Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wait a minute. None of this advice is showing him how to be a better combat leader by improving his marathon time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Speaking of heart, I remember hearing about an Army Reservist who had a heart attack during PT and the LOD ruled that it wasn't in the line of duty and therefore he was on the hook for a bunch of medical bills.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

My soldier's grandmother/adoptive mother just got out of surgery today and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I told my PSG about this on Sunday to be ready for a Red Cross message and a leave form. He didn't respond to my voicemail or txt message. Reminded him about the surgery today and just got a "So?"

So he got the word that she has terminal cancer, has weeks to a few months to live, and we get the Red Cross pushed out, I did a leave form for emergency leave, and all the TRIPs bullshit. Hand it over to him and he throws out the leave form. Because she's his grandmother and not his mother, it's not emergency leave.... Even if she did raise him. I had to explain to him that she adopted him at birth and I was told I had to bring in adoption paperwork to prove it. So now I got my Soldier who should have been on his way home already with his wife and kids searching for adoption papers or whatever because this platoon sergeant and PL was too pussy poo poo to tell the 1SG and the CO the situation. Now the PSG is holding onto the leave form for my soldier because he doesn't want him signing out at midnight and driving home because it's too dangerous and has to start his leave tomorrow morning at 0600....

gently caress the Army and all the human being rear end SNCOs and officers.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kaliber posted:

My soldier's grandmother/adoptive mother just got out of surgery today and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I told my PSG about this on Sunday to be ready for a Red Cross message and a leave form. He didn't respond to my voicemail or txt message. Reminded him about the surgery today and just got a "So?"

So he got the word that she has terminal cancer, has weeks to a few months to live, and we get the Red Cross pushed out, I did a leave form for emergency leave, and all the TRIPs bullshit. Hand it over to him and he throws out the leave form. Because she's his grandmother and not his mother, it's not emergency leave.... Even if she did raise him. I had to explain to him that she adopted him at birth and I was told I had to bring in adoption paperwork to prove it. So now I got my Soldier who should have been on his way home already with his wife and kids searching for adoption papers or whatever because this platoon sergeant and PL was too pussy poo poo to tell the 1SG and the CO the situation. Now the PSG is holding onto the leave form for my soldier because he doesn't want him signing out at midnight and driving home because it's too dangerous and has to start his leave tomorrow morning at 0600....

poo poo on his desk.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

Just pass the word to the Soldier/family to call their congressman RIGHT NOW. This will do a few good things. Everyone from the Division Commander on down will be made aware of the situation. And when they find out about what this PS/PL did they will fire a sabot into their chests.

And the Soldier will be on leave to go see his grandmother very quickly and nobody will give him trouble.

*edit* I don't "normally" recommend this option. I would normally say you should use the CO's open door policy, but you're on a short fuse here. Holy cow it will make stuff happen IMMEDIATELY.

**edit** Also, this goes without saying, but keep your mouth shut about you being the one to tell them to call the congressperson.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 1, 2017

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I already told him to take off and I'm signed him out as soon as I released the guys for the day. But I'll give him a heads up about the congressman route as soon as he calms down a bit. Or I'll have him call my LT's mom who's a congresswoman.....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

I already told him to take off and I'm signed him out as soon as I released the guys for the day. But I'll give him a heads up about the congressman route as soon as he calms down a bit. Or I'll have him call my LT's mom who's a congresswoman.....

At this point it would be best if someone (a really hardass aunt or something) just made a complaint about the situation to their congressman. An investigation will be initiated and the failures will get hung.

It will also remind everyone in the CoC that this stuff is very important and you might just save a future Soldier some hassle.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Hang all nobles and loving sncos Jesus loving Christ, gently caress the army forever and ever. I'm especially bitter about not being able to go on emergency leave from Afghanistan because my grandma was dying. I was told "it's not important because she's not immediate family". I hope my entire chain of command loving dies.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am bitter that my legit attempts to keep my soldiers happy and healthy was undercut by stupid leadership that was more focused on sucking the next rank's dick than making sure their dudes didn't want to suck start a pistol.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

gently caress the army, kids.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I want to see that man destroyed

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What's his pt score

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Woof Blitzer posted:

I want to see that man destroyed

I'm fairly :okpos: right now and if Kaliber can PM the name of the dude's congressman and some unit info I wouldn't mind calling and complaining.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

What's his pt score

Good question. :colbert:

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm fairly :okpos: right now and if Kaliber can PM the name of the dude's congressman and some unit info I wouldn't mind calling and complaining.

It's really best if it's a family member who can do it. Upset constituents have the most power.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Break into the regulation concerning leave and passes. Nowhere does it say you have to have an adoption record.

Soldiers need to remind commanders two things. One, leave is an earned right not a privilege. And unless that soldier is needed for a mission (NOT mission readiness) the commander can't really do poo poo. Two, don't let people like this bully you. Use the open door policy because it was put in place for these loving reasons.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
his adopted mother should be listed on his SF86 too if thats more readily available to play these loving games

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
My last unit had people fill out loco parentis statements or something like that, so they could prove who raised someone if they got a Red Cross message.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

My last unit had people fill out loco parentis statements or something like that, so they could prove who raised someone if they got a Red Cross message.

I'm wondering how this is even a thing platoon leadership could cover up. Any death of a blood relative (or adopted, whatever) was battalion commander wakeup criteria when I was at that level. And it was all handled at the BN level too. Company commander can get f'ed if they didn't like it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
In my case should I have been allowed emergency leave for my grandma? Or do they only really count parents and siblings?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

At a purely human level, what would make someone do that?

Like, does that PSG just not have any shame at all?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

As hosed up as my last command was, they would have let me see my grandma.

This NEEDS to be brought up to higher ASAP if you aren't afraid of retribution which always happens regardless of the "zero policy."

This is toxic leadership and left to fester, will spoil the flower. Troops should never have to deal with this poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

Mission readiness. It is always about staying above a certain deployment readiness.

No other reason.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If it's really such a huge deal that a guy can't get three days off (which probably overlap with a weekend anyway) something in that unit is wrong. What a loving absurd situation, even if it was a childhood best friend dying you should be able to go to them if the family deemed it important enough to send a red cross message.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Justin Tyme posted:

Stanford Prison Army Experiment.

More specifically, leaders are actively encouraged to separate themselves on an interpersonal level to the extent that they probably no longer have empathy.

This is why when someone talks about good NCOs in the Army, it typically refers to a person that maintained some measure of empathy with his subordinates and acted upon it fairly. This is a hard thing to teach, and harder to enact, so it is not something they can easily rate.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Stanford Prison Army Experiment.

More specifically, leaders are actively encouraged to separate themselves on an interpersonal level to the extent that they probably no longer have empathy.

This is why when someone talks about good NCOs in the Army, it typically refers to a person that maintained some measure of empathy with his subordinates and acted upon it fairly. This is a hard thing to teach, and harder to enact, so it is not something they can easily rate.

I always always always felt the best leaders I had were the ones I didn't want to upset not because I didn't want to get in trouble but because I didn't want to let them down for being so good to us.

Seems like this is a common sentiment shared over many years, yet somehow the Army doesn't embrace it as a form of leadership. According to the Army, "taking care of your guys" means knowing the number to suicide hotlines and making sure everyone's vehicles get inspected every weekend, and not cutting dudes who had weekend CQ loose at lunch or treating people as professional peers and not warm bodies.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

If it's really such a huge deal that a guy can't get three days off (which probably overlap with a weekend anyway) something in that unit is wrong. What a loving absurd situation, even if it was a childhood best friend dying you should be able to go to them if the family deemed it important enough to send a red cross message.

You mentioning friends dying made me remember that same chain of command wouldn't let me have the day off to go to the funeral of a mentor of mine when I was in sea scouts as a kid. Dude was a ww2 navy vet who saw Guadalcanal, the Leyte Gulf, and all sorts of poo poo. CO wouldn't let me have one loving day off of work to go to his funeral a half hour drive away. I loving sat around in our training bay doing nothing that whole day. Gooddddddd I loving hate the army. gently caress everyone in it. Get hosed, CPT shithead.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mike-o posted:

You mentioning friends dying made me remember that same chain of command wouldn't let me have the day off to go to the funeral of a mentor of mine when I was in sea scouts as a kid. Dude was a ww2 navy vet who saw Guadalcanal, the Leyte Gulf, and all sorts of poo poo. CO wouldn't let me have one loving day off of work to go to his funeral a half hour drive away. I loving sat around in our training bay doing nothing that whole day. Gooddddddd I loving hate the army. gently caress everyone in it. Get hosed, CPT shithead.

it might be for the best for us all to just leave this forum and never come back

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mike-o, my brother got emergency leave from Iraq in late 2008 after my grandfather died. He didn't make it home in time for the funeral, though.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

it might be for the best for us all to just leave this forum and never come back

Honestly I've just been trying to read less of the forums and this thread lately......but it's like I'm an alcoholic but replace alcohol with memories of the army. I miss my buddies, I miss being loving awesome at my job, even when that meant my job was to kill people. Firefights were an addictive adrenaline rush, and knowing that all the guys I fought with I'll never have someone closer in my life. But everything else I hosed hated. And I can't not keep those experiences out of my life as part of what defines me as a person. I've tried to curb even talking about my army days in my life but I can't completely stop it. The army loving ruined me in a way that I'll never be whole again.

Edit: I wouldn't want to leave here because I like talking with you dudes being that you're some of the only people around that even understand what it feels like.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

Mike-o, my brother got emergency leave from Iraq in late 2008 after my grandfather died. He didn't make it home in time for the funeral, though.

Would have been nice even being able to go home for her funeral, she died like a day after my mom called me to let me know.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

gently caress the queen.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mike-o posted:

Edit: I wouldn't want to leave here because I like talking with you dudes being that you're some of the only people around that even understand what it feels like.

This thread helps remind me that even though the Army kinda sucks, some of the people in it are cool and good and worth being a not-poo poo NCO for.

You goons help me get through the day.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My grandpa died while I was in Basic. Found out on a Sunday morning phone call that he only had a couple days to live. I told my DS, and she gave me the rundown on Red Cross messages. They received it about an hour later, and a couple DS' from another platoon tracked me down to get the details.

They asked me if he was in loco parentis. I said no, but he was like a father to me. They asked me where I felt I needed to be, at BCT or with my family. I said with my family. They nodded and left.

A couple hours later I was on a plane home. He held on longer than expected, so I got to stay the entire week. Coincidentally, it was the one week of BCT with no mandatory graduation requirements. Thanks grandpa!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what are swiets

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh SWEETS jfc America the Beautiful

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Goddamn can't even spell "went" right. I want to call bullshit but at the same time I feel like it's real.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

Goddamn can't even spell "went" right. I want to call bullshit but at the same time I feel like it's real.

The fact that we have to wonder speaks for itself :smith:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There's the end result of that ASVAB waiver right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I've always thought that it's for the better that those soldiers are in the army. There are always enough tasks and jobs for special troopers, this way they'll get bennies and paycheck.