Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aesthetics needn't be divorced from civics. Industrial zone design could be a game all its own, because it's wildly different from residential/commercial and looks awesome when done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Then you have the head of CO saying something like "to me the game is just about maximizing your income. I don't care about aesthetics it's just a puzzle to optimize your profits and I don't understand how people play it otherwise but I guess they do??" while blankly staring finnishly through the camera.
I stopped playing CS because the cycle is:

-Plan traffic so it flows, usually by repeating the same drat rotaries/public transport in every new area
-Zone to make the demand bars go down or zone ahead of time because it takes a while for demand to actually increase
-Shove a bunch of the same utility buildings anywhere there's not coverage in those new areas

Repeat over and over. There's no focus on income. There's no gameplay focus on anything except traffic. Your population just goes up and money constantly flows in. The tourist system is shallow, the hotel/whatever stuff is shallow, zoning/income/buildings are shallow, and overall it's a traffic sim game pretty much. Which is fine. I enjoy CS and it's the best city sim I've played. It just really does lack depth if you want to play it as a game, and not in a complexity/cpu wrecking way but instead in a "nothing you do, besides road layout, actually matters from a strategic point of view" way. Like, how do you even "maximize" income in CS when you have pretty much infinite money relative to the demand of zoning after the first half hour or so of play tops?

I wasn't even a big drat nerd about this game. I went into it blind. I haven't played that many hours. Maybe 10-11 hours, 110k pop city, 2.5m cash. I still haven't played modded even. The base game is pretty decent, and most of the mods I saw didn't really change game mechanics much. It seemed like quality of life or cosmetic stuff mostly. For the record, I think it's fairly brilliant that a city sim works so well based solely around traffic planning. But even in traffic planning, there's no huge payoff for most forms of transportation provided you already have functional transit. You don't get rewarded for having an intracity train system if you already have a decent subway. This can even be expanded to trams and other stuff.

What I'd like to see is more factors influencing gameplay or the traffic/building system enhanced in some way. It felt like there's nothing to actually manage except traffic while playing and everything else was busywork that you never have to plan, manage, trade-off on income, or give any actual thought. They have an interesting depth system for underground stuff, but at the end of the day it's irrelevant because nothing goes underground. They have nice water flow mechanics, but it doesn't matter because the water system is super simple and nothing ever floods. They have countless systems like this in the game that are done well from a technical or potential gameplay point of view, but they don't tie it into the game in a meaningful way.

The game has a lot of potential and engine-wise it seems like they did almost everything right or competently at worst, but they seem hesitant to ramp up the gameplay or mechanics in any way.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 25, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, in real life cities are way more interesting than "does the traffic flow". Why is this one town small and the other large? Why is this city stagnant and this one booming? Why does this city have a ton of auto-related industry while this other city is dominated by finance? It's not because their mayors just zoned or plopped down those things, there's generally interesting stories and reasons behind it all. I don't need some super detailed economic or political sim, but some actual depth to the economic simulation and some politics would do wonders to let your city "tell a story". Right now the stories of our cities, other than what we purely invent in our heads is "there was a town, it was lacking services so services were built. There was a traffic problem but the correct thing was done to solve it. There are more missing services so they were built. The population has increased because the ratio of buildings is correct"'

I've always wanted a game that sort of tells a story as your city grows, and lets your city grow in a vaguely natural way. In skylines I find I never go back to an area once it's done, and because of that I need a fairly clear picture of what the "finished" city will look like and there's a huge chunk of time that the city looks awkward and bad because it's not finished. It's such a pain in the rear end detailing and getting things right you want to set it in amber when it's perfect. I don't feel like I'm playing a game or my city is growing in real time, I feel like I'm drawing a picture of something and it's work and not so interesting until it's mostly done, then it's just going back to shade and add some details.

I want to start with some little village, and grow from there. That at any point I could take a screen shot and it would look more or less like a reasonably believable place. That my city would always have a natural transition from the city centre to suburbs to farms/country, not because I painstakingly sculpted it that way, but because actual gameplay mechanics just sort of steer things that way.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
One of my assets is on the first page of most popular for the week :stare:

e: three others are on page 2 :stare: :stare:

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 25, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Any of you had an issue with assets not loading? It's all subscribed but for some reason when I'm starting the game now nothing's showing up in the asset browser or anything.

E: Restarting Steam fixed it, weird.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 26, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/836576956955115521

That was unexpected. Were they even talking about a new expansion recently?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

A little more info here:

quote:

About this Game

Mass Transit is the latest expansion for Cities: Skylines, the award-winning city-building game, and it brings several new systems into play to help citizens traverse their towns in speed and style. Commuters can now get around on the water, up high mountain peaks, and even through the sky thanks to the addition of ferries, monorails, cable cars, and blimps to the game. Along with new transit service buildings, mass transit hubs where lines can exchange passengers, new scenarios, new landmarks, and new road types, urban planners now have more options than ever to add unique style and personality to their growing cities.

Feature List

Sick Transit, Glorious Money: Add a wealth of new transit options to your city, and add wealth to your city’s income! Let your citizens get across town in ferries, blimps, cable cars, and monorails!

Orderly Hub, Bub: New mass transit hubs can bring all of your services together, letting citizens change rail lines in one building, or hop from the bus onto the ferry, or even find their way through a sprawling monorail-train- metro station.

Become a Roads Scholar: Explore a set of new challenge scenarios focused on solving traffic problems and adding new transit systems. New road types, bridges and canals adds variety to your city, and new ways to solve its challenges. Become an expert in traffic flow, and then use that knowledge to improve your city!

New Hats for Chirper: NEW. HATS. FOR CHIRPER. (And also new unique buildings, policies and achievements. But HATS!)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

canepazzo posted:

That was unexpected. Were they even talking about a new expansion recently?

They mentioned having a new announcement a few days ago.

And also, wow, this DLC actually looks pretty cool. That's a lot of new transport types.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pity it doesn't have above-ground Metro.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Pity it doesn't have above-ground Metro.

Why bother with that when MOM already works so well?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

From the forum announcement thead:

Per usual, the new expansion will arrive together with a free update to the base game upon release. This free update adds mod-inspired features to traffic management, such as an extended public transport budget, emergency vehicle overtaking and more road features. The patch will also include the much-requested ability to name roads.

nice

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I hope the patch makes it so zooming in remotely close doesn't result in endlessly listening to sirens

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I hope the patch makes it so zooming in remotely close doesn't result in endlessly listening to sirens
Why isn't there a mod to shut the loving sirens up? Or why can't I find one? my ears->:cry:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

Why isn't there a mod to shut the loving sirens up? Or why can't I find one? my ears->:cry:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818641631&searchtext=Ambient+sounds+tuner

You can use this mod to mute them. You can also use it to only have a certain percentage of emergency vehicles use their sirens, or even give them all unique sirens.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
This might do it?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818641631&searchtext=Ambient+Sounds+tuner

e; should've refreshed

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Awesome. No wonder I could never find anything. I was searching for something that muted the awful sirens specifically.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

OwlFancier posted:

Aesthetics needn't be divorced from civics. Industrial zone design could be a game all its own, because it's wildly different from residential/commercial and looks awesome when done right.

You've got the dumbest red text I've ever seen. How did you possibly piss someone off enough about wallpaper that they spend :10bux: on it

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I was just thinking about reinstalling this game too. Any eta on when the expansion would release?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CascadeBeta posted:

I was just thinking about reinstalling this game too. Any eta on when the expansion would release?

Very rough estimate, 2-3 months. This is pretty much the first we've heard of it and they'll probably do a series of dev diaries, streams, etc. to build hype.

The game is in a pretty good spot right now with mods, though. If you haven't played with Move It or Metro Overhaul Mod yet, both add a lot to the game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I have not! I always used traffic++ or that presidential traffic mod. Are those still in vogue?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Looking forward to the mod that swaps in old zeppelins for blimps.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I find it hilarious how some people say that Sim City 4's traffic simulation is so much better than Cities: Skylines. Because there aren't any problems with vanilla SC4. None at all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

turn off the TV posted:

Why bother with that when MOM already works so well?

A lot of people, me included, do not like relying on mods for big features like that. And with this game in particular, with how many people have had issues with mods breaking in the past, it makes it even more iffy. I still use modded content whenever I do play, but I have a city set aside where I didn't use any serious mods just in case.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm still in some partial disbelief that I'm into this expansion pack. I sort of gave up hope when Natural Disasters was announced.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah this is almost a guaranteed buy for me. I skipped Natural Disasters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The zepplin based transport is very silly. At least the others are all actual working real world forms of transport. Disapointed they aren't touching trams or adding trams unlocked through this dlc. Paradox has begun having paid-features unlocked from multiple DLC's, unlocking trams with this DLC seems obvious.

I also assume their increased funding control will be like a half-way point between improved transit control mod and vanilla so everyone will just keep using the mod. Just like when they added themes but with a much worse interface and worse functionality than the mod they were responding to.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 28, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im intrigued enough to play around with zeppelin transport, even if its just a thing I use for my special project/experimental cities.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToastyPotato posted:

A lot of people, me included, do not like relying on mods for big features like that. And with this game in particular, with how many people have had issues with mods breaking in the past, it makes it even more iffy. I still use modded content whenever I do play, but I have a city set aside where I didn't use any serious mods just in case.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. It really would be much nicer if you could just choose which version of the game to install, and if Workshop content didn't get deleted for everyone when or if the creator decides to take it down. It's a potentially lovely situation that only seems solvable through piracy.

Baronjutter posted:

The zepplin based transport is very silly. At least the others are all actual working real world forms of transport.

It is rather strange to include zeppelins and not helicopter airlines, despite the fact that they have helicopters already coded.

On the other hand zeppelins are pretty neato.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Guys, who cares. We can have the retro-future zeppelins we always dreamed of! Before the drat Nazi's went and ruined it all.

I'd totally have local zeppelin service to the four corners of my city. Little to no restructuring of bus and tram routes! A MIRACLE!!

Because gently caress I swear a quarter of my time in this game is re-doing bus routes after I change anything.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 28, 2017

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Mass Transit? Just have enough highways and you don't need such nonsense.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Friction posted:

Mass Transit? Just have enough highways and you don't need such nonsense.

if the citizens of Bonerton Falls want to ride a zeppelin to work they will ride a goddamn zeppelin to work ok

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh hey more transit types. This will fit in perfectly next to the extra zones and extra services that mesh so well with the base game.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I hope the blimps can all get names, so I can name mine the Excelsior.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Guys, who cares. We can have the retro-future zeppelins we always dreamed of! Before the drat Nazi's went and ruined it all.
I think the idea is they are a tourist attraction, but of course given how the game works you can definitely use them for transit.

I am definitely building some zeppelins.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

if the citizens of Bonerton Falls want to ride a zeppelin to work they will ride a goddamn zeppelin to work ok

If I had an option to commute to work each day in a blimp I totally would.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I think blimps will be the ingredient we never knew we needed for proper dystopian cities. Right now, I'm imagining the higher districts built high up on a plateau with the lower classes trapped below in a polluted industrial hell scape. The blimps that take the upper classes out of the city to their tourist destinations are reskinned with messages directing the servant classes to know their place.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Cities: Skylines Just Build Gotham City Already expansion.

Kinda wish they gave us more options on existing things in the game to make the system more robust rather than just slapping in some new, seemingly random modes but I guess we'll see how it works out.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Finally got a chance to sit down and beat the included scenarios - does anyone have any recommendations for new scenarios from the workshop?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
:laffo:

:laffo:

I love this so much. It made my day.

e: haha holy poo poo it's a real building IRL. That's even more hilarious.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
HW was the CIA Director in 1976 and '77.