Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not always a bad idea when Johnny Fucktard at the local Midas knows poo poo about specific models.

I mean, besides oil changes, I take my Kia to a Kia dealer. I'd rather Johnny Fucktard's cousin that works on Kias all day fix my Kia, not the guy working on a shotgun pattern of knowledge.

Substitute Kia for any car actually worth real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Dealers are, more often than not, the better way to go for repairs and service, because if they gently caress up, they're far more concerned about fixing it than most chain and small garages

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My experience with service at the dealership. Dealership either puts cheap washer fluid or water in the tank and it freezes solid. They offer to thaw it out and then charge me $100. Haven't been back since.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Rad Lieutenant posted:

lol you went to the dealer for service

I have a hybrid it has batteries and computers and poo poo

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
It feels like a choice between getting hosed by one diseasey dick or several cleaner dicks.

Speaking of, I have an 07 acura MDX with about 125K miles on it, and the suspension sounds like a rusty creaky aluminum ladder. It probably needs a lot of other scheduled services. Do I dare take it to a mom and pop?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Suspension is an all around simple thing on a ten year old Japanese car. It has its own ASE certification. As long as you take it to a shop that has ASE suspension certified techs, yeah, it should be fine.

If it was the fancy magnet based one, then I'd drag it to a dealer. Simple poo poo like oil, coolant, brakes, etc, a small shop or chain is fine. More specific poo poo, internals, even trans fluid, I'd take it to a dealer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^You bring up a good point. ASE certifies people in different specialties. My old local Jiffy Lube had half a dozen employees' ASE certifications on the wall for customer service.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A dad discovered his daughter will become Sarah Connor today.
https://www.reddit.com/r/shittyrobots/comments/5wjdus/frozen_yogurt_robot_at_nasa_made_the_cup_to_her/

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ASE is a money grab, just like every other certification out there.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mad Dragon posted:

ASE is a money grab, just like every other certification out there.

im always amused by the litany of random things goons hate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gonna go look at a 86 f150 with the 302, 4X4 and over 100k miles.
Wants $900 for it.
It's for hauling crap around our 5 acres and Home Depot runs.

He describes it as a beater so how bad can it be?

:homebrew:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I don't think it's a money grab necessarily but I have known plenty of ASE Certified techs that couldn't diagnose poo poo to save their rear end. Like anything else it's just a piece of paper that says you took a course and a test, whether or not it actually sunk in is a different story. I'm fortunate that I have the training and can work on my own cars so I don't usually ever have to deal with shops or dealers. My experience with shops in this area is almost universally bad, they've all tried to pull scams or straight up charged me for work they then didn't do or hosed up something else while doing it so I'll never trust another person to touch my cars again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
And that's why anything important goes to a dealer or I do it myself.

ASE tests are not terribly difficult but they keep true shadetrees in their own yards to some extent. You have to have at least a common grasp on what the test covers. Also two years experience and pay a fee.

They're not be-all end-all on keeping a shitheel out of a shop, but it's better than nothing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I dunno i think i will take my car to the dealer until it passes the 100k mark, due to warranties and all that poo poo. Once thats past, its going to mom and pop shops. I change my own oil and do my own air/cabin filters, the only other service in the manual for the first 100000 miles is brake jobs/tire rotations, and retorqueing all of the chassis bolts every 30000 miles or so, which is something that I am definitely taking to the dealer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol if you take your car to the dealer outside of warrant and included maintenance

It's the same 18 year olds working on your poo poo as anywhere else

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dealerships have enough money to pay for their own fuckups.

Anecdote: My brother took his car in for an oil change at the dealership. The dumbfucks double-gasketed the filter, oil leaked out for a while and the engine seized four hours from home. The dealership had the resources to provide him a loaner and replace the engine with a new one on the dealer's dime.

Mom and pop shops can't afford that. Chain stores can maybe afford the engine, but you'd be out of wheels until they replaced it. Franchise shops especially suck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well considering that my regular mechanic had no idea that there were cars that could calculate air pressure in a tire based off of the wheel speed reported by ABS sensors, regular new cars are pretty loving advanced for your average mom and pop mechanic.

I had an ABS sensor fail with only 150 miles on the clock, but it manifested as a TPMS light that wouldn't turn off even after i reset the system. Had to take it to the dealership to figure out that the ABS sensor was sending bad wheel speed data that made the car think my right front tire was low on air.

E: also the dealer having the money to cover their fuckups and providing you a loaner while they fix them is nice.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Jesus Christ what are you guys driving that you need more that regular oil changes? I've got two honda's that are more than 10 years old and all I've needed is scheduled maintenance.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Scheduled maintenance is more than oil changes. Brakes are a 50-100k mile thing for most people, which can mean bearings too. Shocks/struts are recommended between 40-60k (but who ever does that on schedule). Auto trans need flushing here and there. Some cars are super finnicky about how coolant is flushed. Some cars are shittier than others.

Hondas tend to bend on the near indestructible side of things, like Kias of the past decade and hynudais of the past two. Just because your decade old hondas are never in need of serious repair doesn't mean something less reliable can do the same with regular maintenance.

See: everything Chrysler has touched or made in decades.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol if you take your car to the dealer outside of warrant and included maintenance

It's the same 18 year olds working on your poo poo as anywhere else

i have a new car, i take it to a dealership for maintenance to create a paper trail and prevent any bullshitting in case they don't feel like paying out on the warranty

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
death to the kiwi tyrant

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The queen is a oval office.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
*me seeing what happened in this thread*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYBL70eReo

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Pouring one out for my dad homies.

p.s. America is Number 1.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
re john candy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mk2n3tk9c

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9l5G0hR9zQ

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I took the ASE tests while I was in school. Then I got picked up for BMW's technical training school, where ASE meant gently caress all. I don't remember what I paid then, but now it costs over $400 to take all 9 of the basic tests. Recertification is every five years, and it caps at $153.

It's not nearly as bad as the CompTIA/DoD continuing education scam.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Noice

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
lol BMW drivers

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

lol the dude has a shirt with a beer on it and it says "courage"

loving idiot

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Don't be this guy at the gym please.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLzm-Gy0dQ

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

TBeats posted:

Don't be this guy at the gym please.

You mean the guy taking pictures of strangers and posting them on the internet?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
That gym is like completely empty from that pic. Don't be a fussy little bitch!!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zeris posted:

You mean the guy taking pictures of strangers and posting them on the internet?

Stranger to you, maybe.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I am going to visit The Wall for vacation.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Woof Blitzer posted:

I am going to visit The Wall for vacation.

Gotta wait until trump builds it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mike-o posted:

Gotta wait until trump builds it.

There's plenty of wall already built. Duh

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I had the most dad evening: first lawn mowing of the season.

In March!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOE1ScBozI

• Locked thread