enjoy, but pretty behind on: LWA, BanG Dream, Kirakira

Probably dropped: Seiren

Should watch: Sangatsu, Rakugo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

I mean I was joking about it being actually good but to me its so bad its funny. Its no magnum opus for bad anime like Garzey's wing but still funny.

Oh! I understand that! If you want another "so bad it's hilarious", check out Divine Gate - it has a main character who prefers to eat cold food because his heart is cold, amongst other nonsensical things.

...Alternatively, watch actually good shows! They're worth it!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

In order because order is important.

Dragon Maid - SLICE OF LIFE do nothing show ft MODERN FANTASY and SALARYMAN ENNUI. Quite charming. This was always going to be my favorite show.

Interviews with Demi-chan - Very cute show that manages to reframe a few pretty terrible anime conventions into something endearing. My favorite of the season.

Tanya - Bizarre and fun uncomfortable concept with incredible main character. Favorite show of the season.

ACCA - Very original show to the point of being almost indescribable. Favorite show airing right now.

Kemono Friends - Insanely comfortable show. Started watching for no good reason and was just mesmerized. Favorite current thing right now.

Scum's Wish - Very difficult show to start but has been really fun after getting over the hump. Or lack of? Terrific main character that carries a lot of weight. Of the shows airing this one is my favorite.

Little Witch Academia - Nice and cute and cute and nice. Nicely my favorite.

Gab Drop - Stupid hikki angel moe fun poo poo, favorite.

Konasuba 2 - Eh. It's good. Sometimes the faces get under my skin, most of the time I like them a lot.

Seiren - Hasn't been anywhere as good as Amagami SS but still pretty okay. Wouldn't it be neat if this concept was done without using the same boring MC over and over? Like, what if they just told good stories?

Yowamushi Pedal - Coasting on how good last season was currently but I'm sure it'll get gooder.

Masamune - Trash show but has fun with a neat concept. If this season were weaker I'd probably watch this more.

BanG! - Only seen first two eps but has good vibe and I wanna watch more.

I don't know where I'd put March Comes In Like A Lion. The current arc it's in is actually pretty uninteresting. I mean, it is interesting. It is definitely interesting. But compared to last cour, it is much more tame. I've cooled on it quite a bit. Might be related to the much worse OP.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Biggest events of each week:
Kemono Friends - just very enjoyable
Maidragon - same
Gabriel Dropout - very good comedy although it could use more Tab
March Lion - very much like the depression drama

Also good:
Demi-chan
Akiba's Trip
Konosuba
Piacevole
KiraKira Precure

Whatever, still watching:
Masamune
Fuuka

Dropped:
Urara
eLDLIVE
Schoolgirl Strikers

Dropped like burning red iron:
One Room

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Spiritus Nox posted:

Things I'm watching and enjoying out of season:
-Katanagatari (would be in AOTS contender tier if released this season) - The writing is memorable and deceptively intelligent, the art style is distinct and appealing, the soundtrack is a real gem, and the overall production does a great job of balancing intense action, weird comedy, and genuine tragedy. Outside of a few overly-talky segments, Katanagatari has made very few missteps so far.

katanagatari is good, you're in for a treat

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

kater posted:

I don't know where I'd put March Comes In Like A Lion. The current arc it's in is actually pretty uninteresting. I mean, it is interesting. It is definitely interesting. But compared to last cour, it is much more tame. I've cooled on it quite a bit. Might be related to the much worse OP.
Lion jumps around a lot, where Rei or the Kawamoto sisters take a backseat to characters on the periphery from time to time. They're generally all pretty good stories though and you can certainly bet on it returning to Rei and company soon enough. I'm not totally sure where the ending arc will be although they almost certainly will not get to the next major major Rei/Kawamoto stories unless it were a cour or two longer.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

• ACCA - Slow, relaxing, and deeply engrossing.
  • March comes in like a lion - Remains great! Totally picking up the manga after this finishes its run and hoping Shaft gets to do another season.
  • Demi-chan - This could have been so, so terrible, but it turned out really thoughtful and fun! Leads to some interesting shower thoughts on the logistics of modern life when you have to carry your head everywhere.
  • Gabriel Dropout - Glad I stuck with this one. The first episode didn't do much for me, but it's been a lot of silly fun. Features a dog with excellent comedic timing.
  • Konosuba S2 - I love watching these idiots be idiots.
  • Maid Dragon - It's basically :glomp: in anime form.
  • Youjo Senki/Tanya - It's kind of great how everyone that could be considered "normal" in this series reacts just about exactly how you'd expect them to when what to all outward appearances is a very young girl gets the ol' crazy-eyes and starts going all super-soldier. You might say it's the kind of thing that could put the fear of God into you. :v:
  • Little Witch Academia - There are times that I wish the writing was as fun as the animation, but that's a pretty high bar to clear.
  • Kemono Friends - I'm still not entirely sure why this blew up the way it did, but I can't deny that it's got charm.

I'm also continuing to watch Classicaloid here and there, which remains stupid and fun, and Nanbaka, which is mostly just stupid. I'll also probably also start up Rakugo S2 soon since I've been watching the (excellent) first season of that here and there and am almost finished.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong all, but I haven't seen demographics of Tanya, scum's wish, and Maid Dragon overlapping very much.

It's me, I'm the center of this awkward anime Venn diagram, AMA.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Oh are we doing this? Unlike last season I am not watching a lot. Much less caught my eye and even fewer got my interest to keep watching. Which is fine because free time is not exactly something I have a lot of.

Best
ACCA

Really good
March Comes in Like a Lion
Little Witch Academia

Good
Gabriel Dropout

Also slowly watching the second seasons of Cute High and Conrevo, both of which I'm really enjoying.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is ACCA actually good? It's got the most generic pitch in its description and nothing about it seems to stand out at all.

quote:

The kingdom of Dowa, which is subdivided into 13 states, is celebrating its monarch's 99th birthday. These 13 states have many agencies that are controlled by the giant organization known as ACCA. Within ACCA, Jean Otus is the second-in-command of the inspection agency. His agency has ten people placed in each of the 13 states, with a central office in the capital city. They keep track of all the activities of ACCA across the kingdom, and keep data on each state's ACCA office flowing toward the central office. Jean also often has business trips from the capital to the other districts to check on the situation and personnel there.

Like I don't think anyone could write a less enticing description.

Why would you say it's worth checking out?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's not, get trolled

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is ACCA actually good? It's got the most generic pitch in its description and nothing about it seems to stand out at all.

brainwrinkle posted:

Hey everyone - ACCA is the best show this season. Please check it out if you like bureaucracy, cakes, food, regionalism, low-key political drama, excellent foreshadowing, old men, young men, older women, princes voiced by Mamoru Miyano, landlords, people discovering toast, New Years parties, cigarette smokers, high taxes on cigarettes, or people who go to work only to eat snacks. Thank you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's really hard to explain. It's subtle, colourful, and the background plot that gets introduced is engaging and skillfully keeps you interested to look forward to the next episode, and the food looks yummy.

There's just something smart and well grounded about the series and everything happens at a very measured pace, you barely the passage of time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I ignored ACCA for ages because ADTRW circle-jerking about cakes is generally a sign that I won't care, but no, ACCA is really good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
which kind of cakes are we jerking to here?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Christmas cakes here

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

:whitewater:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

:wink:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

It's me, I'm the center of this awkward anime Venn diagram, AMA.

:same:

things I put down and didn't pick back up:
Demi-chan
Seiren

things I'm watching exclusively because I want to see spoilers happen:
Fuuka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Nitrousoxide posted:

That description is more of a background exposition than actual description of what the show is.

It's very deliberately paced. I'd say that's the biggest strength. The characters are also just likable.

Honestly just watch the first episode. Either it'll click or it won't.

• Locked thread