Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Aranan posted:

Also, I looked up MoM on PocketCasts and it seems like there are a ton of different podcasts under the MoM umbrella. That'll keep me busy for a while.

Most of the MOM podcasts are hard to listen to either because of audio quality or host quality, but I'd recommend the main one (it's just called MoM's Podcast), Combo Smite, and maybe TDH60M or Fully Boosted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Aranan posted:

Huh... why is Caine a mercenary now? I always thought he was one of the cooler Cygnar guys (along with Nemo).

Also, I looked up MoM on PocketCasts and it seems like there are a ton of different podcasts under the MoM umbrella. That'll keep me busy for a while.

What's wrong with Cryx, currently? It's always been a toss-up between them and Legion for me.

Technically he's a Merc that has Partisan: Cygnar in his third incarnation, so can be run as a Cygnar caster if one wants.

The story is basically that during the event of Blood of Kings (novel, decent for a game tie-in), he had a falling out with Cygnar's spymaster, who oversaw him. He's not anti-Cygnar, just disgusted with the spymaster and wanted to check out for a while and do his thing.

Banes got hit hard, the most noticeable thing being loss of stealth. Without stealth, they get shot off the board really easily. I've had some success running a unit in a Gaspy3 list with Raiders and having the Raiders jam up enough for the Banes to come in and apply weapon master attacks, but in general Banes are hard to justify if at all.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Aranan posted:

What's wrong with Cryx, currently? It's always been a toss-up between them and Legion for me.

We lost a lot of our teeth with banes, mechanithrall recursion, spellslave, and in general changes to mk3. Theres still some guys out there winning large events with them but most players jumped ship early in mk3. The theme and some of the changes we have gotten (and other factions have gotten) have made us a lot more viable in the past few months, and I predict we will be seeing more players coming back over when the CID launches and as con season winds down.

Right now Cryx list building is pretty samey across the faction. Im exaggerating but lists are like jack, node, node, 2x raiders and some support. A LOT of the faction feels like deadweight to bring, even with support.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mp5 posted:

Chain Attack also isn't doing very many Battle Reports right now.

We're no Chain Attack, but we have a bunch of Battle Reports coming down the pipe. We released one a couple weeks ago, finished editing another this Sunday, recorded post commentary on a third today, and are recording commentary on a fourth Thursday. Hopefully we'll record another couple games this Wednesday and get a stash built up so we can do weekly releases.

MK3 Battle Reports: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFFx-exYActcPYbDzTAuDWtPEwH1H04XF

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Cross-postin' from the oath thread.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Podcast talk. Moose machine is pretty legit. Lots of special guests, good length, Canadian.

Ozmachine was the loving poo poo until they all left warmachine due to burn-out at WTC

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I've battled the moosemachine guys they are p dece

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

lokipunk posted:

We lost a lot of our teeth with banes, mechanithrall recursion, spellslave, and in general changes to mk3. Theres still some guys out there winning large events with them but most players jumped ship early in mk3. The theme and some of the changes we have gotten (and other factions have gotten) have made us a lot more viable in the past few months, and I predict we will be seeing more players coming back over when the CID launches and as con season winds down.

Right now Cryx list building is pretty samey across the faction. Im exaggerating but lists are like jack, node, node, 2x raiders and some support. A LOT of the faction feels like deadweight to bring, even with support.

I quit cryx in mk2 because I thought list building was too samey. That seems to be a problem with them.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
That's pretty much how I feel about legion.

A lot of stuff I loved got strictly worse or way more expensiv. Also feels like there is a few very strong pieces surrounded by a whole lot of poo poo so those few strong just repeat with the warlock and some random bits being interchangeable.

Like, playing all beasts got worse but most of my infantry is really unappealing. I liked hex hunters but they got worse from MK2 -> MK3 and direct point cost overlap with other units.

Hoping that the living documents keep seeing a lot of positive changes like recent updates and the Skorne rebuild.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

albany academy posted:

Cryx has like 2-3 "good" lists based around a relatively small group of models and casters.

Also a lot of people had invested in banes before mk3, and they got nerfed into the ground in the transition. The recent errata returned a bit of utility, but they're poor choices considering how ubiquitous ranged attacks are now. They're also by and large way too expensive for what they offer - full BDIFP + UA is 21pts, and bane warriors + UA is 23.

Sooort of? Bane Thralls (warriors now) weren't taken in a lot of lists outside of Gaspy 2. Bane Knights got taken all over the place and are still awesome beaters for their points costs. But gently caress buying them at their current $$ value because you still would want to use 2-3 units if you were going to take them.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
Chain attack is hilarious and the opposite of toxic.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
If you can deal with the audio issues that sometimes pop up, I heartily recommend Dark Guidance. It fills the competitive-aussie shaped hole in my heart left by Ozmachine. Also Moot Point. Both are aimed at the more competitively minded crowds though.

As far as Cryx is concerned, I really don't think it's that bad. Ghost Fleet is legit af, Witch Coven is dope, Scaverous murders casters, Mortenebra2 seems like she will be real good too. All of those are completely different lists.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think Cryx is harmed the most by the too-easy to to get infantry removal that almost every faction is packing right now. They have fragile jacks that anti-infantry guns can reasonably hurt, a lack of caster-neutral threat extenders, few guns and little defensive tech. They still like to have a lot of infantry but the total percentage of their lists that is even allowed to be infantry is lower on top of anti-infantry options being generally better.

But even so, they've got some pretty good stuff. It's just a shallow bench right now.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I like Chain Attack and the core Muse on Minis podcast a lot myself. They're all good guys and that's important to me and between them they encompass a pretty wide range of player-skill. Chain Attack for instance has an extremely strong multiple-tournament winning player (Jay), an experienced tournament player (Trevor), and a less experienced more for-fun player (Josh). It's a good balance. The Muse network has a wide range of podcasts that cover the spectrum so you should be able to find something you like in there. Personally I would particularly recommend Moot Point, put on by some of the Nordic guys. They're strong players and it gives great insight into the European meta which is very different from the North American one.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I miss Scott Wray...

Don't get me wrong, Cryx is in a much better place than facebook randoes will tell you. I think courageofcaspia put it pretty well that "Cryx are somewhat rigid and their powerful builds are limited both in terms of caster and unit/warjack choices." Denny1 is still amazing. Denny3 is really good if you can dodge guns. Coven answers guns for a turn. Shade3 still has a gross assassination game. Scaverous has really fun control elements. Skarre2 is superfun with kraken and slingers. Gaspy1 didn't really change at all. Gaspy3, Venethrax, and Shade1 all run pretty great bricks. The rest of our stable is all still missing something or good lists haven't been found yet.

I really liked Bane Thralls in Shade2's old theme.

I also really like Lost Aspect, but mostly because it's silly background noise.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

w00tmonger posted:

Ozmachine was the loving poo poo until they all left warmachine due to burn-out at WTC

It was good but they didn't have a lot of time for casual gamers as the three hosts were all high level tournament players.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Gotta throw in some love for the Beermachine podcasts. Rich and JP are great guys and playing games against them is exactly as it sounds on the podcast. Plus they talk about beer.

I like painting with Menoth John too, but he is a bit more hit and miss.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Cryx is honestly in a really lovely place. Our jacks are glass but lack the punch to be "glass cannons". We have one unit of infantry worth taking: raiders. The rest of our infantry are far to easy to remove from a distance.

Bane warriors are crazy overpriced for 12/15 spd 5. They are also mat 6 so if they get jammed by anything with decent def they're also hosed. They do have ghostly to just walk away but speed 5 again doesn't let them get far if they have to go around other models. The UA is way to expensive and gives a mini feat that's counter productive to how you want to use the unit.

Bane knights aren't too bad, but still are removed easy by shooting, they are pretty safe from blasts. They could be fine as is, if made slightly cheaper.

Mcthralls don't have a propose. Easy to kill, don't hit very hard, really costly for the full boat when they should be the cheapest thing around. Recursion that's easy to outpace and worse then it was. Shield guard on brutes is alright but requires you to bring the normal thralls. Ad with the commander so they can be shot off the board a turn sooner and be too far away from the surgeon.

Bile thralls have the same problems but just don't have as many targets are they used to.

Birds just don't hit hard enough even with cma and finisher. They die to blasts super easy. These guys could use a built in recursion buff of some kind.

Blood witches are decent but are anti infantry which can make them hard to find a place.

Our combat solos are all way over priced. I'm not sure why slaughterborn is so pricey when maxwells Finn is way way better and cheaper. Tartarus costs 8 pts because??
Pistol Wraiths are 5pts of 1 time use.

I'm not going to keep going but cryx really needs a redesign too. This may be true of a couple other factions too, but the thing I know for sure is I no longer enjoy playing the faction I've put tons of money and time into. I've played one game as pigs now and it was extremely fun, I want that feeling back in cryx :(

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Combat solos in every faction are over priced. It was a problem in mark 2 too, "but they're anti infantry" describes 80% of circle. The beasts struggle to one round khador jacks half their cost. It feels like every faction was updated in a vacuum. They said they did skorne first so they didn't take into account where things were going. Were circle and cryx two and three? Because infantry being diminished hurts both in different ways.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
In that case, which of the factions have a really strong, viable option of going warjack or warbeast heavy? I know Cryx was one of the more infantry-heavy factions in the past and I was kind of hoping the new rules would have switched that up, but maybe not. If I was mostly interested in having a 'caster or 'lock with a swanky battlegroup killing dudes, what's a good choice?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Most factions usually have at least one person that rolls with just a battle group. CoC is probably the faction where everyone wants a large battlegroup.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Do you want to play "real" games at 50/75 pts or do you just want the awesomest battle group to screw around with and just make everyone else play battlegroup only games with you?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
real men do 300 points mangled metal 18 pieces of terrain 7 minute timed turns

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Jimmy Hats posted:

Actually sounds kind of fun, even if it becomes Speed Battletech.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

There's always the everfun Ret lists of Triple Colossals Because gently caress You (and in theme, too, so you can get the Arcanist Mechaniks as well). You can go off and play Warmachine, I'll be playing Pacific Rim.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Aniodia posted:

There's always the everfun Ret lists of Triple Colossals Because gently caress You (and in theme, too, so you can get the Arcanist Mechaniks as well). You can go off and play Warmachine, I'll be playing Pacific Rim.

I played against that last with another stupid gimmick list. I got stomped but even then, against an actual list, I would not really want to go up against the Pacific Rim Job list.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Jimmy Hats posted:

I really want to run something like this but it seems like a huge gently caress you to our hordes-only players :(

Butt Beholder
Jun 24, 2006

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Majkol posted:

If you can deal with the audio issues that sometimes pop up, I heartily recommend Dark Guidance. It fills the competitive-aussie shaped hole in my heart left by Ozmachine. Also Moot Point. Both are aimed at the more competitively minded crowds though.

As far as Cryx is concerned, I really don't think it's that bad. Ghost Fleet is legit af, Witch Coven is dope, Scaverous murders casters, Mortenebra2 seems like she will be real good too. All of those are completely different lists.

Denny 1 Coven and skarre , satyxis raiders, kraken barathum, stalkers, ghost fleet. Hope you like those things cause thats cryx. Morty2 is way too early to say. She has an okay feat and a garbage field marshall, thats all we know.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh my god, Gargossal wrestling can't arrive soon enough :allears:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Saalkin posted:

Cryx is honestly in a really lovely place. Our jacks are glass but lack the punch to be "glass cannons". We have one unit of infantry worth taking: raiders. The rest of our infantry are far to easy to remove from a distance.

Bane warriors are crazy overpriced for 12/15 spd 5. They are also mat 6 so if they get jammed by anything with decent def they're also hosed. They do have ghostly to just walk away but speed 5 again doesn't let them get far if they have to go around other models. The UA is way to expensive and gives a mini feat that's counter productive to how you want to use the unit.

You are using ghostly wrong. It isn't used to disengage jamming models. It's too walk into their back arcs without worrying about free strikes and hit them at effective Mat 8(better chance to hit than most elite infantry). Or to just walk past them into whatever they are screening.

Cryx are in an odd spot and below the curve for most things but Banes are not bad. They aren't great but they are on par for 90% of single wound infantry in the game.

Seriously though, Satyxis raiders are amazing and comparing them to Banes isn't really fair. Most factions have a standout unit or two that make the rest of their choices obsolete.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Saalkin posted:

... I no longer enjoy playing the faction I've put tons of money and time into. I've played one game as pigs now and it was extremely fun, I want that feeling back in cryx :(

This this this this. I bought into Circle and a few games with Wurmwood and I am floored at how much more involved and fun games are with a relevant faction, even post circle nerfs he is still amazing. Not to mention all three Kayas and Kromac and Kreuger and even the mediocre casters like Moshar, Morvahna and Brodigus getting table time with themes.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 2, 2017

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Last night I played against Rahn with double punch wizards, Tractor colossal, and double arc nodes. With Discordia as the only thing in there that wasn't a pure control piece.

I had PTSD flashbacks to pre-nerf MK2 Haley 2. His entire list was built around protecting his colossal from anything getting into it, and holy hell it worked well. My poor bronzeback got pushed/pulled/placed 20 times in one round because he was fishing for a knockdown crit.

I ended up winning simply because I put him on tilt with an Archidon in Rahn's butt, and he messed up his positioning so Zaadesh2 could assassinate, but he had me dead to rights and if he stayed focused, he'd have had me easy.

Half of my turn was figuring out how I could recover from his control, rather than what I could punch. I really feel like engaging the punchbros should stop them from casting, as-is I felt like I didn't have any counterplay available to me.

As an aside: If Gargantuans can wrestle, will they give the Hydra the Serpentine rule so it can't trample or be KD? And what are the odds that the wrestling rules are better than just, y'know, punching the other thing to death...

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I would guess the wrestling moves will be what actually scores you scenario points or does damage to the opponent.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I put my dwarves on the table for the first time. I hadn't played against sorsha in over a year so I didn't think about how I'd blow up when I moved forward to feat.
Holy crap landslide is amazing!

A lot of it was the enemy army but I didn't feel hamstrung by my slow rear end battle group. He couldn't really deal with it at range.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The wrestling moves are the only moves. It uses warmachine models but not warmachine rules. ECW is a different ruleset using action points, apparently some kind of bidding system where you bid away action points each turn for initiative? The discussion about it on primecast is about all that's been said and it was vague.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This is going to be a great big effort post because I'm trying to get a good idea of who I want to buy into. I appreciate all the help I've gotten so far and hope with just a little more feedback, I can be comfortable enough to snag a starter box and some extra models soon.

I was thinking of listing the stuff I think looks cool, and maybe some more practiced folks could let me know if they're good on the table, or if I'm falling into a "looks cool but plays like crap" trap. I want to be able to field a variety of lists with at least a decent focus on either warjacks or warbeasts--they're what catches my attention in this game, so I'd like them to be a decent chunk of what I do when I play.

Cygnar - I dig most of their warcasters, but especially the various versions of Nemo, Haley, and Caine. Ditto for warjacks (favorites here are basically all the character 'jacks, the Stormclad/Reliant) and the colossal. For units, the various flavors of Gun Mages, Stormsmiths, and Trenchers look cool. The rest aren't bad, though. I don't remember liking the look of these guys as much as I apparently do!

Cryx - The various Asphyxious, and Deneghra forms plus Venethrax and Coven. For 'jacks, it's literally all the character jacks, the little Deathripper variants, Crabjacks, and Slayer are my faves. Bane Knights and Warriors look cool, but I already know they've been hurt pretty badly. Pretty "meh" on the rest of their infantry.

Khador - I dig all of the warcasters aside from Vlad "Look at my shoulders" Tzepesci. Ditto for the warjacks--they all look spiffy, but I especially like Berserker, Kodiak, and Mad Dog. The infantry, though... I'm not feeling most of it. Doom Reavers are neat, but Winter Guard (which I seem to remember Khador was mostly spamming) just don't do it for me.

Trollbloods - The Borkas, Grissels, Hoarluks, Jarl Skuld, and Madraks look neat. I like a lot of the warbeasts, but really love the Dire Troll Bomber/Mauler and Mulg. Their units are also a lot cooler than I remember, and I don't actually dislike any of them. Hm...

Minions - This is pretty binary--love all the gators, but don't care for the pigs. The Blindwater casters, beasts, and units are super cool. I can probably content myself with taking Wrong Eye & Snapjaw in factions that allow it. I've heard that Farrow are pretty strong now compared to gators.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

If I had to buy in again I would go all in on Cygnar. They are PP's golden child forever. Even when storm division gets toned down they will still be top of the heap.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Doom reavers are not so hot right now. Also the Beserker and Mad Dog are bad. Winter Guard Rifle Corps (with rockets) will be in most lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

lokipunk posted:

If I had to buy in again I would go all in on Cygnar. They are PP's golden child forever. Even when storm division gets toned down they will still be top of the heap.

Tone down Storm Lances a bit and Storm Division is fine, they are 99% of the problem. The golden child thing is a bit over the top though considering Cygnar has received mainly nerfs (deservedly so in most cases) since Mk3 dropped.