Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I too remember the 90s.

I think it's really funny how the trailer opens with 'cool kids didn't play roleplaying games' and quickly turns to aggrandizing a club culture focused on thousand dollar outfits.

It's like the most succinct criticism of the whole LARP situation I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd say that's the most self-indulgent looking piece of poo poo that I've ever seen, but somehow I suspect that literally anything that Swedracula creates in the next few years will surpass it on that front.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I too remember the 90s.

I think it's really funny how the trailer opens with 'cool kids didn't play roleplaying games' and quickly turns to aggrandizing a club culture focused on thousand dollar outfits.

So, not the cool kids. Just the rich not cool kids.

That looks like it's not going to be a documentary, but more of a puff piece with a side order of "buy into this 90s thing again". Sure, I'd love to go back to a time when nerds were just a throw away subculture. Wait, no, that doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
It's kind of surprising that the thing that they're wanting to use as a stepping on point shows people that are really super into it. Like- the full on facepaint and make-up brigade - while it's cool that people have that, the LARP is a little difficult to break people in on, you know?

Also, it's funny that they reference Underworld in it considering the whole... lawsuit thing that happened.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Not enough canes or bathrobes to be talking about WoD LARP.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I would totally show up to a Mage LARP in a bathrobe and shower cap.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

crime fighting hog posted:

I would totally show up to a Mage LARP in a bathrobe and shower cap.

One character in the larp I used to play in did that. Mostly to piss off the Silver Ladder.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm just reminded of the head of the Church of the Subgenius commenting that they were just a bunch of nerds calling themselves a sex cult but we they never thought it would actually happen if they repeated it enough. It's funny that they talk about the "cool" kids when that strikes me a mild sort of denial about who actually built the World of Darkness (or, the fact, as adults, there's any loving dividing line at all).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If I ever LARP again it'll be in the loudest Hawaiian shirt I can find, shorts, and sandals with black socks.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Soonmot posted:

If I ever LARP again it'll be in the loudest Hawaiian shirt I can find, shorts, and sandals with black socks.

Add aviators; pretend to be Hunter S Thompson.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Soonmot posted:

You're in luck because I'm pretty sure that's the Sabbat uniform.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'd just take whatever flaw allows a vampire to belch.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Mendrian posted:

You're in luck because I'm pretty sure that's the Sabbat uniform.

It worked for me in one game, therefore it should work in all games.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

cptn_dr posted:

One character in the larp I used to play in did that. Mostly to piss off the Silver Ladder.
I feel like dressing like you just rolled out of bed should be the ideal Silver Ladder outfit. Dress for the job you want, and that job is "being free to be as shabby as you want as you trascend this Fallen World."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My one-time I tried a Requiem larp, I wore a ratty bathrobe on top of my normal outfit. I was playing a vampiric version of the dude mixed with a conspiracy theorist (Mekhet Carthian).

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I know you kind of have to include him in this documentary, but boy is Rein*Hagen not selling anything as sexy and cool.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Add aviators; pretend to be Hunter S Thompson.
Add a mohawk; pretend to be Old Man Henderson.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Yawgmoth posted:

OK your idea is, admittedly, superior.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

unseenlibrarian posted:

I...well.

This is certainly a way to talk about your game you want to sell to people who might play RPGs.

...Not a good one, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMf8SgSH5A

Like everything else connected to NuWoD, I don't think they're making this with actually selling it to new people in mind. This is looking like a pure fluff piece aimed at pre-existing fans. Or to put it another way, this is just yet another example that Swedracula is using NuWoD to mostly just masturbate.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Never don't LARP as Carl Brutananadilewski.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like everything else connected to NuWoD, I don't think they're making this with actually selling it to new people in mind. This is looking like a pure fluff piece aimed at pre-existing fans. Or to put it another way, this is just yet another example that Swedracula is using NuWoD to mostly just masturbate.

I'll say it again, Swedracula is the world's biggest money mark.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/its-a-secret.968/

No chance this is Bloodlines 2 or whatever, right?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'll say it again, Swedracula is the world's biggest money mark.

This is not true, we live in a world where Wrestlelicious happened. He's Top 10 easily, though.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Right, teaser forums are almost always for new releases from Paradox development studio.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Communist Zombie posted:

Right, teaser forums are almost always for new releases from Paradox development studio.

It's speculated to not be PDS, but might be the Cities Skylines folks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

I literally have a mohawk right now.
Play a mage with a constant mind affect that makes people think he's dressed appropriately, but is actually wearing comfy sweatshorts, flip flops and a bathrobe with no shirt.

That Doc: I would legitimately love an in depth documentary on how the World of Darkness changed tabletop (and LARP) and how it evolved into Chronicles. I feel that what we're going to get, as with everything the new White Wolf has put out, is going to be edgy bullshit.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Soonmot posted:

That Doc: I would legitimately love an in depth documentary on how the World of Darkness changed tabletop (and LARP) and how it evolved into Chronicles. I feel that what we're going to get, as with everything the new White Wolf has put out, is going to be edgy bullshit.

To be fair, being edgy bullshit would make it a pretty accurate World of Darkness documentary.

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."

Further Reading posted:

A while back I talked about making a digital Mage: The Awakening 2E character sheet/diceroller for Discord. Well, I've done it.

I'm calling it Dicecord because I have a terrible sense of humour. It's got most of the fields from the standard mage 2 page character sheet + a notes tab and you can import/export characters. It also has a few extra twists like rote/praxis pool calculations and mana breakdown per equipped magic item. In the short term I want to add a way to switch to dark era skills (since my mage game is played in dark eras) but after that I am open to adding more splats. V:tR or C:tL are my initial targets as they are pretty similar to the mage one and also not Beast.

For rolling, you need to first enter a Discord webhook URL and, ideally, your Discord numeric userID. Then you hit the blue diamond that's obviously a D10 to open the roller menu and push the buttons. If it works properly your channel will be spammed like this when you make a roll:

I have it set up to report each result one at a time with a 1 second pause between each result. I wanted to capture that escalating feeling of excitement when you gather your exploded dice and reroll them. This can get quite spammy though so you may wanna save it for special occasions. If you want something quicker and less fun, you can use "Quiet Mode" which will summarise the roll in one line like this:

Pretty soon the bot will openly berate you for rolling badly, like the world's most disappointed father, but if you roll well it will tell you "good job, son" with all the sincerity that a discord text bot can muster.

It's completely free and Open Source. You can download a windows installer from my website and the source code + ReadMe is also available on github. I don't know how to do a mac installer, but if there's demand I'll figure it out! I the mean time, if you grab the source code + asset folders from the github, install python 3.5 and the PyQt5 package you should be able to run it on any platform. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to throw suggestions/bug reports in here, by PM or on github.

You and me have a problem, now. I am quite irate at you. I am irate at you because I have no excuse whatsoever not to run a game on Discord now.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Their biggest, most public product right now is a visual novel about huffing dead assholes and sucking uber driver dicks. Clearly they are interested in expanding their customer base with this documentary.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

To be fair, being edgy bullshit would make it a pretty accurate World of Darkness documentary.

I mean, yeah, but taking a critical look at the bullshit and calling it out for being bullshit, not celebrating it.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Soonmot posted:

I mean, yeah, but taking a critical look at the bullshit and calling it out for being bullshit, not celebrating it.

Self-awareness doesn't seem to be a strong point of Swedracula.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Soonmot posted:

But then how will people know they're cool? Better just throw a bunch of half-assed quick cuts of vampires into the talking head segments so everyone knows this ain't your daddy's RPG.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It could be, but not from Obsidian. They won't be talking about their secret project for at least a year.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Also kinda disappointed in this thread that no one's come up with the obvious name for an attempt at doing a Vampire-but-better RPG.

I mean, if a D&D knockoff with one or two good ideas is a Fantasy Heartbreaker, the Vampire equivalent's obviously a heartstaker.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
What about Vampire: Suck and gently caress ?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Also kinda disappointed in this thread that no one's come up with the obvious name for an attempt at doing a Vampire-but-better RPG.

I mean, if a D&D knockoff with one or two good ideas is a Fantasy Heartbreaker, the Vampire equivalent's obviously a heartstaker.
Fangtasy Heartbreaker is also just sitting right there

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's kind of surprising how well World of Darkness cornered their particular mark that there weren't more knockoffs. I mean, there was Everlasting, Deleria, Witchcraft... I can't think of many others off the top of my head.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can't think of many others off the top of my head.

You don't remember Trollman's magnum opus AFTER SUNDOWN?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Never heard of it (until now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Ettin did a once over of it a few years ago, not even in fatal and friends, just in the chat thread. It was painfully bland and every section started with a quote that was either insipid or just straight dumb.