Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEtHI_L9CE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/withfilesfrom/status/836702893273145346

this entire thing is amazingly bullshit

https://twitter.com/withfilesfrom/status/836705312698740736

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Another quality Harper appointee

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 1, 2017

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

:psyduck:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LOL U MAD? has been the Right's rallying cry for years now. It deftly sidesteps the need to actually address any criticism of their positions, and they can wholeheartedly embrace literally anything, if it appears to upset their political enemies.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Personally I began to question my sexuality the instant they said I didn't need to write in cursive anymore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jesus gently caress this. gently caress all of this. Sober second thought my rear end, they can all burn in hell.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

how about just don't elect Conservatives

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but it's starting to become bizarre for me. I'm having an impossible time finding DFO (or any other department) spending predating 1996. This link is the best I can do: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/planned-government-spending/reports-plans-priorities.html
And it just go backs to 1996. that's it. and most of the links don't even work ffs. Is it seriously this hard to find something as simple departmental spending by year.

There's got to be a government geek here that can help me. pretty please.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

Personally I began to question my sexuality the instant they said I didn't need to write in cursive anymore.

The government was so busy teaching me how to gently caress arses, transition gender, and apply contraceptives to vegetables that they never bothered teaching me long division!

The hell is wrong with these people? Also, why do they think that you can only understand the difference between "boy" and "girl" during or after puberty? Their minds are obviously way too focused on sex!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Conservatives hate sex ed because it's easier to groom and abuse kids who are not well educated about sex. It's also why they instinctively leap to the defence of abusers and their apologists like John Furlong, Tom Flanagan, et al

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Minge Binge posted:

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but it's starting to become bizarre for me. I'm having an impossible time finding DFO (or any other department) spending predating 1996. This link is the best I can do: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/planned-government-spending/reports-plans-priorities.html
And it just go backs to 1996. that's it. and most of the links don't even work ffs. Is it seriously this hard to find something as simple departmental spending by year.

There's got to be a government geek here that can help me. pretty please.
*shoves you in a locker*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Conservatives hate sex ed because it's easier to groom and abuse kids who are not well educated about sex. It's also why they instinctively leap to the defence of abusers and their apologists like John Furlong, Tom Flanagan, et al

Well, I don't think that Conservatives in general even hate sex ed (most of the ones I know support it -- it's the Wildrose/SoCon types that hate it), but this is an interesting point that I'd never considered about opposition to sex ed. It was never an issue for me because my parents had The Talk with me pretty early, including what people were and were not allowed to do, but I can certainly see how a child who has never had proper sex ed would be at a much higher risk of being sexually abused or manipulated, either at a young age or, indeed, throughout their lives.

That's a rather disgusting implication to think about and another reason to hate social conservatives.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The root of a large amount of social conservatism is the primacy of the patriarchal family structure, with the idea that the father is the head of the household and has absolute authority over everything that happens within it. He has the right to beat his wife, he has the right to deny her a divorce, he has the right to prevent her from getting an abortion, he has the right to discipline his children how he sees fit, he has the right to teach them whatever he wants. Unsurprisingly, this tends to accompany a deep conservatism that is against many forms of progress, from women's emancipation to gay rights, because those things weaken the patriarchal authority of the father. A hell of a lot of the progress our society has made socially was achieved by passing laws that removed these paternal rights and either allocated them to the individual (for example, allowing women to get abortions without their husband or father's permission, or allowing women to vote) or to the state (for example, punishing men for domestic abuse or shifting education from a familial responsibility to a state responsibility).

Sex ed is just one of the latest stages in this ongoing, seemingly endless struggle. It's still one of the things where a lot of our society buys into the idea that such a sensitive subject is best left to the family, who can choose to educate or not educate their children as they see fit. Naturally, this often means kids get no education because either their social conservative parents don't think their children should ever have sex, or because their parents are too squeamish to properly educate their children (which is fine, I wouldn't want my parents to explain sex stuff to me), and we as a society are in the process of deciding that we don't think that's appropriate for the 21st century and are instead institutionalizing actual informative sex education practices by shifting this responsibility from the family to the state. But because this is yet another loss of authority for the patriarchal traditional family structure, it means yet another battle with social conservatives.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What does sex Ed say about park loving

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

What does sex Ed say about park loving

It's okay as long as you don't assume the gender of the other homeless guy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Well, I don't think that Conservatives in general even hate sex ed (most of the ones I know support it -- it's the Wildrose/SoCon types that hate it), but this is an interesting point that I'd never considered about opposition to sex ed. It was never an issue for me because my parents had The Talk with me pretty early, including what people were and were not allowed to do, but I can certainly see how a child who has never had proper sex ed would be at a much higher risk of being sexually abused or manipulated, either at a young age or, indeed, throughout their lives.

That's a rather disgusting implication to think about and another reason to hate social conservatives.

Sex Ed is also just a wedge issue to drive votes and the ability to manipulate education standards. It's the same thing with prayer / god in schools.

Once you can control what is taught and what isn't, you can leave groups ignorant and/or starve them of the ability to reason, making them easier to manipulate and more rigid in their thinking, which benefits those in power.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jenstden/status/836787844018487296

A bunch of incel libcucks from UBC showed up to support the trump ogres

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
If you are going to the trouble of making your own hat why wouldn't you go with "Make Canada Great Again"?

You are still signalling to everyone that you are a garbage person to be avoided but it's a little more topical and relevant.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's oddly comforting to know that the new face of modern fascism is both completely nonthreatening personality-wise and also heavily lacking in original thought. :3:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe we should let those guys tie their name to their own political party, even if mydemocracy.ca classifies it as "extremist"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/suspended-victoria-police-chief-says-he-wants-to-resign-1.4003898

quote:

Suspended Victoria Police Chief says he wants to resign
Frank Elsner outlined how misconduct investigation has caused him stress and anxiety

Suspended Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner wants to resign and move on with his life.

In an affidavit filed in B.C. Supreme Court, he outlined how the investigation into allegations of misconduct have affected his life.

"I have experienced a great deal of stress and anxiety as a result of the various investigations which has worsened as they have dragged out."

Elsner says his health has been adversely affected.

"I have been under the care of a doctor, who I meet with once every few weeks," said Elsner. "I have had to start taking an anti-depressant and my doctor is highly concerned about my blood pressure."

In addition, Elsner said a number of community organizations he worked with have asked that he not serve in connection with the charities until the investigation is resolved.

In 2015, the Police Complaint Commissioner ordered an external investigation after allegations surfaced that Elsner had exchanged inappropriate messages on Twitter with a member of another police department.

Elsner was instructed not to have contact with any members of the Victoria or Saanich police departments. In the affidavit, he said that at that time his social network was based on those work-related friendships.

"The order that I have no contact with anyone from the Vic PD caused me and my wife to become very isolated from our social network at a very difficult time in our lives," said Elsner. "Over time, I stopped participating in my usual activities and rarely left the house."

Even though he would like to resign, Elsner says he can't until this investigation is resolved.

But, Deputy Police Complaint Commissioner Rollie Woods says Elsner shouldn't be surprised by the length of time of the investigation and he is free to negotiate with the police board and resign now.

"If he actually does resign, I'm sure that the commissioner will consider whether it's in the public interest to continue with this matter because there are significant costs associated with any investigation like this," said Woods.

The judges reviewing the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner's final report have until March 10 to decide if a disciplinary proceeding for Elsner should go ahead.

guys, poor babby police chief of victoria is stressed out and so anxious!!! PTSD is making his life very hard!! make these witchunts stop!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao apparently Vancouver Police ordered a Rebel reporter out of the Trump protest for trying to get both sides to fight each other

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

DariusLikewise posted:

lmao apparently Vancouver Police ordered a Rebel reporter out of the Trump protest for trying to get both sides to fight each other

Journalism in 2017.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

DariusLikewise posted:

Hell yes

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

DariusLikewise posted:

Be careful talking bad about The Rebel here because we should support their free speech.

:goonsay:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/bethanylindsay/status/836687014883778560

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Isn't that literally inciting a riot?

edit: also, if all that dweeb wanted to do was start a fight, he should have just given the crowd that smug whitey oops-you-got-me smirk.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 1, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAzzhsR8YLg

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Are we really going to look that gift horse that is the rebel being oppressed by the state, in the mouth

gently caress your free speech bullshit if your answer is yes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

namaste faggots posted:

Are we really going to look that gift horse that is the rebel being oppressed by the state, in the mouth

gently caress your free speech bullshit if your answer is yes

Free speech is dumb and overrated, my answer is yes bby

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Also related:

https://twitter.com/AmyJBrittain/status/836675890037862400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Shiiiiit. I claimed 69 in my IRATA logbook. :negative:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Free speech is dumb and overrated, my answer is yes bby
It's an awesome important thing that should be instantly denied to anyone who whips it out as a flaccid excuse for their viewpoints

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Dark One posted:

Click through if you enjoy reading gross accounts of domestic violence, I guess.

Surely some lovely cop who beats up his wife wouldn't beat up a complete stranger! :shepface:

Older teachers get really upset that teaching cursive isn't part of the curriculum and quite a few of them use valuable class-time to teach it anyway. I use it myself but tell students that focusing on typing is much more valuable, since that's how most of them will be communicating for the rest of their lives.

Getting upset that signatures won't look right is a new one for me, but getting upset that time that could be spent teaching cursive is being spent on proper sex ed is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Older teachers get really upset that teaching cursive isn't part of the curriculum and quite a few of them use valuable class-time to teach it anyway. I use it myself but tell students that focusing on typing is much more valuable, since that's how most of them will be communicating for the rest of their lives.

Getting upset that signatures won't look right is a new one for me, but getting upset that time that could be spent teaching cursive is being spent on proper sex ed is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Old teachers and old conservatives are locked onto this weird fixation with trying to make everything 1920 again and anything that goes against that is seen as a waste of time and money.

e: vvv I write in all capital letters and my signature is a box taking a poo poo and I had to learn cursive as well. :v::hf::v:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I learned cursive and my signature is basically just a loop and a scribble.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Old teachers and old conservatives are locked onto this weird fixation with trying to make everything 1920 again and anything that goes against that is seen as a waste of time and money.

I guess I should have said some older teachers.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but one of my Peer Role Models is an older teacher who, after some church made a coordinated effort to have members elected to some board that controlled Sex Ed curriculum in the school board and tanked it, defied the curriculum and taught everything she felt her students needed to know. She bought her own materials and when she was questioned on it, told them she was a teacher and was doing her job.

Eventually the curriculum was changed again and we have pretty good Sex Ed now, however I have caught one of the Youth Health workers at a school focusing on teaching abstinence as well as the Extreme Dangers of Marijuana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

RebelRousers