Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I finished a thing!

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nailed it.

I'm not sold on the "you have to chip the hell out of everything" as some of the other guys are. Your stuff looks good as-is. While I do like chipping effects when done correctly, people severely overestimate the amount of weather damage that occurs to a modern armored vehicle. To be frank, the paint will probably outlast the effective combat life of the vehicle.

Obviously, 40K isn't real, so you can go freaking crazy, if you choose to. Just don't feel like you have to.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nailed it.

I'm not sold on the "you have to chip the hell out of everything" as some of the other guys are. Your stuff looks good as-is. While I do like chipping effects when done correctly, people severely overestimate the amount of weather damage that occurs to a modern armored vehicle. To be frank, the paint will probably outlast the effective combat life of the vehicle.

Obviously, 40K isn't real, so you can go freaking crazy, if you choose to. Just don't feel like you have to.

At the same time, ignoring aesthetic reasons, a crazy cyborg cult that turns itself into robosquid abominations would probably be more concerned with keeping the vehicle running than keeping the paint pristine

You're right in general though. Even with the most basic of maintenance, matte military paint would cost nothing to reapply.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My reason for it, or at least 30k Heresy stuff, is hosed supply lines, stranding on planets for months, long campaigns with little support, etc.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pierzak posted:

They look like colored proxy bases with minis added as an afterthought. Kinda hard to appreciate the paintjob when the rims pop more than the mini.

It does make them stand out on tables* and make it super clear who's on who's team, though. And for some games it also indicates arcs.

*still mourning the game I lost because two stands of strelk had blended into a forest and we missed them for long enough the platoon had fled from "casualties" by the time we realised.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Stuff on the last page that seriously owns:
I liked the sepia tone in-universe picture, but I appreciate actually getting a look at these guys. Loads of personality, and the basing unifies them nicely.

Ghazk posted:

Hydra Dominatus

Exactly what I want to see in a hams army. Consistent paintscheme and basing, both wonderfully applied, and a nice variety of units too. These guys own, and I love the hell talon.

Way, way better. It brings the focus back to the model, which looks lovely.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nailed it.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. i'm planning on adding some cogs and rock outcroppings to the bigger bases (if i can figure out how to paint a dusty red rock).

I'm going to skip the battle damage. I like the clean look.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

How did you get the cracked/dried mud effect on those bases? SOOO good.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Looks like Citadel Ironearth with a drybrush if not mistaken.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

How did you get the cracked/dried mud effect on those bases? SOOO good.

I basecoat the base with Mephiston Red, then apply Martian Ironcrust pretty thickly. A wash of P3 Red Ink over that, let it dry, then drybrush is Balor Brown.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Welp this is going to take a while... and that's barely half the infantry :v

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

*still mourning the game I lost because two stands of strelk had blended into a forest and we missed them for long enough the platoon had fled from "casualties" by the time we realised.
Tomayto, tomahto. I prefer to look at it as successfully painted camouflage :v:

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Tried getting some criticism on my latest troll endeavor from the PP forums, but they weren't all that helpful.

First try with NMM. I think it's too similar to the skin color, but not sure what do to to shift it. Maybe use more greys than blues? I've since painted his pants a dark brown which I think go well with the rest of the leather. Also not sure where to go with chin and arm grows. Red like the studio, or a more natural black/greys?

The weapon and shield will eventually be purple or green gemstones.

Help me, goons.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Alokgen posted:

Tried getting some criticism on my latest troll endeavor from the PP forums, but they weren't all that helpful.

First try with NMM. I think it's too similar to the skin color, but not sure what do to to shift it. Maybe use more greys than blues? I've since painted his pants a dark brown which I think go well with the rest of the leather. Also not sure where to go with chin and arm grows. Red like the studio, or a more natural black/greys?

The weapon and shield will eventually be purple or green gemstones.

Help me, goons.

First off how dare you have such good skin tone without telling us how you did it.

Real talk though, I think shifting the armor to more greys would do well to differentiate it from the skin. Maybe a straight-up black or black-grey in the recesses along the edge, with a very thin highlight of pure white (or really light grey) along the raised edges. Especially down the middle, I think a bit of white would do wonders. Depending on how clean or dirty you want it to look, some dark rusty brown around the rivets (or turquoise) might help break it up in places.

As it is I think that it's going really well and that it'll all come together as you continue on.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I'm definitely going to try something different tonight. I saw some examples of using a TMM for the midtone and highlights and then using NMM greys and blacks for the shades. It makes sense that your shadows wouldn't be shiny. I might give that a try.

For TMM, I normal just do a base, wash, then base and highlight, but always feel the results are pretty meh.

I'm also not really looking to weather anything. I have all the AK enemal washes, but they're really time consuming to do properly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Darth Vader with leather jacket and mask sketch, based on a tom of finland drawing.

What's the best way to paint a shiny leather but to keep the sketch style? Or even just painting the shiny leather, but without the sketch. I haven't decided where to go with it yet. I know tom's style had distinctive gradients, but he made simpler black and white sketches too. And yeah I know I have to make the package bigger, along with an appropriately thick paddle or lightsaber.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What the gently caress my man.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Your ships make me want to play Xwang.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, I haven't painted freehand in a while so I know it's rough. I wanted a fun project because ships with female pinups continues to be a thing and I wanted something neat that will hopefully generate salt. The other side will likely be a stormtrooper bottom.

e: Would NMM-like dark greys be appropriate? I'll probably have to paint it like the traditional TOF airbrushed look since I can't imagine a stormtrooper showing booty would look good without a pair of carefully blended cheeks.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 28, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No no, technically its fine and I see the style you're going for and it reads well.

I am confused by the concept and even more so by "make the package bigger".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

and even more so by "make the package bigger".
He wants to make it heroic scale.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The bigger package makes more sense than anything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going for a wizard van style with this compared to the racecar.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ijyt posted:

No no, technically its fine and I see the style you're going for and it reads well.

I am confused by the concept and even more so by "make the package bigger".

Tom of Finland was a famous gay bar artist, all his men had exaggerated packages no matter what pants they were wearing

Chill La Chill is a painter that puts silly things on spaceships to make them more human/natural, like a drag racer with tribal patterns or a bomber with shark teeth

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok explaining Tom makes this make so much more sense.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Welp. 'Tom of Finland' is now in my google dossier.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

dexefiend posted:

Welp. 'Tom of Finland' is now in my google dossier.

You're welcome.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Chill la Chill posted:

Darth Vader with leather jacket and mask sketch, based on a tom of finland drawing.

What's the best way to paint a shiny leather but to keep the sketch style? Or even just painting the shiny leather, but without the sketch. I haven't decided where to go with it yet. I know tom's style had distinctive gradients, but he made simpler black and white sketches too. And yeah I know I have to make the package bigger, along with an appropriately thick paddle or lightsaber.

This is extremely my poo poo.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Any recommendations for brush on gloss varnish?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Vallejo stuff is good, both matte and gloss.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alokgen posted:

Any recommendations for brush on gloss varnish?

I use liquitex gloss medium and varnish, thinned with a little water it goes on smooth, just don't let it pool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I use liquitex gloss and dullcote for matte afterwards. Re: spraying liquitex through airbrush: what PSI and should I bother? If it's too much trouble I'll just keep brushing it on.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

This is more a question for Neurolimal, since he's a self-proclaimed Master shill and also a filthy pleb who I can't PM, so this is gonna poo poo up the thread instead of inboxes. I found this airbrush and compressor kit on Amazon, and it definitely looks like what I'd need to do what I want to do. To be honest, I just want to hear something along the lines of "it's not total poo poo" before dropping $80 on it.

I mean, the reviews are mostly positive, with a lot of the lower ones seeming to be a bunch of windowlickers who can't into airbrushes. The fact there's more than a couple of low reviews, though, worries me more than a little bit. I know I'm not getting super top-of-the-line equipment here, and I'm fine with that, but I just want to make sure I'm not getting something that'll break on me the first couple of times I use it through no fault of my own.

Also, if I do pull the trigger, so to speak, what's the best primer to use? Should I just stick with the Krylon rattlecans and use the airbrush for actual painting, or is there a primer that will actually do what's supposed to do through an airbrush? Not only that, but I also found a supplier of Vallejo Model Air in my area (literally the only place in the 5 counties near me that does, :wtc:). Does that stuff need to be thinned any more out of the bottle, or should it be good to just drop right into the cup and go?

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Chill la Chill posted:

I use liquitex gloss and dullcote for matte afterwards. Re: spraying liquitex through airbrush: what PSI and should I bother? If it's too much trouble I'll just keep brushing it on.

I use 25 PSI with the biggest needle on my Talon. Works fine.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have the spacehulk genestealers and want to try a trick to speeding up painting. Basically I want to paint the majority black with very subtle edge highlighting to simulate darkness with flashlight style areas very brightly lit. My painting is pretty good but not exceptional.

A: do y'all think that would work?

B: I don't like the traditional pink for stealers, does anyone know of a good sickly looking pale style for stealers I can ape? I want high contrast.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You could try prime black -> zenith spray with white from direction of light -> wash/ green (or whatever color you want the flashlight to be).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Aniodia posted:

This is more a question for Neurolimal, since he's a self-proclaimed Master shill and also a filthy pleb who I can't PM, so this is gonna poo poo up the thread instead of inboxes. I found this airbrush and compressor kit on Amazon, and it definitely looks like what I'd need to do what I want to do. To be honest, I just want to hear something along the lines of "it's not total poo poo" before dropping $80 on it.

I mean, the reviews are mostly positive, with a lot of the lower ones seeming to be a bunch of windowlickers who can't into airbrushes. The fact there's more than a couple of low reviews, though, worries me more than a little bit. I know I'm not getting super top-of-the-line equipment here, and I'm fine with that, but I just want to make sure I'm not getting something that'll break on me the first couple of times I use it through no fault of my own.

That's the one I bought; if I were to be critical of it I'd say the chamber where the paint is poured into can be annoying to 100% clean, but nothing horrible you have cotton swabs.

As I've mentioned before the build of the brush is SUPER simple which makes it fairly durable in its own right. I haven't had to return mine so I'd look into the reviews for their return policy.

I've put lacquers, enamels, acrylics, and Future through it just fine. It wont be amazing for super finepoint details, but that has the benefit of a needle that wont bend if you look at it funny. My only warning is to thoroughly thin any Model Master paints you put through it; if the gunk gets in there it will be a nightmare to deep clean.

The compressor itself is great and has lasted for quite a while, especially considering I've accidentally left it running overnight more than a fee times. The tank is small, but outside of vibrations (which you can mitigate with a carpet or just keeping it off the floor) it's not very loud. If you are unsure about the airbrush I believe you can buy them separately for slightly more; that way if the airbrush fails you can return it and just get another airbrush to go with the compressor.

quote:

Also, if I do pull the trigger, so to speak, what's the best primer to use? Should I just stick with the Krylon rattlecans and use the airbrush for actual painting, or is there a primer that will actually do what's supposed to do through an airbrush? Not only that, but I also found a supplier of Vallejo Model Air in my area (literally the only place in the 5 counties near me that does, :wtc:). Does that stuff need to be thinned any more out of the bottle, or should it be good to just drop right into the cup and go?

I believe this thread has said good things about Stynlrez acrylic primer:

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-SNR-410-Stynylrez-Polyurethane/dp/B00K3KGUME

But keep in mind that enamel and lacquer paints will eat acrylic (if you're not planning on working on many vehicles you're unlikely to encounter either, though).

Vallejo Model Air shouldn't need to be thinned, but if you need to then you will want to do so with Vallejo's thinner or a future-water mix. Don't thin with water alone with airbrushing, because that will cause significant pooling and sagging.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You could try prime black -> zenith spray with white from direction of light -> wash/ green (or whatever color you want the flashlight to be).

Nah I'm a tryhard. I'll do it by hand.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So it's about as idiot-proof as you can get, gotcha. I don't plan on using much of Testor's anything, let alone paints, but appreciate the heads up. At best, it might get some P3 paint (properly thinned, ofc) through it, and that's probably the heaviest I'll go there. Good call on the separate airbrush, though, I'll look for it on Amazon and see what the return policy is if it shits the bed on me.

quote:

more :words:
I almost want to not use the Badger stuff, if only for the completely asinine name, but if it works, it works. :v: I already have a Future/water mix, I think it was 1:5? Something like that, and it hasn't failed me yet with handbrushing stuff, so I don't think airbrushing will really give me too much more of a hassle. As mentioned above, I don't really plan on enamels or lacquers either.

Thanks for the advice, though. Once my paycheck hits tomorrow, I'll put the order in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Nah I'm a tryhard. I'll do it by hand.

I'd still do a zenithal-style base coat, it's how I started this guy;

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Been playing with OSL. My brushwork is messy as hell, but it turned out okay.

The lovely phone photos actually make it look better than it does in person, though it has fully desaturated the dark blue I used to highlight the shadowed areas.