Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never save my living weapon unless I'm about to fight a boss. The second something goesn't go my way in a fight, I pop that poo poo. And then I try to kill as much poo poo as I can before I goes off. That's a big reason getting rid of the cooldown on summoning revenants would be great. I waste like 5 seconds of living weapon waiting for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snak posted:

I never save my living weapon unless I'm about to fight a boss. The second something goesn't go my way in a fight, I pop that poo poo. And then I try to kill as much poo poo as I can before I goes off. That's a big reason getting rid of the cooldown on summoning revenants would be great. I waste like 5 seconds of living weapon waiting for that poo poo.

I should do that because I usually take Hi Nezumi with me and it runes on amrita fumes, but I'm always like BETTER HANG ONTO THIS FOR REASONS.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I was saving it for boss fights at first but it actually charges really quick (and I didn't know for a long time you can use spirit stones to refill it)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I should do that because I usually take Hi Nezumi with me and it runes on amrita fumes, but I'm always like BETTER HANG ONTO THIS FOR REASONS.

Yeah, I almost exclusively use fast-charging spirits. Hi-Nezumi you can pop almost ever fight. Ditto with Daiba-Washi and whatever the butterflies are called.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

I feel like the beginning of the game trains you with bad habits because living weapon takes like 15+ minutes of play to build and you want to save it. As of where I'm at I get it for every 4 or 5 guys I kill so I just blow it any time I run into something bigger than a basic mook.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I finally got around to buying sloth talismans and was expecting them to be way more op than they are with the way people talk about them. Not that they aren't incredibly useful.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I spent most of the game prioritizing fast-charging spirits, but now I'm more focused on what the guardian spirit talisman does.

Speaking of which, what's everyone's favorite couple of spirits? I'm torn between Gyokuto and Mizuchi for my playstyle. I tend to use low stance the most anyway, so the buff to low stance damage gets a lot of mileage for me. Moving fast is always fun, as it having Living Weapon up almost constantly. I use a lot of kayaku-dama, so the ninjitsu buff helps a lot as well. Her summon makes her hop in a circle, leaving a ring of lightning orbs that do little damage but quickly stack the lightning debuff.

Mizuchi's enemies defeated damage buff isn't good for short missions, or going straight for the boss, but if you're willing to build it up, it can contribute a significant amount of damage. Water defense is useful against umi-bozu and the Justice Ministry boss. Amrita bonus is always appreciated. Mizushi's summon sends him forward, dealing multiple water elemental hits and knocking down most enemies. An excellent summon.

I used Kato for awhile, and while I think he's good for raw damage builds that don't want to get bogged down by more conditional and specific damage buffs, his talisman summon isn't quite good enough for me to want to use him. Good Living Weapons stats, okay summon move. Doesn't stack fire well enough to be worth it when kayaku-dama exist.

Daiba-Washi is good for speedy builds, but its talisman summon doesn't stack up much of the wind debuff. Knocks enemies down though, so if you're not going for discord there's that.

Kara-Jishi is the primary offensive based lightning spirit, with a direct buff to Lightning damage. increases your Ki capacity, giviing you more longevity in fights. High damage bonus from the Skill stat. Also drains life on skill usage. Strong, slow-recharging Living weapon. Summon is a beam of lightning that always starts too far foward for my taste. I prefer Gyokuto for lightning, as her lightning orbs last awhile and can be laid down before a fight, like the caltrops

Itokuri, the spider one is good if you're trying to farm a lot of gear quickly, but overall I find paralysis underwhelming when discord and lifeseal and sloth talismans are thing.

Aya-komori, the bat, is probably better than I give it credit for. It's increased damage from behind bonus is a key part of the highest damage builds I've seen. The high infinite ninjitsu chance is cool too.

I haven't spent much time with the rest. Mizuchi is currently my go-to for the strength of its summon attack, and its well-rounded Living Weapon stats

Revins fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Also I finally got around to buying sloth talismans and was expecting them to be way more op than they are with the way people talk about them. Not that they aren't incredibly useful.

They're mainly about opening windows for you to start stacking the fight in your favour. By the time the talisman's worn off, you should be an invincible buzzsaw halfway through bisecting your helpless, crippled opponent. Magic/Spirit builds simply do not fight fair.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Bat is awesome for the damage bonus also his charm attack forces people to fall over so you can final blow them, even humanoid bosses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like the beginning of the game trains you with bad habits because living weapon takes like 15+ minutes of play to build and you want to save it. As of where I'm at I get it for every 4 or 5 guys I kill so I just blow it any time I run into something bigger than a basic mook.

Depends on the living weapon you pick. Daiba-Washi never takes close to 15 minutes. Maybe like, 3 minutes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know their names but the phoenix is my favourite guardian spirit, I was using a different one every mission in my first run but ended up using that one pretty much exclusively in NG+. It activates if you take a hit that was going to kill you and its special attack/damage are pretty good (the enemy is usually on fire by the time you're done too which is neat) I also used the earth one with kodama sense a lot because I love them (I was hoping for some kind of special kodama guardian spirit after you collected them all but there didn't seem to be any reward)

I also like the little spider just because it's cute (I can't tell how useful paralysis actually is in this game)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
There's a helmet you can craft apparently that ups the damage you do to Paralyzed enemies by 40% or so. I'm still newish, and I dont know how easy it is to apply paralysis on an enemy but it seems like it could be a fun build.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The thing about paralysis is that it only last until you hit them. So you need to do some kind of uber hit. You could probably stack skill damage for some monster Iai strikes, but...

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 1, 2017

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know their names but the phoenix is my favourite guardian spirit, I was using a different one every mission in my first run but ended up using on that one pretty much exclusively in NG+. It activates if you take a hit that was going to kill you and its special attack/damage are pretty good (the enemy is usually on fire by the time you're done too which is neat) I also used the earth one with kodama sense a lot because I love them (I was hoping for some kind of special kodama guardian spirit after you collected them all but there didn't seem to be any reward)

I also like the little spider just because it's cute (I can't tell how useful paralysis actually is in this game)

That is a cute spider.

There's better options for everything Itokuri provides except the item drop rate bonuses, however there's other guardian spirits that provide bonuses to luck or amrita and gold find (mizuchi) that outclass the spider, imo. Discord/confusion (caused by causing two or more different elemental effects at one time) leaves enemies almost completely unable to regenerate ki, and generally moving much more slowly and taking more damage. If you can stack fire and poison and invest in the passive that boosts the recurring damage from those effects, they'll be taking a large amount of DPS from those as well. Paralysis just leads to an occasional stun that is instantly removed once you hit them again. Discord, lifesteal talismans, and sloth talismans are all easier are more effective in the long run. The other guardian spirit talismans are generally more worthwhile, as far as I've seen.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Spider is best for Smithing Texts which are the only things worth luck manipulating.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
When do I get the little bat spirit? Just beat the first mission of region six so I must be close.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Bat is from Region 2 I'm pretty sure. It's the mission to get they guy's sword back.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

Spider is best for Smithing Texts which are the only things worth luck manipulating.

Isn't Gyokuto (the rabbit) the best for smithing texts if you can use living weapon as a finisher? It's Luck (Using living weapon) +100.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Unfinish3d posted:

Speaking of which, what's everyone's favorite couple of spirits?

In no particular order: The peacock, Kato, Kara-Jishi, Mizuchi

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Luck is half of the equation. You also want to boost Item Drop as much as possible with as much luck as possible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That makes sense.

I just kearned something neat: yoy don't flinch from being shot with projectiles while living weapon is active. So if you are trading fire with an enemy sniper you don't get knocked out of aiming.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

I spent most of the game prioritizing fast-charging spirits, but now I'm more focused on what the guardian spirit talisman does.

Speaking of which, what's everyone's favorite couple of spirits?

My favorites are Suzaku, Daiba-Washi, and Paired Raiken for the Guardian Spirit Talisman. Suzaku does a huge fire AoE and can do some great multi-hits on enemies if you get the range right. Daiba-Washi isn't great for building up the wind debuff, but it's a fast, guaranteed knockdown that can completely trivialize any fight with a human opponent. And Paired Raiken is a multi-hit attack that stacks the lightning debuff almost instantly, which is basically a mini Sloth Talisman that counts towards discord. Paired Raiken get credit for getting me through some of the hardest multi-yokai fights.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Stacking bonus damage from behind is hilarious and amazing. 22% from my sword, 12% from the ninja skill, plus the mastery from swords means I more than double damage from behind.

Edit: and I am pretty sure it work with haze II.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 1, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Right now I'm level 72, the only available mission I have is recommended at 78. Do I need to grind up a some levels to comfortably take the mission on, or am I fine to go forward?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Right now I'm level 72, the only available mission I have is recommended at 78. Do I need to grind up a some levels to comfortably take the mission on, or am I fine to go forward?

You're fine. Mission levels are more an indication of loot quality than anything. Pay more attention to the number of graves that goes from one to five, that's a better indicator.

In NG+ you'll routinely do missions 150 levels above you no problem.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can't quite seem to get the hang of Muneshige on my second playthrough. I beat him in 3 or 4 tries on my first, but he's gotten me a couple dozen times on my second. I'm using the same resources I had available to me then, plus caltrops, so if anything I should have an edge. I guess I beat him in a fluke the first time around. With light armor I'm getting one-shot left and right, 2 shots at the very most. Might just put him on the backburner and cheese him later. It's not like he has anything to offer this build anyway.

I also had a not inconsiderable amount of bourbon tonight which may have had a small effect.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Well I finally finished the main story line last night after a whopping 58 hours, money well spent. I've dipped my toe into NG+ and I've not finished all the dojo, twilight or the double boss missions yet so plenty of longevity. Been using dual swords the whole game almost exclusively (I used a very high damage katana for orochi) and now I'm going to start experimenting with other weapons, seeing as red demon divine armour is literally everywhere I guess it'll be the spear first.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man I am awful at this - I might have hosed up my build. I wanted to do the chain sickle thing and raised dex and skill to 15, and body to 8. I'm on the second mission and stuck on the bat lady boss - not sure I've even gotten her below half. The chain whip doesn't seem great there so I've been doing double swords, but I can't seem to safely get more than 1 swing in, and even then, I'm having a ton of trouble dodging the big spinning move that summons a yokai region. Then, she gets all her stamina back because after that move, I don't even have time to low-stance quick attack purify without getting hit again.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Press the block button.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man I am awful at this - I might have hosed up my build. I wanted to do the chain sickle thing and raised dex and skill to 15, and body to 8. I'm on the second mission and stuck on the bat lady boss - not sure I've even gotten her below half. The chain whip doesn't seem great there so I've been doing double swords, but I can't seem to safely get more than 1 swing in, and even then, I'm having a ton of trouble dodging the big spinning move that summons a yokai region. Then, she gets all her stamina back because after that move, I don't even have time to low-stance quick attack purify without getting hit again.

You haven't hosed up your build, trust me. It's nearly impossible to do so in Nioh. Weapons scale with three stats each and they do so pretty generously, so don't worry too much about what stats you're increasing.

The bat lady boss is hard and is a brick wall for a lot of players. Make sure you block when you're getting hit with a combo--it's easier to block out of a combo than to dodge, and blocking is very strong in Nioh. Equip Anti-Paralytic Needles to a quickslot, because you can use them when you're paralyzed to instantly break free. Since you've been leveling Dexterity, you should have some ninjutsu. When she flies into the air, tag her with a few shuriken or kunai and she'll fall down and be stunned for a moment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Summon a friend.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Another advice for summoning a friend.

If you really want to beat her yourself you should find some stuff that has paralysis resistance. It actually reduces the amount of time you spend paralysised if you get hit.

Also you can shoot her out of the air. Try ninja stars.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's also a ninjutsu skill that gives you pills that make you immune to paralysis for a short time. Since you've leveled Dexterity, you might have some skill points you can grab those with.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Harrow posted:

There's also a ninjutsu skill that gives you pills that make you immune to paralysis for a short time. Since you've leveled Dexterity, you might have some skill points you can grab those with.

I used those pills the first time I beat her, she never paralyzed me once, subsequent kills I managed without the pills, but I definitely got paralyzed and it was overall more annoying (though easier, since I was much higher level)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Harrow posted:

I'm using these pills, my problem is mostly just dodging consistently - I occasionally die to paralysis but it's rare. I'm trying to get used to blocking more - bloodborne/souls gave me bad habits for this game.

Knowing she drops out of the air if you throw kunai will help for sure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm using these pills, my problem is mostly just dodging consistently - I occasionally die to paralysis but it's rare. I'm trying to get used to blocking more - bloodborne/souls gave me bad habits for this game.

Knowing she drops out of the air if you throw kunai will help for sure.

Yeah, this game is different enough from Souls and Bloodborne that you need to unlearn some things.

If it helps, the invincibility on your dodge comes right at the start of the animation, so you want to dodge at the last possible moment to dodge through an attack. Dodging around her and hitting her in the back gives you much bigger openings.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Don't try to dodge the wing combo, it almost never works. You need to block it instead; you'll lose a big chunk of ki but she has a very slow recovery on that attack if you're up in your face and it's actually one of the better times to land some hits and then get away. The telegraph is her flaring her wings a bit behind her before she does it, but it's hard to react to, so it's better to just be pro-active with your block up while you're in front of her, because the other things she does on the ground are easier to react-to.

That entire fight is there to teach you that certain attacks are easier to block then they are to dodge and if you try to play using only one of those defensive abilities then you'll get pounded for it on occasion.

The best way to drain her ki is not by doing anything on the ground but wait until she goes in the air. Dodge a scream or block the knives then immediately through a kunai/shuriken. Repeat until she lands or you knock her out of the sky.

It's a really mobile fight and you're not going to get many opportunities to attack at once. For her melee and umbrella attacks, one hit and get out. One hit if you can dodge through her paralysis bullets. Two hits for her wing attack and grab recovery. Three hits when she does the flying charge either from the air or across the room. Land any attacks beyond those and her own attack will hit you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah, learning that you can drop her out of the sky took Hino-enma from one of the toughest bosses in the game to a cakewalk for me.

Did anyone get a lot of use out of poison shurikens?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Don't try to dodge the wing combo, it almost never works. You need to block it instead; you'll lose a big chunk of ki but she has a very slow recovery on that attack if you're up in your face and it's actually one of the better times to land some hits and then get away. The telegraph is her flaring her wings a bit behind her before she does it, but it's hard to react to, so it's better to just be pro-active with your block up while you're in front of her, because the other things she does on the ground are easier to react-to.

That entire fight is there to teach you that certain attacks are easier to block then they are to dodge and if you try to play using only one of those defensive abilities then you'll get pounded for it on occasion.

The best way to drain her ki is not by doing anything on the ground but wait until she goes in the air. Dodge a scream or block the knives then immediately through a kunai/shuriken. Repeat until she lands or you knock her out of the sky.

It's a really mobile fight and you're not going to get many opportunities to attack at once. For her melee and umbrella attacks, one hit and get out. One hit if you can dodge through her paralysis bullets. Two hits for her wing attack and grab recovery. Three hits when she does the flying charge either from the air or across the room. Land any attacks beyond those and her own attack will hit you.

You can dodge the wing combo pretty easily in low stance with A agility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
A general rule: if you're getting stunlocked, hit block as fast as you can. You can also dodge while you're blocking.