Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sinestro posted:

I decided to wait until today, since it would have needed massive retooling when the embargo dropped anyway. Should be tonight, I just need to put things together when I get home from work, I know what I want to say.

SourKraut posted:

What time is the embargo expected to drop?

My bad about the embargo, people are saying it's actually on release day (Thursday March 2). I was hearing February 28 but that must have been confusion caused by the "Capsaicin and Cream" GPU event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Ah, that's nice! So yeah, it'll be March 2nd, which is what I thought before.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rastor posted:

My bad about the embargo, people are saying it's actually on release day (Thursday March 2). I was hearing February 28 but that must have been confusion caused by the "Capsaicin and Cream" GPU event.

Sinestro posted:

Ah, that's nice! So yeah, it'll be March 2nd, which is what I thought before.

Thanks! Though now I am suspicious, since it seems like if they were ready to really be excited about Ryzen, they'd let the NDA lift before the actual release date.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the errata seems to be significant enough apparently

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Here’s an article where someone actually successfully tracks down a single bit error in some code.

Yes, chances are good that the effected data is will never be written to disk and that if it is, it’s something that isn’t critical like a video file.

But if bit flips in executable code, you’re in for a headache.

That strikes me as a computer autist that doesn't know bad RAM when he sees it. But your point remains.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
5.2 GHz on LN2.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Overclockers-Push-Ryzen-7-1800X-52-GHz-LN2-Break-Cinebench-Record

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

In addition to the exotic LN2 cooling, the Ryzen 7 1800X needed 1.875 volts to hit 5.20 GHz. That 5.20 GHz was achieved by setting the base clock at 137.78 MHz and the multiplier at 37.75. Using these settings, the chip was even stable enough to benchmark with a score of 2,363 on Cinebench R15’s multi-threaded test.

But how does it perform attached to a passive radiator in spaaaaaaace?

WTFTECH: SpaceX announces 2018 OC tourism in free return orbit around dark side of moon, clocks promised to be "out of this world"

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 1, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Radiation is by far the slowest method of heat transfer; space would be awful.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Potato Salad posted:

But how does it perform attached to a passive radiator in spaaaaaaace?

WTFTECH: SpaceX announces 2018 OC tourism in free return orbit around dark side of moon, clocks promised to be "out of this world"

poo poo: in space, you can't conduct heat away since there's no atmosphere with which to do so. Radiation is terribly inefficient by comparison.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Radiation is by far the slowest method of heat transfer; space would be awful.

Nam Taf posted:

poo poo: in space, you can't conduct heat away since there's no atmosphere with which to do so. Radiation is terribly inefficient by comparison.

While I'm not saying it'd work, how would it be different from the flat plate radiators present on spacecraft?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well it says they reject heat at a rate of 100-350 W/m^2, and you can't fold it up like a normal heatsink, so it sounds bad...

Edit: to be clear those would work, just poorly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Would be pretty funny to have your space computer with two huge meter square wings of radiator material jutting out the back into space.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think they have to watercool the 486 processors that run the International Space Station's core functions because space is such a poo poo place to cool things.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FuturePastNow posted:

I think they have to watercool the 486 processors that run the International Space Station's core functions because space is such a poo poo place to cool things.

Loss of cooling is one of the most urgent emergencies ISS can encounter.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

FuturePastNow posted:

I know they use liquid ammonia to cool the solar panels, but looking around apparently each segment uses different coolants
http://www.space.com/21059-space-station-cooling-system-explained-infographic.html

The laptops they use obviously are air cooled and that air is conditioned by the station, not sure about the core computer systems though.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

FuturePastNow posted:

Wait, ye olde 486 processors? Suddenly Alien/s take on computer technology doesn't seem outlandish. It's all retro because it's cheap, sturdy and runs cold.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

Wait, ye olde 486 processors? Suddenly Alien/s take on computer technology doesn't seem outlandish. It's all retro because it's cheap, sturdy and runs cold.

It's more like the stuff has to be certified rad-hardened

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ISS uses 386. Hubble is on 486. Certification for flight takes a long rear end time.

Also, reminder that the aerospace industry loves ADA.

http://www.ada-auth.org/cpl/lists/CPLbase.html

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Why not an ARM solution? Or is legacy code holding them back? God NASA needs an actual loving budget.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Why not an ARM solution? Or is legacy code holding them back? God NASA needs an actual loving budget.

FuturePastNow posted:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just use some old galaxy note 7's

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Keep in mind we're not talking about computers used for scientific observation, but the guidance computers used for controlling the spacecraft. It's not exactly a computationally demanding application. Additionally, the guidance computers for ISS would have been designed in the 90s, and Hubble Space Telescupe was built in the 80s and intended for launch in 1986 before Challenger was destroyed.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 1, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Well I assume time is a constraint, but I'm wondering if lack of funds aren't also slowing the process down.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FaustianQ posted:

What they have works fine for the application it's being used in and is known to be stable which is much, much, much more important than how fast it is.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The 386 and 486 saw a lot of embedded use in the 90s so that's not even very atypical considering the time period.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MaxxBot posted:

The 386 and 486 saw a lot of embedded use in the 90s so that's not even very atypical considering the time period.

And 2000s. 386 production ended in 2007

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There's no atmosphere to shield components from radiation, so they must have radiation resistant electronics. It would suck to have computational errors in guidance computers etc. when you are in space.

eames
May 9, 2009

1440p resolution but we have no idea what GPUs and graphic settingswere used for each of the slides. for all we know these could be pretty GPU bottlenecked.

source

edit: bonus XFR slide

eames fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 1, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I know these are AMD's marketing benchmarks but I'm still trying to figure them out. The 1700 getting closer to the 7700K than the 1700X gets to the 6800K has me scratching my head and I can only conclude that it's a L3+Real Core advantage.

Oh, wait, the 1700/7700K is using a 1070 while the 1700X/6800K is using a 1080? I guess that means the lower SKU comparison is much more GPU bound as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

It's this. This isn't even a time constraint on certifying things. A random gamma ray (and there are a lot in space) hitting the big 386 chip doesn't really have much chances of displacing something important. A high energy neutron hitting something in your modern <30nm arch is going to wreck it hard. 386 and 486 are perfect for that use, just due to the sheer size of each element.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FaustianQ posted:

I know these are AMD's marketing benchmarks but I'm still trying to figure them out. The 1700 getting closer to the 7700K than the 1700X gets to the 6800K has me scratching my head and I can only conclude that it's a L3+Real Core advantage.

Oh, wait, the 1700/7700K is using a 1070 while the 1700X/6800K is using a 1080? I guess that means the lower SKU comparison is much more GPU bound as well.

It's bad by design, or cherry-picked if you will.

Much like AMD, which is also bad by design.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Truga posted:

It's this. This isn't even a time constraint on certifying things. A random gamma ray (and there are a lot in space) hitting the big 386 chip doesn't really have much chances of displacing something important. A high energy neutron hitting something in your modern <30nm arch is going to wreck it hard. 386 and 486 are perfect for that use, just due to the sheer size of each element.

That works for now, but for the future, will we keep the 486 foundries running, stockpile all the rad‐hard chips we could every possibly need, or rad‐harden newer tech?

Like, instead of having one processor where a gamma ray won’t do much, have a handful running in lock‐step with a bunch more as hot spares. When one of them disagrees with the consensus, restore it to a known good state. If it continues to err, remove it from the pool and bring a hot spare online.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's already vastly more powerful cpus available for space use, but apart from some exceptions like curiosity, most deep space missions will still opt for the vastly cheaper ("only" $200k or so per) 3-486 era chips. Probably not least because due to the need for very simple code (you can't really debug critical bugs when your thing is several AU away) and very low bandwidths available at those distances, I imagine there's no need for faster CPUs on those.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

SourKraut posted:

While I'm not saying it'd work, how would it be different from the flat plate radiators present on spacecraft?
Sure, it'd work fundamentally the same, but radiation itself is generally far less efficient than conduction into a fluid (ie: air or water). It's just that in space, you have no other choice since you're in a vacuum.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

drat this thread is really going off the reservation in the final days before ryzen. You guys it's gonna be ok, you don't have to talk about CPUs on the moon just hang on a little longer!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I want to see Ryzen benchmarks compared to the ISS's 486 processors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pryor on Fire posted:

drat this thread is really going off the reservation in the final days before ryzen. You guys it's gonna be ok, you don't have to talk about CPUs on the moon just hang on a little longer!

Well, there's pretty much nothing else to talk about until tomorrow, all the leaks and whatnot are done, NDA lifts tomorrow, then the thread explodes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

SourKraut posted:

What time is the embargo expected to drop?

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/836541044581888000

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Potato Salad posted:

ISS uses 386. Hubble is on 486. Certification for flight takes a long rear end time.

Also, reminder that the aerospace industry loves ADA.

http://www.ada-auth.org/cpl/lists/CPLbase.html

And it's worth remembering that the laptops and such which they use for the research are just normal modern Thinkpads most of the time. They've got about 50 or so thinkpads across the station.

FaustianQ posted:

ARM solution for what? The air processing control and altitude stability controls etc already work, there's no point in replacing them. Perhaps when another module gets added onto the station they might use some ARM processors in the systems for that, but they will still need to be able to communicate with the rest of the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Didnt realize that Ubisoft purchased AMD

• Locked thread