Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harlock posted:

On a scale of Far Cry 2 to Far Cry 4 please rate Horizon
Ghost Recon Wildlands, but with robot dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Actual Mass Effect gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rwdaI8rCo

This looks more like Destiny 2 (with worse combat) than Mass Effect 4.

Is it just me or does everyone use an Avenger rifle in cutscenes like in Mass Effect 3?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Horizon is super pretty (though not as pretty as UC4 on Pro/4K) but kinda dull and derivative? And this is coming from someone who liked FC Primal, admittedly with super low expectations on that one.

Gonna keep playing it to see if it gets better but not a spectacular first impression.

edit: the side quests so far are not good at all, that's for sure. Might just stick to the main story.

edit 2: also gently caress whoever made square the crouch button.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 1, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this looks so passionless and dull

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Horizon is less Far Cry and more The Witcher 3, if it had a poor story yet great combat. It's that style of ARPG open world though. There's little in the way of crazy hijinks and the crafting is mostly for preparing special bombs/ammo/potions for specific monsters.

It does give a bad first impression though. Like The Witcher 3, you're locked in a big starting area for the first several hours with some quests that introduce game mechanics. But unlike The Witcher 3, that area doesn't have a compelling story and the environment is the dullest of the game. Once you get into the broader world it gets far better.

Also, I'm playing on hard which feels about right. Easier modes may be less interesting?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this looks so passionless and dull

my fave thing is how special elite chosen intergalactic space soldier sounds like a little girl playing pretend with her retarded blue friend

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

my fave thing is how special elite chosen intergalactic space soldier sounds like a little girl playing pretend with her retarded blue friend
Please don't spoil the ending to Mass Effect Andromeda.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

my favorite part is how her rubber face is just getting worse

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Please don't spoil the ending to Mass Effect Andromeda.
Now now, the first ME game had a plenty good ending. As the start of a new series I guess, this one is more likely to be like that...right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now now, the first ME game had a plenty good ending. As the start of a new series I guess, this one is more likely to be like that...right?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I bought an external hard drive in anticipation for system software 4.5. WHERE'S IT AT, SONY?!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The auto updating on my PS4 is completely retarded right now. This is like 3 games in a row where this has happened to me. I'll pop in a disc, start the update, and put the PS4 in rest mode to do something else, when I leave, my PS4 decides to update and prioritize some totally random game on my HD that shouldn't even be updating because it's not on the main page, leaving whatever I just bought downloading at a snails pace. To top it off the numbers don't even make sense. I'll pause and restart and the size of the update will completely change. Wtf

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

idk why people use a PS4 to stream media content at all tbh when you can use a stick or otherwise to stream and navigate much faster and intutively, while drawing seemingly no power. Not to mention a much better bluetooth remote, or using your phone, and streaming content easily from your phone

Especially when a fire TV or stick with Kodi exist

Roku's are really good too goons just think they're above that old person device or some poo poo

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Far Cry Primal

I thought Primal was terrible and didn't get past the first hour as it was just a literal reskin of Far Cry 4, which was even hard to get through for me as it just felt like they ran out of cool ideas after 3 and just used the same poo poo.

The combat and environment in Horizon are leagues better than Far Cry in my opinion and I'm enjoying it greatly. It's kind of like the good things in far cry plus a little tomb raider.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Primal really wasn't bad and I don't think playing it for an hour is a very good barometer. It's not amazing or anything but I had a decent time with it and the map similarities with Far Cry 4 are blown way out of proportion. Yeah, they obviously used it as the framework but it's completely unrecognizable unless you are doing a side by side of the world maps.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, I remember when they just reused this part of Far Cry 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-YQrbn-JQ

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I hope none of the creatures in Horizon: Zero Dawn are endangered :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are totally valid criticisms of Far Cry Primal, but one of my main criteria for Good Games is "Can you pet the animals" and that has me worried for Horizon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MGSV best dog petting?!!!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

idk why people use a PS4 to stream media content at all tbh when you can use a stick or otherwise to stream and navigate much faster and intutively, while drawing seemingly no power. Not to mention a much better bluetooth remote, or using your phone, and streaming content easily from your phone

Especially when a fire TV or stick with Kodi exist

Roku's are really good too goons just think they're above that old person device or some poo poo

Yeah, uh, I don't know if you've actually used Kodi but it's pretty poo poo at DLNA streaming. Hitching and pausing all over the place, and that's when you can actually get it to play the file in the first place. The PS4 is better at it than Kodi but I wouldn't exactly call it great. The PS3, however, does an amazing job with DLNA streaming so that's what I use.

In short, gently caress sticks and gently caress Kodi. They are not good.

Edit: My TV actually has Netflix and Amazon Video apps built into it. I used to use them but then the Netflix app completely hardlocked the whole drat TV more than once. So I don't bother with that anymore so I use my PS3 and/or PS4, which both work flawlessly. So tell me why I should spend money on a stick or a Roku when what I have works great.

...! fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 1, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Zero Dawn is pretty cool so far (I'm about to return to the village for my brave trial thing I think). I've only died once on Hard but fighting the more advanced enemies like scrappers always feels like I'm barely on top of the situation.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

Zero Dawn is pretty cool so far (I'm about to return to the village for my brave trial thing I think). I've only died once on Hard but fighting the more advanced enemies like scrappers always feels like I'm barely on top of the situation.

Someone in either this or the Horizon thread mentioned playing on V. hard to really enjoy the game. I have to agree. Each encounter has more weight to it and I am always using my traps and such. Really let's all the interlocking systems shine.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Retro42 posted:

Someone in either this or the Horizon thread mentioned playing on V. hard to really enjoy the game. I have to agree. Each encounter has more weight to it and I am always using my traps and such. Really let's all the interlocking systems shine.

I'm playing on Very Hard and it's loving ridiculous. Two hits from the easiest bot and you go down. It means you have to always be extremely well prepared for each encounter and be ready to run away if things go sideways and use stealth as much as possible. It's also very, very fun.

I don't really get the complaints about the story or area but I really dig the Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome vibe it has going with the tribals and I love the environment. Some of the sidequests are cheesy (Brom is the worst by far, having played around 10 or so sidequests now) and some are run of the mill "save this person who went went and got lost or captured" but I mean, that's basic poo poo for video games since Mario.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

I feel like I should be convincing myself not to buy this but I do know that I don't need convincing to not play as the female Ryder. That VA (with no help from the dialogue) was grating.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

el oso posted:

I feel like I should be convincing myself not to buy this but I do know that I don't need convincing to not play as the female Ryder. That VA (with no help from the dialogue) was grating.

After FemShep, it's a precipitous drop to be sure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ryder with a Y is such a dumb name

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

el oso posted:

There's something about the way she looks that is very off putting. Gameplay looks super bland too. The Destiny comparison was very apt. It even pops up cover around the thing you activate, like the designers didn't even try to introduce enemies in a sensible way. Just pop magic cover up and teleport enemies in.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ryder with a Y is such a dumb name

Unless you're playing GTA: SA. MC Eiht would be a better VA for her.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Horizon loving owns and the photo mode is goddamn amazing.

You have full time of day access on top of normal camera stuff.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bloodychill posted:

I'm playing on Very Hard and it's loving ridiculous. Two hits from the easiest bot and you go down. It means you have to always be extremely well prepared for each encounter and be ready to run away if things go sideways and use stealth as much as possible. It's also very, very fun.

I don't really get the complaints about the story or area but I really dig the Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome vibe it has going with the tribals and I love the environment. Some of the sidequests are cheesy (Brom is the worst by far, having played around 10 or so sidequests now) and some are run of the mill "save this person who went went and got lost or captured" but I mean, that's basic poo poo for video games since Mario.

I'm playing on hard and as a guy whose bread and butter is Souls and Platinum, it feels about right. I can take down a thunderjaw if I prepare and stay on my toes, but it takes every resource I've got and I have to be smart and quick. Very hard seems like it'd be a tad frustrating and tedious for me, but maybe on a later run.

The story is pretty bland. But after the super long starting area it doesn't get in the way of combat, so I don't care.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oxxidation posted:

"Golden age" has more than one meaning you tedious dipshit.

But is it the age of gaming's ambrosia?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Now is the winter of our gaming content.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat Horizon is really good so far. I had maybe 1.5 hours where I thought it was ok and had a bit of "oh god I'm playing another one of these open world games kill me" going on, but after that I started really absorbing into it. Played for about 4 hours and had trouble turning it off. I really like the setting and the dino fighting, but surprisingly I'm really enjoying the story too so far. I also feel like it strikes a nice balance between GTA open world/RPG open world/survival crafting. None of those elements feel particularly under developed or overly tedious.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I can see why people compared it to the recent Tomb Raiders and that's fine by me. The combat feels great.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

We are in the Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc of Gaming

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The Granblue game is four player co-op, I just hope they learned the right lessons from Turtles about that. Or the people that worked on that have nothing to do with it.

Never played that, what was wrong with it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

We are in the Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc of Gaming

Nobody has given alternate definitions for "Golden Age" yet, so I expect apologies and compliments regarding my e-penis yourewelcomethanks

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nobody has given alternate definitions for "Golden Age" yet, so I expect apologies and compliments regarding my e-penis yourewelcomethanks

We are in the post-post-post-post-modern age of gaming, in which it is now cool (relatively speaking) to non-ironically enjoy games somehow.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bloodychill posted:

We are in the post-post-post-post-modern age of gaming, in which it is now cool (relatively speaking) to non-ironically enjoy games somehow.

God-tier theory, as opposed to poo poo-tier.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i want to get Horizon but i want to get zelda for wiiu because i am worried it will be few copies and will be hard to get next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

i want to get Horizon but i want to get zelda for wiiu because i am worried it will be few copies and will be hard to get next month.

This should not be a concern for AAA games.
There's no way even Nintendo would short stack a anticipated game for their 10+ million user base.

Edit:

Wandle Cax posted:

If it's a physical copy, and has CUSA then 5 digits on the spine only, it's a US version, if it has the 5 digits plus 7 smaller digits underneath, it's a EU/UK version. I guess some games complain about US/EU DLC compatability. If it's an EU version and you bought the DLC off the US store that may be why its not working.

Goddamit. It has 7 smaller digits underneath So it's an EU/UK version. Now i'm just confused that the DLC from the Dutch store doesn't work. EU Should be EU right? Doesn't matter if its a German. French, Dutch or UK account? Going to try tonight with an UK account.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 1, 2017