Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Camel Pimp posted:

God, the whole "Oh no Takumi's been possessed- oh wait he's fine two seconds later" is so clunky and badly done. It gives the impression of "why is this even here?" Yes I'm aware it's foreshadowing, but it's not done any better then, either.

It was kind of well done if you are talking about what I think you are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

They really picked the perfect map to show Takumi off. He gets to fly over the forests and one shots those pesky ninja's who keep pelting you when you can't fight back. It just makes Takumi look real good.

Oh, and he's also my favourite Hoshidan royal but that's because the others don't really jump out to me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My favorite Hoshidan royal is Hinoka, but I have mentioned I am heavily biased in favor of fliers, Peg. Knights in particular. Takumi would be a close second, I guess. Mostly because I find Sakura to be dead boring and Ryoma... I don't like him either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Takumi's basically a flier while he has the Fujin Yumi! :eng101:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ChaosArgate posted:

Takumi's basically a flier while he has the Fujin Yumi! :eng101:

A 5 Movement flier.

Also yeah, love him or hate him, Takumi is really the most complex royal. The other three just end up either being kind of one-note (Sakura, Ryoma) or... really forgettable (Hinoka).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh god this is making me want to finish my conquest run.

But the EXP grinding map scales with level and has aggressive enemies.

WHY INTSYS WHY?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

takumi is the only three dimensional character in fire emblem fates

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Yeah. Don't ever do that again, OK?
Whoa, guys! Stop crying. You're making me all embarrassed.
I don't care. We didn't know if we'd ever see you again. And then when you showed up all weird like that...
Yeah. We didn't know if you'd ever be the same Takumi we know and love again.
Well, it's definitely me guys. Thank you for your concern. And I'm sorry I made you all worried.

It wasn't looking good for us for a while there...
Lord Takumi! Now that you're back, we'll never let anything happen to you again!
It's good to have you back, Takumi.
But as much as I would like to savor this moment. Ryoma is still missing. Can you tell us anything about what happened to you two?
Yeah. It was insane. We ran into Nohrian troops just outside Izumo and began fighting. Ryoma and I were separated in the early stages of combat, before we had to retreat. We were outnumbered...and pushed to the brink of the Bottomless Canyon.
So we still have no idea where he is...
No, I'm afraid not. Something triggered a massive landslide, and I was caught up in it. That's how I fell into the canyon.

"Did you also have a magical transforming dragon that took you to an alternate dimension?!" "The what now"

I've never heard of anyone returning from there before.
I...I have no idea. All I remember is falling. There was a period of darkness, and then I woke up here.
Well, I'm just glad to have you back. It's a miracle you survived a fall like that!
So, um, can anyone tell me how I ended up here? Or what, exactly, I was doing before I woke up just no?
It's best you don't worry about it for now. Just get some rest.
No, I need to know. My Fujin Yumi was in my hand when I came to. And some of you have wounds in your backs...
Well...

Takumi...you must have been under some sort of spell. You stumbled out of the woods and started attacking our party. Please, try not to worry about it. We know it wasn't really you.
Oh, what have I done? A prince attacking his own men? How can I show my face in Hoshido again?
Please! Someone...or something...was controlling you. We know you were not in your right mind.
That's small comfort right now, I'm afraid.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but all that matters now is that we're all here.
Will you join us in the search for Ryoma? Perhaps something along the way will jog your memory. Can we count on you?

Of course. We must move forward—not dwell on the past.
Thank you, Corrin. I also need to thank you...Sister.
Oh! You called me—
I mean...you're quite welcome, Takumi.
Ahem... *cough* *cough*
Is everything OK, Azura? You don't look well.
I'm fine. I think I'm just a bit tired. Please, don't worry about me. I'll be better in no time.
If you say so.

*Later, the group is in a cave*

Our forces rescued Kagero from an underground prison nearby.
Welcome back, Kagero.

Welcome back! Are you all right?
Do you know what happened to Ryoma?
Yes. But I'm afraid—
No! Ryoma could not have fallen to the Nohr army. It isn't possible!
No! Brother... *sob* *sob*
I can't believe he's gone...
We will build a monument to his glory when we return home...
Please, if you would allow me to continue.

But? You said you were afraid of something.
S I was going to say I'm afraid I don't know exactly where he is. After being separated from Lord Takumi, Lord Ryoma met with a Hoshidan scout. The scout informed him of a new civil strife in Nohr. Ryoma departed at once in the direction of Cheve.
Cheve...so he's on his way to Nohr right now!
I can only assume so. I was given the order to return to Hoshido and report this information... But I was careless while traveling through Mokushu and ended up being caught.
I must apologize to everyone for such shameful conduct.
It's OK. We're just glad to see you alive. And knowing that Ryoma is still out there is valuable information to have.

Corrin, this may mean returning all the way to Nohr. Are you ready to do that?
Yes, of course.
If we travel by sea, it will be faster. We should head to the nearest port town. And even though Kotaro is defeated we should take care. There will surely be other ninja who share his ambition, lying in wait...
Yes, that sounds wise. I've also dispatched another ally back to Hoshido. He will warn everyone to avoid this area for the time being. I expect he'll reach Hoshido and inform Yukimura within half a day or so.
Lord Corrin, would you permit me to join you? I feel I must make up for my previous shortcomings.
You owe nothing, but we would be more than happy to have you. Everyone—the sooner we find Ryoma, the sooner we can end this war.

Unit Joined

Kagero

Class sets: Starts as Ninja, Diviner
PSkill: Shuriken Mastery-When user receives damage from a Dagger attack, the enemy receives half the same damage and the Dagger’s stat reduction effect

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 70
MAG: 0
SKL: 40
SPD: 70
LCK: 30
DEF: 30
RES: 55

Kagero is the definition of min-max. Screw health, luck, defense, all that dumb stuff. She will hit you hard and fast and die to anything with a light breeze. That PSkill is terrible, you never want her to get hit, let alone hit by a debuff.

Also, Diviner? What the hell?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kagero's secondary is Diviner because Orochi is her best friend (presumably the reason Orochi doesn't get Ninja is because Rinkah and Setsuna already called dibs.)

(Which of course screws her because she doesn't get anything out of getting A-support with her best friend.)

Kagero's a great unit for putting holes in enemies (she can actually hit a 90% Str growth if she somehow gets access to the Fighter line, or more realistically a 85% in most other physical classes). That HP just won't do her any favours though.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Just as important as Kagero is the loot she has on her. Half your units are getting screwed on Strength, and the Sting Shuriken is incredibly powerful even against non-armored units.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Kagero looks to be the first unit you move on your turn. She slides in, takes out a knight or mage, and lets the rest of the team move past her so she doesn't get murdered.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Kagero - As Tae already said, she's pretty much just a pile of Strength and Speed and nothing else. I mean, her Resistance is pretty good, but that's normal for a ninja; everything else is kinda crap. Unfortunately, she's got possibly the worst possible secondary class for her stats, so you can't use that to try to compensate. At least I like her as a character.

On a side note, what does it say about me that I consider the three most attractive women in Fates to be Hinoka, Kagero, and Sakura, in that order?

Anyway, am I the only one who would like Tae to at least off-screen enough challenges to get certain drastically-underlevelled units up to par (first and foremost: Hayato)? Because as long as he's level 1, there's no way we're letting you deploy him.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

CptWedgie posted:

On a side note, what does it say about me that I consider the three most attractive women in Fates to be Hinoka, Kagero, and Sakura, in that order?

Can we cool it with the creepiness while you're cooling it with the wink winking? Also while we're at it I don't think you need to comment on every support conversation, no matter how mundane.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Can we cool it with the creepiness while you're cooling it with the wink winking? Also while we're at it I don't think you need to comment on every support conversation, no matter how mundane.

Hey, I never said anything about who I ship them with, just that I, personally, find them attractive. There's a difference. For example, believe it or not, I find Sully pretty attractive in Awakening, but I have no interest in pairing her with that game's Avatar (I prefer her with Chrom, since she's the only option he's got that I feel would actually work out).

And yes, I'm aware that I should probably at least cut out the conversations which don't actually have anything happening; I'm just being OCD.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Wow, Takumi pulled that stick out of his rear end real quick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Wow, Takumi pulled that stick out of his rear end real quick

Unfortunately, the support writers did not get this memo when it was outsourced.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kagero is usually my go-to ninja. She's an absolute monster. Saizo never worked out well for me for some reason and Kaze is fine as a mage killer but not much else. Kagero, though? Oh yes please.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Oh man I was not aware this was happening.
I personally kinda liked Fates, though contrary to most people here, it seems, I really disliked Conquest, mostly because I'm bad with challenging games and Conquest kind of expects you to pick a team and pour your valuable experience into them, while I like using every single unit. I had to abuse the exp-grinding DLC so that I could brute-force the final maps because, again, I'm bad at games.

I still have fond memories of my first Birthright playthrough, though, where Sakura ended up as a goddamn monster. She capped strength as a level 16 Priestess and she was 5 ahead of her average speed. :allears:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Yeah, I echo the sentiment that Kagero is my go-to ninja. There's a lot of glass cannons in Birthright already, but Kagero kinda stands out by being in the ninja class, which is a pretty good class to be a glass cannon in. Kaze's selling points are speed and res, which are pretty bad selling points in most Fire Emblem games anyway, and is especially bad in Birthright since you're not lacking in either. Saizo, weirdly, is just too slow, at least for a ninja. Which is sad, since he really does have good growths, but mediocre speed on a ninja is not a good thing. (On my ninja-only run of Birthright he was a MONSTER early on, but he fell off towards the end, although he was still in my endgame party. He was also the only one who died. Oops.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Kaguro looks to be the most useful ninja if only because glass cannons that can actually cannon are great. Who cares if they can't take a hit if they never get hit in the first place!?

Tae posted:

Unfortunately, the support writers did not get this memo when it was outsourced.

DANGIT TAKUMI STOP FALLING ON STICKS BUTT FIRST!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Ninjas as a class have really good avoid as far as I remember. Kagero's speed just enhances that, and she basically is a complete rear end-kicker. Cool design and personality too. Great character overall. I hope she doesn't get benched.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FELD1 posted:

Ninjas as a class have really good avoid as far as I remember. Kagero's speed just enhances that, and she basically is a complete rear end-kicker. Cool design and personality too. Great character overall. I hope she doesn't get benched.

The problem is that due to the way avoid and true hit are calculated in this game, you can't dodge-tank in this game like you could with FE 7-10. With a pair up and good avoid, you can gamble on not dying in one hit, but any more than that is inviting disaster.

As somebody who hates how good dodging was in previous Fire Emblem games, this is a pretty welcome change to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A couple new weapons to show off.

Chopsticks-Hidden Weapon, E rank, 1 mt, +10 avoid, 1-2 range, debuff -1 DEF/RES

This is truly a bad weapon, like literally the only point to use it over a Brass Shuriken is that Chopsticks have insanely high hit...but Bronze has only 10 less hit.

Sting Shuriken-Hidden Weapon, D rank, 7 mt, 1-2 range, debuff -3 SKL/DEF/RES, Effective against Armored units

Wow, if you thought magic was useless before, Sting Shuriken takes the nail to the coffin by letting any ninja one-shot armored units. That includes Great Knights, which get pretty common later on in Birthright.

A few more buildings, but they're all fluff or for the multiplayer so I'm skipping those.

So today is Mess Hall time, which basically give buffs for half the team randomly based on the food you give.

The long and short of it is that you get reliable buffs from the initial food, and then random stuff happens to maybe give an extra stat (up to +2 per character). The unfortunate thing is that Peaches are the food that are naturally grown in this run's MyCastle, which give...magic boost.

Hopefully the Conquest run gives better food.

So we have a sea mission now because Fire Emblem has to have sea missions nowadays.

And we made it just in time to catch the last boat leaving the harbor. How lucky!
I know. It's been such a long march—I'm really looking forward to r-resting a bit.
I wouldn't get too comfortable. Remember, we are on our way to Nohr. Some of the passengers on this ship could be our enemies.
Yes, and there could be a spy among us.
What are you talking about, Takumi?

Goddamnit, is he still seriously with us

Whose idea was it to let him tag along?
Gah! I'm no threat, guys! I promise! Haven't I been helpful so far?
Don't worry, Takumi. I've been keeping a very close eye on him.
I don't know. Didn't he set everyone up back in Izumo? I wouldn't be surprised if he were plotting something.
But...but...
OK, I'll get my knife ready...
Eeeek!

Hinoka is getting pretty stabby lately.

Calm down, everyone. I trust Zola, and I believe you should as well.

Oh, well everything is fine then!!

Besides, how could he even realy information to Nohr? It's a preposterous notion.
Sorry. I can't just take your word for it. I don't trust him.
That's fine. A little healthy skepticism won't hurt. Just try to be civil, OK?
I'll do my best.
Lord Takumi...
What's wrong with you? Did I say that you could speak my name?
Gah! No, sir. I'm sorry, sir.

*Time passes*

The captain even says we could reach Nohr tomorrow with favorable winds.
That's great news. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't mind a longer trip. It's so relaxing out here.
N-not for me. I've been feeling a little seasick, to be honest.
But it looks like you've really taken to the sea. You've been out here for hours!
Perhaps when all of this is over, I'll buy my own boat...
Although...it does appear that the weather is turning on us.
Oh! You're right. Those clouds don't look good. And look at the w-waves!
Right. Let's head inside before we get soaked!

*The ship halts instantly*

Ahhhh! We've stopped moving! How is that even possible? Are you OK, Corrin?
Yeah, I'm fine. But we really need to get out of here! Maybe there's a problem with the boat. Let's go speak with the captain.

I don't think so. I'm s-scared, Corrin. My goodness! Look at the sea!
Those waves are massive! This boat is too big to capsize, right? Right?
Stand back! There's something in the water!

*Something bright pops out*

Oh these assholes again.

What is it?
Shh...
Who goes there? Are...are you the spirit who appeared when my mother was killed?

No, it's the other invisible spirit force on the coast of ninja village

Shh...

Corrin! What's going on?
Stay back, Azura!

Milady! Are you OK?
Yes, I'm fine. Thank you, Kaze!
Lord Corrin! What is that thing?
Your guess is as good as mine. A storm came out of nowhere, and then this spirit appeared on deck.
Maybe it came out of the water...

How does no one remember these things, especially Kaze who was not dragon feral during the last meeting

Well, it looks like we have a fight on our hands. Whatever this spirit is, it seems capable of sinking our ship!
We've come too far for that. Everyone, on guard!

A million fliers, with an interesting mix of Wyvern and Sky Knights. I say interesting because those two are usually exclusive to Nohr and Hoshido respectively.

Bench 6 characters, stats HERE

http://www.strawpoll.me/12445310

Subaki and Hayato are no longer vote eligible for leading votes twice in a row.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The poll only allows one vote at the moment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Crap. Uh....this'll be an experiment. Every vote matters.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Tae posted:

Crap. Uh....this'll be an experiment. Every vote matters.

Lol. Well that's one way to do it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've played a good ways into Birthright, but never got around to finishing it. Haven't touched Conquest or Revelations. Looking forward to seeing this, might actually pick this back up again and eventually finish it.

Tae posted:

Fates NOT about fighting!

Third line for this one has the wrong portrait; it should be Rinkah speaking for the "Ewgh. What's that awful stink?" line, not Orochi.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Corrin, you dumb poo poo, kill Zola already

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
This map is probably one of the few that I'd willingly deploy Setsuna, since all the enemies (or at least a majority) are fliers (and thus she gets a MASSIVE boost to attack power due to her usage of bows). Sure, her stats're a bit low, especially defensively, but play it right and that won't be a factor anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kagero's strength capping at 20 is kinda annoying though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

blizzardvizard posted:

Corrin, you dumb poo poo

Fates.txt

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Y'all should stop voting for Setsuna. This is the one map where she's useful.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Corrin, you dumb poo poo, kill Zola already
Hey, he's got a free meat shield that doesn't cost a deployment slot. Corrin's just using his resources wisely.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Honestly Archers are so good in this game there's no harm in deploying more than one. Bows are brutal. Plus Setsuna's the best, anyway. Victory, victory~

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Rogue 7 posted:

Y'all should stop voting for Setsuna. This is the one map where she's useful.

Unfortunately alot of people lurking this thread have bad taste, bad opinion and bad breath

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...Okay, I can understand Setsuna since she's underlevelled (even if I don't agree due to her archer-ness), but why the hell does TAKUMI have votes?!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
archers are bad never use archers

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CptWedgie posted:

...Okay, I can understand Setsuna since she's underlevelled (even if I don't agree due to her archer-ness), but why the hell does TAKUMI have votes?!

Because this is a fire emblem lp and I wanna make him use the bad units

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Archer suck and are bad in FE games, and no bow damage buff or terrain immunity is fixing that. That said, this level is all fliers, so they're much less bad in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Archers are crucial to success in Fates, they got the best buffs in the game and are part of the weapon triangle. the strategy in this game relies the most on positioning too, and having someone to pick off an enemy from distance while also being ready in attack stance is big

like one that has decent strength or speed is pretty much a god :psyduck:

• Locked thread